HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 1:16 AM

As mentioned above prep work for The Telegraph on Canterbury has begun. According to the mayor the art portraits will be taken down with the intent of finding a new home.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 10:16 PM

Update on the 6 storey mixed used building slated for the Canterbury parking garage. Photo is from Mayor Don Darling:

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 7:17 PM

The city is revisiting the Market Slip dredging project. They’ve awarded TerraEX Inc. the project. This work will require a temporary road through the beach volleyball courts for trucks to get to and from the site.

This work is being made so that the city can put in docks for recreational boaters to stop uptown. No official word on when this work is going to be done but I expect sometime this construction season.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 10:52 PM

The 8 famous Saint Johners portraits are moving locations to Ken and Holly Singh’s new building at 154 Union. (Old fire station) The building has been newly renovated to house three residential units two of which have already been rented and they’re in talks with someone for the commercial space. The paintings will be placed in the back facing a parking lot off Charlotte Street.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 8:45 PM
ハルウララ

Great sight to see.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 11:44 PM
Unregistered Loser

City Begins Market Slip Dredging
Saint John, NB, Canada / Country 94
Ben Burnett
May 11, 2020 05:45 am
City Begins Market Slip Dredging
The city has partnered with Port Saint John to clean up Market Slip. Photo courtesy the City of Saint John.

The City of Saint John and Port Saint John have partnered to dredge Market Slip uptown for the first time since 2004.

The area of the boardwalk next to the volleyball court has the capacity to hold eight docks for pleasure crafts but has been below capacity the past few years due to an excess of debris and garbage.

Work is expected to carry on through the summer, allowing the city to get back to full capacity for boaters looking to dock uptown.

Councillor Gary Sullivan says the work will allow the city to regain its identity.

“Saint John, we call ourselves the Port City. But for the last two years there hasn’t been anywhere for a pleasure craft to tie up in the port,” he said.

As part of the agreement, Port Saint John will look after maintaining Market Slip for 12 years.

Although the pandemic has dulled hopes of a busy tourism season, the city anticipates that agreement means this dredging will allow for years of improved tourist attractions uptown.

“When boats go down to market slip and are around the harbour, it brings other people down (to the area),” Sullivan said.

Sullivan is a life-long boating enthusiast who is excited by the improvement to the city’s facilities. He hopes that by improving this piece of uptown Saint John, the surrounding areas stand to benefit as well.

“It’s one more facility that helps enhance our port, it helps enhance Harbour Passage. There’s one more reason for people to support Fundy Quay,” Sullivan said. “It’s an important piece of our puzzle.”

A temporary access road has been constructed at the volleyball court area to allow trucks to transport the material for disposal. The courts will be restored once work is completed.

The area is expected to be fully functional for small boat docking in July.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:18 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I'd love ro see a picture of it on the skyline.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:48 PM

The Wentworth -the crane is up and construction for underground utilities is rapidly progressing.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:02 PM

The Telegraph - rebar and concrete work has begun. Curious as to whether or not we will see a tower crane on this site

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 11:57 AM

I see in a press release by the city that South Market St is going to be permanently closed for the next little while well demolition is done on something.

Anyone have any insight as to what they are doing?

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
I see in a press release by the city that South Market St is going to be permanently closed for the next little while well demolition is done on something.

Anyone have any insight as to what they are doing?
I believe they are working on the Bayview Credit Union building.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:39 PM

Fundy Quay talks gain new life with federal COVID-19 funding offer

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ield-1.5587264

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 8:31 PM

On Friday and Saturday the crane at The Telegraph will be dismantled and a larger crane will take its place for 8-10 weeks

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 8:31 PM

Newsletter for The Telegraph from Develop Saint John

Quote:
The Telegraph will hit another significant milestone this week as the first crane is moved off-site and a new, larger crane takes its place.

It is anticipated that this new crane will be moved into place this coming Friday and Saturday, and will be positioned on Canterbury Street, still allowing for the slow flow of traffic on this street.

This larger crane will remain in place on Canterbury Street for the next 8-10 weeks.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
Newsletter for The Telegraph from Develop Saint John
The closure of Canterbury will now be extended until late Sunday. Installation begins Friday.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 9:02 PM
ハルウララ

If it's near the UNBSJ facility at 40 Charlotte then I assume it's the Paramount Theatre site. I would be very interested if UNBSJ were looking at that site along with the adjacent offices on the corner of King North & Sydney. That would be a sizable development site in a key central Uptown area and would be ideally placed for a potential Innovation District. Honestly just the thought of UNBSJ creating more of a presence in the Uptown is enough to get me excited.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:28 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The Paramount lot is a good guess. My first thought was that he might be referring to 91 King.

Redevelopment of either property would be excellent for the King's Square area. Personally I'm hoping that the combined Paramount/Dominion site gets a substantial residential component on the upper floors to drive up the area's density and increase activity in the square.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:00 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
The Paramount lot is a good guess. My first thought was that he might be referring to 91 King.

Redevelopment of either property would be excellent for the King's Square area. Personally I'm hoping that the combined Paramount/Dominion site gets a substantial residential component on the upper floors to drive up the area's density and increase activity in the square.
I hadn't even considered 91 King initially but that would also be a good bet. I agree that a residential component should be added to the property to boost activity and density in the vicinity. We'll have a few more properties online and open in the next year or so in the Uptown but adding another 150-200 residents directly onto King's Square would be fantastic.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 7:29 PM

In a Facebook video posted today MP Wayne Long said with respect to the Fundy Quay site “we are extremely close to announcing something very very significant there”.

Im guessing with the funding option where the federal government contributes 80% the provincial government is more on board. As NB looks to stimulate the private sector this project would be an ideal candidate.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 3:23 PM

Saint John Non-Profit Housing has applied for a work permit for their new 47-unit mixed-use affordable housing building The Wellington.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces