HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 8:45 PM
I am a typical

www.speedtest.net

Cable internet gives you a "power boost" thing, so it speeds up a download for a few seconds when it starts but then gets down to about ADSL levels (2.5 to 5 mbps). They do this because they throttle the connection if you use file sharing networks. Off topic but that's another thing TBayTel doesn't do and why they're so great. BTW, if you have Shaw, it might say you're in Calgary. So while you will do the test with Brandon or Grand Forks (the closest servers to Winnipeg) the connection is actually going to go from you, to Calgary, to the server, back to Calgary, then to you. With ADSL it goes between you and the server you're testing with because the server you're on will be within a couple kilometres. (Mine is just over 1100m away.)

Probably low because of businesses still going, slowing everything down. At night it's closer to 2500kbps, which is where it is capped off because my ADSL and phone share the line, and you get a bit of interference if you're on the phone while the internet is going when it's higher, and it has a tendency to drop off. Since we had it capped at 2500kbps, there has been no interference or connection disruptions. If the wires were newer the phone and internet wouldn't be using the exact same wires and ports. (We have to use a splitter at the phone jack since there is only one, and the connection where lines go to the phone panel by the fusebox looks like a bit of a mess too.)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 10:46 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
BTW, if you have Shaw, it might say you're in Calgary. So while you will do the test with Brandon or Grand Forks (the closest servers to Winnipeg) the connection is actually going to go from you, to Calgary, to the server, back to Calgary, then to you.
The latency on the national Shaw network is negligible at best. Your packets going from Winnipeg to Calgary across the Shaw network will generally be faster than having to route through several other ISPs to get to a server located in Grand Forks (chances are you will go through Chicago to get there).

Physical distance is not a good metric to use when testing speed.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 10:59 PM
I am a typical

Either way, my aunt's Shaw internet was as slow as my ADSL, so she switched. Maybe it's different in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 7:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

shaw bought a bunch of new roughters thats are faulty and won't replace them... as a result i get random laging spirts when playing online video games that get me banned when playing punkbuster games $#%#$^

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 3:31 PM

Quote:
www.speedtest.net

At night it's closer to 2500kbps, which is where it is capped off because my ADSL and phone share the line, and you get a bit of interference if you're on the phone while the internet is going when it's higher, and it has a tendency to drop off. Since we had it capped at 2500kbps, there has been no interference or connection disruptions. If the wires were newer the phone and internet wouldn't be using the exact same wires and ports. (We have to use a splitter at the phone jack since there is only one, and the connection where lines go to the phone panel by the fusebox looks like a bit of a mess too.)
I used to be a moderator on a DSL help forum. ADSL uses a different frequency than your phone so neither should affect each other. If you have net problems when the phone is in use then there is a line issue of something isn't hooked up right, or you have faulty telephone equipment. We used to have a cordless phone that caused that caused the DSL to drop. Anyways, this is my speed test with MTS DSL. We also have their TV service.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 3:30 PM
BANNED

It's back to square one for sale of downtown parkade

By: Bartley Kives
Winnipeg Square Parkade a gold mine. (WAYNE GLOWACKI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

CITY council is about to press the reset button on a plan to sell the Winnipeg Square Parkade, the highly desirable city asset dubbed the "gold mine at Portage and Main."

Four councillors will meet Monday to once again decide whether to ask private-sector buyers how much they would pay for the parkade, the sale of which could allow the Winnipeg Parking Authority to pay off its debt, fix two other parkades and possibly construct new parking facilities.

The Winnipeg Square Parkade is an attractive commercial asset because it generates $1.4 million in profit every year and also includes the air rights for a future office or hotel tower above the south side of Winnipeg Square.

In a report, city real estate managers recommend the downtown development committee launch a formal expression of interest for the parkade, which could be worth more than $35 million.

This is precisely what a separate council body -- the alternate service delivery committee, comprised of Couns. Justin Swandel, Jeff Browaty and Dan Vandal -- authorized in July 2008.

As it turned out, the jurisdiction for downtown real estate matters actually lies with the downtown committee.

"Although the subject property has not been declared surplus by council to date, a formal EOI is necessary in order to determine the market value of the property and determine whether acceptable financial benefits would accrue to the city," the report says.

Earlier this month, after Winnipeg realtor Shindico erroneously listed the Winnipeg Square Parkade for sale on the company's website, city officials said they had obtained three valuations for the parkade.

One was a real estate valuation conducted by Shindico, officials said. A second was a business appraisal conducted in 2007 -- well before the ASD committee vote -- by Winnipeg's Stevenson Group on behalf of consulting firm the MMM Group, which in turn was working at the behest of the Winnipeg Parking Authority, officials said.

The third valuation was conducted on behalf of Toronto's Crown Realty Partners, the company that owns Winnipeg Square mall and the Commodity Exchange Tower, officials said. A spokesman for Crown Realty, the most likely buyer for the parkade, declined to comment earlier this month.

City staff decided the discrepancy between the three numbers was too great, said Coun. Mike Pagtakhan, who chairs the downtown development committee. Hence the need for a formal expression of interest.

Commercial real estate sources said they welcomed the issue of a formal expression of interest because it would make the process of selling the Winnipeg Square Parkade more transparent.

If the city decides to sell the parkade, the company that handles the sale stands to earn a commission worth more than $500,000, realtors have said.

If the downtown development committee -- Couns. Pagtakhan, Gord Steeves, Scott Fielding and Jenny Gerbasi -- votes to issue an EOI, the results will be evaluated by the alternate service delivery commitments.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 1:15 AM
Starring as himself

In case this isn't posted elsewhere...

If you want your neighbourhood back, do it the Point Douglas way

JEFFREY SIMPSON

From Friday's Globe and Mail

E-mail Jeffrey Simpson | Read Bio | Latest Columns
February 27, 2009 at 12:00 AM EST

WINNIPEG — Sel Burrows took a lead from the famous Chicago community organizer Saul Alinsky: Start small, show results, and go from there.

Results there have been for Point Douglas, one of Winnipeg's formerly troubled inner-city neighbourhoods, courtesy of Mr. Burrow's determination, and that of other residents, to work with the police and civic authorities to rescue their community from crack dealers, cokeheads, pimps and prostitutes.

How Point Douglas improved might hold lessons for other such neighbourhoods in Winnipeg and across Canada. But "might" is the operative word, because it took rare courage by Mr. Burrows and some residents to turn around Point Douglas.

Touring the neighbourhood with Mr. Burrows shows eye-popping results. Former crack houses are boarded up. Derelict homes have been improved or, where necessary, boarded up. An area previously plagued by guns now has none. The police are thrilled. Civic and provincial authorities laud the progress. Mr. Burrows, a self-described old lefty, will preach the Point Douglas model to anyone who'll listen.

Two keys unlocked the Point Douglas puzzle. The neighbourhood had to be mobilized to take itself back; and zero tolerance became the order of the day. No criminal behaviour would go unreported; no houses would be left derelict; no windows would remain broken; no guns would be allowed. Community commitment and law enforcement came together in a polyglot community, with aboriginals making up more than half the population.

Recovery started in 2007 when Mr. Burrows and his wife met a few other residents to discuss the crime that infested their neighbourhood. They decided to develop a plan whereby residents could send e-mails or make phone calls anonymously when they discovered criminal or highly suspicious activity. They called it the Powerline, and information from it was sent directly to the police or bylaw officers.

A visit by Governor-General Michaëlle Jean to Norquay School helped publicize the community's problems when students complained about crime in their neighbourhood in the glare of the media accompanying Ms. Jean.

It took some early, direct confrontation with unwanted elements. Mr. Burrows has five pins in the orbital bone below his left eye, courtesy of a blow suffered when he challenged a gang member. A few residents of the neighbourhood's "safety team" sat on the steps talking to drug dealers as they harassed people and tried to deal. Those acts took courage.

Early on, Mr. Burrows and his fellow organizers discovered that the city bylaws were fine, but they were not being enforced. So they began to pester City Hall. Derelict houses used for crack dealing began to be shuttered and residents evicted.

The act of eviction shamed many dealers and addicts. Landlords were forced either to repair buildings or close them properly pending disposition. Other bylaws began to be enforced. Houses with more than 25 per cent of the exterior paint peeling had to be repainted; rental houses had to have screens and storm windows. Police, who used to respond to crime after the fact, were in touch on an ongoing basis.

When residents began to see improvements in the neighbourhood, more of them joined the Powerline effort, reporting crime, suspicious behaviour and bylaw infractions. Eventually, more than 25 crack houses were closed.

As the dealers left, the streets became safer, violence declined. More people ventured outside, walking their dogs, congregating in parks, sitting on their steps - giving effect to Jane Jacobs's theory that safety comes from having more "eyes on the street."

Point Douglas needs government help through funding of community centres, employment agencies, and women's centres. Winnipeg's Community Fund has been a big help. More than anything, progress took resolve and persistence from Mr. Burrows and some of his neighbours.

Can this model work elsewhere? It would appear that it needs a catalyst such as Mr. Burrows. But people like him aren't easy to find. He had worked in politics, knew his way around government, possessed rare courage, and wasn't afraid to be pushy when required.

The community must be willing to save itself. It means civic authorities, police, and social agencies working together. Success might mean that the criminal elements and slum landlords simply go to other areas of the city. But it sure has worked in Point Douglas.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 3:21 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
I used to be a moderator on a DSL help forum. ADSL uses a different frequency than your phone so neither should affect each other. If you have net problems when the phone is in use then there is a line issue of something isn't hooked up right, or you have faulty telephone equipment. We used to have a cordless phone that caused that caused the DSL to drop. Anyways, this is my speed test with MTS DSL. We also have their TV service.
What a coincidence, I have a cordless phone and shit wiring.

And my last apartment didn't have the problem with interference either but the line would have problems occasionally. They switched to Speedtouch modems about 18 months ago and they work a little better but they're still crap. I don't know if a decent modem actually exists. At least not one you can rent from the phone company.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 4:35 AM

Quote:
What a coincidence, I have a cordless phone and shit wiring.

And my last apartment didn't have the problem with interference either but the line would have problems occasionally. They switched to Speedtouch modems about 18 months ago and they work a little better but they're still crap. I don't know if a decent modem actually exists. At least not one you can rent from the phone company.
Nothing wrong with the Speedstream modems MTS uses. Last place I lived before buying this house the MTS tech came out and installed a POTS splitter in the basement to replace all the stupid line filters and that's what they should do with every installation.

I imagine the telephone/DSL hardware in Winnipeg is far better than in Thunder Bay too. The whole city is wired with fiber-optic cables to the nodes, copper from there to the houses and it's capable of incredible speeds, VDSL it's called. No modem here. It's integrated into the TV box. 3 TV's and internet over a single copper pair.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 5:05 AM
I am a typical

TBayTel isn't as big as MTS but there is a lot of pressure (especially lately) for TBayTel to improve it's infrastructure, including upgrading infrastructure in the city (they do $20,000,000 worth annually) and wiring the entire CMA and Lappe with ADSL at least. As for VDSL (which I have known about for years--rural Slovenia got it in 2005, apparently) I haven't heard any plans from them, but who knows? They're also trying to start a TV network but I think they're going to be going with regular cable to compete directly with Shaw, since Shaw now offers home phone. (They got really pissed off about it.)

Thunder Bay has access to ADSL and Cable throughout the entire urban area and in the developing suburbs, it's the rural areas that are the big concern. In a market of 125,000 people, 20,000 of them can't get ADSL or Cable. That's a pretty big chunk of the population. The only places in rural areas that have ADSL right now are those within about a kilometre of cell towers, since those function as local servers. They say that the further you are from the server, the slower the connection. (In the city you're never more than 2 miles from one.) My neighbourhood has brand new telephone lines and poles now as well, so it's definitely something in my apartment that causes the problem, and it's probably the single jack, cordless phone and bad wiring.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 9:57 PM
Armchair urbanist

Winnipeg pitched to southern Ontario job hunters

Updated: Tue Mar. 03 2009 11:25:34

ctvwinnipeg.ca

With job numbers and economic reports showing Winnipeg will continue to weather the recession better than most cities in Canada, Destination Winnipeg is launching a new campaign to heighten awareness of Winnipeg in southern Ontario markets outside of Toronto.

Destination Winnipeg is hoping to attract people from these Ontario markets to consider looking at the city.

"We want to get the message out: Winnipeg is a bright spot in this recession and if you've got the skills, there are opportunities here," said Stuart Duncan, Destination Winnipeg's President.

"Find Your Place Here is about awareness of our city and to consider looking here for opportunity," he adds.

According to Statistics Canada, Manitoba added 9000 payroll jobs in 2008 and Winnipeg led all major cities in Canada in the growth of building permit values, growing by 15 percent while the rest of Canada declined by five percent.

The Conference Board of Canada projected out of 27 cities in Canada, Winnipeg will have the third-best growth in 2009.

The Canada West Foundation said Manitoba currently occupies an "economic sweet

spot" due to its diversified mix of industries, from aerospace and bus manufacturing to agribusiness, financial services and biotech.

While some businesses in Manitoba have been hard hit - such as the mining industry and some manufacturing industries, other sectors are still hiring.

In February, the Winnipeg Construction Association said the city's booming construction sector cannot find enough supervisors and skilled trades people.

Construction on the $265-million Canadian Museum for Human Rights is slated to begin

this spring.

Destination Winnipeg is looking to sell the positives.

"Winnipeg offers welcoming people, business and work opportunities, great amenities and attractions, and a high quality of life," said Lori Walder, Destination Winnipeg's Director of Marketing and Communications.

"We want this targeted region and other markets to learn more about our growing,

all-inclusive city," Walder adds.

Destination Winnipeg is targeting towns in Southern Ontario, including Windsor, St. Catharines, Hamilton, Oshawa, Guelph and Burlington with a campaign inviting people to "Find Yourself Here" in Winnipeg.

The campaign will include mail drops, newspaper ads and advertising on Facebook.

The new campaign dovetails with Destination Winnipeg's "Incredibly Cool" campaign that launched in December. Visitors to www.destinationwinnipeg.ca/findyourplacehere or www.incrediblycool.ca can sign up for the "Stay Cool" newsletter for the latest news, events and job opportunities www.destinationwinnipeg.ca/findyourplacehere in Winnipeg.

Since its launch, the newsletter has gathered subscribers from across Canada and around the world, including the United States, United Kingdom, France, Portugal, Russia, Israel, India, Brazil and the Philippines.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 10:48 PM
Starring as himself

Saskatchewan got a fair bit of publicity when they did this in Toronto a few months ago. The Globe and Mail also seems to be paying a lot of attention to Manitoba all of a sudden -- as Toronto declines, people are more and more willing to entertain the idea that other places might be worth living in. A significant sector of the middle class in the GTA could be persuaded, I think, to give up their long commutes for a simpler life in a less complicated place. I think this will be a trend over the next 25 years. I'd expect Calgary, Ottawa and Halifax to benefit from it more, but why not Winnipeg too? If you're someone in the non-professional middle-middle class, working for the government or in a manufacturing company, the possibilities of a Winnipeg lifestyle wouldn't look too bad from the perspective of Toronto.

Of course, this has to be marketed right, which I'm not betting it will be.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 11:16 PM

If i were them I would put in the ad, a sample winnipeg house (say a $300k island lake home) and a sample cabin for sale (say a back lot, older cabin at grand marais for $150k) to demonstrate to these people the kind of lifestyle they can have here. some of you will balk at my example, but remember that many of these people live in $500k homes in southern ontario. My point is, stress the cabin lifestyle and how close it is to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 11:36 PM
I am a typical

Only 300k for an island home? Island houses here cost millions.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 12:52 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

For all the complaining about the cold we do, there was a time at the turn of the last century when it made sense for a generation of people to pack up and move here because that's where the opportunities could be found.

I suspect those days will return again to Winnipeg.

If this trend is fuelled by workers escaping the Ontario rust belt instead of immigrants from Ukraine, that's fine by me too.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
If this trend is fuelled by workers escaping the Ontario rust belt instead of immigrants from Ukraine, that's fine by me too.
...but will they bring us perogies? it's all about perogies!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 3:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Only 300k for an island home? Island houses here cost millions.
no island lakes its a burb with some ponds in it just south of the mint
didn't relize those houses were 300k dam thats crazy i wouldn't dream of paying that much for those houses ikk

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 4:48 AM
I am a typical

Oh, suburbs. Our suburban houses are about that much, too. But the catch is: You have to live in Neebing!

I was wondering where these Manitoban islands were.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 5:04 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Oh, suburbs. Our suburban houses are about that much, too. But the catch is: You have to live in Neebing!

I was wondering where these Manitoban islands were.
Well they actually have a sort-of island in the middle of the fake lakes.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 6:08 AM

The section in the middle is like an Island.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan