HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 8:31 PM

^that's the one I was trying to find...Thanks!

Quote:
So far all the buildings seem to be using the same tan stone/blue glass color scheme, including Block 46. Hopefully some of the other buildings will vary the color a bit to keep this area from looking like variations on the same design.
it is still very early, and there is a ton of land left to develop, but I agree. Things are getting a bit repetitious. Everything currently, except the OHSU building has been developed by Williams and Dame. I know of two other developers that own land in the district and we should be seeing some variation from them soon....I hope.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 8:47 PM

Also, I noticed while driving by the SWF today that they are tearing all the trees down and tearing up the parking lot of the Spaghetti Factory. I think this might be part of Promethius' property, but a block or two South from their one proposed tower. Maybe it will become a staging area.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 8:50 PM

^Ha, you noticed that too. My partner was like, check out the Spaghetti Factory's purple roof. I had never really seen it before and than noticed there were trees gone that used to block the full view. I'm glad to see it though, one of the sexiest roofs in Portland IMO

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan
^Ha, you noticed that too. My partner was like, check out the Spaghetti Factory's purple roof. I had never really seen it before and than noticed there were trees gone that used to block the full view. I'm glad to see it though, one of the sexiest roofs in Portland IMO

Definetly a great jewel on the waterfront. I think the price of spaghetti might follow the prices of steel, copper and concrete here in a couple of years. At least at this location Now I have to figure out if they have public stock.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 11:53 PM

you never go anywhere without your camera do you?

Roof looks more blue than purple there...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2006, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan
you never go anywhere without your camera do you?

Roof looks more blue than purple there...
Actually, this photo was from the website, but I do keep my old digital camera with me for job walks. It helps me remember site conditions (and is good for the occassional shot for SSP).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 2:41 AM

I LOVE Blue tile roofs!!!

I don't know why you don't see them more often on the more upscale residential and commercial projects with pitched roofs.

I am soooo sick of charcoal composition

I did see alot of blue tile in San Diego, but I think that they'd be equally appropriate in the NW.

Again, asphalt shingles are so boring.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 7:57 AM

mark and scott, thanks for the maps.
just what i was looking for.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2006, 7:42 PM

flux73 provided this neighborhood update in the NW Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73
I was at a South Waterfront update meeting last weekend at the Discovery Center. Thought I'd fill you all in on what little I remember from the meeting.

Not sure if it's been discussed here before, but there are some interesting light fixtures that they exhibited. These would be the corner lamp posts. They have this fan shaped canopy that will shield pedestrians from the rain while they wait at the corners to cross a street. Very nice looking and also many great looking benches planned. Also they are going to be tearing out the storage sheds in a month or two and laying down grass for the preliminary park. A design for the park is still to be settled. If I recall correctly, the streetcar will begin service to the SoWa district in Sept. I THINK. There's going to be a Daily Cafe in the OHSU One Building and I think they will be starting up fairly soon. There will be a temporary waterway path, but not much more was said about that, like in regards to its length or where it will run. Atwater Place was announced and sales are starting very very soon (if not already). A conceptual drawing of the building on Block 38 was shown. I believe one of the other threads on this board showed it awhile ago. Anyhow, very interesting design. They said it was made to look like half of the building had "slipped". My understanding is that one half of the building will have all its floors be half a floor lower than the other half, or at least look like that from the outside. Not sure if the inside will maintain that half-height staggered design.

There will be an exit ramp off of I-5 North to get into the SoWa district. I asked about coming south on 405. Unfortunately, there isn't anything planned for that yet. Right now, you have to get off at 6th Ave (at the bottom of the hill from OHSU) and then go towards the Ross Island bridge before you can connect up to Macadam and finally getting into the district. Kind of a pain and I hope there are some future plans to deal with this.

They showed photos of the Tram foundations being poured. There's a stunning amount of rebar and concrete. Afterwards, Dike Dame made a funny sarcastic comment about Randy Leonard's remark that he would bring a truck and rip out the foundation himself if the project had to be halted - something like "Well, he can certainly try..."

I also asked about the powerlines - the ones that come across from Ross Island. What I was told was that they would be moved 200 feet to the north, and possibly may be run under the Ross Island Bridge itself.

Move-ins to the Meriwether start up within the next month. My parents and I have bought a place there, but we aren't planning to close until late July. We want to give the neighborhood a chance to settle in. I'm looking forward to seeing the neighborhood spring to life!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 6:10 AM

i saw the work going on at the Promethius' property but it looked like it was just PGE digging. The vehicles were all PGE trucks.

SoWa update, taken April 1, 2006:

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 3:59 PM

Quote:
i saw the work going on at the Promethius' property but it looked like it was just PGE digging.
great pics! I went to the OSF for dinner this weekend and there was a sign on the "Promethius" property...maybe it was too far south to be their property, but it was the property where a bunch of work is going on. Anyway there was a sign on the fence that said, pardon us while we expand our parking, ~Old Spaghetti Factory....EEEEWWW!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 3:23 PM

Next wave hits South Waterfront

Wednesday, April 12, 2006
DYLAN RIVERA
Even as workers begin to put the finishing touches on the South Waterfront's first condo towers this month, developers have designs on even more high-rise construction in the area.

The long-awaited expansion of Oregon Health & Science University at the site has coincided with intense demand for urban condos. Riding that trend, Portland development companies led by Homer Williams and Mark Edlen have taken the area from lines on a map to construction on the ground since 2003, selling condo buyers on their vision of a lusher, taller riverfront version of the Pearl District.

Now, big names in real estate are ready to join the party.

The next large chunk of waterfront construction will be led by Prometheus Real Estate Group Inc., a Bay Area developer that manages 14,000 apartment units and owns 1 million square feet of commercial space in four western states.

Prometheus recently presented a master plan to the city calling for six towers on a four-block, 10-acre riverfront parcel. The first tower would have about 240 condo units, not unlike the 1,000 condos the company has developed elsewhere. The $500 million in construction will, in coming years, fill in the riverfront between the pair of construction cranes on the site now and the Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant just to the south.

With streetcar tracks already extended to the area, new streets emerging all over and an aerial tram connecting the waterfront to OHSU's Marquam Hill campus apparently on the way despite a funding controversy, Prometheus is confident a neighborhood is replacing what was an industrial wasteland.

"It's an incredible area," said Jon Moss, senior vice president of development for Prometheus. "What the city of Portland has done in getting the infrastructure and the transportation is key."

It's an about-face for Prometheus, which unsuccessfully sued Portland when the City Council rejected its plans for a low-rise, gated community on the same site in 1996. But the city later rezoned the area for high rises and persuaded OHSU to expand at the waterfront. Condo buyers have scooped up units, with little more than floor plans and faith to go on.

As with other area land owners, Prometheus has agreed to help pay for the tram and streetcar construction, Moss said. The company won't need the zoning changes and public assistance for infrastructure that the original Portland-based developers required. Other issues, such as who will pay for a waterfront park, have not yet been worked out.

The California company's master plan won praise from the Portland Design Commission on Feb. 16 for its incorporation of a planned riverfront greenway, said Troy Doss of the city's Planning Bureau. It would have first-floor townhouses face a planned riverfront greenway and build a plaza extending greenway elements between two towers.

Ironically, it was the company's litigation 10 years ago that prompted the city to plan the area in earnest, Doss said.

"The lawsuits . . . started the waterfront planning," Doss said. "Now they're coming in with some of the more progressive thinking in master planning their site."

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 8:02 PM

here is my first attempt at a project rundown

SoWa Development

Under Construction

Block; Name/use; Completion
30....... Meriwether................. Apr-Oct '06
32,36... Neighborhood Park....... interim amenities Sum'06
25...... OHSU Center for H&H.... Nov 06
29...... OHSU underground garage... Nov 06
35...... John Ross............ Summer 07
34...... Atwater.............. Winter 07
Streetcar... extension to Gibbs... Sept 06
Tram..................... Fall 06

Planned

block
38 to start construction summer 06; 30 stories 325 feet
41 to start construction fall 06; 240 ft-Prometheus
46 to start construction fall 06; 20 story tower, two shorter buildings
39 Pending city review...........; 230 feet apartment (Alexan)
42,44,45 to be announced.....; 240-325' Prometheus
27,37 to be announced..........; 250' North Macadam Inv
31 to be announced...........; 325' North Macadam Inv
24,28,29 to be announced.....; 125'-325' OHSU
33A, 33B pending funding.......; 250' affordable housing; OHSU garage
23 to be announced...........; 250' possible hotel
Greenway pending funding
Streetcar pending funding

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 10:51 PM

wow.. that is an awesome devolopment..

Old Posted Apr 13, 2006, 5:51 PM

CouvScott took some pictures from the Oregonian story above and posted them in the NW forum.

The first pic is a map of SoWa, the second is a conceptual look at Prometheus towers based on preliminary plans. On the left corner is the NMI's Block 38, also an affordable housing tower, and Atwater.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 5:23 PM

CITY COUNCIL WATCH
Thursday, April 20, 2006
The Oregonian

South Waterfront plan approved, 3-2

A divided City Council approved $43 million in new city money Wednesday to continue building public improvements in the South Waterfront district.

Background

The 3-2 vote OKs the basics of a new financial agreement with Oregon Health & Science University and North Macadam Investors, South Waterfront's lead developers, for $177 million in public improvements through 2011.

The deal would expand taxpayer's commitments to $113 million for the aerial tram, affordable housing, streets, parks and a riverfront greenway, among others. The remainder would be covered by OHSU, developers and property owners.

The city's Portland Development Commission will start work on a formal agreement that will come back to the City Council in about two months.

Mayor Tom Potter and Commissioners Sam Adams and Dan Saltzman supported it. Commissioners Randy Leonard and Erik Sten voted no.

The vote went as expected, though not before Leonard peppered city staff with questions. Leonard said he felt burned by approving the tram in 2003 and recent public barbs between himself and OHSU executives.

By the same 3-2 vote, the council also approved new debt to pay for the $57 million tram and agreed to increase tram builder Kiewit Pacific's city contract.

The council has now approved up to $78.3 million in city debt to pay for South Waterfront projects. It will be repaid by property tax revenues and fees charged to property owners in the area.

Kiewit Pacific, a division of Nebraska-based giant Kiewit, won a $17.8 million contract in 2005. Wednesday's vote nearly doubles the contract to $34.8 million.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2006, 2:36 PM

more renderings

Old Posted Apr 25, 2006, 3:35 PM

^I see John Ross, Meriwether and Atwater but they didn't include Block 38? There also appears to be a tower between Atwater and Meriwether in the second rendering? Also, are those towers with color the planned Prometheus towers?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2006, 7:29 PM

I noticed that block 38 was missing as well. In comparing the Promethius Towers from the West (from the Oregonian wrinkled copy I provided) to this view from the East, they don't appear to be the same buildings. These latest renderings were screen captures from an NC3D (Newland) movie, so NC3d might have only been hired by the Williams and Dame group to create this including just their actual renderings. I do find it interesting that as the concepts become buildings, the neighborhood goes from rainbow colors of glass, to all dark grey/black/navy. As mentioned before in the NW forum, hopefully the developers will use a variety in materials/colors to get away from the dual-chromatic look of the first three towers.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2006, 8:07 PM

See-through skylines
Thursday, April 27, 2006
DYLAN RIVERA
The Oregonian

T he thicket of buildings beginning to emerge along Portland's South Waterfront will soon include some of the tallest towers in the state. Yet developers and city planners hope they won't entirely block the Mount Hood and river views for residents and passers-by on the west side of Interstate 5.

It's a seemingly contradictory goal to build taller buildings yet make them less visible on the skyline. But Portland isn't the first to attempt a see-through, high-rise district, and it hopes to learn lessons from projects elsewhere.

The watchword tossed around by planners, architects and activists is "permeability" -- an ability to see through the development, even if only intermittently, said Troy Doss, with the Planning Bureau.

Permeability doesn't just mean protecting the view from a single lookout, such as a particular view of Mount Hood, Doss said. It's about trying to avoid uniform rows or "canyons" of buildings, instead allowing sunlight, wind and a variety of view angles between towers, he said.

"The permeability is trying to get at thinner buildings, buildings that aren't occupying an entire block."

But can the city build a multi-billion-dollar group of high-rises and still allow bystanders on Marquam Hill to see that there's a river on the other side of the neighborhood? Will runners and walkers along a new waterside trail be able to see Marquam Hill to the west?

"Maybe" and "sometimes" might be the answers, at least for now. Like a row of dominoes, the buildings may seem like an impermeable wall from some vantage points, but there should be gaps visible between the towers from other angles, Doss said.

"The fact is, these buildings are going to be visible," Doss said. "People are going to see them. But have we taken a strong stab at making them thinner, trying to establish view corridors? Yes."

Efforts to protect views and avoid the "wall of buildings" effect date at least to early 20th century Manhattan, said Ethan Seltzer, director of the Nohad A. Toulan School of Urban Studies and Planning at Portland State University. In the 1970s, Portland was a pioneer in protecting corridors for landmark views, such as the vista of Mount Hood from Washington Park.

The issue of permeability focuses on ways to build with the same amount of square footage, but with a thinner profile, Seltzer said. The Montgomery Park office building, for example, hulks over Northwest Portland with nine floors each measuring 78,000 square feet -- almost equal to two downtown city blocks.

The Unico U.S. Bancorp Tower, by contrast, stands much thinner, rising 43 stories with about 19,000 square feet per floor, according to a guide published by the Building Owners and Managers Association.

Both buildings contain about 750,000 total square feet.

"It's all about the idea that it's better to go up thin and higher, rather than squat and somewhat lower," Seltzer said.

The thin "point towers" of Vancouver, B.C., first inspired discussion of the permeability concept, Seltzer said.

Like Portland, Vancouver has some protected view corridors from public points around the city, said Larry Beasley, planning director for the city of Vancouver. In its waterfront high-rise neighborhoods, the city has banned development at the end of streets that terminate by the water, he said.

"In many cities, there will be a building at the end of the street," Beasley said. "In our case, we like to have the street ends open and we try to set the buildings back a little from the street ends."

In Portland's South Waterfront, planners extended the city's historic street grid pattern through the development's first phase, all the way to the Willamette River. That is intended to make sure the "street ends," to borrow Beasley's phrase, offer clear views from Marquam Hill, down the city streets, to the river.

The good and bad

Permeability was praised last week at a Portland Design Commission meeting, which was reviewing the waterfront's second condo tower that's supposed to reach the area's maximum 325-foot height. Block 38, as it is known, will rise just south of the elliptical-shaped John Ross condominiums rising in the area.

"The way this whole assemblage is coming together is going to be a very livable place," said Lloyd Lindley, a landscape architect and member of the commission.

A representative of the Corbett-Terwilliger Lair Hill Neighborhood Association vehemently disagreed. The east-west view corridors follow streets and sidewalks, so anyone whose house in Lair Hill sits back from the street would see nothing but buildings, said Jim Davis, land-use chairman for the association.

"If you're 15 degrees off of 90, what you see is a solid wall of buildings," Davis said. "This is going to be an inhumane development."

As far as urban neighborhoods go, the South Waterfront will have more light and air than many places, Design Commission members said. Even a 75-foot tall building casts shadows across a street, one commissioner noted.

With almost 250 feet separating the tallest sections of Block 38 from the John Ross, commission members said they felt confident residents will be able to see through the two, and the coterie of buildings growing up in the area. Both offer slender towers above retail-and-courtyard oriented pedestals, which commissioners said would offer plenty of human-scale, street-level activity.

Beasley, the Vancouver planner, said that natural features peeking through a high-rise neighborhood give people a sense of place.

"Even if it's a glimpse, even if it's only for a moment, you're always going to have a memory and an experience of the city which is in its setting," he said, "as opposed to a city that becomes completely closed off from its setting."

Dylan Rivera: 503-221-8532; dylanrivera@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/o...580.xml&coll=7

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland