HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 12:47 PM

I mean, the questions are as you make of them. I don't think my answers were skewed

Although I did write them an entire novella in the 'other' category each time. But I know these are compiled and reviewed by those functionnaires who work there.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
What official letters doesn’t he write?
You may remember in the Watson years, Council often directed the Mayor to write a letter to this agency, or that MP, or the Premier, the NCC, on the City's position regarding a certain subject. Well, Sutcliffe refuses to write letters. Usually. But this time, he unilaterally decided to take position without consulting Council and write an open letter to the NCC.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
On paper, no one (very few people?) are allowed to use the parking garage during RedBlacks games.
While it's a fraction of the total crowd, a good number of tickets include on-site parking, usually season ticket holders in the range of ~500ish per game. It fills the garage completely.

Those aside, the garage still needs to be accessible for residents and businesses on site during games. Dumping that traffic into site right as a game ends would not be an improvement.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 2:59 PM

What about making QED one lane, one way for cars? Leave the rest to active transportation?

Still prefer transit, but I highly doubt that's ever going to happen. It's never part of the official dissuasions.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
What about making QED one lane, one way for cars? Leave the rest to active transportation?

Still prefer transit, but I highly doubt that's ever going to happen. It's never part of the official dissuasions.
Just build proper cycle tracks along the QED if the existing MUPs are overused. Of course, it is cheap to just close the roads, rather than spend some money and keep pretty well everybody happy.

Just as I said in a comment recently, there are those who want all 'vacant' downtown properties to be another neighbourhood park. This is another example. And to those, who want to enliven the canal waterfront with more restaurants and patios, closing road access will not accomplish this.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Yep, this is it for me. You could easily re-align the right of way to leave more space along the canal for whatever. Particularly around Lansdowne.

I do care about the businesses at Lansdowne though. The entertainment businesses like the theatre and the restaurants are the key day to day draws. As would be the Rec Room.
I mean, I care about them in that it's great when businesses do well, but I don't carry any particular water for OSEG and any auto-centric thinking that they may be engaged in, when I express concerns about the "open for people" movement closing off yet another option for improving bus transit in central Ottawa.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Because they see everything through a lens of ethnicity.
I think it's called seeing things in a survey through the lens of demography, so that responses, which are inevitably going to be skewed by astroturfing, can at least have some attempt at weighting, or that the caveat can be offered that the survey response population is different from the general population (and here's how.)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Just as I said in a comment recently, there are those who want all 'vacant' downtown properties to be another neighbourhood park. This is another example. And to those, who want to enliven the canal waterfront with more restaurants and patios, closing road access will not accomplish this.
Private commercial interests? In our precious nationally-significant green space for all Canadians? (Faints.)

The worst thing that ever happened to the canal was the rush to make it entirely ornamental.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Private commercial interests? In our precious nationally-significant green space for all Canadians? (Faints.)

The worst thing that ever happened to the canal was the rush to make it entirely ornamental.
It has been ornamental for over 100 years. Would it be better to have warehouses, private boat houses and railways? That is what proceeded the parkway corridors. In any event, the canal lands were government property since the beginning of Bytown.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 5:29 PM

Quote:
It has been ornamental for over 100 years.
That tells you how long ago it was, not how quickly it took.

Quote:
Would it be better to have warehouses, private boat houses and railways? That is what proceeded the parkway corridors.
Why not? Part of the "dullness" of Ottawa comes from the fact we have spent the past century actively driving out anything resembling industry, and replaced it with acre upon acre of boring-ass, but somehow "nationally significant", patches of grass.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 11:45 AM

Nussbaum: Here's why the NCC restricts vehicle access on Ottawa's scenic parkways
Our capital’s parkways, such as The Queen Elizabeth Driveway, are key to creating a sustainable urban experience — more important than ever as the climate changes.

Author of the article: Tobi Nussbaum
Published Jul 19, 2023
https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/nu...cenic-parkways

The National Capital Commission works to provide opportunities to make our capital a leader in creating the kind of livable and sustainable urban experience we can all enjoy, a motivation shared by many cities across the globe.

One part of that is exploring ways for our scenic parkways to function less as commuter corridors — which they were never intended to be — and more as destinations in themselves, particularly in the summer months.

In 2020, at the height of the pandemic, the NCC reserved a portion of the Queen Elizabeth Driveway (QED) for cycling, walking and all other modes of active transportation at a time when it was desperately needed for the physical and mental well-being of residents in the capital. Adjacent to the busiest pathway in the NCC’s network, the QED’s “open street” was favourably received and well-used.

As the pandemic waned, the popularity of the QED as a safe and active destination has remained strong. Surveys conducted last year by the NCC indicate that 91 per cent of respondents are supportive of the continuation of the active-use program. Since the program was launched in mid-May, the road open for active use has seen thousands of users daily on the street alone, not counting the neighbouring, often crowded, pathways.

Based on the program’s ongoing popularity and usage, and feedback from last year’s program, the NCC is offering a version of the program for 2023 that sees the QED reserved for active use from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (rather than 24 hours last year) during spring and fall weekends, and daily from Canada Day to Labour Day from Somerset to Fifth Avenue, creating a unique, safe and environmentally friendly way to experience the beauty of the region.

We have also suspended the program to accommodate major events at Lansdowne and recent work on the Queensway. This year, an in-person survey and traffic monitoring will accompany the program to inform our decision-making moving forward.

Creating inspiring, sustainable and safe outdoor spaces for residents and attracting more visitors to the capital who are keen to experience our amazing waterways and shorelines advances the NCC’s own parkway policy goals and finds support in the City of Ottawa Official Plan.

The city’s plan asks us to “re-imagine Queen Elizabeth Driveway and Colonel By Drive to reduce the roads’ importance as a commuter route in favour of pedestrian activity and green space connections with consideration of canal crossings. This may include limiting vehicular access and reducing traffic speed.” We have done just that.

We have also been open to adjusting the program. We remain willing to collaborate on how best to provide this experience to residents and visitors, who clearly like — and use — QED as an active transportation corridor. Other cities such as Montreal have similar versions of this program on commercial streets and have had enormous success with residents, businesses and tourists.

With our popular waterfront bistros, and soon-to-open NCC River House along the Sir George-Étienne Cartier Parkway, complete with urban swimming docks, we are finding new ways to bring more life and energy to our shorelines, so that everyone can enjoy the amazing views and waterways of the capital. We are also exploring the feasibility of aquabus services on both sides of the Ottawa River and along the Rideau Canal.

Never before has the importance of offering innovative and experimental ideas to increase the dynamism and sustainability of our cities been greater. And creating new spaces and experiences that draw tourism and people downtown is a shared post-pandemic priority.

Public organizations must also think creatively, differently and meaningfully about how to contribute to reducing our carbon footprint — especially urgent as we experience a summer of unprecedented climate impacts. We need more energy invested in thoughtful change to achieve these objectives from all corners, and hope to have willing municipal and community partners in this effort.

Tobi Nussbaum is CEO of the National Capital Commission.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
Nussbaum: Here's why the NCC restricts vehicle access on Ottawa's scenic parkways
Our capital’s parkways, such as The Queen Elizabeth Driveway, are key to creating a sustainable urban experience — more important than ever as the climate changes.

Author of the article: Tobi Nussbaum
Published Jul 19, 2023
https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/nu...cenic-parkways

The National Capital Commission works to provide opportunities to make our capital a leader in creating the kind of livable and sustainable urban experience we can all enjoy, a motivation shared by many cities across the globe.

One part of that is exploring ways for our scenic parkways to function less as commuter corridors — which they were never intended to be — and more as destinations in themselves, particularly in the summer months.

In 2020, at the height of the pandemic, the NCC reserved a portion of the Queen Elizabeth Driveway (QED) for cycling, walking and all other modes of active transportation at a time when it was desperately needed for the physical and mental well-being of residents in the capital. Adjacent to the busiest pathway in the NCC’s network, the QED’s “open street” was favourably received and well-used.

As the pandemic waned, the popularity of the QED as a safe and active destination has remained strong. Surveys conducted last year by the NCC indicate that 91 per cent of respondents are supportive of the continuation of the active-use program. Since the program was launched in mid-May, the road open for active use has seen thousands of users daily on the street alone, not counting the neighbouring, often crowded, pathways.

Based on the program’s ongoing popularity and usage, and feedback from last year’s program, the NCC is offering a version of the program for 2023 that sees the QED reserved for active use from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (rather than 24 hours last year) during spring and fall weekends, and daily from Canada Day to Labour Day from Somerset to Fifth Avenue, creating a unique, safe and environmentally friendly way to experience the beauty of the region.

We have also suspended the program to accommodate major events at Lansdowne and recent work on the Queensway. This year, an in-person survey and traffic monitoring will accompany the program to inform our decision-making moving forward.

Creating inspiring, sustainable and safe outdoor spaces for residents and attracting more visitors to the capital who are keen to experience our amazing waterways and shorelines advances the NCC’s own parkway policy goals and finds support in the City of Ottawa Official Plan.

The city’s plan asks us to “re-imagine Queen Elizabeth Driveway and Colonel By Drive to reduce the roads’ importance as a commuter route in favour of pedestrian activity and green space connections with consideration of canal crossings. This may include limiting vehicular access and reducing traffic speed.” We have done just that.

We have also been open to adjusting the program. We remain willing to collaborate on how best to provide this experience to residents and visitors, who clearly like — and use — QED as an active transportation corridor. Other cities such as Montreal have similar versions of this program on commercial streets and have had enormous success with residents, businesses and tourists.

With our popular waterfront bistros, and soon-to-open NCC River House along the Sir George-Étienne Cartier Parkway, complete with urban swimming docks, we are finding new ways to bring more life and energy to our shorelines, so that everyone can enjoy the amazing views and waterways of the capital. We are also exploring the feasibility of aquabus services on both sides of the Ottawa River and along the Rideau Canal.

Never before has the importance of offering innovative and experimental ideas to increase the dynamism and sustainability of our cities been greater. And creating new spaces and experiences that draw tourism and people downtown is a shared post-pandemic priority.

Public organizations must also think creatively, differently and meaningfully about how to contribute to reducing our carbon footprint — especially urgent as we experience a summer of unprecedented climate impacts. We need more energy invested in thoughtful change to achieve these objectives from all corners, and hope to have willing municipal and community partners in this effort.

Tobi Nussbaum is CEO of the National Capital Commission.
Why is it that it is always north-south routes that need road diets? We don't have a north-south Queensway, and we don't have a fast transit route into downtown either. I wonder what would happen if we closed the east-west parkways everyday as well.

I recall driving from my house near the airport to Carleton Place on a Saturday morning, and it took as long to go from my house to the Queensway at Bronson as it did from there to Carleton Place. And when was the last time that the Bronson exit was fully open?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Why is it that it is always north-south routes that need road diets? We don't have a north-south Queensway, and we don't have a fast transit route into downtown either. I wonder what would happen if we closed the east-west parkways everyday as well.
In the east the small section of the George-Etienne Cartier that's closed on the weekends could easily be closed 7-days a week. It's very sparsely driven and only two lanes. Would have zero impact on traffic.

This is also my experience of the closed section of the QED whenever I've driven it. It's a slow and indirect route, so very few cars use it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 2:56 PM

I think it is lightly used in the Dow’s lake area. It is the main route to access Landsdowne and a key route to get to the airport, so I wouldn’t describe east of Bronson as lightly used.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I think it is lightly used in the Dow’s lake area. It is the main route to access Landsdowne and a key route to get to the airport, so I wouldn’t describe east of Bronson as lightly used.
The section from Dow's Lake to Fifth with access to Lansdowne is never closed.

I was describing the section from Fifth to Somerset, which is the section being discussed, since it is the only section closed during the day for active use. From my experience that section has always had very little usage. Maybe it got some more usage if there was an event at Lansdowne, but I lived in the area until a year ago and it wasn't notable.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 4:04 PM

Business leaders call for compromise on Queen Elizabeth Driveway closure

Mia Jensen, OBJ
July 19, 2023

Amid controversy surrounding the closure of a portion of the Queen Elizabeth Driveway to cars, local business officials are calling for a compromise that would encourage “active transit” while also addressing the concerns of businesses and residents.

Janice Barresi, vice-president of brand and social impact for Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG), said the organization has long held concerns about closing the road. OSEG owns and operates the Ottawa Redblacks football club and the Ottawa 67’s hockey club and manages events at the TD Place complex and throughout the Lansdowne district.

“We’ve expressed our concerns to the (National Capital Commission) regarding the negative impact of the parkway closure to Lansdowne tourism, local residents and small businesses in the neighbourhood,” she said. “We welcome four million visitors annually and having access to only one major artery (Bank Street) as an entry point will serve as a deterrent to visitors.”

As part of its active use program that began as a pandemic measure in 2020, the NCC closed a stretch of the driveway on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. from Fifth Avenue to Somerset Street from Canada Day to Labour Day. The road was also closed to vehicles on weekends and holidays from May 13 to June 25, as well as Sept. 9 to Thanksgiving Monday.

The active use program is designed to reserve parkways for biking, walking and other car-free transportation methods from May to October.

However, the daily closure of the QED has sparked debate in recent days at city council and among residents. Last week, Ottawa Mayor Mark Sutcliffe questioned the NCC’s decision to close the driveway, citing impacts on traffic flow as well as on surrounding neighbourhoods.

“There’s no question that, when Queen Elizabeth Drive is closed and there’s a big event at Lansdowne Park, it has an enormous impact on traffic in the area,” he told reporters after last week’s city council meeting.

“We see traffic going on to residential roads in the neighbourhood and, of course, more traffic on Bank Street. And so I don’t support any plan to permanently close Queen Elizabeth Drive to vehicles.”

The current closure allows access to Lansdowne via Princess Patricia Way and, according to Barresi, OSEG has permission to allow vehicle access and shuttle service along the QED, as well as increased bus frequency on adjacent routes, for Redblacks games.

As a result, it’s other midsize events at Lansdowne, from festivals to flea markets, that are most affected by the closure, she added.

“Guests will try to access Lansdowne, encounter the closure, and then divert onto the local neighbouring streets,” she said. “It’s congesting Bank Street and people can’t access the businesses there. Then the residents are impacted because the streets are clogged and they can’t get out of their driveways.”

According to the 2021 Lansdowne Transportation Demand Management Report, about 58.8 per cent of attendees at TD Place use vehicles to get to events, a drop from 68 per cent in 2018. While event-goers rely overwhelmingly on cars, other alternatives are gaining traction. In 2021, 17.2 per cent walked or cycled, compared with only seven per cent in 2018.

Patrick Burke, executive director of the Glebe BIA, said businesses along Bank Street have felt the impacts of increased congestion.

“The QED is just a route that a lot of people use, whether they’re travelling through the city or incidentally,” he said. “When it’s closed, there are more cars on Bank Street. It makes the trips slower and it takes longer for people to get to the front door of a local shop or restaurant. I think that just causes frustration for people who support local businesses here.”

He added that, while the impact on vehicle traffic is fairly clear, it’s harder to gauge the effect on foot traffic to businesses in the area. To better assess the impact, Burke said he’d like the NCC to be more transparent about usage numbers.

“The people who use the QED (for active transit) definitely enjoy it. It’s a pleasant experience and the canal is obviously beautiful,” he said.

“I’d like to see more engagement from the NCC, first and foremost. It’s a great program some of the time, but having it all across the summer is a big challenge. Some people want it to stay the same and others are just open to more flexible solutions.”

In a statement, the NCC said the active use program has been popular this year, with nearly 50,000 visits since May.

“The NCC is working to make our capital a leader in creating the kind of livable and sustainable urban experience we can all enjoy and that other cities might wish to emulate,” spokesperson Benoît Desjardins said. “Our active use program on Queen Elizabeth Drive helps alleviate the pressure on the capital pathway network, which is used to capacity during the summer.”

He added that the QED, like the Sir George-Etienne Cartier Parkway and the Kichi Zībī Mīkan, is a roadway that was intended to serve as a scenic route, rather than a commuter road.

Last week, the NCC launched a survey to solicit feedback on future iterations of the active-use program.

Barresi said OSEG would also like to work more closely with the NCC, as well as with the city and other stakeholders, to examine adjustments to the program.

She said she sees the potential for a compromise, such as adjusting closure hours, reopening for big events or introducing more shuttle service where it’s economical to do so.

“Previously, the NCC would close the parkway to cars in the morning,” she said. “That doesn’t impact the major events and wouldn’t have the same negative implications for the neighbouring community.

“So I think there are a number of viable options that, if we convene key stakeholders, we could find a win-win solution. We’re committed to active transportation, we want people to take different means to access our site, but we need to work together to find solutions.”

https://obj.ca/business-leaders-comp...beth-driveway/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 5:24 PM

I think that the issue is that roadways are being restricted without any alternatives being provided. If, for example, a Bank Street Subway could provide rapid transit from Riverside South directly into downtown, connecting to South Keys, the Baseline BRT, Billings Bridge, and Lansdowne along the way, then there would be a viable alternative for people. Just shutting down major transportation routes, without providing viable alternatives, makes people upset.

As for the Queen Elizabeth Drive (QED) being lightly traveled, this conflicts with the other stated view that it is a major commuter “mini-freeway”. I know that I have driven the QED (off-peak) and I don’t recall ever being the only vehicle in sight. It was usually crowded enough that I didn’t want to slow down too much (for my out-of-town guests) to view the scenery.

Surveys can be skewed to produce any desired results. If, for example, the NCC stopped people riding along the QED and asked them if they would like the road to be closed permanently to cars, a positive response would likely be quite high. If the city polled nearby residents, who are complaining about ‘cut-through’ traffic that has been diverted onto ‘their’ residential streets, I suspect the majority would be opposed to a permanent closure of the QED.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
I think that the issue is that roadways are being restricted without any alternatives being provided. If, for example, a Bank Street Subway could provide rapid transit from Riverside South directly into downtown, connecting to South Keys, the Baseline BRT, Billings Bridge, and Lansdowne along the way, then there would be a viable alternative for people. Just shutting down major transportation routes, without providing viable alternatives, makes people upset.

As for the Queen Elizabeth Drive (QED) being lightly traveled, this conflicts with the other stated view that it is a major commuter “mini-freeway”. I know that I have driven the QED (off-peak) and I don’t recall ever being the only vehicle in sight. It was usually crowded enough that I didn’t want to slow down too much (for my out-of-town guests) to view the scenery.
This is true for the section through the Glebe. It is generally fairly well-travelled to the point that it isn't easy to cross on foot. During peak times, it becomes quite busy. The part north of the 417 is much less busy.

Unfortunately Ottawa's penchant for building high volume transit sort of near core neighbourhoods instead of through core neighbourhoods means that there will not be good alternatives for a long, long time.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 9:56 PM

From Brandon Lind on Twitter:

There has been some discussion over the last few days about the National Capital Commission - Commission de la capitale nationale decision to restrict vehicle access to Queen Elizabeth Drive along The Canal. As someone who cares deeply about Ottawa and city building, I thought I would add my opinion.

Rather than debating who gets access to a ~10m wide piece of asphalt, can we be bold about QED and the programming along our waterfronts in general? All over the world, cities are activating their waterfronts by creating vibrant places to be - most people love being by water!

A new continuous separated cycling path that could be used for cross-country skiing in winter would run the entire area allowing for the existing pathway to be dedicated to pedestrians. A public pool and public bath would provide residents places to cool off as our climate warms.

New spaces would allow friends to meet up for a game of pickleball, a couple to pick up some ice cream and a walk along the canal or some Redblacks fans to enjoy a drink before the big game. The goal would be to draw people to QED as a place to enjoy rather than just pass through.

Enhanced vegetation, urban agriculture, and reduced asphalt would benefit residents' well-being while reducing the urban heat island effect and improving stormwater management, improving the city's resiliency to future climate shocks.

If you agree that we should be bolder with our approach to city building, share this with your councillor and Mark Sutcliffe, talk to your friends and families, and always question why we can't do better here!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 10:16 PM

I think that such an active 'park' would be lovely. But it should only be implemented AFTER an alternative transportation route is provided.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation