HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 6:32 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Nickelback will be headling the concert.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/local-c...e-race-weekend
Clap
clap
clap

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 12:34 AM

Who needs contracts?

Quote:
The mood was apprehensive on a quickly organized Zoom call Friday with several parties concerned about the status of the Canadian E-Fest, a Formula E electric car race scheduled for Vancouver this summer.

During the course of the hour-plus conversation, concerns were raised about unpaid deposits, missed deadlines and contracts not yet executed, according to people on the call. The call included people from city hall and local organizations including suppliers and property owners. The organizers and promoters of E-Fest, a Montreal-based firm called OSS Group, were not invited.

On Monday, OSS Group missed a deadline to provide the City of Vancouver several pieces of documentation required before the city issues a permit for the event, planned for Canada Day long weekend.

After the missed deadline, OSS Group CEO Matthew Carter said everything was on track for a great event despite some “little bumps in the road” and 33,000 tickets had been sold for the weekend-long festival, which includes an outdoor Nickelback concert, business conference, and the headline car race. The city’s events office said they were providing E-Fest organizers with “reasonable leeway” to help enable the event.

This will be Vancouver’s first time holding the Formula E Championship, an electric car race series which launched in 2014 and this season includes 16 races in cities around the globe.

On Friday, Carter confirmed the expected $350,000 security deposit had been paid to the city by wire transfer, and said the remaining contracts would be signed by all parties soon. OSS — the One Stop Strategy Group — paid an earlier $150,000 deposit to the city in February.

Vancouver’s deputy city manager, Karen Levitt, was on Friday’s Zoom call, but later refused to discuss the call in detail.

Levitt, along with others interviewed for this story, expressed hope the event will be a great success. But they all also agreed the timeline is tight, with the event now 90 days away.

“We’re really close to things starting,” Levitt said. “At this point, we need everything in place to issue that permit as soon as possible. We need that for OSS’s certainty, and for all the suppliers in the industry, for their certainty, and for our own certainty.”

The city manager’s office is not typically involved in individual events, Levitt said, “and I’m working on this almost daily right now.”

“We’ve been very enthusiastically supporting the event,” she said. “We’re doing what we can, but we’re waiting for the counterparty to provide what they need to provide in order for us to do our work.”

Other key details remain to be finalized before a permit is issued. OSS does not yet have final contracts with owners of the Northeast False Creek properties they plan to use for E-Fest, including Science World, Concord Pacific, and B.C. Pavilion Corporation, which owns B.C. Place.

Carter has signed contracts for the agreements with Science World and PavCo, he said, and the contracts are “in the queue” to be countersigned by the other parties.

PavCo spokeswoman Meaghan Benmore said by email: “There are outstanding conditions that have not been met and therefore the contract is not fully executed at this time.”

Science World CEO Tracy Redies said: “We are working with the organizer and are in final stages but do not have a fully executed agreement yet.”

Concord Pacific spokesman Peter Udzenija said: “We have our contract given to them, they have to sign it and send it back. … It’s in their hands.”

The status of OSS Group’s partnerships with other local entities has recently caused some confusion and concern.

A 26-page digital document advertising partnership and corporate hospitality opportunities at the event — including a “pit lane private hospitality suite” at $3,000 a guest with a minimum of 50 guests — was recently circulating. One page features logos of several local business associations, saying: “We have been able to get the support of each of these organizations.”

The Vancouver Economic Commission expressed surprise when Postmedia News asked them this week about their appearance in the E-Fest promotional package listed under the “local support” page.

The version of the Economic Commission’s logo in the E-Fest document was nearly two years old, the VEC wrote in an emailed statement this week, adding they were “not aware of any logo, old or new” being used in a recent Formula E package, and they planned to contact the organizers.

“Beyond anything, as a not-for-profit agency of the City of Vancouver, we are sensitive to having our logo used for purposes like fundraising,” the VEC statement said.

Representatives of the New Car Dealers Association of B.C. and the Vancouver International Auto Show were surprised and apparently unhappy to see their logos included on that page.

“We’re disappointed that event organizers would use our logos and suggest we have endorsed the event,” said Blair Qualey, president and CEO of the New Car Dealers Association, which owns and manages the Vancouver Auto Show.

After learning the his group’s logos were listed in the E-Fest materials implying their support of the event, Qualey sent OSS a letter last week to “formally demand they cease and desist,” he said.

Article content
“We have made it abundantly clear to the principals of OSS that neither the New Car Dealers nor the Vancouver International Auto Show have ever endorsed their event, nor authorized the use of our logos in any materials.”

When Postmedia asked Carter last week about the New Car Dealers’ objection to being included in the promotional materials, he said he was “shocked to understand that they don’t want to be associated with the event anymore. To my mind, it’s far more beneficial for them to be associated to us than the other way around.”

But, Qualey said, “There was no endorsement ever given that could be withdrawn.”

Qualey said the New Car Dealers Association has been longtime supporters of electric vehicles, and although they are not partnered with E-Fest, he hopes it succeeds.

“Hopefully they get their challenges sorted out and they can put on a great event,” Qualey said. “It would be a good thing for Vancouver.”
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-getting-tight

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 2:07 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

hahahaha here's hoping it goes under

this is the last thing the area needs.

thx for the link.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 6:17 AM

Ouch. Doesn't sound very good based on the article. I have been hoping this would happen but would not put any money down on tickets based on current status. I'll maybe consider it on Year 2, if they manage to have a race this year.

Were they also planning on repaving the race track section, as we all know the atrocitious asphalt quality in Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 4:35 PM
Community Guy

We (about 10 folks) have been holding off for a variety of reasons, but still plan on getting tickets and attending various events.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Ouch. Doesn't sound very good based on the article. I have been hoping this would happen but would not put any money down on tickets based on current status. I'll maybe consider it on Year 2, if they manage to have a race this year.

Were they also planning on repaving the race track section, as we all know the atrocitious asphalt quality in Vancouver.
I doubt they'll repave it. Maybe just seal down the manholes/patch any bad sections. I was wondering the same thing but Pacific Blvd still seems to be in good shape. Not sure how they plan to cut through the parking lot through the presentation centre area.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 6:53 PM

Why Nickelback? Maybe if there was a Diesel Days in Red Deer but not electric cars in Vancouver. I'm thinking electronic dance music would be more appropriate.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 7:15 PM

They expect people to pay $2500 for the conference and they still haven't released a full schedule about this amazing business conference.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Why Nickelback? Maybe if there was a Diesel Days in Red Deer but not electric cars in Vancouver. I'm thinking electronic dance music would be more appropriate.
I was thinking new age music, powered by elf tears and unicorn farts.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I was thinking new age music, powered by elf tears and unicorn farts.
I am So There!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
We (about 10 folks) have been holding off for a variety of reasons, but still plan on getting tickets and attending various events.
In the same boat. Wanted to take the family to witness a car race in Vancouver (kids were too young or not born last time the race happened). But then I saw Nickleback and lost interest in going, just thinking about what kind of people would be in the stands around me...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 2:45 AM

What exactly is Nickelback's audience anyhow? AFAIK it's mostly less-worldly Grade 9 students, Billboard 500 groupies, bar & grill patrons and the one couple who won the radio show quiz.

Last edited by Migrant_Coconut; Apr 4, 2022 at 3:06 AM. Reason: Forgot the bar and grill patrons

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 2:55 AM
Community Guy

Nickleback was a very poor choice for a contemporary/tech event/crowd.

Daft Punk would have been cool.

Imagine Dragons maybe.

Post Malone if they could afford him.

Hell, Tate McRae ft. Brian Adams even.

When we were in Mexico City this Nov we had DJ Kygo and it was a PARTY.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
hahahaha here's hoping it goes under

this is the last thing the area needs.

thx for the link.
Huh? Why?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 4:31 PM

I bought GA tickets to check it out. Should be fun and something different. Formula E is fairly well run around the world, it seems like the bozos from Montreal don't know what they are going. Too bad they couldn't find local event management.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I bought GA tickets to check it out. Should be fun and something different. Formula E is fairly well run around the world, it seems like the bozos from Montreal don't know what they are going. Too bad they couldn't find local event management.
Seems like they had people involved with Formula 1 and IndyCar so it seems probably more to do with the financials.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Seems like they had people involved with Formula 1 and IndyCar so it seems probably more to do with the financials.
But tickets are selling well, better than expected. They shouldn't have problems with signing contracts and making payments. It seems more about the agreements than anything, they have put up the money, if a bit late (sloppy).

Lack of organization...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Nickleback was a very poor choice for a contemporary/tech event/crowd.

Daft Punk would have been cool.

Imagine Dragons maybe.

Post Malone if they could afford him.

Hell, Tate McRae ft. Brian Adams even.

When we were in Mexico City this Nov we had DJ Kygo and it was a PARTY.
Daft Punk retired and they don't seem to be the type of guys who'd come out of retirement even if Formula 1 itself was doing a race at an inaugural Paris Grand Prix.

Nickelback, no argument, is an absolutely terrible choice. They'd be bad even for the CFL.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 12:07 AM

there was another article that said they have sold more tickets than expected.

30,000 tickets sold for Vancouver Formula E event 100 days out, organizers say
Organizers plan to build E-Fest into "a staple event" on Vancouver's annual calendar. But lots of work remains before the checkered flag flies.

Author of the article: Dan Fumano
Publishing date: Mar 23, 2022 • March 23, 2022

Quote:
“I just got off a call with Formula E earlier this morning, and they can’t believe we have this many tickets sold with still three months to go” said Anne Roy, a co-founder and partner of One Stop Strategy Group, or OSS, the company promoting and organizing E-Fest. “All their other races, the tickets get sold at the last minute.”

Reached Wednesday in Montreal, 101 days before race day, Roy said more than 30,000 tickets have been sold. Suites were “almost sold out,” she said, “so we might have to build extra hospitality suites.”
Quote:
Vancouver confirmed this week that the city and event organizers signed a “host city agreement” in February. The city’s special events department hasn’t yet issued a permit for the race or any of its components including the Nickelback concert, the city confirmed, but would look to issue a permit after the organizers submit several planning documents, including a safety and security plan, a traffic management plan, community benefits agreement and outdoor concert licensing. Contractually, those and other documents are due by 95 days before the event, which is Monday, March 28, the city said.
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...organizers-say

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
there was another article that said they have sold more tickets than expected.

30,000 tickets sold for Vancouver Formula E event 100 days out, organizers say
Organizers plan to build E-Fest into "a staple event" on Vancouver's annual calendar. But lots of work remains before the checkered flag flies.
Compared to other Formula E events. And it's not unusual for motorsport promoters to carpet bomb free tickets to sponsors etc versus paid fans.

Vancouver Indy's final race in 2004 had 63K on the race day for comparison.

They said they'll have capacity for 56K spectators for this race.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation