HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 11:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
New $100M rail hub will move crude from Saskatchewan
By Jason Warwick, Postmedia News and Calgary Herald
August 15, 2013

A $100-million rail hub able to ship 168,000 barrels of oil per day to U.S. markets is planned for Kerrobert, Sask., the latest in a string of proposed rail facilities aimed at giving producers more flexibility for moving crude.

Calgary-based TORQ Transloading, the company behind the Kerrobert plan, already operates several smaller oil and agricultural shipping ports in Western Canada, but CEO Jarrett Zielinski said Saskatchewan's economy convinced them to expand.

"We think Saskatchewan is strategically located. It has access to all the products our customers are seeking," he said. "We feel that Kerrobert is strategic in that it allows maximum diversity and flexibility for crude-by-rail out of Western Canada."
http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...042/story.html

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 2:38 PM

BHP Announcement on Jansen mine

"It takes us, including this, to $3.8 billion invested in Jansen, $4.8 billion in potash overall in Saskatchewan," said BHP's Chris Ryder.

http://www.newstalk980.com/story/bhp...sh-mine/127669

“Saskatchewan, with its attractive geology and stable political and fiscal environment, is the best place in the world to develop a potash business. ”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle13867129/

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 12:36 AM

I believe this is Saskatchewan's tallest free standing structure. The new K3 headframe at Esterhazy - 374 feet

source: mosaico.com

timelapse construction video here:

http://www.mosaicco.com/3076.htm

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 3:50 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

holy crap thats massive why so tall and slip form? realy? has me curious

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
holy crap thats massive why so tall and slip form? realy? has me curious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwNJ...layer_embedded

Another Mosaic video that explains quite a bit. According to the video the head frame is that tall to "accomodate the massive 60 tonne skip hoist"

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwNJ...layer_embedded

Another Mosaic video that explains quite a bit. According to the video the head frame is that tall to "accomodate the massive 60 tonne skip hoist"
Man, this should be on tv. Like mega projects or how it's done or something.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 6:05 PM

Other Manitoba News......

September 9, 2013
Work continues on canola crushing plant in Manitoba
CHRISTOPHER FRIESEN

Work continues on the canola crushing plant at Bunge North America's oilseed processing site in Altona, Manitoba.

The new plant will more than double the capacity at the existing facility.

Winnipeg Based FWS Construction is the general contractor for the project which included pouring eight slip-form concrete silos, millwrighting, structural steel installation, heavy equipment setting, masonry installation, cladding and interior and exterior finishes.

http://www.journalofcommerce.com/art...nt-in-manitoba

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Other Manitoba News......

September 9, 2013
Work continues on canola crushing plant in Manitoba
CHRISTOPHER FRIESEN

Work continues on the canola crushing plant at Bunge North America's oilseed processing site in Altona, Manitoba.
It's funny, Im doing some work for this project. Father in law is a pipe fitter. Guess where he's working now. Small world.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's funny, Im doing some work for this project. Father in law is a pipe fitter. Guess where he's working now. Small world.
That's great, you know, small world is right, but you know what it's like in Winnipeg, close to 800,000 people and you always seem to bump into people you know or someone catches you doing something......never mind That's part of the citys charm? I like it.

Hey curious, 8 slip form silos, is this large for the scope of projects of this kind? Sounds like quite the expansion.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 6:43 PM

Yeah, its nothing massive like that Esterhazy head frame. Good size expansion though.

On another topic, looks like Ashton is trying to put the brakes on shipping oil through Churchill.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...224526591.html

I keep hearing "Churchill is a major tourist destination". Really? How many people visit each year? Major on who's terms? Maybe in terms of Churchill's survival, yes.

To me a major tourist destination is Cancun or the Vatican or New York City or something like that. Not a remote outpost with some bears. Even though I fully support Churchill and the port.. Just saying..

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 6:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's great, you know, small world is right, but you know what it's like in Winnipeg, close to 800,000 people and you always seem to bump into people you know or someone catches you doing something......never mind That's part of the citys charm? I like it.
This "charm" is not unique to Winnipeg by any means. In Calgary, it's the same thing. Everyone knows someone that knows someone else, always bumping into eachother. Big city, but very connected like a small community where everyone knows everyone else. Apparently Edmonton is even worse. And also in Vancouver where I spend time, there are lots of instances where I bump into so many people I know from all over the GVA. It has nothing to do with a specific city; it has to do with how much time and how many people you know in a city, regardless of size.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

On another topic, looks like Ashton is trying to put the brakes on shipping oil through Churchill.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...224526591.html

I keep hearing "Churchill is a major tourist destination". Really? How many people visit each year? Major on who's terms? Maybe in terms of Churchill's survival, yes.

To me a major tourist destination is Cancun or the Vatican or New York City or something like that. Not a remote outpost with some bears. Even though I fully support Churchill and the port.. Just saying..
Churchill has been on life support for years, and now being funded federally after the CWB decision (5 years). Tourism will not sustain it. Although it is still a federal decision, the NDP will have a sure hand in the demise of what is left of the Port of Churchill.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbod View Post
This "charm" is not unique to Winnipeg by any means. In Calgary, it's the same thing. Everyone knows someone that knows someone else, always bumping into eachother. Big city, but very connected like a small community where everyone knows everyone else. Apparently Edmonton is even worse. And also in Vancouver where I spend time, there are lots of instances where I bump into so many people I know from all over the GVA. It has nothing to do with a specific city; it has to do with how much time and how many people you know in a city, regardless of size.
Thanks for following my posts, I appreciate it. I feel special.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 3:22 PM

Town hall tonight on proposal to ship oil through Churchill

Quote:
Citizens concerned with a plan to transport millions of barrels of crude oil to Churchill are coming together at a town hall meeting tonight.

Organized by the Wilderness Committee, the meeting is scheduled to raise awareness and build opposition regarding an oil shipping proposal from Omnitrax Inc., which intends to transport 3.3-million barrels of crude oil annually on its Hudson Bay rail line. The oil would then be loaded onto tanker ships in the Port Of Churchill, which is also operated by Omnitrax.

The Wilderness Committee is "strongly opposed".....
- See more at: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc....qY1SraJz.dpuf
........to anything that could benifit Manitobas economy and ..etc. etc. etc...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 8:44 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

do u have anyclue how unstable that rail line is? theres streches of it that u can get off the front of the train and pic bearies in the bush and climb back on at the back and do it all over again for hrs

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 9:44 PM

Quote:
do u have anyclue how unstable that rail line is? theres streches of it that u can get off the front of the train and pic bearies in the bush and climb back on at the back and do it all over again for hrs

They've been shipping grain and fuel for years over that train line.It's worked up to this point.

I don't know about picking berries and the bush stops though.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 9:59 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
They've been shipping grain and fuel for years over that train line.It's worked up to this point.

I don't know about picking berries and the bush stops though.
i know people that do it

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 10:04 PM

Only 53 derailments over 10 years. What could possibly go wrong.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Only 53 derailments over 10 years. What could possibly go wrong.

Could have been 55?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
i know people that do it
I'm sure people do.

I was looking for a photo thread you posted some time back. I was going to add it to the Photo thread I just posted. Do you remember what the link was? It was very urban a walk through winninpeg? Thx.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan