HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
This focus on density is strange. A gridded street network is many magnitudes more important to sustainability and urbanity than having houses narrower and closer together. The curlicue development patterns of the modern Prairie suburbs are not too great a model to follow.
maybe they have small backyards cause they don't have backyard pools.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 3:07 AM

Where Airdrie is still a grid setup the yards are mostly large. Actual properties are 25'x120' for the most part but some are close to 170' deep in one area. Most those properties are also at least 50' wide so that part does have big bag yards lol.

I know of one property in that area that is 175'x120'. Looks like 2 houses on the property but the second is just his garage.

Airdries growth was much to low in the early years to have had the grid grow out more than the village area. Now a days we get a couple new subdivisions every few years. This year alone I think there will be 3-5 new ones starting development. No grid layout but houses you can touch on both sides and no fire resistant materials between them!

Here is that property,

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.29142...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 4:52 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Yep. Up until amalgamation in 1998.

It was actually quite common in Ontario for there to be X township surrounding X city/town/village. Kingston was the largest city like this AFAIK but there were quite a few smaller towns like this.. to the point where it was actually the norm to have at least one or two in most rural counties. Usually it started off as a village being founded based on the name of the township it's in, then the village grows and becomes incorporated. Examples in Eastern Ontario are Alfred, Winchester, Finch, Plantagenet, Hawkesbury, and Lanark. All of these examples ceased to be with municipal fusions in the late 1990s.
Hawkesbury had East Hawkesbury and West Hawkesbury townships. East Hawkesbury still exists but West Hawkesbury merged with a few other municipalities and is now known as Champlain.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hawkesbury had East Hawkesbury and West Hawkesbury townships. East Hawkesbury still exists but West Hawkesbury merged with a few other municipalities and is now known as Champlain.
Hawkesbury was a split township. At some point in the past East Hawkesbury and West Hawkesbury were a single Hawkesbury Township. Plantagenet was in a similar point; there was a North and a South. Other split townships around Eastern Ontario included Gower and Burgess. Around the thousand islands there were a few that were split north south, but were called "Rear" and "Front" instead of north and south, based on being on the water or being away from the water.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 8:25 PM

I remember when I was younger and I was travelling through eastern Ontario. I kept seeing the names of places, villages and towns on highway signs, but I couldn't ever find them into the official municipalities list. Thanks to internet and Wikipedia and Google Maps, I now understand where these places are located. But it's still very confusing. Hence the reason why I love the population centres list.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YannickTO View Post
I remember when I was younger and I was travelling through eastern Ontario. I kept seeing the names of places, villages and towns on highway signs, but I couldn't ever find them into the official municipalities list. Thanks to internet and Wikipedia and Google Maps, I now understand where these places are located. But it's still very confusing. Hence the reason why I love the population centres list.
Since 1998, the place names and municipality names of rural Ontario pretty much never match up anymore.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada