HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
New plans for one of the few remaining development sites on Capitol Mall call for a slightly shorter residential tower, but more overall units and a second tower as well.

Nashville, Tennessee-based Southern Land Co. filed new plans with the city of Sacramento last week for the site known as Lot X at Third Street and Capitol Mall, now planned for two towers, of 26 and 14 stories, and a total of 438 rental units.

The shorter building replaces a five-story office building proposed in Southern Land Co.'s original application, filed in late 2021. Southern Land Co.'s release said the company dropped that plan after studying workforce needs and patterns, though office or flex space is expected to be included in the 14-story building.

Sacramento Business Journal
~Ben van de Meer

Full Article
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...s.html?ana=maz
You beat me to the punch... Below are more details and some drawings.

PLANS FOR THE TALLER TOWER - RESIDENTIAL TOWER SOUTH (Versus Previous Proposal):
  • Square Footage: 341,000 (Down from approximately 372,500)
  • Floors: 26 (Down from 32)
  • Height: 310 feet (Down from 372)
  • Number of Housing Units: 263 (Up from 243)
  • Primary Structural Material: Concrete

PLANS FOR THE SHORTER TOWER - RESIDENTIAL TOWER NORTH (Versus Previous Proposal):
  • Square Footage: 200,000 (Up from approximately 90,500)
  • Floors: 14 (Up from 5)
  • Height: 175 feet (Up from 72)
  • Number of Housing Units: 154 (N/A - Previous Proposal did not have any housing units, as it was meant to be an office building. Since nobody comes into work anymore, what's the point of more office space? As Urban mentioned, the shorter tower may have some office/flex space.)
  • Primary Structural Material: Mass Timber - this is pretty tall for a mass-timber structure.
  • Location: Northern part of Lot X, near 3rd Street and Crapitol Mall

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
  • The 8-story (90 feet) Parking Structure will be located between, and connected to, both towers. In the Previous Proposal, the Parking Structure was 7 floors, and I think it was only connected to the taller, residential building.
  • Residential Townhomes: The New Proposal includes 21 townhomes. That portion will be 5 floors (60 foot) and 37,000 square feet. The primary structural material is wood. The townhomes would be located on the southwest portion of Lot X, along N street and near the freeway. The Previous Proposal only called for 5 Residential Townhomes.
  • Retail Component: The New Proposal calls for about 11,000 square feet of retail. I am not sure how much retail the Previous Proposal had, but I think it may have been about the same.
  • Total Square Footage of Project: 758,000 square feet (Up from 588,000)
  • Total Numbeof Housing Units: 438 (Up from 248) - This number includes the 21 Residential Townhomes.

Of course, I know you are all here for the pics - see below. (Note: The New Proposal just dropped, so there are no fully rendered drawings.)

Last edited by snfenoc; Dec 24, 2022 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 1:00 AM
BUFF$LUT

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...itan-site.html

"Here's what's planned for a long-sought Downtown development site"

It's an article about the NE corner of 10th & J, where The Metropolitan was supposed to go. I'm on mobile so my apologies for the half-assed post. Saw the article and knew it had to get posted here.

I won't believe it until I see construction

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...itan-site.html

"Here's what's planned for a long-sought Downtown development site"

It's an article about the NE corner of 10th & J, where The Metropolitan was supposed to go. I'm on mobile so my apologies for the half-assed post. Saw the article and knew it had to get posted here.

I won't believe it until I see construction
Would you post the details when you get a chance. No subscription to the Biz Journal so I can't access the article.

Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 7:12 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieler View Post
Would you post the details when you get a chance. No subscription to the Biz Journal so I can't access the article.

Thanks!
The article says 10-12 stories of residential depending on other factors such as parking, retail etc. I would say more like 8.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 8:15 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
The article says 10-12 stories of residential depending on other factors such as parking, retail etc. I would say more like 8.
Agreed. But on the bright side a shorter project is more likely to get built on that 1/4 block crap hole, so I would take an 8 story project.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 8:19 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post

PLANS FOR THE TALLER TOWER - RESIDENTIAL TOWER SOUTH (Versus Previous Proposal):

PLANS FOR THE SHORTER TOWER - RESIDENTIAL TOWER NORTH (Versus Previous Proposal):
  • Number of Housing Units: 154 (N/A - Previous Proposal did not have any housing units, as it was meant to be an office building. Since nobody comes into work anymore, what's the point of more office space? As Urban mentioned, the shorter tower may have some office/flex space.)
  • Primary Structural Material: Mass Timber - this is pretty tall for a mass-timber structure.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
  • The 8-story (90 feet) Parking Structure will be located between, and connected to, both towers. In the Previous Proposal, the Parking Structure was 7 floors, and I think it was only connected to the taller, residential building.
  • Residential Townhomes: The New Proposal includes 21 townhomes. That portion will be 5 floors (60 foot) and 37,000 square feet. The primary structural material is wood. The townhomes would be located on the southwest portion of Lot X, along N street and near the freeway. The Previous Proposal only called for 5 Residential Townhomes.
  • Retail Component: The New Proposal calls for about 11,000 square feet of retail. I am not sure how much retail the Previous Proposal had, but I think it may have been about the same.
  • Total Numbeof Housing Units: 438 (Up from 248) - This number includes the 21 Residential Townhomes.

Of course, I know you are all here for the pics - see below. (Note: The New Proposal just dropped, so there are no fully rendered drawings.)

The last time we had a two tower proposal we ended up with a hole in the ground for over a decade and still waiting for a project.

I suspect the 14 story tower will be constructed first and they’ll see how well apartment units lease. We’ll see.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 1:57 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieler View Post

Thanks!
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...e.html?ana=maz

January 09, 2023
By Ben van der Meer

A new investor has bought the site of a long-stalled project in Downtown Sacramento, with plans to develop more than 200 residential units there.
RCB Equities #1, with an address in Los Angeles, bought 1023 J St. in late December for $7 million, according to property records.
A message left with Brian Dror, listed online as an agent/representative for the buyers, was not immediately returned Monday.

Greg Levi of JLL, one of the brokers on the sale, said in an email that the new owners plan to develop a 250-unit multifamily project on the site. Currently developed with vacant buildings, including the former Biltmore Hotel, 1023 J St. is best known in recent years as the proposed site of the Metropolitan, a 40-story building of as many as 350 condo and hotel units. Developer John Saca proposed and got city approvals for that project, but never got any further, even after urban infill developer Sotiris Kolokotronis joined the project in 2018. Entitlements were set to expire on the Metropolitan last year.

(See Sacramento Business Journal for complete story)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 7:45 PM

Only in Sacramento could you take an already embarrassing high building and make it even shorter.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 1:43 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Proud View Post
Only in Sacramento could you take an already embarrassing high building and make it even shorter.
I’m not certain what the magic number is for Sacramento that would open the floodgates of true high rise residential towers. A wild guess would be twenty stories. The Southern Land Company might have the best opportunity since unproven markets are their specialty and I thought I had read that they bankroll their own projects.

I don’t know what will end up there but I know office towers are no longer in our future so it will be up to the residential high density housing market to grow our pitiful skyline. But honestly, if it’s a quality project regardless of the height, I would be happy with it.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 1:42 AM

One Downtown Sacramento housing project still planned, but another appears dead
By Ben van der Meer – Senior Reporter, Sacramento Business Journal
Feb 27, 2023
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...acramento.html

Quote:
Eyes might have widened a bit at last week's State of Downtown event, when the Downtown Sacramento Partnership listed two long-planned projects on K Street as coming soon in a slide presentation.

As it turns out, the 10K project by Mohanna Development Co. and the 800 K/801 L project by CFY Development Inc. are on different trajectories these days, though construction for neither is imminent...

CFY Development 8th & K Project:

Quote:
...CFY Development may have to start over entirely for its project covering two vacant sites across K and L streets a couple blocks to the west.

Entitlements for that project expired last October...
Frankly, I am happy to see CFY's 8th & K project go back to the drawing board. The proposal was only 5 or 6 floors, and the design was nothing special.

I think we've had our fill of cookie cutter 4-to-8-story boxes.

Of course, I prefer high-rise towers. However, we've been told ad nauseum that tall buildings do not "pencil" out, and I'm OK with that. Shorter, midrise buildings are fine IF the designs are good.

Here's the problem: With the exception of a small minority, most proposals are really boring. (Also, is it me, or are they are all starting to look the same?)

I would like to see beautiful or (at least) interesting proposals. So, even if a tall building is not in the cards for 8th and K, I hope the developer comes back with a better design.

For example, here are a couple Google Maps screen grabs of a residential building in Los Angeles, by the Beverly Center:

The building is only 6-1/2 floors. However, its design is waaaayyy more interesting than the crap that most developers propose for Sacramento. True, the building is on a triangular property, and that probably dictated the "curvalicious" lines. However, an oddly shaped property is not required to build something interesting.

Mohanna 15-story, "10K" project:

Quote:
"Yes the project is still in the works, the entitlements are active, but we are cautiously waiting on market conditions to improve (construction costs, interest rates, overall downtown environment post-pandemic)," said Nikky Mohanna, principal at Sacramento-based Mohanna Development, in an email...
I am glad that Mohanna's 10K project has not been withdrawn.

10K would be 15 floors: 186 apartments; 205 hotel rooms; ground-floor retail; and a floor dedicated to co-living (separate bedrooms and bathrooms with shared living areas).

Yes, it's also another box... But it's a 15-story box! I'll take 15 floors over the 4-to-8-story projects that we see most of the time. Plus, the design actually looks like it belongs in a city.

Still, I am not optimistic about the 10K project getting built as planned. Entitlements will expire in June, and I don't think the market will change enough in the project's favor by then. (Who know? It may get worse.)

Plus, I ran the numbers, and I think 10K would cost at least $90 million... Possibly more? (Maybe the construction people on this forum can correct me if I am wrong.) Even in good times, I am not sure the project could generate enough revenue to cover all the costs and turn a profit within say 10 or possibly 15 years.

While I am on my soapbox...
I read that a developer has expressed interest in the entire block north of the "new" CalPERS headquarters. (That would be 1801 3rd Street, which is on the southeast corner of 3rd and R streets. Currently, it's a surface parking lot / COVID testing site.)

Get this: The developer wants to build a 300-unit, 5-story residential project... Yuck!

There is no way that an entire block should be covered with a sprawling, 5-story building. (Especially, when the site is so close to downtown.)

If the developer wanted to split the block in two, construct an 8 to 10-story, 300-unit residential building on one half, and sell the other half, then great! I have no problem with that.

But another 5-story box (I assume it's a box), covering an entire block is just so bland... and criminal.

What is wrong with these developers? They had their fun with the gray-on-beige boxes. Now, it's time for them to step up their game. Sacramento deserves better.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 4:41 PM

Any updates on the new Kaiser Tower? Keep seeing some headlines but everything is behind a pay wall.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadvocate View Post
Any updates on the new Kaiser Tower? Keep seeing some headlines but everything is behind a pay wall.
In the recent State of the Downtown meeting Kaiser said it will happen "for sure" but no mention of start dates that I caught.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 11:14 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
I find it odd that there isn't a rendering on the web of what the building is going look like after renovation - unless of course they are only gutting the inside and not the outside. I was under the impression that there would be a new exterior skin.
i did read that this building rehabilitation will include new exterior cladding and windows.

(Although, I’m certain by now, that it’s becoming obvious).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 6:27 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Light Rail Modernization: New Low-Floor Light Rail Vehicles  
March 7, 2023

The majority of SacRT’s existing light rail vehicles have reached their useful life and SacRT is in need of new light rail vehicles. In April 2020, SacRT and Siemens Mobility executed a contract for the purchase of new low-floor light rail vehicles, which are built in south Sacramento.

The new low-floor vehicles will provide easier access at every doorway, a spacious seating design, and large windows for better light and views. They will feature improved accessibility with wider aisles and areas for bicycles. The new low-floor vehicles will increase overall operational flexibility by providing more access to passengers with disabilities.

SacRT was awarded funding specifically for the Gold Line to modernize the light rail fleet. SacRT has executed contracts with Siemens Mobility for the purchase of 28 new low-floor light rail vehicles and has the option for the purchase of up to 76 vehicles. SacRT is currently in the process of getting additional funding to purchase more vehicles.

The new low-floor light rail trains will only use three new Siemens (S700) light rail vehicles, since there are several city blocks in downtown Sacramento that are not long enough to accommodate four of the S700 vehicles while meeting ADA requirements for the bridge plate to land 8” above the top of the street.

The first new low-floor train was delivered to SacRT in March 2023 and begins a rigorous testing process. The first low-floor vehicles are scheduled to be ready for revenue service in summer 2024.

https://www.sacrt.com/apps/lr-modernization-2/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 2:03 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The article mentions that the new floor trains will only use up to three cars.
I haven’t seen four car trains since just before the Covid Pandemic. I just don’t think the demand is there. Usually they’re two car trains.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 3:15 PM

Quote:
This is much needed. The current train cars are ugly inside.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Do they have a potential start date for construction?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 7:41 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
How would they handle handicap access since a lot of people use those huge concrete loading platforms that they took out of the stations?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 2:47 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
How would they handle handicap access since a lot of people use those huge concrete loading platforms that they took out of the stations?
These are low-floor trains. You roll directly onto the trains from the platform. Gold Line is raising their platforms by about 9" to bring them to the level of the train floor. The planned streetcar line to West Sacramento was/is going to use the same vehicles, just geared for street speeds.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 3:34 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
More State Funds For Sacramento Valley Station Redevelopment

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON APRIL 28, 2023

More funds have been secured for the Sacramento Valley Station redevelopment plan, a vision to shape the city’s historic transit hub and seventh busiest Amtrak station in the county into a dense pedestrian-oriented destination. The State awarded $42 million to the Capitol Corridor Joint Powers Authority to fund the new bus depot, part of the early phasing for construction.

The funds are expected to go towards a new bus depot and mobility hub at Valley Station. The bus depot, with an estimated cost of $140 million, will be part of the decade-long plan to connect the train stop to light rail, buses, and bicycle networks. The most significant addition will be a long canopy-capped concourse directing passengers from the station to the train tracks. A conceptual site-map envisions mid-rise and high-rise housing immediately beside the transit plaza. West of the transit center, landscaping and open-air amenities will populate the pathway to the Sacramento River.
https://sfyimby.com/2023/04/more-sta...velopment.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area