HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
For me Crestview, Brentwood, and Allendale are central Austin. They just have the vibes you expect in that area. Wooten, St. John's, and Shoal Creek feel more like North Austin.
Accurate

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
For me Crestview, Brentwood, and Allendale are central Austin. They just have the vibes you expect in that area. Wooten, St. John's, and Shoal Creek feel more like North Austin.
The $1.3 million dollar listing in Wooten is offended by your characterization. /s

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 9:06 PM

Planning Commission OKs latest northwest downtown rezoning

This is my neighborhood. Good to hear others are in favor of more residential for the area.

Quote:
The Planning Commission recommended approval last Tuesday of a rezoning to allow an office and residential building at 815 W. 11th St., adding to a list of developments planned for a sleepy, historic part of downtown.

The change from Limited Office (LO) zoning to Downtown Mixed-Use zoning with a 60-foot height limit (DMU-60) would allow three floors of offices and a fourth residential floor with two units.

Land use lobbyist Leah Bojo, speaking on behalf of the applicant, highlighted the benefits of building more homes in a mostly commercial area. “At 5 o’clock and on weekends, (the neighborhood) clears out and becomes kind of a ghost town,” she said. “Adding residential units, even in small numbers, incrementally counters that condition, making for a safer and more vibrant neighborhood.”

Neighbors attested to the lack of activity, especially at night. “This area is actually so deserted that my fiancé doesn’t even really feel safe walking our dog on our block at night,” said Marshall Geyer, who is in favor of the rezoning. Geyer said the new development would help make the neighborhood “feel more like a community again, instead of an empty museum.”

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 12:45 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
So what is between 2222 and 183? North Central?
I think Central Austin's north boundary is 45th St.

North Central begins there, and continues up to Anderson Ln.

North of Anderson is just North Austin.

Of course as the city and metro continue to grow explosively these definitions can and will continue to change.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post

Of course as the city and metro continue to grow explosively these definitions can and will continue to change.
I think those definitions necessarily have already changed. Or else it would put the center of the city not in “Central” Austin.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 2:59 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I think those definitions necessarily have already changed. Or else it would put the center of the city not in “Central” Austin.
Probably. I stated that from a Southsider's perspective. I grew up around people who referred to Anderson Ln. as, "Waaay North".

Then again, I know people from Round Rock that think Ben White might as well be in San Antonio.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 9:02 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Probably. I stated that from a Southsider's perspective. I grew up around people who referred to Anderson Ln. as, "Waaay North".

Then again, I know people from Round Rock that think Ben White might as well be in San Antonio.
Statement of fact: Ben White is in San Antonio.

I dunno who he is, but you can look him up in the phone book.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 9:22 AM

Quote:

I understand this definition, it was well accepted when I first moved here. Anderson Ln = Far North edge of Austin.

But I also agree with Novacek that this definition has already changed. You would be hard pressed to find anyone of the the 10s of thousands of folks moving to say, Leander, who would say Allandale, Brentwood/Crestview, Wooten, etc south of 183 but within spittin' distance of Lamar, is not central. It is now, absolutely.

And 78704 is about as "central" as it gets in real-world, geographic proximity and history within the city limits. But the formal "Central Austin" never included south of the river, no matter how close it was. So it is not that, at least to old-time Austinites, but it is definitely a neighborhood right at the heart of the city center.

My wife, her definition of central was as soon as you see the skyline, whether from the north (exiting 183 to Mopac S, for instance) or south (coming up Lamar, Congress or 35 with clear view of the DT skyline,) that's central to her. That was her perspective living in Cedar Park.

I realize this may make no sense to anyone who hasn't lived in Austin for decades.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:20 PM

Quote:
you mean people from suburban Waco?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 5:30 PM

It's always weird for me to think that Lakeline Mall is nearly twice as far (10 miles) from Anderson & Lamar as Anderson & Lamar is to Downtown (6 miles).

The suburbs just blur past when you're driving north.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 7:16 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
It's always weird for me to think that Lakeline Mall is nearly twice as far (10 miles) from Anderson & Lamar as Anderson & Lamar is to Downtown (6 miles).

The suburbs just blur past when you're driving north.
Yep. And now there is so much past Lakeline Mall. I remember when that was the middle of no where.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 11:03 PM

I don't agree. Lakeline seems so much further than 10 miles from Anderson Lane. The Domain to downtown is 10 miles and that seems fairly close. You can get there in 15 minutes without traffic. It's all on person's perception I guess.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 11:50 PM

It almost doesn't matter where you live south because you're always closer to the CBD. Anderson Ln equals about Stassney in south Austin with the Capitol being the center but if you make 6th st the center it brings south Austin all the way past William cannon towards Dittmar.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin242 View Post
It almost doesn't matter where you live south because you're always closer to the CBD. Anderson Ln equals about Stassney in south Austin with the Capitol being the center but if you make 6th st the center it brings south Austin all the way past William cannon towards Dittmar.
But it'll likely take you a bit longer to get to the CBD if you live far South. Colleague of mine lives off Manchaca and it usually takes him 50 min to get downtown. For me (near Chinatown), it's usually 15-20 min on 35

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 3:34 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I have easy and quick access to DT from my location near South Austin Medical Center. Have easy and quick access to the airport as well. Pretty much everything is easy access (except the Domain) but really it's not that bad when there's no traffic.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
But it'll likely take you a bit longer to get to the CBD if you live far South. Colleague of mine lives off Manchaca and it usually takes him 50 min to get downtown. For me (near Chinatown), it's usually 15-20 min on 35

That is strange. I have colleagues that can get from Driftwood area to downtown in that time..

I think the issue is anyone who has to rely on 35.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
That is strange. I have colleagues that can get from Driftwood area to downtown in that time..

I think the issue is anyone who has to rely on 35.
Funny enough he doesn't use 35....

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 7:37 PM

Downtown is 20 minutes rush hour (Mopac) from SW Austin/Oak Hill. 10 to 15 minutes in non rush hour. Add another 5 or 10 minutes to get to North Central Austin. Airport is 15 to 20 minutes away for most of the day. Rush hour might be 5 minutes longer.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 8:50 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
During rush hour? I can get from Kyle the backway through the city of Manchaca in less than 50 minutes.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 8:59 PM

Quote:
lives off Menchaca...where? I live off Menchaca and it takes me ~15 minutes to get to my office on 6th St.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin