HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 9:57 PM

Article on scientific paper discussing how many trees we can and should plant and where to combat climate change.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/how-...IKwCd.facebook

Note that Canada's share covers 78,000,000ha of land and would at a rate of 1 tree to 4m2 equal 195 Billion trees.

Makes that promise of 2B seem somewhat inadequate......

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
Article on scientific paper discussing how many trees we can and should plant and where to combat climate change.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/how-...IKwCd.facebook

Note that Canada's share covers 78,000,000ha of land and would at a rate of 1 tree to 4m2 equal 195 Billion trees.

Makes that promise of 2B seem somewhat inadequate......
We should just figure out how much carbon a tree absorbs per year then pay out money per ton of carbon removed, no matter how it is done. It may well be cheaper to remove carbon some other way, the evidence I've heard is the ability of to plant our way out of climate change is overrated.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:28 AM

Trees would have the added benefit of increasing wildlife habitat and bio-diversity, two more areas of concern.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 2:47 AM

The problem with trees is that we have to remove them before they decompose and make sure the wood gets permanently "stored" if we want to maximize CO2 capture. If we just plant and leave these new reforested lands to their own devices, then it's not the same calculation (and our "ability to plant our way out of climate change" becomes even weaker). Trees in natural conditions die at the end of their life then rot on site.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The problem with trees is that we have to remove them before they decompose and make sure the wood gets permanently "stored" if we want to maximize CO2 capture. If we just plant and leave these new reforested lands to their own devices, then it's not the same calculation (and our "ability to plant our way out of climate change" becomes even weaker). Trees in natural conditions die at the end of their life then rot on site.
Just as bad, or worse, we pay someone to plant a tree, but they just put a sapling down somewhere innapropriate, and then it dies. But who cares, it's one billionth of an election promise!?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:17 PM

I think there's a sweet spot to forestry. Planting, harvesting, using the wood in something (so carbon is sequestered), burning the waste for energy, and repeating. Trees grow quickly at certain segments of their lifespan, and suck in a lot of carbon every year.

I think bamboo is one of the better plants for this.

Where is always a question. Deforestation of the amazon and other areas has been a big loss to the world's carbon sinks for sure.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 12:27 AM

Have there ever been studies done on the effect of the building of skyscrapers and other buildings in large cities and how they may contribute to climate change due to moving the mass of the earth around? Not on an individual scale, but a mass scale I wonder if it could have any effect say on the rotation or balance of the earth?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 12:42 AM

Climate warming, cooling, or change has not or ever will be predicted, influenced, or corrected by man. We have no idea what the optimal temperature of Earth should be, therefore we do not know which way to influence it even if we could. Also, the single most important influence on climate is the sun. Almost no scientific study or model of the climate includes the sun rendering predictions, conclusions, or policy derived by false findings. The Green fake Climate catastrophe is a political power grab to weaken the middle class, using taxes as it's hammer and fear of destruction as its justification. These demonstrations are a colossal waste of time and will accomplish nothing. Please explain to me how a carbon tax which is designed to raise prices so people use less is a disincentive to use less when the government is promising people will get back more than they pay in. Its a scam! Listen to more qualified astrophysicist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEmUS7PAWFw

https://youtu.be/KazGXAqgkds

Last edited by Black Star; Oct 5, 2019 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Climate warming, cooling, or change has not or ever will be predicted, influenced, or corrected by man. We have no idea what the optimal temperature of Earth should be, therefore we do not know which way to influence it even if we could. Also, the single most important influence on climate is the sun. Almost no scientific study or model of the climate includes the sun rendering predictions, conclusions, or policy derived by false findings. The Green fake Climate catastrophe is a political power grab to weaken the middle class, using taxes as it's hammer and fear of destruction as its justification. These demonstrations are a colossal waste of time and will accomplish nothing. Please explain to me how a carbon tax which is designed to raise prices so people use less is a disincentive to use less when the government is promising people will get back more than they pay in. Its a scam! Listen to more qualified astrophysicist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEmUS7PAWFw
There is no point explaining to you, as you are a flat earther.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Have there ever been studies done on the effect of the building of skyscrapers and other buildings in large cities and how they may contribute to climate change due to moving the mass of the earth around? Not on an individual scale, but a mass scale I wonder if it could have any effect say on the rotation or balance of the earth?
Seems unlikely. A mountain like Everest dwarfs cities, but isn't even a wrinkle when looked at from a planetary scale.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
There is no point explaining to you, as you are a flat earther.
lol....there are no words that you will understand that describle your absolute ignorance.

Unfortunately, you are so devoid of all education and proper discussion thats its morbidly boring.

I actually dont know or care what you are...I wish you the best

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
lol....there are no words that you will understand that describle your absolute ignorance.

Unfortunately, you are so devoid of all education and proper discussion thats its morbidly boring.

I actually dont know or care what you are...I wish you the best
If you're going to call someone uneducated, use correct grammar. It's it's.

To expand on my point, if you don't think manmade CO2 is causing climate change, then it is impossible to explain how a carbon tax works. It's like trying to explain orbital velocity to a flat earther, pointless.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:30 AM

Quote:

To expand on my point, if you don't think manmade CO2 is causing climate change, then it is impossible to explain how a carbon tax works. It's like trying to explain orbital velocity to a flat earther, pointless.

Bahahaha...so utterly predictable and sad. Keep on trying to make a valid point on politics or climate. I like your effort.

You have a good night Mr

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Seems unlikely. A mountain like Everest dwarfs cities, but isn't even a wrinkle when looked at from a planetary scale.
Not to mention volcanos and earthquakes around the globe create greater mass shifts all the time.

I'm sure his post was just trolling though.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:32 AM

Quote:

The carbon cycle on this planet couldn't be more obvious. Climate was dramatically different when all of that carbon we are burning was out in the atmosphere hundreds of millions of years ago.

But I'm sure these guys think the earth was flat, and created 6000 years ago when white Jesus was riding around on dinosaurs. Or the bones were planted as a hoax, I can never keep up.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Not to mention volcanos and earthquakes around the globe create greater mass shifts all the time.

I'm sure his post was just trolling though.

Yes trolling...... I’ve been called worse by better people lol. When you or anyone on here (confuse Facts with trolling) we know not to listen or engage in proper discussion. Its not worth it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Yes trolling...... I’ve been called worse by better people lol. When you or anyone on here (confuse Facts with trolling) we know not to listen or engage in proper discussion. Its not worth it.
Follow the thread man, my reply wasn't about you. You think skyscrapers impacting the rotation of the earth is a fact? Giving it a capital F doesn't make it real BTW.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Follow the thread man, my reply wasn't about you. You think skyscrapers impacting the rotation of the earth is a fact? Giving it a capital F doesn't make it real BTW.

Well that's your first mistake. Most of the educated and right minded don't follow you or this misdirected thread of misinformation. We are amused by the conjecture and confusion that is propagated on a regular basis. But...hey. You have an opinion that should be heard.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:59 AM

To be technically accurate, there is no such thing as a fact. Not that that really has any meaning to someone that does not have any belief in or understanding of science.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Well that's your first mistake. Most of the educated and right minded don't follow you or this misdirected thread of misinformation. We are amused by the conjecture and confusion that is propagated on a regular basis. But...hey. You have an opinion that should be heard.
You count yourself among the "educated and right minded"?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada