HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:40 AM

I see Bud Polhill is back. I had to re-read the article to verify that he wasn’t running for mayor - he’s running for a council seat.

He’s got to be a million years old now. Old enough to be Hazel McCallion’s father anyways.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I see Bud Polhill is back. I had to re-read the article to verify that he wasn’t running for mayor - he’s running for a council seat.

He’s got to be a million years old now. Old enough to be Hazel McCallion’s father anyways.
Hahaha, yes, he's running in my ward. The 79-year-old claims that there is still "more to do". When he lost, he blamed local members of the NDP.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 5:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

not this guy again. Maybe he needs to have council members stock up on tires from his establishment, like they did last time around.

lfp

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215861
http://lfpress.com/2015/02/23/loncon...4-c4c37e21c6cc

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 5:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
“This is still my city” Polhill said. “You’ve got to show interest in it.”
http://lfpress.com/2017/07/25/london...3-8991be3354f9

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 1:05 PM
User Registered

Looks like Mr. Cheng is under some heat already

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london...heng-1.4647623

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 2:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The harder the conservativism, the higher the crookedism.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 3:40 PM

So far Paul has one point from me with this. I need more infrastructure to get my solid vote.

http://lfpress.com/news/local-news/p...ith-developers

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:08 PM

New addition to the mayoral race

Ed Holder is throwing his hat in the London mayoral race. So far we have 3 strong contenders:

Ed
Paul C.
Paloatto

The other two do not seem competent enough to take our city to the next level.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:56 PM
User Registered

Gotta know when to hold'em, when to fold'em.

(Yes I know terrible joke but I know you liked it!)

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupcheck View Post
Ed Holder is throwing his hat in the London mayoral race. So far we have 3 strong contenders:

Ed
Paul C.
Paloatto

Ed will likely win. Despite having been associated with the Conservative party (which is why I did not vote for him when I still lived in his riding) he is well enough respected in London to garner a large number of votes.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupcheck View Post

Ed
Paul C.
Paloatto

Neither do the mentioned three. We're in trouble here.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:26 PM

Ed is certainly going to jump into the front runner position but his views on BRT and SHIFT(-F) plans will help alot of folks decide on his ranking on the ballot.

Look forward to hear his position on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Ed will likely win. Despite having been associated with the Conservative party (which is why I did not vote for him when I still lived in his riding) he is well enough respected in London to garner a large number of votes.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:01 PM

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 6:46 PM

Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserLDN View Post
I think transportation in and around London will be the biggest issue for the election.
that is the dominate conversation isn't it. i think you are correct but we should be look at other major issues as well. not to mention ethics in the office. This city used to be a destination for tech and that seems to have dies down over the last 5 years. would love to see that take off again.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rml View Post
that is the dominate conversation isn't it. i think you are correct but we should be look at other major issues as well. not to mention ethics in the office. This city used to be a destination for tech and that seems to have dies down over the last 5 years. would love to see that take off again.
The tech sector will return when London's serious transportation issues are addressed... and that will mean going ahead with BRT and possibly LRT lines later.

I say this because most workers in the tech sector are young or Millennials and they really don't want to own a car and deal with the hassles of finding and paying for parking downtown (which is already scarce and needlessly uber-expensive), nor do they want to futz around with traffic. BRT will address their needs and wants quite nicely.

Hell, I'm approaching old-geezer status and I would love to have access to speedy, reliable, comfortable, convenient and easy to use public transit that would get me into the downtown core and let me ditch the parking spot I have there.

London also needs to put itself in the vanguard of the push for high-speed rail (maybe Ford won't build it, but his successor will), because young people and Millennials don't want to drive the 401 to get to Toronto if they need to go there.

Keep pushing now, so that when HSR is formally announced and the province/feds commit to it, London will be ready to participate, not be caught flat-footed and a day-late-and-a-dollar short like it usually is when it comes to here-today-gone-tomorrow city-building opportunities that come along once in a lifetime.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 12:44 PM

It will be a tough battle ahead, people in London ON do not know how to Zipper Merge or use Round About's; it will be hard to change their mentality as they are set on stone. We need more jobs and for sure better flowing traffic.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 8:06 PM

Serious transportation issues???? Really?

Exaggeration. Making mountains out of molehills.

Compared to Toronto, London is a paradise. Can improvements be made? Of course. Eliminate the choke points in the transportation grid. Increase express buses from key nodes and key locations. Alot of redesign and rethinking on public transit can be done that doesn't require half a billion dollars.

Increasing density for residents downtown provides the homes for those so called millennial's who would work in the tech sector. Once they start having families and looking for that suburban home with the 2 car garage they will find London very affordable.

Parking wise there are over 15,000 parking spaces in the core. People who complain are moaning about not have free parking steps from their destination.

Being a frequent VIA Rail user for 30+ years the idea of HSR only makes sense if it is truly high speed. If any plan isn't proposing 300kph plus trains then it is billions wasted. Going from 120kph to 150kph is a non starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
The tech sector will return when London's serious transportation issues are addressed... and that will mean going ahead with BRT and possibly LRT lines later.

I say this because most workers in the tech sector are young or Millennials and they really don't want to own a car and deal with the hassles of finding and paying for parking downtown (which is already scarce and needlessly uber-expensive), nor do they want to futz around with traffic. BRT will address their needs and wants quite nicely.

Hell, I'm approaching old-geezer status and I would love to have access to speedy, reliable, comfortable, convenient and easy to use public transit that would get me into the downtown core and let me ditch the parking spot I have there.

London also needs to put itself in the vanguard of the push for high-speed rail (maybe Ford won't build it, but his successor will), because young people and Millennials don't want to drive the 401 to get to Toronto if they need to go there.

Keep pushing now, so that when HSR is formally announced and the province/feds commit to it, London will be ready to participate, not be caught flat-footed and a day-late-and-a-dollar short like it usually is when it comes to here-today-gone-tomorrow city-building opportunities that come along once in a lifetime.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 9:32 PM

London Tech sector continues to grow and do well.

https://lfpress.com/business/local-b...downtown-sites

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Serious transportation issues???? Really?

Exaggeration. Making mountains out of molehills.

Compared to Toronto, London is a paradise. Can improvements be made? Of course. Eliminate the choke points in the transportation grid. Increase express buses from key nodes and key locations. Alot of redesign and rethinking on public transit can be done that doesn't require half a billion dollars.

Increasing density for residents downtown provides the homes for those so called millennial's who would work in the tech sector. Once they start having families and looking for that suburban home with the 2 car garage they will find London very affordable.

Parking wise there are over 15,000 parking spaces in the core. People who complain are moaning about not have free parking steps from their destination.

Being a frequent VIA Rail user for 30+ years the idea of HSR only makes sense if it is truly high speed. If any plan isn't proposing 300kph plus trains then it is billions wasted. Going from 120kph to 150kph is a non starter.
I feel like half the transportation issue is London drivers themselves. I drive daily for my job and it's frustrating as hell getting through London, I find Toronto much more easier actually. Main problem is speed, too many people going slow, can't accelerate fast enough, cutting through 3 lanes because they don't know where they're going, getting cut off multiple times. Traffic congestion would not be an issue if everyone actually drove 10 over the limit like you're supposed to, and planning your route beforehand.

On that note, If we are going to spend half a billion on something, I would rather see one of the candidates offer an LRT instead. I just feel by the time we actually get BRT running (if we do), it will be outdated.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:34 PM
User Registered

I'll just leave this here

My Simcity Stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy