HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 11:31 AM

Does anybody know if any of the residential portion of Fundy Quay is planned to be condominium?

It's always seemed strange to me that SJ (especially uptown) doesn't have more condo development. Given the changing demographics condos would seem a natural next move for many empty nesters as well as an entry point onto the property ladder for young professionals.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Does anybody know if any of the residential portion of Fundy Quay is planned to be condominium?

It's always seemed strange to me that SJ (especially uptown) doesn't have more condo development. Given the changing demographics condos would seem a natural next move for many empty nesters as well as an entry point onto the property ladder for young professionals.
The developer advertised it only as apartments. I’m curious if they’ll make one of them condos to finance faster construction.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
The developer advertised it only as apartments. I’m curious if they’ll make one of them condos to finance faster construction.
They probably can't do it because the developer doesn't own the land (at least not for 25 years). Condo is property ownership.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, Condo development certainly makes financing easier. Banks like presales and deposits. Good point about the land ownership though....at least as far as Fundy Quay goes. It does makes you wonder if it wouldn't make sense for 99 King?

Last edited by sailor734; Aug 25, 2023 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2023, 6:28 PM

Quote:
It is disappointing, but somewhat mitigated by the fact this will be a high quality build like Queens Marque in Halifax. It definitely adds to Saint John’s biggest strength compared to other cities and that’s having beautiful and inspiring spaces (thanks to be surrounded by water on all edges of city and rapid expansion when architecture was king).
I just spent a few nights at the Muir in Halifax, and if we get something that resembles the Queens Marque it will be incredibly worth the wait. That development is pretty special and totally above anything existing in NB and just what SJ needs. It would be a bit of a cherry on top of the uptown experience and really make Uptown SJ unique. Fingers crossed this gets started and lives up to the potential.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 2:39 PM

Watching the webcam and noticed that today they are moving all the pallets of materials in the south-western area and the small amount that was in the south-eastern area, over to near the new ice rink and stage.

Last edited by DyAm00394; Aug 30, 2023 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Watching the webcam and noticed that today they are moving all the pallets of materials in the south-western area and the small amount that was in the south-eastern area, over to near the new ice rink and stage.
I noticed they started doing that yesterday when I was walking past. I assumed it was to make room for the increasing amount of Harbour Passage construction going on, but I am optimistic it is to clear the space for the developer to start soon.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 2:19 PM

Just a update screenshot of the property. They are now working away on the Harbour Passage extension in the South-Western and North-Western sides of the property. We shall soon see if the announced Fall start of the private portion happens.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 12:50 PM

Any guesses for what are the items kept inside the yellow fencing in the centre of the site? It's yellow or wrapped in yellow. The color and shape [and wishful thinking] makes me think it could be parts for a crane - counter weights or something. They've been kept there untouched since July. And for some reason it is kept inside its own inclosure fencing that's the same color as the items.

I've been curious for a while but today the morning sun seems to be shining a spotlight on the bright yellow more, so I thought I'd post the question.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabien View Post
Any guesses for what are the items kept inside the yellow fencing in the centre of the site? It's yellow or wrapped in yellow. The color and shape [and wishful thinking] makes me think it could be parts for a crane - counter weights or something. They've been kept there untouched since July. And for some reason it is kept inside its own inclosure fencing that's the same color as the items.

I've been curious for a while but today the morning sun seems to be shining a spotlight on the bright yellow more, so I thought I'd post the question.
My best guess would be power units for a Liebherr tower crane. I say that with 5% confidence because why are there two, plus they seem a bit large.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 4:14 PM

I drove by. Looks like yellow fencing stacked, just looks like something solid on cam

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 4:31 PM

Quote:
I drove by. Looks like yellow fencing stacked, just looks like something solid on cam
Well I'm glad they're protecting their stacks of yellow fencing with other yellow fencing

Perhaps the fact that it's separate and distinct from the main site fencing indicates that it could belong to a different contractor - as in a contractor that'll be working on a project other than the one that the city is currently working on...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 3:54 AM
Unregistered Loser

They’re hiding the transformers being hoarded from 99 King.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 4:22 PM

I've seen on the webcam footage that today they've brought in a construction trailer that is now sitting in the South-Eastern area.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I've seen on the webcam footage that today they've brought in a construction trailer that is now sitting in the South-Eastern area.

Maybe that’s the first building 😉

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Interesting - can’t see it being for Loyalist Plaza reno as it’s on its final stretch now to December. So if it’s for Fundy Quay, its location seems far away from the smaller building they’ll start with. Maybe they found a transformer and starting with the 16 story one.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 12:18 PM

I might be seeing things I want to see, but I swear from the street I saw the start of a concrete pad being laid out next to the yellow fenced area in the centre of the site. Maybe it’s an infrastructure piece, but I can dream of a tower crane base, right?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
I might be seeing things I want to see, but I swear from the street I saw the start of a concrete pad being laid out next to the yellow fenced area in the centre of the site. Maybe it’s an infrastructure piece, but I can dream of a tower crane base, right?
I don’t think they’d use a tower crane for a 6 story. Prob just the type the AQ is currently using.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 11:51 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
I don’t think they’d use a tower crane for a 6 story. Prob just the type the AQ is currently using.
This is usually the case as I've seen but the 6-story apartment building on Technology Drive near Xerox used a full tower crane.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 6:54 PM

Considering the cost of installing a base and erecting a crane, I’m curious if they decided to put in a location that can be used for all buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces