HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:24 PM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
Looks like the website has been updated to include a number of new renderings, though the video section isn't up and running yet.
Check out the site. Some really great pics. Main Place looks so good...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:45 PM

Shame about the YMCA. Looks like a lovely building. The new one is disappointing - warmed-over '60s modernism from a design perspective, but then so much is these days. Looks to have much worse street interaction than the historic building, but then that's also the norm for most modern stuff these days.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 6:15 PM
Squint Like Clint

Wow that map of the development around the convention center looks very promising. And the new renderings on the Main Place website are definitely worth checking out, I'm really excited about this building!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 6:40 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
I love the map!!!! Definitely loads of potential.

Hopefully it goes without saying that the additional parking structures will have ground level retail planned (if not, then we're shooting ourselves in the financial foot!!). This could really diversify downtown's retail scope if done well. The convention business will soon grow into a cash cow for Houston.
It looks like the two garages nearest the Convention Center would have retail built into them, according to the map legend.

I'm kinda not surprised about the number of hotels planned for the blocks near the GRB. If you see the number of buses that pass through that area during every event, plus the number of taxi cabs around the surrounding blocks almost every day, I'm sure they'll have no problem finding customers.

Curious about those two other residential towers though. They look rather narrow compared to OPP, so I'd guess that parking would be built into them as well. Also wondering if they'd be rentals or condos. Rentals seem to be much easier to pull off in DT as it is today, but in a more developed version... wow.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
That would be awesome if another condo tower was added in their. Maybe they will put them on top of one of the hotels or something...
It would. They already have two in there though, not including One Park Place, so I wouldn't overbuild.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 12:39 PM
FYHA

A Bloomberg article on the state of DT and the ongoing development...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...snw&refer=home

Houston Pitches Downtown Flats, Yao's Eatery to Fight $4 Fuel

By Edward Klump

July 8 (Bloomberg) -- Houston, the fourth-largest U.S. city, hasn't had a new downtown luxury apartment tower in four decades.

That will change next year, when One Park Place opens. The $125 million, 37-story building will have 346 units, charging monthly rents as high as $7,000. The $170 million Houston Pavilions, opening in October, will have offices, shops, a bowling alley and a restaurant owned by the family of Houston Rockets basketball player Yao Ming.

Developers of the two projects are taking on the challenge of boosting the city center's population of 4,000 and enticing commuters to stay for activities after the business day ends. About 200,000 people work, shop or run errands each weekday in downtown Houston, a landscape of vacant storefronts on Main Street and acres of parking lots interspersed with skyscrapers.

"I think it's going to all happen, and it's going to happen in a hurry,'' said Kathleen Hayes, 58, a senior vice president at Merrill Lynch & Co. who plans to move into One Park Place with her husband in March. "It's almost like popcorn.''

U.S. cities are trying to recover from urban planning that pushed housing out of downtowns in the 1970s, when people moved to suburbs for bigger homes and better schools, said Robert Lang, co-director of the Metropolitan Institute at the Alexandria campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Washington, Atlanta and Denver have sought to make urban living more attractive and copy the feel of New York City, he said.

Houston's Turn

The timing is right for Houston, said Mayor Bill White.

"People are wanting to live closer to where they work,'' White said. "To build street-level retail, you need residences. To attract residences, you need street-level retail.''

Three downtown projects with residential space are being discussed, he said. More offices are on the way: Houston-based Hines is developing the 46-story MainPlace, which will house offices of KPMG LLP, and Dallas-based Trammell Crow Co. is building the 30-story Discovery Tower, near the new Discovery Green park.

The advantage of living closer to his job is obvious to Cody Austin, an application consultant for Aveva Inc., a developer of software for the energy industry. He plans to move to One Park Place to reduce the $600-a-month cost of gasoline and tolls to reach his office in the western part of the city from Clear Lake, about 45miles southeast.

"Why not put the money that I'm spending toward gas toward living in a nicer place?'' said Austin, 22. "And I've always wanted to live downtown.''

Skeptics say it will take years to reverse decades of neglecting downtown development in Houston, which sprawls over twice the area of New York.

Timeline for Turnaround

"For 30 years, we've built just the opposite -- we've built away from the urban core,'' said Michael Shine, president of Texas Food Group, who has invested in downtown restaurants. "I think it's going to take us 20 or 30 years.''

Cordish Co., based in Baltimore, tried to help revive downtown Houston in 1997 with construction of Bayou Place, which has movie theaters, a concert venue, restaurants and office space. It doesn't have residences.

"Somebody had to step forward to make something happen,'' said Taylor Gray, development director for Cordish.

The goal is to create a neighborhood atmosphere that will encourage residents to interact, said Bob Eury, president of Central Houston, a nonprofit group supporting downtown revitalization. Houston has a metropolitan population of 5.6 million and encompasses 645 square miles (1,700 square kilometers).

Downtown momentum stalled during the past decade amid street-improvement projects and construction of a new light-rail line, Eury said.

Urban Oasis

In April, the city opened Discovery Green, a $122 million, 12-acre downtown park with a lake, gardens, playgrounds, a promenade and an amphitheater. Hundred-year-old trees were rescued from other sites and transplanted.

About $5 billion has been poured into downtown since 1996, for projects including Minute Maid Park for Major League Baseball's Astros and the Toyota Center for the National Basketball Association's Rockets. The central district also is home to theaters and concert halls.

Professionals who want to be close to downtown jobs now live across Interstate 45 in the Midtown district, which is more pedestrian-friendly and has a grocery store. Midtown's population has jumped 37-fold to about 18,500 since 1990, according to the Midtown Redevelopment Authority, a nonprofit local government corporation, after developers built townhouses and apartment complexes.

Patrons for Pavilions

Midtown's residents will become customers at Houston Pavilions, said William Denton, who is developing the complex with partner Geoffrey Jones. Tenants will include Books-A- Million, House of Blues and a McCormick & Schmick's seafood restaurant.

"If you go to the Toyota Center, for example, and you want to go out to dinner before or go do something after, where do you go?'' Denton said. "There's not a lot of social things to do downtown at this point. We hope to change that.''

Houston-based Finger Cos. is developing One Park Place. The building has a selling point that no other city can claim, said Marvy Finger, chief executive officer: windows looking out on lights shining from miles of refineries and petrochemical plants after sundown.

"You're really viewing a Christmas tree at night,'' he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Edward Klump in Houston at eklump@bloomberg.net.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 11:06 PM
Endless Moments...

Kewl article. Yes it will take some work to make downtown a better place with people all over, but it is moving in the right direction and that is awesome.

"Houston-based Finger Cos. is developing One Park Place. The building has a selling point that no other city can claim, said Marvy Finger, chief executive officer: windows looking out on lights shining from miles of refineries and petrochemical plants after sundown."

Ohh I couldnt agree more. My favorite drive is over the ship channel drive at night and just amazed at all those lights. Very Very Very Nice...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
June 30, 2008, 11:58PM
Landmark YMCA facility to face demolition soon
Chevron to buy downtown block; nonprofit to get a greener home
...In all, the company has 2.9 million square feet in the Central Business District...
CHevron ought to just close up San Ramon and move the headquarters to Houston...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 3:00 AM

I know right? It's like most of their operations are in Houston.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 9:22 AM
FYHA

Just a shot from a few days ago on the Great Lawn at Discovery Green

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 3:46 PM
H-town Baller

There is never a shot where OOP doesn't look great. I really like the affect it has on the park and vice versa.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 1:34 AM
Endless Moments...

Ah I went downtown today. It was hot, but i loved it. Got some reading done and did a little people watching, always fun. Anyhow here are a few pics i took from the area. Enjoy...

One Park Place

Hey look at that, look who is making the skyline ever better...

Houston Pavillions

Main Place

I took this pic and did a little sketch. MP should be about this height when viewing DT from the south. It will look very nice indeed...

Discovery Tower

Now its time for some rest...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 1:59 PM
Baryonic Lord

Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 4:33 PM
FYHA

The Houston Ballet is looking to relocate its' headquarters Downtown, potentially with a skybridge connection to the Wortham Center.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houst...04/story3.html

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 4:39 PM

^^^Niice. LOL it's funny... this site is currently a parking lot with an old bank. This past spring I was performing with Houston Grand Opera, so I would park in this lot. One day I went to park on the lot for an evening rehearsal, and the bank was there.... by the end of rehearsal when I went to get my car (about 3 hours) the bank was a complete pile of rubble!!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 4:45 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
The Houston Ballet is looking to relocate its' headquarters Downtown, potentially with a skybridge connection to the Wortham Center.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houst...04/story3.html
so... where was the headquarters before? somewhere in the middle of nowhere? woodlands? katy?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 4:48 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee View Post
so... where was the headquarters before? somewhere in the middle of nowhere? woodlands? katy?
From the article...

Quote:
The Houston Ballet is currently headquartered about three miles from downtown in a two-story building on West Gray between Woodhead and Dunlavy.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 6:31 PM
Baryonic Lord

Ah.... thanks!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 2:28 AM
FYHA

Here are a couple updates on a few lesser-discussed projects DT.

First, the El Paso Energy Building will be undergoing an extensive renovation to modernize and upgrade the building. Looks to have just begun and will be completed by 2011.

From PAC, a Hines rep w/ MainPlace, who posts on HAIF at times...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/...dpost&p=266657

Quote:
El Paso is basically gutting the entire building, and redoing everything from the structure out. I believe the building is also getting a new, all glass lobby which is supposed to be spectacular. Hines is acting as the Project Manager, with Gilbane as the General Contractor.
And a photo of mine from this afternoon. Looks like it's begun. From a distance, it was easy to see the lighting in those floors, so the windows may already have been removed around that part of the building.

Caddy-corner to it, at Enterprise Tower, the new plaza is nearing completion. I think it's supposed to be ready before the end of the year and will include benches, fountains and several trees. Again, photos from this afternoon...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Here are a couple updates on a few lesser-discussed projects DT.

First, the El Paso Energy Building will be undergoing an extensive renovation to modernize and upgrade the building. Looks to have just begun and will be completed by 2011.
Good news! I hope they will take lighting into consideration & do away with the ugly yellow Houston "Christmas light" theme if it has that. Lighting up buildings at night seems to be an after thought in Houston.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral