HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 2:21 PM

Isn't there something cooking at Brazos Lofts as well? IIRC, it was being listed for sale, but we haven't heard anything on it for a while?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Isn't there something cooking at Brazos Lofts as well? IIRC, it was being listed for sale, but we haven't heard anything on it for a while?
I think it changed hands last year (or so?) but so far as I know no plans have been announced.

One of the major locals developers bought it (Cielo is what I’m remembering, but could be wrong) so I wouldn’t be surprised to see plans at some point.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 2:53 AM

Any news on this monster?

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Any news on this monster?
I can't find anything positive about this project. It's definitely on a pandemic hold, if not dead as proposed. This was Chicago developer CA Ventures' first big Austin project, but they are still active in Austin. They are currently getting the permitting for their 26-story Nueces Tower in WC.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I can't find anything positive about this project. It's definitely on a pandemic hold, if not dead as proposed. This was Chicago developer CA Ventures' first big Austin project, but they are still active in Austin. They are currently getting the permitting for their 26-story Nueces Tower in WC.
Thanks for peeking. Hoping it unlocks relatively soon....

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 6:15 AM
Meh

This has potential, I suppose, but I'm not a fan of the design so far. I know the plan is for as many corner offices and outdoor spaces as possible, but the design is bizarre. Hodge podge is the phrase that keeps coming to mind.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 3:07 AM

It's difficult to tell what this tower would have looked like based on the elevations alone.

But this U/C tower by the architect in the developer's hometown of Chicago would be a signature tower in most cities:

https://www.instagram.com/goettschpartners/

Last edited by The ATX; Jul 5, 2021 at 1:07 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 5:56 PM

This project has come back to life. The original developer CA Ventures sold the project to Cielo. There are some updates to the site plan, but I don't see any indication what Ver. 2.0 will look like. There are mentions of new elevations and footprint, so this is basically a new building. I don't think it was downsized too much because the original square footage was 1,439,757 and the updated square footage is 1,344,700.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=166208

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 7:37 PM

Also, this is apparently all office now based on this update to the site plan. The top half had been apartments:

That's unusual post-Covid.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 11:45 PM

That 100% office thing makes you go hmmmmmm

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 2:19 AM

Do we know if there is an actual oversupply of office space downtown, or are we just assuming that because Covid?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 5:13 PM

My wild ass guess is that developers are realizing that the covid factor will be gone by the time any new building proposals are finished and open. It really shouldn't factor much into their calculations anymore (not that it ever should have IMHO). I also wouldn't be surprised if the approval of the new rail plan changes some calculations. Downtown office space within a few blocks of a rail station will eventually be more coveted and should be leaseable at a premium.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 6:22 PM
Member since 2001

Two things:

First, I think we have the right to be worried about the design of this tower. CA Ventures seems to be out (and potentially their architect) and the developers of the gorgeous Third & Shoal are in. Lord help us!

Second, Geez...all office? This could - by far - be the largest office tower in Austin. Potentially more than a million RSF (unless 28 stories of parking are included in the 1.3+ million total SF value).

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Two things:

First, I think we have the right to be worried about the design of this tower. CA Ventures seems to be out (and potentially their architect) and the developers of the gorgeous Third & Shoal are in. Lord help us!

Second, Geez...all office? This could - by far - be the largest office tower in Austin. Potentially more than a million RSF (unless 28 stories of parking are included in the 1.3+ million total SF value).
OMG!!!!!
The Big Daddy of all Third and Shoals - That would ruin our skyline FOREVER!! The WHOLE BUILDING would be recycled poverty siding!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 2:42 AM
Meh

I wasn't a fan of the original design, so if they wanna swing an ax at it to change it up I'm good with that.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I wasn't a fan of the original design, so if they wanna swing an ax at it to change it up I'm good with that.
It is a different architect, but I don't know who. The problem I have with this project is that it is Cielo. Their one successful downtown high-rise project is ugly, albeit successful by the fact that it was quickly leased. Their other one - Block 87 - was vaporware. No matter what the new tower looks like, I don't think an office tower this large will be able to get financing any time soon.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 4:10 AM

Farther up this page We vs Us says that Cielo may have bought Brazos Lofts. If that is the case the redesign may be to incorporate the full block rather than just a half block.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Farther up this page We vs Us says that Cielo may have bought Brazos Lofts. If that is the case the redesign may be to incorporate the full block rather than just a half block.
Yup. Towers reported on it, way back in Jan 2020.

https://austin.towers.net/brazos-lof...-condo-buyout/

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 5:03 PM

Towers update:

https://austin.towers.net/cielo-plan...th-and-brazos/

Quote:
Cielo will take over the development of that southern half-block, last occupied by downtown event venue Brazos Hall and a small office building, with new plans for an approximately 50-story, 750,000-square-foot office tower.
Quote:
The firm expects to develop a second tower on the northern half of the block as part of a later phase, which would require the demolition of the current Brazos Lofts building. Cielo co-founder Bobby Dillard says the company does not yet have specific plans for the design or use of the northern tower, but that this half of the site could accommodate up to 886,200 square feet of new development.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 5:51 PM

Wow.

This was exceptionally interesting to me:

Quote:
“Downtown continues to lure marquee companies, but it’s difficult for many of these businesses to find office space large enough to meet their needs. By developing an entire city block, we can provide companies with more space, greater flexibility and unique onsite amenities that can be shared by the two buildings.”

— Bobby Dillard, Co-Founder and Co-CEO, Cielo Property Group

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin