HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 6:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If the intent of this group is to prevent this particular development, rather than to ensure that this development proceeds, but only under the proper circumstances, perhaps you should rethink your support. There could be unintended consequences to signing a poorly worded or vague petition.

My position is that highway commercial development will occur along the TCH, and especially at the junction with a major connector like Mapleton Road. Our job is to ensure that this development occurs in a well thought out manner, with the appropriate enhancements to necessary infrastructure, with improvements to roadways and signalizations and with the least inconvenience to existing residents of the area. This should be the focus, not blind opposition to any development whatsoever......

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

If the intent of this group is to prevent this particular development, rather than to ensure that this development proceeds, but only under the proper circumstances, perhaps you should rethink your support. There could be unintended consequences to signing a poorly worded or vague petition.

My position is that highway commercial development will occur along the TCH, and especially at the junction with a major connector like Mapleton Road. Our job is to ensure that this development occurs in a well thought out manner, with the appropriate enhancements to necessary infrastructure, with improvements to roadways and signalizations and with the least inconvenience to existing residents of the area. This should be the focus, not blind opposition to any development whatsoever......

What ticks me off about these groups and other special interest groups in the province are the NIMBY's. These re the folks that are setting back the city and the province back. But I am 100% for this development to proceed as planned but I know significant upgrades needs to be done in the area. My main question was where were these SAME people when the Hampton Inn got built on the other side of the street? Did they oppose that project like that. My Take lets build it and at the end it will create good construction jobs for the city and long term full time and part time jobs.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
My main question was where were these SAME people when the Hampton Inn got built on the other side of the street? Did they oppose that project like that.
The city did a traffic study in 2007 and were recommended to upgrade the intersection back then. They've still done nothing. This is one of the main concerns.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
The city did a traffic study in 2007 and were recommended to upgrade the intersection back then. They've still done nothing. This is one of the main concerns.
That sux that the city did that study and they did not extend mapleton road upgrades beyond the TCH.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:18 PM

Always easy to blame nimbies when it's someone else's backyard.

Sometimes squashing development is good. No need for more sprawl. Tons of suitable room elsewhere.

I hope the residents win this one.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 10:02 PM

Everyone talking about mapleton road and missed a big thing! The Magnetic Hill zoo has some new babies on display for the next month to few months.. Thanks to the Tigers! Three tiger cubs playing and running around!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:04 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is a Canadel Factory Store moving into Hasting's Ridge on Mountain Road.

http://canadel.com/en/

Since Barnaby's Furniture carries Canadel, and the owner of Barnaby's also owns Hasting's Ridge, I can see how this connection could be made. This will essentially be an extension of Barnaby's.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:

I am all for safety, but not for stopping the development so yeah, I changed my mind and am not signing that. I checked the sign at work and it's STOP THE REZONING, they are just using 'safety' as a cover up to not have this in their backyard.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
I am all for safety, but not for stopping the development so yeah, I changed my mind and am not signing that. I checked the sign at work and it's STOP THE REZONING, they are just using 'safety' as a cover up to not have this in their backyard.
Petitioning the city from rushing to rezone that residential area before construction beings this fall is literally the only way to slow the project enough to get the city to fix the intersection before construction begins.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Petitioning the city from rushing to rezone that residential area before construction beings this fall is literally the only way to slow the project enough to get the city to fix the intersection before construction begins.
I know, but again, signing a poorly worded or ambiguous petition might have the unintended consequence of banning all future development in the area rather than simply delaying development until necessary infrastructure improvements have been made.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I know, but again, signing a poorly worded or ambiguous petition might have the unintended consequence of banning all future development in the area rather than simply delaying development until necessary infrastructure improvements have been made.
The petition itself isn't going to stop anything. What it's doing is getting people talking about something that would have been quickly swept under the rug. The residents were only formally notified in writing from the city last week, with construction starting next month. I guess you could thank this forum for the petition, since the project was first posted here, I had sent that info to some relatives that live in the area, who had no idea this was happening, which started the whole movement a month ago

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Whoops........

Anyway, I think we can all agree that the Mapleton/TCH intersection is a disaster. If the net result of all this is that necessary upgrades are made to the area, then this would be a win-win situation for everyone.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I think we can all agree that the Mapleton/TCH intersection is a disaster. If the net result of all this is that necessary upgrades are made to the area, then this would be a win-win situation for everyone.
It really is all about safety. There's young families across the street and in the area, and no traffic lights or sidewalks. Which is normal for a country road. This development will create the traffic and congestion of a busy commercial district with the same insufficient country road infrastructure.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:32 PM

Quote:
For me and my family and neighbours, it IS about safety, as it seemed with many in our neighbourhood who signed it. Signing it, even if it wasn't worded in the exact way everyone had wanted, is the only avenue we have of slowing things down until area is made conducive to desired developments. I am just glad that someone had the fortitude and time to get some sort of movement going. We all talk about it but only few actually make action, and for that I am thankful that Andy Quinlan did. However we would all have to be living in bubbles to think that the area will NEVER be developed. With this petition at least it may slow it down and we all know now that it is definitely getting attention now. Heck the only people notified officially by the City were us within 100m radius of it, and that notice was hidden on a Public Events bulletin promoting the Mudcity Meltdown. The land in question could be re-applied for rezoning shortly time and time again until one side caves. Maybe conditions can be imposed to appease all parties but that could be an avenue of interest, similar to mediation.

A lot of signers liked the hotel idea, were not happy with gas station and fast food, and 50/50 on other restaurants. All were concerned with safety though. It in it's final concept is a nice clean development (aside from yet another gas station and fast food pit). It will provide economic spin-offs for Moncton and possible jobs for us and our families, having it in our backyard is not the issue with me nor with most in Mapleton Place and Mapleton Heights.

As for the thought of Jack Astor's, Milestones and McDonald's being names in this development, it may just be a wish. Doing some research with other similar establishments in the area, there isn't enough of a baseline customer flow to meet requirements of Jack Astor's and Milestones. The franchisee of Mag Hill McDonald's had been rumoured saying that they did not think another could be established without proper corporate diligence, which hadn't been done yet....again just rumour.

I joined this forum to get a feel for the pulse of our City and area. I love growth, and want things to succeed without undesired sacrifice. I may not be the best on understanding some rules and regs in the business and municipal by-law world but through this forum and digging around I am starting to learn an itty bitty at a time and I thank you all for your input regardless of views.

Last edited by Mapleton_Roadie; Jul 15, 2016 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 5:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

We're an open forum and all points of view are respected (although trollish behavior isn't). Your points of view are quite reasonable.

I think on this issue, there is general agreement on what needs to be done. There are just shades of grey in terms of how to accomplish this.

The Infrastructure around the Mapleton/TCH area needs to be upgraded. Everyone agrees on this.
- Does this particular development need to be delayed to allow this to happen? Maybe, but perhaps the upgrades could be done concurrently.
- Is this a high quality development? I think most people would say yes, but I can agree with the comments about the service station and the convenience store. These may still be necessary though, especially if one of the intentions of this development is to attract traffic from off the TCH.
- The restaurants would be quite welcome. Both Jack Astor's and Milestones would add a lot to the food offerings in the area. I think Montana's, Moxie's and East Side Mario's are all busy enough to allow for some more competition

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 1:34 AM

Quote:

We're an open forum and all points of view are respected (although trollish behavior isn't). Your points of view are quite reasonable.

I think on this issue, there is general agreement on what needs to be done. There are just shades of grey in terms of how to accomplish this.

The Infrastructure around the Mapleton/TCH area needs to be upgraded. Everyone agrees on this.
- Does this particular development need to be delayed to allow this to happen? Maybe, but perhaps the upgrades could be done concurrently.
- Is this a high quality development? I think most people would say yes, but I can agree with the comments about the service station and the convenience store. These may still be necessary though, especially if one of the intentions of this development is to attract traffic from off the TCH.
- The restaurants would be quite welcome. Both Jack Astor's and Milestones would add a lot to the food offerings in the area. I think Montana's, Moxie's and East Side Mario's are all busy enough to allow for some more competition
I think we will go broke with babysitter fees and get big bellies if those restaurants do indeed set up shop this close....will have to exercise restraint and maybe act like a responsible adult (one who is wise with spending his money), haha!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 10:02 PM

Anyone else have any information about A restaurant called Acadian Poutine that will be opening soon in this strip plaza on Horsman road.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
Anyone else have any information about A restaurant called Acadian Poutine that will be opening soon in this strip plaza on Horsman road.

Not 100% certain but think it's the same owner/restaurant that has a location at 70 Irving Blvd in Bouctouche.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 12:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Odd place for a restaurant - commercial/industrial, not commercial/retail.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 3:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Since there is cross-talk on two different [Moncton] threads regarding the Holiday Inn development off of Mapleton, I will repost this excerpt from City Councils' decision from last night here.

Quote:
4.2 Public Hearing – Rezoning Application for 777 Mapleton Rd. (PID 001019579, 01019587,
70214630 and 70199351) – Objections received

Motion: That the amendment process for Municipal Plan By-law amendment Z-113.11 and Zoning By-law amendment Z-213.30 proceed. This will allow the rezoning of property at 777 Mapleton Road (PIDs 001019579, 01019587, 70214630, 00942185 and 70199351) from R1A (Single Unit Dwelling Zone) and R2 (Two Unit Dwelling Zone) to HC (Highway Commercial Zone) in order to accommodate a highway commercial development that includes a 120 suite Holiday Inn Express, Convenience Store and Gas Bar with a fast food drive thru restaurant, and area for two additional full service restaurants.

Further, that the rezoning shall be subject to a conditional rezoning agreement, including but not limited to the following conditions:
- 1) That a pedestrian crossing be installed on Mapleton Road on the north side of the Northwood Road intersection;
- 2) That pedestrian sidewalks /pathway be constructed into the development from Mapleton Road and Queensway Drive and throughout the development as shown on the site plan;
- 3) Prior to issuing any building permits, that the developer agrees to contribute $48,678 for 122 metres of curb, sidewalk and landscaping (excluding driveway opening) along Mapleton Road frontage, engineering and tax included. Work to be done by City when it undertakes future street improvements;
- 4) Prior to issuing any building permits, that the developer agrees to contribute $85,496 for a 177 metres of curb, sidewalk and landscaping (excluding driveway opening) along Queensway Drive frontage, engineering and tax included. Work to be done by City when it undertakes future street improvements;
- 5) The development shall be carried out in substantial conformance with the plans and drawings submitted; and
- 6) That the $1000 security deposit required for a Conditional Rezoning Agreement and by- law registry fees be paid prior to registration.

Moved by: Councillor Boudreau Seconded by: Councillor Turner
MOTION CARRIED
Nay :
Councillor Pellerin
Councillor Butler
No mention at all of concerns regarding access/egress from adjacent residential neighbourhoods or traffic concerns regarding the TCH/Mapleton interchange......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces