HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 4:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Projected opening date for Baton Rouge in the Crowne Plaza Hotel is the first week of September.

Just in time for hockey season!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Projected opening date for Baton Rouge in the Crowne Plaza Hotel is the first week of September.

Just in time for hockey season!
With Carabbas, The Bunker, Baton Rouge and Monk10 its going to great to a have a real vibrant restaurant scene around Avenir Centre finally. La Vida is also right across the street, I'd actually like to see some upgrades to the exterior of this building as it still just looks like a UPS store from the outside. Loli Lounge is also just up the street from these places.

I expect that we will see a sellout for this years home opener and having all of these places fill up before the game we could actually have an "pre-game" atmosphere where you have Wildcats jerseys filling up the restaurants nearby.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 5:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Judging from the trades the Cats made, it would seem they are going all in this year. That, and the new coach (Gardiner MacDougall) is going to lead to a lot of irrational exuberance.

Yes, the first game could be a sellout, and, the atmosphere around the Avenir Centre Plaza and adjacent restaurants this season could have a vibe similar to the ScotiaBank Arena and Grafton Street in Halifax.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:37 PM

Charles Smith Construction pickup truck is on site the 25 Dominion property today. They specialize in excavation, sewer & water.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri View Post
Charles Smith Construction pickup truck is on site the 25 Dominion property today. They specialize in excavation, sewer & water.
Very interesting.

If, as rumoured, there are load bearing issues with the substrate at the Infinity site requiring some additional engineering, then it would make sense that ICON would busy themselves in the meantime with projects like the Riverview apartment complex and 25 Dominion.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:32 PM

I feel Icon can figure it out quickly regarding the Infinity project. The assumption building is 20 and build basically on swamp land, so I am sure the land around Infinity isn't much different. I have friends who are engineers and said this usually would delay a project 3-6 months.

Also from a very reliable source the Ashford plans will contain a decent-sized parking structure and a mixture of buildings ranging in sizes. I have not seen this plan, but it was passed along to some of the Buildings and businesses that sit on and around the property. This plan also included the new street grid and break down for the area as well.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm not anticipating a huge delay at the Infinity site either (about 6 months or so), but, it might be enough to delay the project until next spring. They could at least start excavation and foundation construction at 25 Dominion in the meantime.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:24 PM

Quote:

I'm not anticipating a huge delay at the Infinity site either (about 6 months or so), but, it might be enough to delay the project until next spring. They could at least start excavation and foundation construction at 25 Dominion in the meantime.
Very true and if they are anything like Lafford, the projects will move forward very quickly. It would be nice to see something at 25 Dominion.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:30 PM

There are pros and cons to the different site types in the Maritimes... Silt-plains like Moncton are easy to dig in but require pilings to find bedrock. Rocky shores like SJ or Halifax have easier-to-access bedrock but you'll need to blast into it. I honestly don't know which is more difficult or more expensive.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Very interesting.

If, as rumoured, there are load bearing issues with the substrate at the Infinity site requiring some additional engineering, then it would make sense that ICON would busy themselves in the meantime with projects like the Riverview apartment complex and 25 Dominion.
Exactly. It's the same thought I had about Ashford. While they've been waiting for the infrastructure work to get done on the Assomption land, they've been busy building apartment buildings.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 9:23 PM

Love seeing the crane on Riverview from downtown Moncton. If not for the Three Sisters' crane being blocked by the first 2 sisters/Crowne, I'd be seeing 4 cranes (i.e., Riverview, Main and Vaughn, and Franklyn Yards) from where I live.

Last edited by new kid in town; Jun 12, 2024 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 12:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Vien Dong restaurant on Main Street has been sold (apparently to Red Satay), and, may be rebranded as such.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:47 PM

House right across the harvest house on High street is being torn down. There will now be 3 or 4 side by side empty lots.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 8:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri View Post
House right across the harvest house on High street is being torn down. There will now be 3 or 4 side by side empty lots.
This may be so, but, don't get your hopes up that this area will get gentrified with a new apartment complex.

This section of High Street is the dodgiest part of downtown Moncton, and, gives off a post 1968 Detroit sort of vibe. I can't imagine any private developer in the city taking a chance on this two block area.

Now, it could be redeveloped as public housing (in the short term), or, let nature take it's course, and wait another 20 years until all the derelict housing is either burned down, falls down or is torn down so that you can start afresh........

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 11:49 PM

From Retail Talk on Facebook:

Proposed exterior updates on Crowne Plaza

It would make it more coherent with the newer buildings in the area--although of course there is a case of it being samey.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 11:56 PM

I wonder if and when this will happen? They are currently painting Baton Rouge the same colour as the current building, so it’s definitely not this year.

As for the look, I like it, it would be a huge change, downtown has a lot of beige, the change on the skyline will be nice.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:01 AM

This would answer the questions on what's happening between Baton Rouge and The Bunker. Is shows surface parking. I think there is a missed opportunity for a pretty neat green space to compliment the two developments. IMO

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:04 AM

I have the same questions. The post didn't really give any other details. I hope sooner rather than later though.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:15 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimerJAB View Post
This would answer the questions on what's happening between Baton Rouge and The Bunker. Is shows surface parking. I think there is a missed opportunity for a pretty neat green space to compliment the two developments. IMO
That little stub of asphalt right in front of the Baton Rouge doesn't really connect well with the remainder of the parking. This is kinda odd.

That snorkel right next to the Baton Rouge is to deplane and embark tour bus passengers directly into the hotel. I know the Crowne Plaza wanted something like that because the current situation where the tour bus is just parked on Highfield in front of the main hotel entrance wasn't rally viable any more.

I wonder if the stub could be used for tour bus parking? I wouldn't really like that, but, I wonder if this is what they have in mind?

The outdoor patio also looks kinda barren. They at least need some patio unbrellas for shade.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

In terms of the style of cladding and the overall look of the building, I think they have done a good job. This Baton Rouge restaurant should be insanely busy.

There is a real entertainment district developing around the Avenir Centre. There is the arena itself, as well as the plaza out front, including the stage and skating oval. Then there are three immediately adjacent hotels (Crowne Plaza, Hyatt Place, Hilton Garden Inn), three high quality restaurants (Baton Rouge, Carrabba's, Monk 10) and, The Bunker (bar and indoor golf range). There is not much else like it on the east coast.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces