HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 8:18 PM

I like it. Too bad they haven't done anything this nice on Rideau.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Claridge kickstarts three-tower development plan for land beside Lyon LRT station

John Willing
November 12, 2018
Postmedia

Claridge Homes proposes to build three towers around the Lyon LRT station with a mix of rental units, condos and retail space. Some of the development, which is being designed by NEUF Architects, could be used as a hotel. The L-shaped property is sandwiched between Queen and Albert streets. Source: Development application.

Claridge Homes has kickstarted its high-rise development application for land beside the Lyon LRT station with an eye on the rental market, while possibility using some of the complex for a hotel.

It’s the latest proposal for land around the two O-Train lines, although Claridge has had its plan in the works for several years. It was only recently that the developer built a sales centre at the 383 Albert St. property, which in conjunction with land at 340 Queen St. will form the new footprint for the company’s multi-tower complex.

The Queen Street property is currently home to a brick building with a pub, strip club and restaurant, while the Albert Street property is a surface parking lot.

Claridge hasn’t moved on the project since a 2011 Ontario Municipal Board decision on minor variances because of “weakened market conditions,” according to a planning rationale filed with the development application at city hall.

But now, with the LRT line scheduled to open within months, the developer is ready to roll. It might also be a good time to build rental units, since the city’s vacancy rate is extremely low.

Claridge originally pitched a two-tower development of residential and office uses. The company then used feedback from the city for a revised concept featuring residential and ground-floor commercial uses across three slim towers.

The latest blueprint calls for three towers built on a shared two-storey base: a 26-storey tower with 160 rental units, a 25-storey tower with 229 condos and a nine-storey tower with 177 rental units. There are 2,152 square metres earmarked for a retail store on the ground level.

The residential units would have an entrance off Albert Street, while those living in the condo tower would enter off Queen Street. The condo building and the nine-storey building are slated to have rooftop terraces.

A four-storey underground parking garage would have 335 vehicle spaces and 195 bike spaces, plus nine bike spaces outside. A hotel would add another 16 bike spaces.

While the LRT station is incorporated in the development, a direct connection from the complex to the station isn’t possible for security reasons, the planning rationale says.

The development application doesn’t include detailed information about a hotel, but Claridge is asking for the zoning to allow a hotel in case it becomes part of a future pursuit.

Claridge also needs council’s permission to alter the land-use rules when it comes to building height, since the previous iteration had a different building layout on the land.

Digging near the LRT line brings a new set of challenges for companies who want to develop land beside the 2.5-kilometre downtown tunnel, which runs under Queen Street. Claridge’s engineering consultant is recommending a vibration monitoring program to make sure construction doesn’t affect the tunnel’s integrity.

The city wants high-density developments near O-Train stations, hopefully to get more people using the rail lines and reduce people’s reliance on car travel.

Trinity Developments has two major transit-orientated projects eyed for the LeBreton Flats and Little Italy areas. The company already has approval for a 65-storey complex near Bayview station, and will now be seeking council permission for a project at the future Trillium Line station at Gladstone Avenue.

In a development application filed at city hall earlier this month, Trinity envisions three connected towers off Loretta Avenue with a pedestrian link to the rail station from the old Standard Bread Company building, currently home to an artist collective.

Daniel Sharp, president of the Enriched Bread Artists’ board of directors, said the artists hope they can be integrated into the development, possibly with help from the city, since they can’t afford high market rents. There are many artists who work in studios on the block, not just at Enriched Bread Artists, he noted.

“They’re becoming more aware of that and the city is aware of that and no one wants to blow that up,” Sharp said.

Mathew Laing, vice-president of development and planning at Trinity, said the company is interested in collaborating with the artists.

“It’s too early to say, but it makes a lot of sense,” Laing said. “There’s a lot of great synergy we can create as an overall site.”
https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...6-69b855c9e2b4

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 1:19 AM

From https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...6-69b855c9e2b4

Quote:
A four-storey underground parking garage would have 335 vehicle spaces
Snip

Quote:
The city wants high-density developments near O-Train stations, hopefully to get more people using the rail lines and reduce people’s reliance on car travel.
Given that this is literally adjacent to Lyon station, I'm disappointed there's still that many parking spaces included and the height isn't higher. I struggle to think of another plot of land in the city that could better use more height and fewer parking spaces to encourage transit use.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 2:03 AM
ハルウララ

What is it we always say about Claridge? First renders are always good, second renders not so much, and then the actual result is below both.

Glad to see more proposals and density but I feel this could have been a bigger project.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
From https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...6-69b855c9e2b4

Snip

Given that this is literally adjacent to Lyon station, I'm disappointed there's still that many parking spaces included and the height isn't higher. I struggle to think of another plot of land in the city that could better use more height and fewer parking spaces to encourage transit use.
335 parking spots for 566 units and 23,000 sq/ft of retail. That's pretty good, as in, not too much parking.

In terms of height, the CBD will forever be subject to height restrictions, and I've made my peace with that. That said, Ottawa has made some major progress over the past few years. The City and the NCC, by not standing in opposition, have allowed skyscraper proposals west of the CBD and along the Trillium. 10-15 years ago, we could never even have imagined that would ever happen (or a rapid transit line, or a downtown arena for that matter).

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
335 parking spots for 566 units and 23,000 sq/ft of retail. That's pretty good, as in, not too much parking.

In terms of height, the CBD will forever be subject to height restrictions, and I've made my peace with that. That said, Ottawa has made some major progress over the past few years. The City and the NCC, by not standing in opposition, have allowed skyscraper proposals west of the CBD and along the Trillium. 10-15 years ago, we could never even have imagined that would ever happen (or a rapid transit line, or a downtown arena for that matter).
That's 0.59 cars per unit (or 3 cars per 5 units). That's still far too much for a highrise building right downtown immediately above a metro station. If not here, where can we have a car-free building?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 12:14 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
That's 0.59 cars per unit (or 3 cars per 5 units). That's still far too much for a highrise building right downtown immediately above a metro station. If not here, where can we have a car-free building?
I don't see the appeal of a car-free building. If constructing more underground garages result in the reduction or elimination of on-street parking, I'm all for them. It's bad enough that the condos on Laurier expect the city to provide their guest parking so they oppose bike lanes.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I don't see the appeal of a car-free building. If constructing more underground garages result in the reduction or elimination of on-street parking, I'm all for them. It's bad enough that the condos on Laurier expect the city to provide their guest parking so they oppose bike lanes.
In a city where a downtown parking space can be rented for $275/month, rest assured that Condo owners will be renting their parking spots for cash-money.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:47 PM
Still optimistic

I think that is a good reason right there why car-lite condos are attractive; I'd much rather cut $250-300/mo off my rent rather than trying to run a spot rental side hussle just to break even.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
In a city where a downtown parking space can be rented for $275/month, rest assured that Condo owners will be renting their parking spots for cash-money.
Condo's normally limit such rentals to other building residents, no?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Condo's normally limit such rentals to other building residents, no?
I know mine does. It's frustrating.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:48 AM

Quote:
I agree that, by Ottawa standards, this is absolutely excellent. If the building were located anywhere else I wouldn't bat an eye.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
I know mine does. It's frustrating.
The last Claridge building with a super-garage (Sobey's) doesn't 'officially' allow rentals for parking, but there's sure a lot of morning in-traffic... just sayin'

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:33 PM
Busy Beaver

Renting out condo parking spots ends up increasing the maintenance and compromising the security of the building. A downtown resident's car will likely go in and out less often than a commuter's that brings in dirt, snow and salt. If I lived in a condo I wouldn't want strangers having uncontrolled access of the elevators, and most of those key cards also function for the building's amenities.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Renting out condo parking spots ends up increasing the maintenance and compromising the security of the building. A downtown resident's car will likely go in and out less often than a commuter's that brings in dirt, snow and salt. If I lived in a condo I wouldn't want strangers having uncontrolled access of the elevators, and most of those key cards also function for the building's amenities.
True story. Not well enforced. Too much money on the line, especially within the CBD.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
You are assuming that all of the parking will be for the housing (condo and rental) and none will be for the retail space. While I am sure that tenants/owners can rent/buy a parking spot, I am sure some of the parking will be open to the public (paid of course) for both visitors and shoppers.

I am disappointed that there won't be direct access to the station. Surely the security concerns could be addressed.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 9:31 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 10:32 PM

Includes a grocery store. About time we get one on that side of Downtown. Even if it is 2 to 5 years away.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 1:45 AM

TOD! TOD! I would love to see a spine of high density development crossing the city from Tunneys to Blair along the LRT; is that too much to ask?

Design is so so, the podium looks mucho bulky.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 10:33 AM

Pulled the renders from the site, since they're a somewhat obscured on the page. It appears they've made some budget-cutting changes to the design, but who's surprised

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa