HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/231109-wsns24us

No US pre-clearance on the flight to ATL it seems.
UA ran for many years a red-eye IAH run which left from the domestic/intl section of the airport.

you land in IAH at 5 so it was pretty quick to make a connection.

I don't know what ATL's international arrivals looks like, but I imagine it would just as easy during that time.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:01 PM

Quote:
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/231109-wsns24us

No US pre-clearance on the flight to ATL it seems.
We did this red eye flight out of Calgary recently. No pre clearance their either. Really quick customs in Atlanta the next morning. The only issue was at YYC they had private security firm checking your passport and asking questions. They asked us multiple times at Checkin and waiting at the gate. Was a pain in the butt. Even though we had a sticker on our passport. Hope they are more refined at YEG if it’s the same practice.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
We did this red eye flight out of Calgary recently. No pre clearance their either. Really quick customs in Atlanta the next morning. The only issue was at YYC they had private security firm checking your passport and asking questions. They asked us multiple times at Checkin and waiting at the gate. Was a pain in the butt. Even though we had a sticker on our passport. Hope they are more refined at YEG if it’s the same practice.
This was similar to Vancouver as well, but they have now expanded pre clearance hours to I think Midnight.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YegFan View Post

I don't know what ATL's international arrivals looks like, but I imagine it would just as easy during that time.
Only a handful of flights inbound from South America and Africa. Should be quick and easy.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
That was a process required by US Homeland Security, but it sounds like the process may be ending or is being altered.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Only a handful of flights inbound from South America and Africa. Should be quick and easy.
The problem isn't getting through CBP in Atlanta. The problem is the minimum connection time between WS and DL flights w/o preclearance. And with the rather late arrival time, it looks like the flight misses the entire 8 AM departure bank. If so, that'd make YYZ a much better US connection point. Imagine that - YYZ, early morning, US CBP, being better than...anything. But an MCT of 2 hours in ATL makes that a reality.

For comparison, I can't book a YYC-ATL-FLL 86 min red-eye connection next May. No issue with pre-cleared daytime flights out of Calgary (IIRC it's a 45 min MCT) but no luck with the red-eye even though DL's I-I is 85 min. WS-to-DL is obviously more - I presume 120 min.

Retime it to 23:30 departure and this would be a much more useful flight outbound...but would be less useful on the return if it departed 08:00 instead of 09:05. Perhaps YEG-MSP-East outbound (if you have a day to kill), East-ATL-YEG inbound?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 7:19 PM

^ thanks for that info, btw.

And since I'm here, just a quick update on the KL situation vis a vis the AMS slot cap. The plan to lower the number of movements there for S24 isn't going ahead. So that means YUL and YEG, two routes KL mentioned as possibly on the chopping block should the cuts happen, are safe for now.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...dams-schiphol/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 7:23 PM

Planning on a trip to Japan or Thailand? Zipair starts new service from YVR to NRT Tokyo in March with tickets on sale in a few weeks. NRT is a major connecting airport and Zipair fly's to these cities in Asia: Seoul ICN Incheon (South Korea), Manila MNL Ninoy Aquino (Philippines), Bangkok BKK Suvarnabhumi Airport (Thailand), Singapore SIN Singapore Changi (Singapore). Zipair is owned by One World member Japan Airlines. You could fly Flair, WS or AC to YVR to catch the flight - and for a family this could be quite a savings and with onward connections a time saver.

This news article: "The route's airfare will be around half of that offered by major carriers. Tickets will go on sale in December." https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0bu/025000c

https://www.zipair.net/en

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 5:50 PM

In this weeks update, WS appears to be increasing YEG-MSP to upwards of twice daily in S24. So far this is only modified from April 28-June 29.

WS1546 YEG 09:30 - 13:01 MSP 737 D
WS1548 YEG 15:55 - 19:32 MSP 737 13457

WS1547 MSP 14:00 - 15:54 YEG 737 D
WS1545 MSP 20:25 - 22:17 YEG 737 12356
*These schedules aren't available for booking yet / but show in OAG schedules.*

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 11:37 PM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.yyc View Post
More is coming.
I told y'all.

And guess what... more is coming.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 1:36 AM

Remember all the posts over months about about how WS is shafting YEG?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
In this weeks update, WS appears to be increasing YEG-MSP to upwards of twice daily in S24. So far this is only modified from April 28-June 29.

WS1546 YEG 09:30 - 13:01 MSP 737 D
WS1548 YEG 15:55 - 19:32 MSP 737 13457

WS1547 MSP 14:00 - 15:54 YEG 737 D
WS1545 MSP 20:25 - 22:17 YEG 737 12356
*These schedules aren't available for booking yet / but show in OAG schedules.*
Really shows thar DL could have easily maintained the MSP service. But WS is capitalizing on a very well established connection that lasted more than 50 years before it got removed during covid.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 7:26 AM

Quote:
I told y'all.

How do you know? Do you have contacts within the company?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 5:13 PM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
How do you know? Do you have contacts within the company?
Correct.

This isn't some flex, it's just frustrating reading so many posts in here by people who have no idea what they're talking about sulking about how much every airline hates YEG and no pre-pandemic service is coming back when tons of stuff is happening behind the scenes.

Just takes time.

More frequencies on YEG-LAX will be loaded soon. Not bookable yet.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 5:30 PM

I really miss YEG-KEF. I would love to have that back.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Correct.

This isn't some flex, it's just frustrating reading so many posts in here by people who have no idea what they're talking about sulking about how much every airline hates YEG and no pre-pandemic service is coming back when tons of stuff is happening behind the scenes.

Just takes time.

Just checked Google flights and both MSP and LA second flights are showing up for booking.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I told y'all.

Just give me YEG-YHM. That's all I ask

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelrs View Post
just give me YEG-LHR. That's all i ask
Fixed that for you

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Correct.

Just takes time.

Funny how those people are awfully silent now

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 12:42 AM

^ I think that would be the tipping point for me if Westjet dedicated to providing London service. I can understand the business model Westjet wants to maintain but just like apparent success with their Minneapolis route a London flight with support from their new regional expansion may sustain itself. I think it can work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton