HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 12:41 AM

Framework went before Design Commission yesterday. Apparently it drew strong praise from the Commissioners, though two people turned up in opposition, and presented the grossest objections possible. From the DJC ($):

Quote:
Two citizens called the Framework project “offensive” to the surrounding brick and urban warehouse character of the Pearl. Mark Whitlow, a neighbor and land-use attorney, said he represented other opponents who believe the project would fit better in a different part of town.

“We’re mixing apples and oranges in the design cart,” he said. “We want to be respectful, but it is just offensive for those of us who place ourselves in a neighborhood based on the character that is being eroded based on a decision at a time.”

Pearl resident and project opponent Deborah Carnaghi said her neighborhood is already overloaded with traffic and its schools are overcrowded with students.

“It is really hard with low-income housing to manage them effectively, and so making sure you’re thinking through the people who are going to be living there. If smoking is allowed by bylaws, are there ashtrays out front? Stickers in windows? Can we tint windows?”
Thankfully they're not representative of the Neighborhood Association, who wrote a letter in support of the "design and the program" of the building.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 11:40 PM

Poor Deborah Carnaghi. She did not move to the Pearl to be that close to the working class.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 12:52 AM

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 2:37 AM

What a travesty. This is clearly going to destroy the character of the Pearl District.

(/s)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 6:16 PM

"manage THEM"? there's so much about this woman's testimony that speaks (yells) to what is fundamentally wrong in the US currently. economic/racial/political divisiveness is killing our social fabric. THEM? fuck me.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 7:29 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
What a travesty. This is clearly going to destroy the character of the Pearl District.

(/s)
Yeah, lol.

This building looks like it'll fit right in with some of the best of the Pearl.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
"manage THEM"? there's so much about this woman's testimony that speaks (yells) to what is fundamentally wrong in the US currently. economic/racial/political divisiveness is killing our social fabric. THEM? fuck me.
^^^ This.

The elitism is mind boggling. She'd probably make the Pearl District a gated community if she could.

Fortunately the commission politely listens to the public, and respectfully tells them to pound sand with their decisions, when needed. They are pretty good at that.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 2:03 AM

Its like the Oregonian comment section manifesting itself.

I think this building is fantastic. I cant believe a land use lawyer sold his dignity to stand up and state such a thing as the design being offensive.

Carry on. Great addition to the neighborhood. I say that as someone who lives down the street and walks past this site (and the other 4 areas under construction) daily.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 2:05 AM

So I thought that in order to use CLT, Portland would have to revise their building codes. Has that happened already?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
So I thought that in order to use CLT, Portland would have to revise their building codes. Has that happened already?
My understanding is that the building will have to appeal to the state building codes division. There was a discussion about CLT last year in front of the building codes division, so I would hope they have worked out a way to review it with the Architect.

Essentially, they are going around the city review process for structural review.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 1:38 AM

The building permit for Carbon12 is being reviewed by the BCD - I assume the same will happen for Framework. The $1.5 million grant they received from the USDA is being used to research and demonstrate performance based compliance with the building code.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Lever Architecture's Thomas Robinson discusses today's new generation of timber-framed buildings

BY BRIAN LIBBY

This week Lever Architecture founder Thomas Robinson dropped by the Center For Architecture to speak with the Portland chapter of the American Institute of Architects' Committee on the Environment about a new generation of timber-framed buildings rising around the world, especially in Europe but increasingly in the United States. Two Lever-designed office buildings currently under construction, Albina Yard and Framework (the latter of which is not to be confused with a Works Partnership-designed building of the same name, also under construction), rely on timber framing and in particular a new generation of cross-laminated timber (CLT).

Last September, the unbuilt design for the 12-story Framework (which is developed by Project and Home Forward) building in the Pearl District won the US Department of Agriculture’s Tall Wood Building Competition, which included a $1.5 million research grant that Lever is using largely on a series of tests to prove that Framework and this kind of cross-laminated timber framing (including glulam columns, beams and ceilings) is safe and viable. The building marks the first instance of an office building using domestically fabricated CLT.

As Robinson detailed in his talk, this is an exciting turning point for timber-framed buildings, whether it's for sustainable or seismic or aesthetic reasons. In all cases, there is a compelling case for a future in which steel and concrete-framed buildings are no longer the norm. Timber framing is not a new technology, of course. It's as old as architecture itself. But the ability to build taller and more fire-safe than ever before is turning out to be a game changer.
...continues at Portland Architecture.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The building permit for Carbon12 is being reviewed by the BCD - I assume the same will happen for Framework. The $1.5 million grant they received from the USDA is being used to research and demonstrate performance based compliance with the building code.
Who is the BCD?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Who is the BCD?
BCD = State of Oregon Building Code Division

They are the state department responsible for adoption of Building Codes and such.

http://www.oregon.gov/bcd/pages/index.aspx

See there about page: http://www.oregon.gov/BCD/Pages/about-us.aspx

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:06 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

The closer this building get to becoming reality, the more I like it... and the research aspect just makes me like it more. I'm fascinated by the idea of CLT having benefits in terms of a structure withstanding an earthquake.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 11:54 PM

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:40 AM

Framework went before the Design Commission today. Listening to the last couple minutes of the audio, and it sounds like there was a request to keep the record open for 21 days, which meant the Commission couldn't vote to approve the project. The applicants will return on September 8th.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 9:42 PM

Framework was approved by the Design Commission on Thursday.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 3:21 AM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 7:08 AM

This is pretty cool—video of Brock Commons (the world's tallest CLT building) being framed:

Video Link

Will be really interesting to see Framework go up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland