HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 4:38 PM

Most of those pizza places are primarily takeout and delivery so it makes sense to have them somewhat central on the northside.

Ultimately it would be great to see that piece of land redeveloped to fit in with the Main Street plan. It's the perfect candidate for a larger scale mixed development.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Most of those pizza places are primarily takeout and delivery so it makes sense to have them somewhat central on the northside.

Ultimately it would be great to see that piece of land redeveloped to fit in with the Main Street plan. It's the perfect candidate for a larger scale mixed development.
Yeah, that's the other thing that occured to me after my other posts; Of those 4 pizza joints, they might have 2 chairs and 1 table between them all. (Papa Johns has a couple of seats I think; and Dominos might have one or two, but Ceasars and I think Pizza Hut are seatless). So in that respect, they're just sharing the same delivery/pickup range which is more flexible in general.

The rest of the northside pizza places all have seating and are quite spread apart for what it's worth.

Ultimately, I just want that minimall updated. With Canadian Tire and the Jean Coutu plaza updated, it is now the worst looking by far minimall on the North side. Update the look would do wonders for its desirability and the neighbourhood in general. (Especially with the new building going up next to Shoppers)

Possible, off the cuff idea: Chop the minimall in two:

Extend the front part along the street, maybe with a couple of floors worth of apartments, and an archway-like entrance in the middle.

Move/rebuild the back half similarly, with parking in between the two halves. Market it as "The courtyard" and try to be luring in smaller businesses; move Red Lantern Pub upstairs and have similar pubs and boutiques in both halves. (Maybe leave the bank in the back half so there's steady traffic into the courtyard).

There probably isn't enough room (especially for apartment parking on top of retail parking); but it would certainly update the look of that area.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 4:59 PM

Your dreams Taeolas of turning Main st into a mini down town are slowly going by the wayside. Its going and becoming another Prospect st. We all want great things to happen but unless you're the one that wants to invest then we have to take what we can get.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
Your dreams Taeolas of turning Main st into a mini down town are slowly going by the wayside. Its going and becoming another Prospect st. We all want great things to happen but unless you're the one that wants to invest then we have to take what we can get.
How do you figure? The Main Street plan is very solid and we already have one building under construction that follows it - in fact, it is almost identical to one of the case studies in the plan.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 5:36 PM

Quote:
How do you figure? The Main Street plan is very solid and we already have one building under construction that follows it - in fact, it is almost identical to one of the case studies in the plan.
Just look at every business that has been opened. Doesn't resemble any down town ive been in.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 11:45 PM

Far as pizza goes, Fadi's is also there, and Tony Pepperoni is down the street on Brookside. That is quite a lot of pizza, even with delivery/takeout being able to reach a lot of people from Main Street. It is nice to have a lot of options to choose from (especially with Trailway also right there), but I'm not sure there's enough business for that many of them. Guess we'll see.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 2:33 AM

Looks like the store is being set up fast. The signage was lit up tonight, and looks like the inside is almost complete. From what I could tell (I didn't stop) it looks like it has some booth seating inside, which is more than their southside location has. I'd say they're a week or two from opening up.

*Edit* Correction, they are open now. First day was today, (Saturday). Grabbed lunch/dinner on the way home. Store is nice looking overall; twice the size of the Southside location with seating for about 20 people or so I'd say. Not quite a full restaurant experience, but still enough room that if you do want to munch on a few slices before you leave, you can.

Last edited by Taeolas; Jul 30, 2016 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 1:40 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Looks like the store is being set up fast. The signage was lit up tonight, and looks like the inside is almost complete. From what I could tell (I didn't stop) it looks like it has some booth seating inside, which is more than their southside location has. I'd say they're a week or two from opening up.

*Edit* Correction, they are open now. First day was today, (Saturday). Grabbed lunch/dinner on the way home. Store is nice looking overall; twice the size of the Southside location with seating for about 20 people or so I'd say. Not quite a full restaurant experience, but still enough room that if you do want to munch on a few slices before you leave, you can.
Yup its open I stopped in there on Sunday since I saw the signs up. Their staff was not really trained and tried to charge me more for the 9.99 large take out special. I know after some time they will be used to it and be in full swing. Good pizza nice and clean inside and I liked the sign they had so you know when your pizza was ready.

Last edited by trev71; Aug 1, 2016 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 5:49 PM

Some very visible progress on the Regent Street overpass in the last few days, as there's structural beams up for the bridge. Sure was nice to see that, as it's a really obvious sign of progress.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
Some very visible progress on the Regent Street overpass in the last few days, as there's structural beams up for the bridge. Sure was nice to see that, as it's a really obvious sign of progress.
yeah, I noticed some of the first girders were up last week. A couple of weeks ago the DOT speaker mentioned they were a hair behind schedule due to the heat, but were catching up and we'd start seeing the first girders going up around now/last week.

Still a long way to go, but just seeing something spanning the gap is a good sign the end is in sight.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 1:44 AM

Overpass is 1 week behind sked due to heat. Province will now add a 2nd shift overnight beginning this week to put project back on track for completion the end of the month as originally stated

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 1:18 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Overpass is 1 week behind sked due to heat. Province will now add a 2nd shift overnight beginning this week to put project back on track for completion the end of the month as originally stated
Its either raining or too hot. Always can excuse.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Its either raining or too hot. Always can excuse.
Well rain and heat are totally valid excuses, no need to be upset about it if they're getting back on schedule.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 4:47 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Well rain and heat are totally valid excuses, no need to be upset about it if they're getting back on schedule.
Of course they are valid. I am in a Manager field trust me I have heard every excuse in the book.

I'll save them for knoxfordguy get together party hes having. We still having it at DOMINOS Northside ?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 10:54 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Oh you hahaha

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 12:59 AM

PAC plans show plans for former CT on Main. This should pretty much finish off this renewal

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygov...sources/B2.pdf

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
PAC plans show plans for former CT on Main. This should pretty much finish off this renewal

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygov...sources/B2.pdf
Presumably this is the new Avalon location, meaning they won't be getting a new building on Two Nations.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Presumably this is the new Avalon location, meaning they won't be getting a new building on Two Nations.
yep

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
Just look at every business that has been opened. Doesn't resemble any down town ive been in.
Those businesses have all opened in existing buildings, with the exception of the Pita Pit/Little Caesars eyesore that was started before the Main Street plan was complete.

Presumably any further new development will have to follow the plan, and the first two proposed buildings – the one currently under construction and the proposed building besides Wendy's – adhere to the plan, with minimal setback from the street and ground floor commercial/retail with residential above.

I think that saying Main Street is becoming Prospect Street is incorrect; it already is Prospect Street, just on a smaller scale. It does however have the potential to transform itself over the next couple of decades.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 12:38 PM

Construction at Maple & Ring Road this morning, no left turns there today. Should make life interesting for the bus drivers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces