HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 2:11 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
301 is dead. With more people working remotely, there isn't a need for a 33-story office tower. If a proposal were to come back, I expect a hotel/residential high-rise of 20-25 stories, maybe they can sprinkle a few floors for office.

But I dunno, we may see another decade of nothingness.

Knowing CalPERS and Hines, probably the latter. Hell, even Detroit is constructing a nearly 700’ tower, and Sacramento can’t even break the 450’ mark. Although truthfully, we’ve had enough mediocre ‘high’ rises built in this city with the exception of a few. The last thing we need is another on Capital Mall.

I'll be returning to the Alamo City at the end of January 2025. I'm thrilled to be returning to the most beautiful city in Texas.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Aug 14, 2021 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 7:29 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Knowing CalPERS and Hines, probably the latter. Hell, even Detroit is constructing a nearly 700’ tower, and Sacramento can’t even break the 450’ mark. Although truthfully, we’ve had enough mediocre ‘high’ rises built in this city with the exception of a few. The last thing we need is another on Capital Mall.
My office is just a couple blocks away from there. I only go in once a year now because it’s so bad. Everyone at the office agrees. Midtown is a whole different situation however.

So I think unless we work to move the homeless and crime out, we will never have a 600’ residential tower here. Why would you want to spend a lot to live in that dump?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 10:56 PM

I stumbled across this website and just wanted to share. A pretty good run down of projects around town.

https://sfyimby.com/neighborhoods/sacramento

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
I stumbled across this website and just wanted to share. A pretty good run down of projects around town.

https://sfyimby.com/neighborhoods/sacramento
Wow, that link was super interesting. I watched the planning commission approve the 16th and R, six story mixed use project and I'm super excited about that hole being filled in. Also, the parking lot across from the new target on J street becoming a big housing development is fun.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 5:40 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofFrost View Post
Wow, that link was super interesting. I watched the planning commission approve the 16th and R, six story mixed use project and I'm super excited about that hole being filled in. Also, the parking lot across from the new target on J street becoming a big housing development is fun.
I noticed the buildings on that lot were demolished when I stopped by Target last week; have they done any further work there yet?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:10 PM
Hindrance to Development

Story apparently pending, but looks like there is a proposal coming for the Kings owned Lot X (3rd & Capitol southwest corner) for a 28 story mass timber building, 225 apartments, 80K office, by Southern Land Company.
(edit: article's a little unclear, could be 2 buildings, 1 28 story apartment bldg & 1 80K mass timber office building.)

Last edited by wburg; Oct 19, 2021 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:42 PM
Kodachrome

Sounds ridiculous, but the Kings pulled it from their webpage. Look at the address here: https://www.nba.com/kings/news/south...ces-sacramento

Makes no since when nearly 2 million square feet of office space has been put back on
the market in the last 18 months. I wonder what makes them think this many units in a
high-rise in Sacramento will sell? This sounds like the 2008 real-estate market crash all over again.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:28 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
Sounds ridiculous, but the Kings pulled it from their webpage. Look at the address here: https://www.nba.com/kings/news/south...ces-sacramento

Makes no since when nearly 2 million square feet of office space has been put back on
the market in the last 18 months. I wonder what makes them think this many units in a
high-rise in Sacramento will sell? This sounds like the 2008 real-estate market crash all over again.
Well, here's the Business Journal article link, seems to confirm the story. I agree that we need housing, not office, so hopefully they pulled it from the website so they can post a revised version with less office and more housing--because yes, I think that many residential units in a high-rise right downtown will do all right. Not sure about the economics of mass timber as it's a brave new world for that stuff in California, but presumably cheaper than steel?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:40 AM

Ah yes, another joint press release announcing the development of a proposed skyscraper.
Where have we seen this before?

A few years ago SKK and Saca announced plans for the The Metropolitan at 10th and J.
Calpers and CIM Group announced new plans for 301 Capitol Mall.
Vanir announced new plans for a hotel and residential tower at 6th and J
The Kings announced plans for a mid rise development at 8th and K.

All of them fell through.

And now the Kings, who couldn’t get a 6 story midrise built, feel they can get a 28 story luxury tower off the ground?

I would love to see it come to fruition, but recent history is not on their side

Last edited by Pistola916; Oct 20, 2021 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:58 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
And now the Kings, who couldn’t get a 6 story midrise built, feel they can get a 28 story luxury tower off the ground?

I would love to see it come to fruition, but recent history is not on their side
Yeah, that’s just a nonsensical fantasy.

I'll be returning to the Alamo City at the end of January 2025. I'm thrilled to be returning to the most beautiful city in Texas.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:56 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Ah yes, another joint press release announcing the development of a proposed skyscraper.
Where have we seen this before?

A few years ago SKK and Saca announced plans for the The Metropolitan at 10th and J.
Calpers and CIM Group announced new plans for 301 Capitol Mall.
Vanir announced new plans for a hotel and residential tower at 6th and J
The Kings announced plans for a mid rise development at 8th and K.

All of them fell through.

That was 15 years ago, just before the second largest economic contraction in American history, so I suppose we can excuse the lack of progress on that particular high-rise wave. The initial proposal at 8th & K was supposed to be built by David Taylor, but fell through due to the state ending redevelopment circa 2012, and that project hinged on tax increment financing & didn't get underway like the 700 block did--the property was given to the Kings several years later. The Kings did have one success at 8th & K, when they handed over the Bel-Vue Apartments to CFY and rehabbed it into affordable apartments, and here they're proposing selling it to a developer who does have experience building stuff. The site clearance for the midrise part of the project at 8th & L just finished a few months ago, so we'll see what happens next. Plus, while that particular midrise didn't get built yet, a whole lot of other midrises did get built, along with historic rehabs, and they're still filling up.

I've seen enough of these projects get proposed and fail that I know just because something was proposed doesn't mean something gets built, but even the proposal is kind of significant. The 2006 wave is no longer recent history.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:39 PM

Any new updates up in Sac? I haven't been up since last Oct (2020)

Anything break ground or is it slow af like San Jose

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 6:50 PM

Since Oct 2020? The 18 storey courthouse, state office complex at Richards and the 9 storey AC Marriott(7th/I Streets)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:18 PM
Kodachrome

Early rendering for the California Tower at the UC Davis Medical Center.
This was part of a UC Construction Contract Administrators Annual Forum presentation.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post

Early rendering for the California Tower at the UC Davis Medical Center.
This was part of a UC Construction Contract Administrators Annual Forum presentation.
Looks nice!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 7:35 PM

Looks to be about 14 floors? Not bad if it gets built

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
Looks to be about 14 floors? Not bad if it gets built
14 floors but tall ??

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 1:48 AM

southern land company , first company's development in the west coast , nice ima stay optimistic not to much to be optimistic about lately.....
Capitol Mall Luxury Coming In Place Typically Reserved For Government Space
https://cbsloc.al/3jIzQSi

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 4:52 PM
Hindrance to Development

The article fails to mention that the developer also plans an 8 story office building next to the residential project. A lot of buildings west of 7th Street in the old redevelopment zone on Capitol Mall are privately owned offices for private-sector businesses. Not sure where Barry Broome has been all this time, but the idea of repopulating downtown is nothing new, and has been part of city plans for a long time, it just met with a lot of resistance from older-school landlords & developers who like offices better. But "getting the government out of there altogether" is just silly. Having more housing downtown also means places for public employees to live that doesn't require a long commute.

Another "tell" in this article is the call for "more entertainment and housing" which typically ends up just being a call for more entertainment venues for suburban visitors; there is already plenty of entertainment downtown, the problem is that large entertainment venues tend to make places less appealing as places to live for people who like to sleep at night so they can work in the morning.

Last edited by wburg; Nov 15, 2021 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 8:34 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The article fails to mention that the developer also plans an 8 story office building next to the residential project. A lot of buildings west of 7th Street in the old redevelopment zone on Capitol Mall are privately owned offices for private-sector businesses. Not sure where Barry Broome all this time, but the idea of repopulating downtown is nothing new, and has been part of city plans for a long time, it just met with a lot of resistance from older-school landlords & developers who like offices better. But "getting the government out of there altogether" is just silly. Having more housing downtown also means places for public employees to live that doesn't require a long commute.

Another "tell" in this article is the call for "more entertainment and housing" which typically ends up just being a call for more entertainment venues for suburban visitors; there is already plenty of entertainment downtown, the problem is that large entertainment venues tend to make places less appealing as places to live for people who like to sleep at night so they can work in the morning.
Well said.

Agree especially with what you noted about what is really wanted is more entertainment. PrePandemic there were plenty of entertainment options in the central city, so the idea that there weren’t enough isn’t really believable.

I tend to think we have a glut of ground floor retail/dining. I’m not saying there are areas of the core that can’t use more, but we really need to get away from requiring every new residential development to require ground floor commercial space.

I would like to see more ground floor residential space like the building at Q and 19th or St. Anton at L and 21st which built out former restaurant space into ground floor apartment space. Now granted, I haven’t seen the tenants really do much of anything with those spaces in terms of making them look lived in but with the severe homeless problem, that’s somewhat understandable.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Nov 15, 2021 at 2:55 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area