HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 7:10 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I really want to meet my Fredericton skyscraper peeps! lol
Sweet party at your place after Regent street by pass re opens

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 12:19 PM

There are a lot of construction signs in place (but covered) at Ring Road/Brookside, including several for temporary markings. Not sure what they're planning to do there, but the intersection itself wasn't resurfaced the last time they were working on Ring Road, so maybe it's that.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 12:52 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
There are a lot of construction signs in place (but covered) at Ring Road/Brookside, including several for temporary markings. Not sure what they're planning to do there, but the intersection itself wasn't resurfaced the last time they were working on Ring Road, so maybe it's that.
Mr Eaton you are correct. But I am guessing if we wait another day we will find out. Too bad it is not for the over pass to two nations crossing

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Mr Eaton you are correct. But I am guessing if we wait another day we will find out. Too bad it is not for the over pass to two nations crossing
That's planned for 2018 I think. The design phase is not yet done and IIRC tenders have not been issued.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 12:04 PM

They were stripping pavement on Ring Road this morning. Traffic was only getting through from one direction at a time, so it was... interesting. Lots of people turning around and finding other ways after waiting a while.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
They were stripping pavement on Ring Road this morning. Traffic was only getting through from one direction at a time, so it was... interesting. Lots of people turning around and finding other ways after waiting a while.
I hope they do the same to the Vanier. The right lane is grooved badly.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 12:42 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Obviously people are going to do that. I waited on Reynolds Street for about 3 minutes before I did the UTURN. The city should have given people a heads up about this even though we have seen the equipment there for a few days. Wonder how long its going to take them to do that

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
Obviously people are going to do that. I waited on Reynolds Street for about 3 minutes before I did the UTURN. The city should have given people a heads up about this even though we have seen the equipment there for a few days. Wonder how long its going to take them to do that
Takes no time to strip and pave. Can be all done in one day. Especially if it is a private company doing it,

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:12 PM

Quote:
If it's the Ring Road, it's the province doing it, not the City. In fact, the Ring Road is not listed as a project for this year ( http://www.fredericton.ca/en/transpo...nstruction.asp ). Still, someone should have made an announcement at least to the media to warn folk.

Luckily (by chance) I came in via Maple this morning, and before rush hour so I dodged all the construction fun. If it's just a simple scrape and slap, they should be done fairly quickly at least.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Should be quick. Liverpool Street was just done and while it was bare for a week the paving took a couple hours for the whole 500m. Much of Skyline Acres is being done, with Woodbridge 2 years ago, Canterbury last and Liverpool and Cambridge now.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Should be quick. Liverpool Street was just done and while it was bare for a week the paving took a couple hours for the whole 500m. Much of Skyline Acres is being done, with Woodbridge 2 years ago, Canterbury last and Liverpool and Cambridge now.

Thanks, that is good to know. I have no patience at all.
The DW says its my worst quality :p

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
Takes no time to strip and pave. Can be all done in one day. Especially if it is a private company doing it,
http://www.gnb.ca/0113/en/traffic_ad...es/index-e.asp

GNB's website has it listed as July 26 - August 31. I have no idea if that date is accurate or not, but if it's really going to take a month, then maybe they're doing something else at the same time?

Also saw more signs in place heading to the Westmorland/Maple intersection, and that is listed as part of the same project.

Quote:
Ring Road from intersection of Brookside and Route 105 and intersection of Westmorland Street and Maple Street.

Reduced to one lane

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 10:02 PM

I seen today dominos pizza signs are up on main street fredericton north. In the scoitbank Plaza.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I seen today dominos pizza signs are up on main street fredericton north. In the scoitbank Plaza.
Because we don't have enough Pizza joints on Main street after all.

Still I won't mind Dominos on the North Side; I just have to wonder if they might have been better off going down to the Union Street side of the North.

In other news, it looks like we'll be seeing a walking bridge refurbishment project in the next 2-3 years (Apologies for the video, I haven't noticed any written reports yet)

Basically the city did a study on the Walking Bridge and the study has concluded that the bridge IS safe and sound now; but 2 of the piers will need replacing soon, and the entire walking deck and support structure will need replacement.

The city is considering non-wood options for replacing the deck and just starting to decide how to proceed next. Since the structure is leased to the city from the province, the province will chip in for the renovations as well.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Noticed that as well. Amazing how many pizza shops have popped up over the past couple of years

Also I still think something is going into the former Liquidation World. Thet continue to paint the exterior a different color and noticed that the interior lights were on yesterday afternoon and workers were inside

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 11:54 AM
The Sheriff

negative nancy, should be happy to see the northside grow more. At least it is some what cleaning up that crappy building, and making it look half decent

[QUOTE=Taeolas;7515813]Because we don't have enough Pizza joints on Main street after all.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 1:38 PM

Honestly, I'm for more north side businesses in general... but I'm concerned that that is the 4th Chain Pizza store within a block or two on the same street. At some point they're going to be cannibalizing their own customer base. Dominos or Little Ceasars might have been better going to the other side of the Ring road ultimately; but time will tell.

As for their location, that Minimall is still an eyesore, and the Dominos sign isn't helping much. Drove by there this morning, and it really seemed oversized for the spot (It's right next to Evergreen Traders) and certainly doesn't do much for making that minimall look better.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Honestly, I'm for more north side businesses in general... but I'm concerned that that is the 4th Chain Pizza store within a block or two on the same street. At some point they're going to be cannibalizing their own customer base. Dominos or Little Ceasars might have been better going to the other side of the Ring road ultimately; but time will tell.

As for their location, that Minimall is still an eyesore, and the Dominos sign isn't helping much. Drove by there this morning, and it really seemed oversized for the spot (It's right next to Evergreen Traders) and certainly doesn't do much for making that minimall look better.

I agree lets close up all them pawn shops too. Mainly just junk and how many of them are on that street as well. You seem like a not in my back yard type of guy/gal

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 3:29 PM

What am I saying that makes you think I'm being NIMBY? It's an honest question because I am not against the development at all; I'm just wondering about how feasible the business would be given the competition in the area.

Otherwise, my main concern is that eyesore of that minimall; not the businesses in it. (Though I found that Dominos sign a bit gaudy and oversized to be honest). Got no problem at all with Evergreen Traders there, nor any other businesses in it.

If the minimall owners were to rebuild/renovate the building to make it look nicer/modern (See the Canadian Tire on Mainstreet update for example, or the recently refaced Jean Coutu minimall on Union), I'd have no problem with all the existing businesses staying put and hope they all continue to do well and thrive.

As for Dominos, my main concern is that there are too many pizza joints in that area and they may not survive going forward. Hopefully the coverage area/density is enough for them, but 4 major chains effectively within a block of eachother is a bit strange for our area. Then again, maybe a Pizza District will work well and they'll all thrive. Time apparently will tell, one way or another.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
What am I saying that makes you think I'm being NIMBY? It's an honest question because I am not against the development at all; I'm just wondering about how feasible the business would be given the competition in the area.

Otherwise, my main concern is that eyesore of that minimall; not the businesses in it. (Though I found that Dominos sign a bit gaudy and oversized to be honest). Got no problem at all with Evergreen Traders there, nor any other businesses in it.

If the minimall owners were to rebuild/renovate the building to make it look nicer/modern (See the Canadian Tire on Mainstreet update for example, or the recently refaced Jean Coutu minimall on Union), I'd have no problem with all the existing businesses staying put and hope they all continue to do well and thrive.

As for Dominos, my main concern is that there are too many pizza joints in that area and they may not survive going forward. Hopefully the coverage area/density is enough for them, but 4 major chains effectively within a block of eachother is a bit strange for our area. Then again, maybe a Pizza District will work well and they'll all thrive. Time apparently will tell, one way or another.
I know comparing Moncton and Fredericton is like a slap to the face for Moncton but they have a lot of their pizza stores all on one street (Mountain Road) . One thing we agree on that whole building is an eye sore. Ive been saying that for years even when I was a child back in the 80's I remember going to Lofood I remember that horrible smell when you first walked in

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces