HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
In Tennis's photo of the triangle building on Howard and St. Joseph, the building directly to the east, across the parking lot, looks like it has a boat on the roof.

I checked Google maps, and it wasn't there.

Does anyone know what the building is, and why there was a boat on the roof?
http://blog.nola.com/dougmaccash/200...drini_put.html

If you do the Google street view, you can see the tip hanging over the edge.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
I don't have too much to add right now, though I would love to see a road diet on Vets and/or bus only lanes and a cycletrack. As polemic said, I am not going to hold my breath :0
JeT and Jefferson Parish are working with the RPC on a feasibility study for BRT on Vets. Apparently John Young really wants it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 8:49 PM
-

733 St Joseph St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: SY4R0V
Download (3) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Stacy Haren
Application Review
Date Filed:
10/21/2013 3:19:34 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation of a stand-alone single story building with an office a space and a warehouse space for use as a cross training facility for Iron Tribe Fitness with a training area, offices, one Storage/Break Room, and two locker rooms.

1109 Royal St Suite A·Change of Use ·Ref Code: NGZ1YC
Download (1) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
JOEY LUPO
Application Review
Date Filed:
11/25/2013 2:18:27 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant, non-conforming space into a non-conforming Art Gallery as per plans.

Kingsley House Taylor Campus:

1035 Tchoupitoulas Street Apartments:

Pontchartain Housing Corporate Headquarters Phase 1:

Launch Pad Co-Founders Announce ArtWorks Building Plans

The co-founders of Launch Pad and their financial backers are getting in on the Louisiana ArtWorks Building bidding game. Their plans for the Lee Circle-area 93,000-square foot art complex that never came to be? "Co-working space, maker space, artist studios, public presentation of arts, large-scale event space, and a restaurant." Launch Pad co-founder, Chris Schultz, told Curbed NOLA that they want to "remain true to the original ArtWorks vision" while incorporating Launch Pad's collaborative workspace and entrepreneurial business model. "Vibrant creative space in an arts-driven building aligns with where New Orleans is headed," Schultz said. "The people that are moving here are people who want to live and work downtown, they don't have cars. This is not a service-based or tourism-based economy. It's a new economy built by our creators and artists. That's who's going to be in the building, renting space."

http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2013...e-hub.php#more

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 10:05 PM
TL;DR

Tchoupitoulas building looks badass!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 3:46 PM
-

Thought this was a pretty picture of the city:

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Tchoupitoulas building looks badass!
Developer is Joshua Bruno, who I must say I don't think I have heard of before. http://www.brunoinc.com/Home.php

He apparently did a green wall covered shopping center renovation on Vets: http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index...pid=nwsltrhead

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
Developer is Joshua Bruno, who I must say I don't think I have heard of before. http://www.brunoinc.com/Home.php

He apparently did a green wall covered shopping center renovation on Vets: http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index...pid=nwsltrhead
Explains the focus on the living walls on the side of the building. He seems to really like that.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 11:06 PM
life is good

Developer applies for permits at 1031 Canal
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...at-1031-canal/
Quote:
More than two years after Praveen Kailas won a hard-fought battle to gain city approval for a $70 million mixed-use renovation of the former Woolworth’s building on Canal Street, the project appears to finally be moving forward, even with its lead developer facing a prison sentence.
Building owner 1031 Canal LLC, which is managed by Praveen’s father, Mohan Kailas, recently applied for two building permits totaling $41 million for a 17-story apartment and retail complex....

The construction documents are under review by the Department of Safety and Permits, according to the city...

The project will include 240 apartment units in the top 10 floors with penthouses on the top two levels. A five-floor parking deck will have space for 467 vehicles. The bottom two floors will be reserved for more than 60,000-square feet of retail space.
The building will also have three rooftop decks, two swimming pools, two full-size gyms, a movie theater and a dog park...

The development has a website and a Facebook page stating the building is now leasing units that will be ready by 2015. It is not clear whether the project is still on that construction schedule.
Wow! We may get construction starting early next year on two mid/high rises! Exciting. Didn't see the one below posted in this thread, either

Traçage opponents hold firm against apartment tower
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...t-condo-tower/
Quote:
Neighbors who filed the appeal are concerned with the grey façade of the building. Their main concern, though, is the height of the building, which they say will dwarf surrounding properties.
Most buildings in the Warehouse District down to Lafayette Square are two to five stories, and their heights top out at 65 feet. The most recent version of Traçage is
planned for 184 feet and 16 stories. They also think its additional residents will create traffic problems.
This latest appeal is one of two options left to those opposing the project, Dupuis said. The City Council earlier this month voted 5-1 to extend an interim zoning ordinance to include the Traçage development. The City Planning Commission’s decision on the project, for which the hearing has yet to be scheduled, can be appealed as well, Dupuis said.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 9:22 AM
TL;DR

MSY North Terminal Concept

This is just a rough plan, but it seems to be laid out artfully (i.e. with input from Cesar Pelli). You can figure out some basic facts about the design from this plan.

-There will be no two-level arrival/departure roadway; the two functions are split on opposite sides of the terminal. This reduces roadway costs and (IMO) improves aesthetics. Arrivals on the west, departures on the east (arrivals are underneath the garage for shelter from rain).

-There will be a large open space in the center with room for retail, seating, security checks, etc. Depending on the height this could be like the Beijing airport on a smaller scale.

-There will be some feature at the north end of the terminal building, possibly a hotel tower

-There is a transit center on the departures side for long-term parking shuttles and local transit.

-The design of the 4000-car garage will be key. The footprint is massive so it only needs to be 3 stories tall, but it will be the first thing most people see when they arrive by car.

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Very interesting...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:55 PM
-

Where did you get that rendering from?

Almost finished my little buildings design at 201 South Villere. What you guys think? I think I definitely want to go with a lighter color scheme though.

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 5:30 PM

That is a fantastic design for the new terminal. Really love the departure/arrival areas being split on each side of the terminal. That will really improve the entire baggage claim experience. Placing the rental car, hotel, and offsite parking shuttles on a seperate roadway from the general traffic will also make transiting to those locations south of the airport much easier. Very smart in terms of traffic engineering.

It looks like there will be space for a large food court/retail area between the concourses...preferably with large windows to sit and watch the activity on the tarmac. There is also enough space to the west of the terminal for an additional concourse to be added on...if needed.

Also, I'm drooling over the design of that new building in the warehouse district.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 8:09 PM

Quote:

This is just a rough plan, but it seems to be laid out artfully (i.e. with input from Cesar Pelli). You can figure out some basic facts about the design from this plan.

-There will be no two-level arrival/departure roadway; the two functions are split on opposite sides of the terminal. This reduces roadway costs and (IMO) improves aesthetics. Arrivals on the west, departures on the east (arrivals are underneath the garage for shelter from rain).

-There will be a large open space in the center with room for retail, seating, security checks, etc. Depending on the height this could be like the Beijing airport on a smaller scale.

-There will be some feature at the north end of the terminal building, possibly a hotel tower

-There is a transit center on the departures side for long-term parking shuttles and local transit.

-The design of the 4000-car garage will be key. The footprint is massive so it only needs to be 3 stories tall, but it will be the first thing most people see when they arrive by car.

It's nice to see this starting to really take shape. Is there a link with any info? I'm just curious where the layout came from.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 8:45 PM

Tiffany & Co. opened this morning FYI

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 10:19 PM
life is good

New units planned won’t sate NOLA apartment demand
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...rtment-demand/
Quote:
Developers have also started to become more willing to move forward with projects that don’t involve tax credits.
Mark Madderra, a principal partner at Madderra and Cazalot, said five construction projects currently underway in the metro area will add 777 market rate units to the fold without the benefit of tax credits.
“That number doesn’t factor in other projects in the CBD and in St. Tammany Parish that have been announced but have yet to begin construction,” Madderra said. “Units under construction could balloon to more than 1,200 as we get into 2014.”
Two projects are under construction in the Central Business District. The first is at 144 Elk Place, where developer Mike Wampold is converting an office tower into loft apartments, retail and parking. The second, Paramount, is in the first phase of the South Market District.
Two additional projects – The Garage at 849 Carondelet St. and the redevelopment of an office tower at 225 Baronne St. — are slated to move forward in the next six months.
Madderra said once those projects get underway, there will be few options left in the CBD where a converting an existing building to apartments is feasible.
“Everything has already been claimed for redevelopment,” he said. “Some new construction is still on the horizon, but activity is going to slow.”
Big boxes reshape stores to fit into NOLA

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...fit-into-nola/
Quote:
By the end of 2014, 1.5 million square feet of new retail development — much of it belonging to national brands — will be open to shoppers, according to the New Orleans Business Alliance.
High demand, slow construction spike CBD office rates

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...-office-rates/
Quote:
Mike Siegel, president and director of office leasing for Corporate Realty, said those predictions hold true moving
into 2014. He expects steady supply and demand for office space in the CBD over the next five years.
Projections are less rosy for older, non-Class A office buildings in the CBD, which report average occupancy rates below 70 percent. ..
Experts predict the steady increase of outside firms and start-up ventures seeking space near the city’s historic center could spark new office tower construction over the next decade.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 10:21 PM

Cool Airport access

Is there any talk of having direct access to and from the airport to I-10 west. It seems ridiculous there isn't already.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 11:31 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
Is there any talk of having direct access to and from the airport to I-10 west. It seems ridiculous there isn't already.
They literally can't because of air clearance for the north south runway ... That's why switching to Loyola exit is nescessary too

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 28, 2013 at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 11:36 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Where did you get that rendering from?

Almost finished my little buildings design at 201 South Villere. What you guys think? I think I definitely want to go with a lighter color scheme though.

I like it. Not sure about the tan brick though?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 3:54 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
I like it. Not sure about the tan brick though?
Thanks and I agree ... I'm asking you guys cause I don't like the color pattern at all

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 4:18 AM

Proposed Tracage apartment building in Warehouse District sparks a fight again

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...tment_bui.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations