HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 2:58 PM

K, here are a few.
Indy's St.Joseph is a little different, differing from two-three strory victorian homes to townhouses. Its a very interesting neighborhood with many revitilization projects occuring. The neighborhood lays on one of the city's many avenues, St.Joseph sits on Ft.Wayne avenue. (I did NOT take the pics.)

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:10 PM

Now, this is Fletcher place.
It is a historic neighborhood that sits on Virginia avenue, that heads Southeast. The neighborhood was settled by irish and some italian families.
The neighborhood has a large collection of victorian era homes.(pics not by me.)

hell, and this hoods arent even our best. Hell, and these are just a taste of these hoods.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:11 PM

DAMN, Unionstation13 just BITCH-slapped montecarloss.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:17 PM

wow...what is it about Indy that neighboring, midwestern cities are so afraid of? Is it our growth? Is it that in terms of importance Indy has leapt to the forefront in the midwest all while your little burgs have just stood there wondering what the hell happened?

Back to the photos. I have always liked that Indy's talls are concentrated. This provides for some nice "canyons" and depth that sometimes is lost when towers are spread out. Once a few towers get completed on the outskitrs (as proposed) the skyline will dramatically change.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:21 PM

Hell, Indianapolis has a massive ring around it of 19th century hoods.
I dont understand everyones bitchfits of "well, its just a bunch of 50's homes."
What the fuck happened to the late 19th century railroad boom? Just drive through central township, you will see that many of the hoods are made up of Old victorian houses, like Herron morton, cottage place, Old North, holy cross, fletcher, fountain square, St.Joseph, Chatham arch, Indiana avenue, Lockerbie, Fall creek, etc, etc.
I guess if we exclude the ring of victorian hoods and downtown, then we r a shithole.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 7:12 PM

Even worse is that the Midwester forumers gang up on Indy while lauding one another's cities at the same time. Just look at the Louisville or KC photo threads.

It is pathetic.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 7:41 PM

^ You should have seen it 3-4 years ago. It's pretty mild now compared to then. I finally learned to ignore the BS.

Last edited by bigcubfan; Apr 24, 2007 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 9:38 AM

Nice pics, I think this a good photo to show that Indy does have some good density. I think Indy's downtown is so nice that people are a bit letdown when they get outside the downtown region. Still, most of Center Township, at least the parts I have explored, has pretty decent density and older urban development.

It is true that the downtown and its skyline is a bit small in area. Like many cities its size, there are too many surface lots. Still, I think the great height and clustering of buildings can make up for it. Not every mid-sized city can "have it all." Can any one name a mid sized city with a top 10 downtown AND top 10 urban neighborhoods?

What is funny about this forum is that old housing and density is valued, whereas 95% of the country would love Indy most for the areas on the north side around the Fashion Mall on up to Carmel.

I still think Indy's greatest opportunities are getting more midrise housing density near the White River and near IUPUI. Also, continued rehabbing of the north Meridian corridor will make it a more impressive urban environment.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 9:35 PM

When driving through Indy on Michigan Rd, I noticed most of the construction is happening AWAY from downtown

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos