HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 8:06 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcccondor View Post
Also heard they are having complications with how to coordinate construction with maintaining access to the numerous parkaid entrances along 13th. Hotel Arts in particular has cars entering and leaving all the time.
I guess with any utility construction that could be an issue......otherwise they could just sequence it properly. People would just likely be driving on gravel for a couple days then they could frame and pour on one day.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 9:21 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I guess with any utility construction that could be an issue......otherwise they could just sequence it properly. People would just likely be driving on gravel for a couple days then they could frame and pour on one day.
concrete can't be driven on by cars the next day.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 9:51 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
concrete can't be driven on by cars the next day.
Right.......well, they could bridge it maybe? Well, this type of coordination has been done before so it shouldn't be much of a worry. It may involve finding alternate parking for people for a week.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 10:47 PM

The 6-9 months per block pace certainly is discouraging, and I honestly haven't been all that impressed with the completed segments.

I know the development is primarily aimed at beautification, but is there any plan in place to optimize the traffic controls along 13th for pedestrians and cyclists? I've walked the full length from MacLeod to 14th St, and it's a terrible corridor in its present state. The only intersection where 13th Ave has right-of-way is 6th St W (a T-intersection). There's four intersections with full traffic lights (MacLeod N/S, 4th W, 5th W) and three with activated pedestrian lights on the north side only (makes the south side a bit useless). Otherwise, you're faced with free-flowing N-S traffic at every crossing - a bit daunting with the number of drivers here that don't seem to recognize intersections without marked crosswalks as a legitimate pedestrian crossing.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 8:04 PM
Here and There

13 ave Greenway looking good. A great change to the neighborhood......wow. Part of this project is burying those tacky old above ground lines. Good Stuff

By kw5150 at 2012-06-27

By kw5150 at 2012-06-27

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 8:11 PM

Some growth of those trees and 5-10 years with a few developements (hopefully high-rises) that'll be one nice street scene. Those trees are what maples? Anyone? Ilike that kind of stuff.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 8:24 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Some growth of those trees and 5-10 years with a few developements (hopefully high-rises) that'll be one nice street scene. Those trees are what maples? Anyone? Ilike that kind of stuff.
no true maples here. I wonder if the trees are green ash?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 8:43 PM
Round Head

Looking good. We need this level of streetscape treatment all over downtown.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbownian View Post
The 6-9 months per block pace certainly is discouraging, and I honestly haven't been all that impressed with the completed segments.

I know the development is primarily aimed at beautification, but is there any plan in place to optimize the traffic controls along 13th for pedestrians and cyclists? I've walked the full length from MacLeod to 14th St, and it's a terrible corridor in its present state. The only intersection where 13th Ave has right-of-way is 6th St W (a T-intersection). There's four intersections with full traffic lights (MacLeod N/S, 4th W, 5th W) and three with activated pedestrian lights on the north side only (makes the south side a bit useless). Otherwise, you're faced with free-flowing N-S traffic at every crossing - a bit daunting with the number of drivers here that don't seem to recognize intersections without marked crosswalks as a legitimate pedestrian crossing.
I walk this stretch almost daily and I've never really had these issues. All un-controlled intersections have pretty low volumes on the N/S roads. The lights actually pretty reasonable wait times for traveling down 13th. 13th doesn't have the right of way, but I wouldn't call it a terrible route.

But your right that setting the priority for 13th would be nice, especially if they consider it a major cycling route. Traffic calming on the N/S roads would go a long way and if done with planters would add a nice touch to the project.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 9:15 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
no true maples here. I wonder if the trees are green ash?
Elm!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 9:29 PM

There are some Maple trees in Calgary, they are few and far between though. So yeah I would guess Elm or Poplar trees.

That section looks great, taken just to the south of the Esso carwash I assume?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 10:41 PM

Wooster: I agree! (You're probably stunned that comment comming from me) Somehow in new developements some of the parcel to be developed should have some green space instead of these sterile looking concrete plazas.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 4:40 AM

My street in Crescent Heights is pretty much all maples, but there are hundreds of different maples. I'm constantly pulling mini maples out all the time. We have a few Manitoba maples (they're the ones that have the helicopter seeds).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 4:04 PM
Near Generational

What an amazing achievement that will look better and better over time.

Excellent use of tax dollars.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 5:36 PM

Looking forward to this summer's construction time.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 5:39 PM
ARTchitecture

Didn't someone post last week that construction on the next phase has resumed?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Looks like they've already completed the 2nd to 4th street sw portion. They're also working on the Macleod portion, hope they extend west to at least 5th street right away and not wait until fall.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Looks like they've already completed the 2nd to 4th street sw portion. They're also working on the Macleod portion, hope they extend west to at least 5th street right away and not wait until fall.
Is there any actual plans to continue toward the West Beltline? I know that was the dream years ago when they started, but the lack of momentum and plans beyond 4th Street suggests to me they have either given up or put the rest on the backburner.

The part that is finished is super nice, I wish they just did a bit faster of a job that 1 or 2 blocks per year (I know the flood messed up last years schedule a bit). That would put the entire strip into Sunalta at a completion date of 2021....

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 7:41 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
Is there any actual plans to continue toward the West Beltline? I know that was the dream years ago when they started, but the lack of momentum and plans beyond 4th Street suggests to me they have either given up or put the rest on the backburner.

The part that is finished is super nice, I wish they just did a bit faster of a job that 1 or 2 blocks per year (I know the flood messed up last years schedule a bit). That would put the entire strip into Sunalta at a completion date of 2021....
West of 4th (or 5th) 13th is already perhaps the nicest tree line avenue in Beltline. No need for much physical intervention - perhaps some interpretive stuff related to heritage and open space - but in my view, don't fix what's not broken. Crappier corridors like 8th Street, 10th Ave, 14th St etc, need much more attention.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 7:44 PM
Editor

I walked a few of the blocks on Friday afternoon and was impressed with it. It's a nice comfortable walking area that's sunny and open for most of it. I was also impressed by how many people were using it....even east of 1st Street SW quite a few people using it.

What was totally impressive though was Central Memorial Park! Full of people and a hive of activity.....it felt like I was in Bryant Park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure