HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 9:18 PM
Daddy Likes it Dirty!

Quote:
Habsfan we will see for sure. But in the past even when the first boom in Alberta ended in the eighties and the province "tanked" economically, Alberta was still ahead of the rest of Canada. This time it may be better off due to the growth of the population base of ALberta but time will tell. I agree with you regarding the Olympics in Vancouver. It may usher in an era of prosperity like the expo did for Vancouver or it may leave it with a debt legacy like Montreal.
When i mentionned Vancouver and the Olympics, i wasn't really tqalking about if the Games would make a profit or not. In my opinion, the games of 2010 have a good chance to make a profit, because since the 84 olympics in L-A, T-V Rights have SKYROCKETED to crazy proportions, which almost guarantee that a city should not lose money on Olympics....unlike 30 years ago, when T-V rights where almost non-existant. anyways...

What i was talking about is that Vancouver might be on an upswing right now as all the hoopla and the enthusiasm for the olympics is doing alot for the city, but when it'll be all over(let's say 5 years from now) I'll be curious to see how the economy will be doing.

AS far AS Calgary is concerned, it's in a class of its own. They rely on Oil for the booms. It's not like they did anything spectacular. Dump oil anywhere in teh world and the people of that region will usually benefit from it!
Montreal Metro: 3.666 million

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve81 View Post
Une simple recherche sur internet t'aurait démontré qu'il a raison...

On time, on budget: Games cheaper than expected
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

2010 Vancouver Olympics to cost less than expected
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/834267.html

justement

Cost overruns delay Olympic rink
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...8-5ca02c074bf7

Vancouver Olympic budget woes only the beginning: critics
http://www.dominionpaper.ca/canadian...ancouver_.html

bravo champion, tu sais utiliser google (mais t'est pas le seul)

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Habsfan we will see for sure. But in the past even when the first boom in Alberta ended in the eighties and the province "tanked" economically, Alberta was still ahead of the rest of Canada. This time it may be better off due to the growth of the population base of ALberta but time will tell. I agree with you regarding the Olympics in Vancouver. It may usher in an era of prosperity like the expo did for Vancouver or it may leave it with a debt legacy like Montreal.

I will give d jeffery this. Montreal is having its best growth in ages but it is still growing slower than other major cities in Canada. One only needs to look at comparing Montreal 40 years ago to Toronto and then compare them today. Toronto of today is now siginifcantly larger and richer than Montreal, has a faster growing economy and population, has better infrastructure etc. Its no longer fair to compare the 2 centres in this regard but 40 years ago Montreal has the upper hand. Short term may show jumps, but long term trends have shown to favour other places in Canada over Montreal. I for one hope things will slowly change for the better but I am not holding my breath. At the end of the day I think this article is to provoke this type of discussion and if it is looked upon as construtive critisism then the article was good if not, then the message looks like it may have fallen on deaf ears.
^
Well Toronto sure did some great progress in the last 40 years while on the other hand Montreal and Quebec made some big mistakes in planning the future.....but Toronto also had a lot of help.....I mean in less than 20 years they welcomed the biggest banks in Canada (banque de Montreal, Royal Bank,) and some other big companies (Sun life).....etc....(big companies that used to be here)...some of those left because of bill 101....(I mean what a shitty reason and lack of respect that his)
that sure helps a city to get a boost in its economy...
Montreal really had some tuff times and its barely waking up right now....actually I think the city is doing much better than most people want to think, companies are actually staying here now and are even coming here instead of leaving...the municipal government is finally putting some pressure to improve infrastructure and finances.....the greater Montreal is growing fast (Laval being the fastest growing city in the province)....there's a small baby boom in the city (schools are full and they are kids everywhere....I actually cant remember seeing so many babies...).

of course where not doing as well as Alberta who has oil and Toronto who is still doing great......I wouldnt be suprise to hear after the Olympics that Vancouver has a deficit .....I mean it's usually what happens after those big events....and even Vancouver is suffering from the Alberta oil.....

the diversification in Montreal's economy is probably going to help us in the long run.....

so anyways I just wanted to say that Montreal is doing better than some want to give us credit for ......and we shouldnt feel bad when comparing to Calgary because they're just lucky to have oil.......we could have a even better economy if we had oil in our backyard....

Last edited by iamthewalrus; May 23, 2007 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 9:44 PM
BANNED

we already found oil... but we just need more of it hehehe

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
What i was talking about is that Vancouver might be on an upswing right now as all the hoopla and the enthusiasm for the olympics is doing alot for the city, but when it'll be all over(let's say 5 years from now) I'll be curious to see how the economy will be doing.
Habsfan I agreed with you with regards to Vancouver and the Olympics. I did say it could have a hangover, or it could usher in a new era of prosperity.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
AS far AS Calgary is concerned, it's in a class of its own. They rely on Oil for the booms. It's not like they did anything spectacular. Dump oil anywhere in teh world and the people of that region will usually benefit from it!
That may be the case for Calgary, but Calgary does not equal Alberta. The province is slowly growing beyond oil so while Calgary could have some problems if Oil goes to $20/ brl I doubt we will see the crash like the 80's in Edmonton.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malek View Post
we already found oil... but we just need more of it hehehe

But Malek a couple greasy bums begging for change on Ste Catherines are not the type of oil we are talking about.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
But Malek a couple greasy bums begging for change on Ste Catherines are not the type of oil we are talking about.
hahahaha

I think Quebec produces 10-20 barrels a day of oil... we need more of it damn it hehehe

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
hahahaha

I think Quebec produces 10-20 barrels a day of oil... we need more of it damn it hehehe
What the boys in Quebec City are looking to buy a few law firms now and make them crown corps or are they increasing the number of Members in the National Assessmbly?

Anyways back to the topic, saying Montreal is doing well when compared with its recent past but that does not mean it is no longer losing ground on other major Canadian cities or in the case of Toronto still losing ground on them.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscantland View Post
Et c'est ainsi qu'Habsfan et Malek tirent la chasse d'eau pour un autre troll sur le forum de SSP...

À chaque fois qu'un copain un peu naîf et agressif se pointe il faut toujours qu'ils s'organisent pour le rouler dans la farine et qu'il devienne "la joke de newfie" du forum. C'est agaçant à la fin... ... on pourrait leur laisser un petit moment de gloire, non?
Excuse moi, mais j'ai pas de leçons à prendre ni d'Habsfan ni de Malek, s'ils ne sont pas capable d'argumenter comme des gens civilisés, c'est pas mon problème, d'ailleurs, les autres ont confirmé mes propos... je suis ingénieur de formation, j'étudie pas mal juste ça des infrastructures, alors, pour le troll, on passera...

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
justement

bravo champion, tu sais utiliser google (mais t'est pas le seul)

Et toi t'as demontrer que tu savais pas lire , tes articles montre une augmentation pour des spécifités de l'ensemble des olympiques, et non pas pour le projet en général. Et ton autre article date de 2006.... alors que ceux de Steve_81 sont au moins actuels.

Last edited by p_xavier; May 23, 2007 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 11:00 PM

^
t pas le seul avec des études ici non plus....Malek et habsfan sont probablement autant si non plus informés que toi sur ce qui se passe à Montréal entre autre.pis pour les arguments on repassera, comparé Montréal plusieurs fois centenaires avec des villes comme Vancouver et Calgary qui commencent depuis peu à s'affirmer au plan international c'est un peu tirer par les cheveux..... les problèmes d'infratructures on est en train de les arrangés.....dans 100 ans tu pense pas que ces villes vont pas avoir de problèmes aussi ?....

commeje t dit plus haut ta raison sur certains point ....mais tout n'est pas noir ou blanc......

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
^
t pas le seul avec des études ici non plus....Malek et habsfan sont probablement autant si non plus informés que toi sur ce qui se passe à Montréal entre autre.pis pour les arguments on repassera, comparé Montréal plusieurs fois centenaires avec des villes comme Vancouver et Calgary qui commencent depuis peu à s'affirmer au plan international c'est un peu tirer par les cheveux..... les problèmes d'infratructures on est en train de les arrangés.....dans 100 ans tu pense pas que ces villes vont pas avoir de problèmes aussi ?....

commeje t dit plus haut ta raison sur certains point ....mais tout n'est pas noir ou blanc......
Non, sauf se faire traiter de troll parcque les gens ne veulent plus argumenter, ça je trouve ça tirer par les cheveux, et insultant. J'ai dis que pour être une grande ville comme autrefois, montréal doit mettre les bouchées doubles, pas seulement pour rattrapper, mais pour déppasser les autres villes canadiennes. Et pour ça, il faut qui est un cadre financier adapté aux réalités différentes. Montréal doit s'adapter plus vite que les autres villes, hors, ce n'est pas le cas. Comme l'article original fait mention, c'est que Montréal va à contre courant. Oui, il y a eu d'énormes améliorations à Montréal depuis 15 ans, sauf ce n'était pas ça le sujet original, c'est que les autres villes, elles AUSSI avancent, et à un pas plus rapide que Montréal. Les gens peuvent croirent que Montréal avance à un rythme effrainé, sauf ceux qui ont visité les autres villes canadiennes voient une toute autre image.

Pour que Montréal réussisse, il faut faire revenir les riches, et non pas les chasser. C'est la population la plus mobile. Et pour ceux qui vont répondre, oui, mais à Montréal ya les arts, ect... si tout ces gens déménagement dans une autre ville (ce qui est justement arrivé à Toronto), c'est que les artistes vont y déménager aussi, parcque c'est là qui est l'argent et la clientèle. Je suis extrêmement capitaliste, sauf ça change pas que c'est ça qui mène le monde et les projets, la population va suivre.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 11:54 PM
BANNED

Quand tu dis que Montréal va crever tu insultes chacun de nous au plus haut point monsieur.

Tu t'entends pas parler?

J'ai laissé passé ça au début pour permettre la discussion, mais tu continues à t'affirmer comme un troll de première classe, alors ça ne vaut pas la peine de discuter avec toi, tu vois les choses d'une façon et tu ne tiens pas à changer ta perception.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 12:07 AM
T'es peur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
(...) je suis ingénieur de formation, j'étudie pas mal juste ça des infrastructures, alors, pour le troll, on passera...
Quelqu'un peut me dire pourquoi tous les trolls finissent par dire ça? Pourquoi?

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 12:11 AM
T'es peur?

Je veux dire : "Je sais que je dis des choses énormes mais j'ai étudié... Je me jugez pas sur les textes que j'ai écrit! Jugez moi sur les études que j'ai fait... J'ai beau écrire comme un pied, parler comme un pied, penser comme un pied... j'ai, herrr, j'ai... Aye! C'est qui l'cave?!?!"

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscantland View Post
Quelqu'un peut me dire pourquoi tous les trolls finissent par dire ça? Pourquoi?
Wow, sérieusement, c'est pas fort comme réplique, l'autre qui est insulté parcque Montréal est entrain de crever, et qui peut pas prouver qui a du leadership assez fort pour renverser la situation. ET personne qui peut me réplique, à part de me traiter de troll. Bravo à tous.

Je répond comme ça parcque p-ê je trouve pas le but de votre réplique, et essayer de me donner un semblant de crédibilité, vu que vous pensez que je sais pas de quoi je parle.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 12:15 AM
T'es peur?

On ne fait pas que le penser, on l'exprime.

Félicitations pour votre bon programme...

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 1:04 AM
Daddy Likes it Dirty!

Quote:
That may be the case for Calgary, but Calgary does not equal Alberta. The province is slowly growing beyond oil so while Calgary could have some problems if Oil goes to $20/ brl I doubt we will see the crash like the 80's in Edmonton.
I know! That's why I said Calgary and not Alberta!
Montreal Metro: 3.666 million

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Quand tu dis que Montréal va crever tu insultes chacun de nous au plus haut point monsieur.

Tu t'entends pas parler?

J'ai laissé passé ça au début pour permettre la discussion, mais tu continues à t'affirmer comme un troll de première classe, alors ça ne vaut pas la peine de discuter avec toi, tu vois les choses d'une façon et tu ne tiens pas à changer ta perception.
Vous prenez ça beaucoup trop personnel. d_jeffrey a très souvent critiqué la Ville d'Ottawa a bien des égards sur ce forum et jamais il n'a eu ce genre de réactions.

Montréal a de grands défis à relever et elle n'y arrivera pas si ses habitants (je parle pas du club d'hockey) s'imaginent que tout est correct. Montréal est carrément ignorée par le gouvernement provincial (attendez de voir le budget demain, au moins il y aura des baisses d'impôts) et le système de gouvernance ne tient pas la route (fusions, défusions, arrondissement, agglomération, etc...).

Pour ce qui est de la comparaison avec d'autres villes, bien sûr les comparaisons ne sont pas parfaites, mais il reste que Montréal traine toujours en arrière depuis quelques décennies. Tant mieux si ça s'améliore, mais il faut faire plus. S'assoir sur ses lauriers n'est jamais une bonne idée. Une ville a toujours besoin de leadership.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal