HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 2:18 PM

Subject of Planning Committee today, with Gower as acting chair and Leiper as acting vice-chair.

Here's a rendering I haven't seen before:

https://twitter.com/KatePorterCBC/st...66312052510735

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 3:08 PM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Subject of Planning Committee today, with Gower as acting chair and Leiper as acting vice-chair.

Here's a rendering I haven't seen before:

https://twitter.com/KatePorterCBC/st...66312052510735
Looks awful from this view. Towers aside, it does not seem to me to integrate itself well into the existing milieu.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Kate Porter
@KatePorterCBC

Now, the Main+Main development at Montreal Road and the Rideau River.
- three buildings: 22, 28 and 32 storeys
- 1,013 units when fully built out
- 847 below-grade parking stalls
- 517 bicycle parking stalls

The Vanier Community Association welcomes the redevelopment. #ottnews

10:58 AM · Jun 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

That's approved. Coun. Fleury says the businesses in the 70s strip mall have relocated. He's excited for Vanier for this gateway project, and the range of unit sizes in it.
https://twitter.com/KatePorterCBC/st...77151732224007

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBuoy View Post
Looks awful from this view. Towers aside, it does not seem to me to integrate itself well into the existing milieu.
Agreed. The towers are okay, but the podium doesn't fit well with the area.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBuoy View Post
And what exactly in the surrounding area is worth taking inspiration from and integrating in the design? The facades on Montreal road are a collection of mismatched ugly building with ZERO Heritage attribute and 3 gas station.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 9:20 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Trio of towers approved for 'gateway' to Vanier
Towers would house more than 1,000 residential units with commercial on lower floors

Kate Porter · CBC News
Posted: Jun 24, 2021 4:22 PM ET | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

Instead of an aging strip mall, people who cross the Cummings Bridge into Ottawa's Vanier area could soon be greeted by three towers.

Planning committee on Thursday approved buildings of 22, 28 and 32 storeys on Montreal Road with a total of more than 1,000 residential units, as well as commercial space on their lower floors.

There would be 847 underground parking spaces and 517 bicycle parking spots, according to the project from ML Devco Inc. and Main and Main.

Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury said businesses previously located at the Eastview Shopping Centre have already moved to another spot within Vanier.

"I'm excited for Vanier, I'm excited for the main street, and I'm excited for residents that will be able to move in and live in such a central location," said Fleury.

The Vanier Community Association also supports the project and worked with the developer over the past year and a half.

Chris Greenshields noted there are many developments planned for Vanier that promise change, and should bring thousands of residents to the area, including another project with four buildings and 871 units nearby on the site of a former inn.

The community group also agreed on the site for a new park at Montgomery and Selkirk streets, and new public art will be installed as part of the city's major reconstruction of Montreal Road.

The rezoning and official plan changes for the towers go to city council for final approval July 7, along with other files approved Thursday. Those include a new nine-storey building at the intersection of Richmond Road and Churchill Avenue in Westboro, and an eight-storey supportive housing project by the Shepherds of Good Hope.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...eway-1.6078990

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
And what exactly in the surrounding area is worth taking inspiration from and integrating in the design? The facades on Montreal road are a collection of mismatched ugly building with ZERO Heritage attribute and 3 gas station.
The podium looks like a parking garage when you're approaching from the Cummings Bridge. It's partly the colour of the brick that doesn't work for me. And the design. Main + Main has shown that they're capable of beautiful looking projects. This is underwhelming. Doesn't look like something that belongs on a main street, especially at a gateway intersection.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 11:17 PM

It all comes down to execution, but I don't mind a two story podium coming straight to the street and creating a decent frontage on a main street. If the materials are decent, it will look good. If it's built cheap and they buy from wherever it is that claridge gets their cladding remnants from, it'll look awful.
--Between build-and-run developers, budget-conscious planning departments, reactionary community associations and their city councillors, and the unaccountable OMB, we have more than enough bad actors sharing more than enough pathologies and perverse incentives.-David Reevely--

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
The podium looks like a parking garage when you're approaching from the Cummings Bridge. It's partly the colour of the brick that doesn't work for me. And the design. Main + Main has shown that they're capable of beautiful looking projects. This is underwhelming. Doesn't look like something that belongs on a main street, especially at a gateway intersection.
Exactly what I was thinking - it looks exactly like a parking garage from that angle. No problem with the towers, but that podium has to change.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 1:32 PM

Agreed, but it's just perception at this point. If it actually was an above-ground parking garage I could see the outrage, but it's actually street-front retail and a second floor amenity rooftop, both of which are welcomed addition to this part of town.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 3:31 PM

LOl I was sure that podium was a parking lot!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
LOl I was sure that podium was a parking lot!
Its interior is, in-fact, partially a parking lot, but the exterior of the podium surrounding the parking will have retail and amenities.

Ground floor:

Mezzanine:

2nd floor:

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
What's the problem?
It will be one of the more walkable areas of the city (current walk score of 78, and this development will only improve that), so why prioritize cars over pedestrians in the development?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 7:06 AM

The podium certainly leaves a bit to be desired in design and function, but I can understand the layout. The road in the middle of the site removes parking and receiving bays from the streets. It makes for a safer pedestrian environment. It also provides a mid-block connection for all users, which is needed for such a huge development. The above grade parking is likely due to the flood risks in the area and poor soil conditions.

Wrapping the retail around the parking function does a lot to mitigate negative impacts. It ensures active frontage along the most prominent streets.

Sue, I would like a design that better breaks-up the retail units and presents a better face towards the Cummings Bridge. More height would also be beneficial. That said, I don't see why this is seen as so much of a car-oriented design consider the likely retrains they have to work with.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 10:40 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Site Plan Control Submission:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0123/details

Master Siteplan:

Phase 1 Siteplan:

Phase 1 Renderings:

Landscape renderings:

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 11:45 PM

The podium looks better from the Montgomery and Driveway sides than the Montreal Road and North River side in my opinion. But the second floor terrace is nice. Overall, not very excited about this one.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 12:44 PM

I agree, the podium has improved. I would like a change in the brick colour to a... colour.

I don't like the three entrances to the parking lot/garage.

Overall, it's a decent proposal by Ottawa standards, but there's still a lot that could have been improved.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:43 PM

I actually really like the podium, and I really like the towers as well, I just don't like them together -- they don't match. Here's to hoping the finished product will look better than the renders...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 7:16 PM
National Capital Region

Equiton acquires 75% stake in 3-tower Ottawa development
https://renx.ca/equiton-acquires-75-...a-development/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 7:23 PM

From the article

Quote:
Zoning is in place for the development, an Equiton spokesperson told RENX, and construction on Phase 1 is expected to start this summer. Occupancy of the first phase is scheduled to begin in 2024.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa