HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 5:15 PM
recession proof

There's a bunch of KK's in downtown Toronto around Chinatown. And one recently opened at Bloor and Jane. Probably the same owners expanding to Hamilton.

I used to really enjoy Holtom's Bakery donuts in Erin, Ontario: I stopped by to look, not touch on Sunday:
https://imgur.com/a/PtVFLuz

In Toronto, I used to enjoy those Polish Paczki donuts.

Anyway, gluten unfortunately makes me extremely sick, so all these evil chains employing racist TFW are off limits.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Jan 10, 2024 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 6:31 PM
Great White Norf

Krispy Kreme will be forever in my memory bank as tasting like pure lard and sugar.

urbandreamer, I love the Polish jelly filled donuts. There used to be (haven't been since prepandemic) an old Polish guy at St. Catharines farmer's market that sold them and made decent rye bread to boot. Fyi, every Spring you can even get Paczki (pahch-kee) at Giant Tiger and certain grocery stores. I would imagine in Toronto there must be a bakery or two left in Roncesvalles (Roncy) that makes them fresh?
niwell? niwell?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 7:13 PM
recession proof

Yep, many bakeries make them. There's a good one in Bloor West Village - Janchenko's Bakery, and in Kitchener I used to go to a place near St Mary's hospital: Nougat.

The first donut I ever ate, probably on my 3rd or 4th birthday, came from Dilly's Donuts on Hwy 23: I still think that was the best donut ever.

I noticed Giant Tiger, at least in Stratford and other Perth County locations, sells Anna Mae's baked goods, as does Stemmler's Meats in Heidelberg. They now put all kinds of cheap ingredients in their baked goods like calcium propanoate and msg, which extends shelf life.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Jan 10, 2024 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Krispy Kreme will be forever in my memory bank as tasting like pure lard and sugar.
I would imagine in Toronto there must be a bakery or two left in Roncesvalles (Roncy) that makes them fresh?
niwell? niwell?

There are Polish Bakeries all over the city that still make them. One by near me in Leslieville makes them. I confess I've never been inside a Polish bakery as far as I know.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 7:39 PM
recession proof

^They're kind of intimidating ha, as I find Polish, Russian and Ukrainians very cold, formal and generally unfriendly towards us English. I remember an old boss of mine, a Polish guy, almost fired me on my first day at job when he asked me what I thought of it "a bloody bore" I'd replied. (He interpreted that as me threatening to kill him.)

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 7:43 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
There are Polish Bakeries all over the city that still make them. One by near me in Leslieville makes them. I confess I've never been inside a Polish bakery as far as I know.
Try a Paczki. They come in all sorts of fruit flavours, depending on bakery. It's like the original powdered sugar jelly filled donut

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 7:45 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
^They're kind of intimidating ha, as I find Polish, Russian and Ukrainians very cold, formal and generally unfriendly towards us English. I remember an old boss of mine, a Polish guy, almost fired me on my first day at job when he asked me what I thought of it "a bloody bore" I'd replied. (He interpreted that as me threatening to kill him.)
I haven't found that at all. One of my closest friends is Russian from Moscow.
And in my humble experience, Polish people will "love" you if you learn just a few Polish words and "impress" them.

If you take the slightest interest in their language or culture you'll see how quickly they warm up.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 8:42 PM
sick transit, gloria

There's a couple Polish bakeries on Roncesvalles in Toronto still (in addition to some restaurants/bars) - Chicago Bakery and Deli, and Benna's. I've been in both but never seen/purchased the donuts in question - I'm sure they have them though! The bread/deli meats at both are incredibly cheap, but I feel bad paying with card and rarely have cash. Also Benna's has frozen pierogis that are both incredible and well-priced. I've made them from scratch before but it's not worth it IMO.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 9:15 PM
recession proof

Wigs, I worked with a few dozen Polish, Russian and Ukrainians recently. I would say the only stereotype that remained true of them,is how often they'd miss work due to getting drunk or lose their licenses from drunk driving. A few warmed up to me after I told them about my sister - she lived in Kiev for many years and loved her trips to "Western Civilization" aka Poland ha.

In particular, try the plum butter Paczki, pronounced more like "punchkey." Eastern Europeans eat them in the weeks leading up to Lent. I was introduced to them 25 years ago at long gone, beloved Queen West institution Prague Deli.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 9:49 PM
Great White Norf

urbandreamer, I've had completely different experiences with a variety of Slavic folks whether Ukrainian, Russian, Polish, or one of my bestest friends ever south Slavic/Bosnian. Kind hearted, Hard workers that put most native born Canucks' work ethic to shame.

At any rate, poonchkey/punchkey/pahchkey however the individual pronounces them, everyone should try a well made Paczki at least once. I agree on the plum flavour but enjoy them all. Certainly puts Tim's and Krispy Kreme lard donuts to shame.

niwell, we'll do a tour of wherever the highest concentration of Polish businesses are one day. Enjoy some piwo (pee-voh) on a patio as well

Last edited by Wigs; Jan 11, 2024 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 10:08 PM
recession proof

They're eaten on Fat Tuesday, or as us English call it, Pancake Tuesday towards the end of February.

I always wondered why my Polish coworkers rigidly supported the Pittsburgh Steelers until I discovered recently why, because Steeltown is full of working class Polish immigrants. I do go to Starsky in Mississauga occasionally for Eastern European groceries. Beautiful ladies, but I think it'll take a few more generations for them to integrate.

I used to work with Serbians in Waterloo. They sure love their 1990s VW & Mercedes sedans ha. In fact 40 years ago, we attended St George's Serbian Orthodox Church in North Waterloo/St Jacobs, iirc it was in the original building before they built the church.

On the subject of Roncesvalles bakeries, Tim Hortons is opening 2 more locations. And I've noticed how Roncesvalles is increasingly going in two opposing directions 1) very posh boutiques and 2) South Asian restaurants

Last edited by urbandreamer; Jan 10, 2024 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Krispy Kreme to open Hamilton location
The Rymal Road East location will feature a theatre area, allowing customers the chance to see the doughnuts being made fresh.

https://www.thespec.com/business/kri...1894fb9ba.html

Hamiltonians are known to love their doughnuts — and soon, there will be another spot to get their fill.

Levi Hetrick, chief growth officer and operating partner at Krispy Kreme Canada, confirmed to The Spectator that the multinational doughnut and coffee chain will be opening a new “theatre hub” location at 1280 Rymal Rd. E.
It's just one location for a city as large as Hamilton. And it's really close to a Mr Puffs location which is a Quebec-based chain that is much more with the times than Krispy Kreme.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
It's just one location for a city as large as Hamilton. And it's really close to a Mr Puffs location which is a Quebec-based chain that is much more with the times than Krispy Kreme.
I had no idea Mr Puff's was a chain. We get them from their Barton location sometimes. It think it's really good fried dough, but I don't care a lot for all the toppings (my wife likes all the toppings, so we compromise, and get them with toppings...)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Wigs, I worked with a few dozen Polish, Russian and Ukrainians recently. I would say the only stereotype that remained true of them,is how often they'd miss work due to getting drunk or lose their licenses from drunk driving. A few warmed up to me after I told them about my sister - she lived in Kiev for many years and loved her trips to "Western Civilization" aka Poland ha.
As someone of Polish and Ukrainian decent, I would like to tell you that you are an ignorant fool for stereotyping people of ethnic backgrounds in a certain way. As you are an American or of American decent (from what I gather anyway), believe me, I could easily portray you in the light that most of the world views the Yankees, which isn't positive.

Oh, and the proper Ukrainian spelling is Kyiv, as Kiev is the Russian colonial spelling. You can at least tone down your ignorance in some aspects.

Last edited by Justanothermember; Jan 11, 2024 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 2:03 AM
recession proof

Funnily enough my sister learned Russian in Kyiv - took her just two years to become fluent. She returned to Canada just before the so called Orange Revolution. Most of the Eastern Europeans I've met were working class: plumbers, electricians, cleaners, factory workers so yeah, I'm judging them ha. (Every Thursday like clockwork a few would call in sick...) Meanwhile my sister was a teacher and thus met educated elites. However, she agreed there were many drunkards and drunk drivers etc. Her Russian teacher lost her only son to a drunk driver.

I just got back from a walk down Roncesvalles and wow, there's only 5 Polish owned places left, including Intersteer, Chopin and 2 delis. I believe the community has mostly moved to East Mississauga and Upper Oakville, possibly some other places north & maybe St Catharines?

Dipp Donuts & Coffee is a newish spot on Queen West as is Maverick Donuts.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 2:19 AM
Great White Norf

urbandreamer,

Last edited by Wigs; Jan 11, 2024 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 2:21 AM

I think the first go around of KK backfired on themselves because they gave away too many donuts. They saw the huge popularity when people did fund raisers and went down to Mississauga and brought back hundreds of boxes of donuts in vans that they pre-sold. So they decided to open the stores, they were huge and they were packed for a while. I don't know how many times I went to the London store but when I did, they would give me 3 or 4 freebies while I stood in line watching the conveyor with the donuts being made, then I didn't end up buying a box when I got the front of the line, I would buy a couple because I felt guilty for the freebies.

Then they went into McDonalds. They got too big too fast. And yes I heard the same that their coffee sucked and that's what did them in. The other thing was I didn't like the selections available. While I'm no fan of Timmy's now with their huge selection of mediocre foods, they did have a good selection of different things 20 years ago. Cookies, muffins, bagels, a couple types of sandwiches and soups. That was the kind of stuff I went for back then and KK offered none of it, so I didn't go there as much as I could have. I imagine lots of people were like that and it showed with how quickly they disappeared from most markets. Now, I have no interest in either place, so KK can open across the road from my house for all I care.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 2:23 AM
recession proof

Yeah, I remembered St Kitts because my first college girlfriend was half Polish half Ukrainian from Thorold. Iirc her parents worked in a GMC engine plant. I believe she married a Russian guy so is she a traitor?!

As for my Ukrainian connections, my great grandparents were a huge contributor to Ukrainian migration to Manitoba in the early 1900s, setting up a charity and lobbying the Canadian government. They were appalled by the poverty and living conditions of Ukrainian immigrants, many businesses in Winnipeg refused to hire them, which led to the General Strike of 1919. A book came out a few years ago about the situation.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Jan 11, 2024 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I remembered St Kitts because my first college girlfriend was half Polish half Ukrainian from Thorold. Iirc her parents worked in a GMC engine plant. I believe she married a Russian guy so is she a traitor?!

As for my Ukrainian connections, my great grandparents were a huge contributor to Ukrainian migration to Manitoba in the early 1900s, setting up a charity and lobbying the Canadian government. They were appalled by the poverty and living conditions of Ukrainian immigrants, many businesses in Winnipeg refused to hire them, which led to the General Strike of 1919. A book came out a few years ago about the situation.
Hell I have a St Kitts and Polish connection as well. And Shocking a GM engine plant connections. Lot of relatives still in the area. Parents met there. Family is Polish. And Had an Uncle that was an exec at the Engine plant, so we were able to tour the plant. As for Roncesvalles when I lived in TO that area was my second home. Sorry that there are so few good places left. Even though Edmonton has a huge Polish population there are few good bakeries or delis. My favorite Bakery here is Ukrainian.

Going Back to St Kitts this summer and will be wondering around looking for family ghosts.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 3:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I think the first go around of KK backfired on themselves because they gave away too many donuts. They saw the huge popularity when people did fund raisers and went down to Mississauga and brought back hundreds of boxes of donuts in vans that they pre-sold. So they decided to open the stores, they were huge and they were packed for a while. I don't know how many times I went to the London store but when I did, they would give me 3 or 4 freebies while I stood in line watching the conveyor with the donuts being made, then I didn't end up buying a box when I got the front of the line, I would buy a couple because I felt guilty for the freebies.

Then they went into McDonalds. They got too big too fast. And yes I heard the same that their coffee sucked and that's what did them in. The other thing was I didn't like the selections available. While I'm no fan of Timmy's now with their huge selection of mediocre foods, they did have a good selection of different things 20 years ago. Cookies, muffins, bagels, a couple types of sandwiches and soups. That was the kind of stuff I went for back then and KK offered none of it, so I didn't go there as much as I could have. I imagine lots of people were like that and it showed with how quickly they disappeared from most markets. Now, I have no interest in either place, so KK can open across the road from my house for all I care.
I remember they made a huge marketing splash with Walmart, and how you'd have a centrally-located display of daily fresh Krispy Kreme donuts in the middle of the aisle right near the checkouts. I guess it was to be a "destination item" but who goes to Walmart every day (or even once in a while) to pick up donuts? (Or at least how many to justify the resources both food and staff-wise to produce that?)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada