HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 2:25 PM

snapped yesterday

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 3:13 PM
Hammer'd

thats crazy progress for just a week.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 1:50 AM

Yay! Love these guys...and the Medical Arts building.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Would love to see that building get renovated and cleaned up some day. The interior is gorgeous, makes you feel like you've stepped inside 1930's New York. Similar style to the inside of the Empire State Building.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:24 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
They actually recently (last 4 months or so) fixed up the sign on top and got the lights turned on and working again. This picture doesn't do it justice because it was still brightish outside but they're very striking at night.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:54 PM

That's great news the sign works again. Can't wait to go for a nice warm summer walk and see it lighting up James. I love that building and the entrance on Young is quite exquisite in details.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:12 PM

Believe it or not Medical Arts is actually a bright yellow brick - it's just very dirty right now.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:31 PM

Ooooh. I would love to see it cleaned then.

I wonder if a company like Allied REIT would ever consider looking at buying properties in Hamilton? They have a few properties in Kitchener, and do nothing but excellent things to heritage properties.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:11 PM

I am not sure office rents in Hamilton are high enough to demand the kind of restoration/repositioning work Allied does. From what I can tell even Core Urban has a tough time leasing their spaces. Hardly any of their properties are fully tenanted

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I am not sure office rents in Hamilton are high enough to demand the kind of restoration/repositioning work Allied does. From what I can tell even Core Urban has a tough time leasing their spaces. Hardly any of their properties are fully tenanted
Hamilton badly needs an anchor company. A full sized office like Google, Rim, IBM, CIBC, or something with thousands of employees for smaller businesses to pull from. The city should really be trying to fill the towers of Jackson Square with companies. They also need to beef up transit to those spots or increase parking nearby. I work in an office building downtown, and walk to work, but many coworkers can't find parking, can't find monthly, and many pay daily at like $200-$250/month.

If you suggest LRT though, they'll talk about how much longer their commute will be. They don't think to take the damn thing downtown. There also should have been a Bay stop included.

Core Urban is obviously making money though, otherwise they wouldn't keep going despite having only partially tenanted buildings. I also heard that Olympia had a tenant pull out that was supposed to locate there.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Core Urban is obviously making money though, otherwise they wouldn't keep going despite having only partially tenanted buildings. I also heard that Olympia had a tenant pull out that was supposed to locate there.
Core Urban is technically three people, Steve being the face of the company. They have... other funding sources which allow them to build/acquire property (see the Sauve family and their numerous tim hortons franchises)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
That's great news the sign works again. Can't wait to go for a nice warm summer walk and see it lighting up James. I love that building and the entrance on Young is quite exquisite in details.

At the very least they should make the Pharmasave and Medical Arts Clinic change their signs. They make the building look bad, the Optician can stay though.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
The city should really be trying to fill the towers of Jackson Square with companies.
I'm a bit leery of city efforts to lure companies to locate here. It always seems to cost us when they do (Maple Leaf, Canada Bread, and others).

The city can and should make Hamilton a better place to live, especially in and around the downtown. Calm traffic, wider sidewalks, better transit, more trees, public washrooms, end parking minimums, cleaner well serviced more accessible parks and green space, to name a few obvious ones. Street side businesses would survive and thrive where now they cannot. These changes would lead to a better fiscal position for the city, with a side effect of increased livability. At some point large employers are attracted because of talent and vitality. All the city should do is clean up it's own house and get out of the way.

Merely "attracting employers" isn't possible. There needs to be something to attract them to.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Believe it or not Medical Arts is actually a bright yellow brick - it's just very dirty right now.
Wow! 90 years of grime!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 12:21 AM

Yup so is westdale high - yellow/buff brick just super dirty

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba9000 View Post
I'm a bit leery of city efforts to lure companies to locate here. It always seems to cost us when they do (Maple Leaf, Canada Bread, and others).

The city can and should make Hamilton a better place to live, especially in and around the downtown. Calm traffic, wider sidewalks, better transit, more trees, public washrooms, end parking minimums, cleaner well serviced more accessible parks and green space, to name a few obvious ones. Street side businesses would survive and thrive where now they cannot. These changes would lead to a better fiscal position for the city, with a side effect of increased livability. At some point large employers are attracted because of talent and vitality. All the city should do is clean up it's own house and get out of the way.

Merely "attracting employers" isn't possible. There needs to be something to attract them to.
I don't disagree, but it's a bit of a game of chicken and egg. You need employers to attract talented people, but you need talented people to attract employers. I agree with the things you think will improve the downtown and attract employers and people organically.

I think cities can attract employers, but Hamilton is so shite at it.

With regard to the yellow brick that is dirty, I kind of like the dirtier look. I know many prefer perfectly pristine brick, but I've always loved the soot covered red and yellow brick. Gives it texture you can't get artificially.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba9000 View Post

Well put and I completely agree. The city should focus on revitalizing the core and once the demographic is grown and shifts slightly businesses will follow.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimetoomany View Post
Well put and I completely agree. The city should focus on revitalizing the core and once the demographic is grown and shifts slightly businesses will follow.
I agree, it's not the city's responsibility to attract businesses directly. The best thing the city can do is improve the look and feel of the city, approve developments, and the rest will follow.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:26 PM

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:35 PM

Nice!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton