HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:14 AM

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:19 AM

Honestly I have no opinion one way or the other. I am not s huge fan of DCs unless there needs to be significant improvements to utility infrastructure. I'm just glad this is finally going to be able to get started on this. Completion of this assuming it starts relatively soon might coincide well with LRT.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 2:51 PM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 2:55 PM

Also answers the height question - 58m.

Until the Stoney Creek mega-tower complex is built, I believe that makes this the tallest building outside of downtown.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 3:14 PM

I cannot wait for this to get started. This plus LRT beside each other is going to be huge for this area. Now if Mac could get a decent off campus bar I wouldn't be so embarrassed to be an alumni.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Also answers the height question - 58m.

Until the Stoney Creek mega-tower complex is built, I believe that makes this the tallest building outside of downtown.
even taller than Gage and Fennell or the one the escarpment edge near hospital?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
even taller than Gage and Fennell or the one the escarpment edge near hospital?
Ahh, good catch. A quick measure on google earth gives the Gage and Fennell tower a rough height of 64 metres. The tallest tower along the escarpment gets up to 52 metres by quick measurement, and even then only to a very small elevator overrun with most of the roof sitting much lower.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 1:52 PM
Ham-burgher

And of course, parking was a bone of contention...

McMaster hopes to demolish derelict Westdale homes ASAP for new off-campus residence
University and development partner reach settlement with city and neighbourhood group to move forward on $150-million project

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...residence.html

Teviah Moro
The Hamilton Spectator
Tue., Dec. 21, 2021

McMaster University aims to transform a row of boarded-up homes in Westdale into an off-campus undergraduate residence by 2024.

With a legal settlement reached over the disputed plan, McMaster hopes to bulldoze the shabby, fenced-off bunch “as soon as possible,” spokesperson Wade Hemsworth says.

Knocking down the 14 homes will clear the way for the 1,379-bed project at 1190 Main St. W., a site wedged between Traymore, Forsyth and Dalewood avenues.

The university’s roughly $150-million project will help fill a big gap. McMaster has more than 7,500 first-year students but only 3,900 residence spaces.

“McMaster is one of the few universities in Ontario that cannot offer guaranteed residence for its first-year students,” Hemsworth said. “The Main Street residence project will get the university much closer to meeting the needs of its new students.”

A 15-storey tower at the southwest end of the property is to be the highest point of the future residence. The rest of the development will be 10 storeys or lower.

Height and parking were points of contention before the Ontario Land Tribunal, formerly called the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT).

Last week, McMaster and its development partner, Knightstone Capital Management II Inc., and the city and Concerned Residents of Westdale (CROW) presented their settlement before the OLT.

“It was probably the most that we could expect, and there were some compromises,” CROW member Alan Livingston, who lives just north of the development site, told The Spectator.

Overall, the project calls for 270 parking spaces, with 43 on the site. Of those, 35 student spots are to be on the property or within 300 metres. The bulk, however, can be situated more than 300 metres away.

That’s not adequate, said Livingston, predicting the parking plan will affect the neighbourhood negatively.

“The city basically caved on that one,” he said. “We would have been a lot happier with more spots at the building or certainly within 300 metres.”

full story

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 5:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

I've noticed since Monday there are a lot of white hardhats on site. I'm guessing they are cutting off the gas lines, etc., and preparing to demo.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 7:34 PM

By accident I spoke with someone in the know with Mac that this should get going in the fall. Unfortunately I was told it's been knocked down to 12 Stories.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:47 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
By accident I spoke with someone in the know with Mac that this should get going in the fall. Unfortunately I was told it's been knocked down to 12 Stories.
I wonder if it's just the tallest portion that may be scaled back.

It's still going to be a very large development relative to the area.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 1:33 PM

Looks like they are cleaning up the last of the issues at Site Plan.. dotting the I's and crossing the T's..

https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2022/...est-site-plan/

Quote:
McMaster/Knightstone Going Back to OLT Over 1190 Main Street West Site Plan

Lawyers for McMaster University and Knightstone Capital Management are asking the Ontario Land Tribunal to hold a hearing on their site plan submission for 1190 Main Street West.

McMaster/Knightstone reached a settlement agreement with the City of Hamilton in late 2021 to permit the building of the 1,379-bed residence. The building will be 15 storeys closest to the rest of campus on its west site, and 10 storeys or below as it transitions to the east side of the property bound by Dalewood Avenue.

In a notice of hearing issued Wednesday, the Tribunal states the hearing is requested by David Bronskill of Goodmans LLP who is representing McMaster and Knightstone.

“A site plan appeal for this matter remains before the Tribunal. Good progress has been made towards resolution of the site plan matters,” wrote Bronskill in the request for a hearing date. “After speaking with City legal about different options for implementation of approval of the site plan application, and considering different timing options and other matters, our client believes that asking the Tribunal to approve the plans/drawings and conditions of approval would be the preferred route forward.”

The hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, August 3, 2022.

McMaster University is presently short thousands of residence beds which is impacting the institution’s recruitment efforts for both undergraduate and graduate students.

An OLT approval of the Site Plan application will enable McMaster to get construction permits.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:13 PM
It's Hammer Time

They are preparing to demolish the houses along Main Street.

Disconnecting utilities at the Main Street undergraduate residence site

https://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/worthm...esidence-site/

McMaster has received approval from the city to disconnect utilities on the site of the new undergraduate residence, located on Main Street West between Dalewood and Forsyth avenues.

Activity on the site will begin on Monday, Sept. 26 as contractors do this work.

This is a requirement of the City of Hamilton in advance of issuing demolition permits. The university anticipates that demolition will begin some time in the fall.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 3:08 PM

Have these started demolition yet? I haven't been by, and I know these were supposed to start in the last week or two.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 3:22 PM
Ham-burgher

They had better start soon, if they want to avoid another incident (like the fire this week) and potential harm to anyone "living" in any of those homes.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 2:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Demolition update

https://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/worthm...lition-update/

The final stage of demolition of the buildings on the site of the new McMaster student residence is expected to start next week after the university received permits from the City of Hamilton.

Buildings at the site, located on Main Street West between Dalewood and Forsyth, will begin to be torn down and removed in the coming weeks.

The City of Hamilton was able to provide demolition permits soon after the recent removal of underground utilities on the site.

McMaster began receiving permits from the City of Hamilton on October 12. A contracted professional demolition company is expected to start this work early next week. This work will include protecting the site boundaries, then the careful removal of materials from inside the homes, followed by complete demolition as soon as possible.

The university expects that demolition will take approximately six to eight weeks.

Last edited by SteelTown; Oct 18, 2022 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 2:20 PM

No action that I saw yesterday when I was nearby.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 2:30 PM

McMaster will follow the rules by the letter and not start anything before every permit is ready, ever i is doted and every t is crossed. Unlike private developers who will go when their ready and pay the fine as the cost of doing business.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 2:32 PM

Didn't they start construction on McMaster grad residences without the permits and even got called out by the city on it.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Didn't they start construction on McMaster grad residences without the permits and even got called out by the city on it.
Yep

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton