HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 1:17 PM

Seconded What would this thread have been without Imre?

Imre - Thank you for your diligent posting of your pictures allowing a guy in Kansas city to follow the construction almost daily!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 9:44 PM
Just add water

Hi guys

After quite some time I made it to BD with my camera again. I actually wanted to take some HDR pics of the fountain and the tower being equally illuminated. Which is not easy... my software could not layer the images the way I wanted it to. But these pics I'm quite happy with

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 10:13 PM

The water features are really interesting, and I'd like to see if it turns out to be a template that other cities use. I can imagine it being relevant in places where land isn't all that scarce in spite of there being huge skyscrapers (which may turn out to apply to nowhere in the world but Las Vegas and Dubai).

It sort of reminds me of the Chicago River, but in this case the city is better integrated with the water and takes advantage of it. Maybe Chicago and other cities like New York and San Francisco can learn a little from how Dubai approaches the water (or builds it artificially) and apply similar techniques. I definitely like the low walkways and bridges.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 11:05 PM

@Sabastian, your last pic is one of the best night time shots of BD yet.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzuti View Post
It sort of reminds me of the Chicago River, but in this case the city is better integrated with the water and takes advantage of it. Maybe Chicago and other cities like New York and San Francisco can learn a little from how Dubai approaches the water (or builds it artificially) and apply similar techniques. I definitely like the low walkways and bridges.
I'm not sure I - at all - understand what you mean. . . and I don't want to derail this thread, but how would you apply these techniques to the natural waterways in the cities you mentioned?

. . .

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 6:54 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Beautiful pictures, Sebastian! Thanks for sharing.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
I'm not sure I - at all - understand what you mean. . . and I don't want to derail this thread, but how would you apply these techniques to the natural waterways in the cities you mentioned?

. . .
When you look at the Chicago River, most bridges and walkways are at least 20 feet above the water, which treats the river more like a sewer or industrial canal than an integrated part of the city. From most of the pictures I've seen, there is a pretty strong psychological barrier between the water and the skyscrapers. From a distance, the water looks to be beautifully integrated with the city, giving you a hint at what the canal could be - but it's not as though you're invited to walk up and dip your hands into the water. Compare it to the artificial waterways in Dubai, with bridges that are hardly lifted above the water at all.

The same thing is true for waterways in New York and other places. I have no idea what New Orleans is like because I've never been there, but it seems that the use of city canals for shipping and transportation is waning (modern shipping vessels are far too big for them), with only aesthetic and historic purposes remaining. And since it seems that virtually every major city in the U.S. is located on a large waterway, we could do better to make them a visually appealing part of the city.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 3:31 AM
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clvlndr in LV View Post
Thank you Imre for all the updates.

Does anyone know what the purpose is of the "tabs" attached to the uppermost portion of the spire (honestly no clue as to what they would be called). They seem to spiral upwards. Is it possibly lighting? Sorry if it has been discussed before but I didn't catch the answer.
Hi Clvlndr.

They are called fins and they help combat the wind.
The portion of the structure that has the fins is called the pinnacle and is the top 4 tiers - 27 to 30.
The fins are 2.135 m. high and spiral up in a clockwise fashion when viewed from the top with each pointing 30 degrees from the next.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 5:39 PM
Just add water

An afternoon at Safa Park

Some more pics from today are on VerticalDubai.com

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 6:08 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wowzers! Now that it's clean it's so much better! So so much!

It even looks like it could fit in NY!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 7:00 PM

It's amazing to consider the height of the buildings in the foreground in those last two pictures, and how tiny they look in comparison. I like these views the best, because while the sheer height of the tower combined with its design make its extreme height obvious even in the isolated views from its base, it looks even more amazing when seen from farther away with other skyscrapers to give a sense of scale.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzuti View Post
When you look at the Chicago River, most bridges and walkways are at least 20 feet above the water, which treats the river more like a sewer or industrial canal than an integrated part of the city. From most of the pictures I've seen, there is a pretty strong psychological barrier between the water and the skyscrapers. From a distance, the water looks to be beautifully integrated with the city, giving you a hint at what the canal could be - but it's not as though you're invited to walk up and dip your hands into the water. Compare it to the artificial waterways in Dubai, with bridges that are hardly lifted above the water at all.

The same thing is true for waterways in New York and other places. I have no idea what New Orleans is like because I've never been there, but it seems that the use of city canals for shipping and transportation is waning (modern shipping vessels are far too big for them), with only aesthetic and historic purposes remaining. And since it seems that virtually every major city in the U.S. is located on a large waterway, we could do better to make them a visually appealing part of the city.
You seem to have a gross misunderstanding of the difference between the natural rivers and harbors in Chicago, New York and San Francisco and the artificial decorative pond outside of Burj Dubai. . . the assumption that the use of these harbor/river systems is "waning" is absolutely false. . . and I still don't understand how you'd apply these features - as you suggest - to these other cities. . .

For perspective, a comparison of the Burj Dubai pond to the water features outside the Bellagio resort in Las Vegas would be more apt. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 12:27 PM
Dubai

27/October/2009

Burj Dubai

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 12:29 PM
Dubai

27/October/2009

Burj Dubai

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 9:17 PM

its going to be a long time before Burj Dubai looses its title of tallest everything lol

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Hi Clvlndr.

They are called fins and they help combat the wind.
The portion of the structure that has the fins is called the pinnacle and is the top 4 tiers - 27 to 30.
The fins are 2.135 m. high and spiral up in a clockwise fashion when viewed from the top with each pointing 30 degrees from the next.

Thank you Fury for the explanation, it's greatly appreciated.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 10:33 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

OMG! Burj Dubai looks so surreal! It's as if it's been photoshopped into those pictures. It came out wayy better than I expected!

Finally! this is the first step to Dubai becoming what we see in the renders. Once the whole complex is complete then the Marina and all those other small projects will soon follow and Dubai will look like the coolest city on earth!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 6:00 AM
Dubai

Stepping up to the challenge

Tuesday 27 Oct, 2009

A Dubai local is hoping to become the first to walk all the way to the top of the world’s tallest building when the Burj Dubai finally opens, reports Nichola Jones

He has walked the length of the United Arab Emirates, climbed Dubai’s 100 highest towers and is now taking on his tallest challenge yet - conquering the Burj Dubai.

Jalal is hoping to secure sponsorship for the event, which will take place after the Burj Dubai’s official opening, which is due to take place on December 2.

“I cannot reveal the exact date yet but it will be happening after the official opening in December,” said Jalal. “I am feeling ready and very positive, it will be great to have some support.”

To contact Jalal and find out more about his charity challenges, go to www.binthaneya.com

http://www.7days.ae/

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 5:05 PM

Hard to believe it was only 4 years ago when it broke ground.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 5:28 PM

Just goes to show how fast buildings can rise when we put our differences aside and work together.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive