HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:03 PM

They really couldn't get rid of those 4 parking spaces to bring in more landscaping?? Inviting cars/delivery trucks into the middle of the site just for four spaces? Make the site greener, those need to go.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 1:24 PM

At least they are tucked-in behind, out of sight? It would be better if they had this in the underground parking. The Kavanaugh has a retail parking under the building just before the residents' entrance which is pretty well done.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:32 PM

I prefer the old rendering and the older height. The height drop is stupid, this is no way a landmark at 30 floors and 99m lmao.

What a joke of a claim, the Metropole is almost a whopping 10m taller and that isn't even considered a landmark. This should've easily been 40floors and they should've asked for a height increase, not go down in height and change the design to something lower.

Ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
I prefer the old rendering and the older height. The height drop is stupid, this is no way a landmark at 30 floors and 99m lmao.

What a joke of a claim, the Metropole is almost a whopping 10m taller and that isn't even considered a landmark. This should've easily been 40floors and they should've asked for a height increase, not go down in height and change the design to something lower.

Ridiculous.
I guffawed at the original height as well, thinking it was far too short to be a 'landmark' and shouldn't get an exception to the Centretown CDP. Now look. Ottawa never ceases to not amaze...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 5:46 PM

Haven't watched it yet, considered by Heritage Commitee today.

Video Link

Edit: such a fantastic proposal. Absolutly love what they are planning for the podium, landscaping and heritage preservation. Tower set-backs are good. This is no Rideau.

Someone asked about the second heritage in the proposal that seems separate. It will be retained and restored, but it's ultimate use has not been determined, while the stucco Noffke (Ogilvy) house will retail.

2000 sqrt of space in the podium will be reserved for unarmed community use.

Troster suggesting that the community is much happier with this design, so I have high hopes.

Developer in talks with CMHC to implement some below market units.

Leiper loving the architecture and asked about tools to ensure the design is maintained. He knows we've been burnt n nany times (Icon).

No vote today, just an update on the project.

Last edited by J.OT13; Apr 11, 2023 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 6:39 PM

The fact that this development is wasting time to be considered "landmark" is so annoying. Nothing is landmark about this. It's under 100m, and the design isn't really innovative. What a bait and switch. I went from being excited for this development to seeing this as a real wasted potential. This does nothing to make the status quo change or help create anything defining. Might as well be a shitty 27 floor cheap-o tower going up. Such an annoying project.

Last edited by originalmuffins; Apr 11, 2023 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 7:15 PM

Without watching 2:36:42 of video, let me guess why 'Troster suggesting that the community is much happier with this design, so I have high hopes.'. Something do do with dropping it from 34 to 30 floors?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 8:29 PM

Quote:
The fact that this development is wasting time to be considered "landmark" is so annoying. Nothing is landmark about this. It's under 100m, and the design isn't really innovative. What a bait and switch. I went from being excited for this development to seeing this as a real wasted potential. This does nothing to make the status quo change or help create anything defining. Might as well be a shitty 27 floor cheap-o tower going up. Such an annoying project.
I agree it's not an actual "landmark", and I'm also disappointed it dropped from 34 to 30, but this is still a really well designed, we'll thought out project. If they need to call this "landmark" to get approval, from 18 to 30 (from 27 which is the allowed "landmark" height), then so be it. I'm more concerned about the street level design and public spaces, and this project certainly has a lot going for it, far more than anything else proposed in recent memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Without watching 2:36:42 of video, let me guess why 'Troster suggesting that the community is much happier with this design, so I have high hopes.'. Something do do with dropping it from 34 to 30 floors?
No one actually mentionned the height reduction. One member did ask the current zoning compared to what they want, which is irrelevant to the Heritage Commitee.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 8:49 PM

I'm surprised. I'm glad to hear you appreciate the project after watching the presentation, that's good enough for me!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Taggart Group floats plan to replace historic Kent Street office building with 30-storey tower

David Sali, OBJ
April 17, 2023 | 1:32 PM ET

Ottawa-based real estate company says it does not intend to redevelop the property, which it purchased about a dozen years ago, for at least another decade.

https://obj.ca/taggart-group-floats-...-storey-tower/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 3:01 PM

Another decade????!?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 3:09 PM

This project is by definition a waste of time. Waste of tax dollars trying to go for a heritage designation and waste of space for a lot like that. And now a literal waste of time.

30 floors sub 100m, and then they don't want to build it for another decade? LOL. Even Trinity isn't even this bad. Wow.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 3:26 PM

How much did they pay Hobin for two designs that will inevitably be out of date in ten years? They have wasted their own money as well.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
How much did they pay Hobin for two designs that will inevitably be out of date in ten years? They have wasted their own money as well.
And made a website prematurely.
What the hell lol, I thought Trinity couldn't be topped, but at least they didn't go this far. Holy...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 5:15 PM

Quote:
And made a website prematurely.
What the hell lol, I thought Trinity couldn't be topped, but at least they didn't go this far. Holy...
And Taggart did the clear cutting on the Tewin lands. How long will it be before anything is built there? There is also the Stella Luna thing on Wellington.Taggart does not seem to winning any local popularity contests.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 2:00 PM

website

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 2:03 PM

381 Kent

The block just south of this, 381 Kent (Kent between Gilmour and James) is now also proposed for redevelopment.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 8:13 PM

And... it's been cut down to 27 floors...

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0015/details

The Ottawafication is nearly complete. Just need to cheapen the design to a charcoal box with white trim.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
And... it's been cut down to 27 floors...

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0015/details

The Ottawafication is nearly complete. Just need to cheapen the design to a charcoal box with white trim.
You see, this kind of thing used to cause a marked uptick in my blood pressure. I'm completely numb to it now. Of course a 'landmark development' far outside of the restricted height view planes would be reduced to 27 stories last minute in Central Ottawa.

The Great Clump Marches Onwards....

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 1:10 AM

Landmark my a**.

What a crappy and utterly useless development. They really had the audacity to drop it to 34 floors to 30 and sub 100m and still call it landmark. I am not even surprised Taggart now plopped it down to 27.

I knew as soon as they were going off on that whole landmark garbage that they were going to half-ass this development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa