HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 5:35 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola3 View Post
I don't see a friggin contradiction anywhere in here. If the metairie dip would have been built with a substantial underground drainage tunnel and pump system we would never have had a problem. If a drainage tunnel were built under a Claiborne automobile tunnel (stacked tunnels one for traffic and one for drainage(similar to Napoleon Ave subterranean drainage tunnel) to catch the storm water runoff, and pumped into the river there would be no problem. IMO
The Metairie Dip does have a substantial drainage system. There's a massive pumping station right next to it with 3x 12' pipes leading out. Is this not for draining the underpass?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The Metairie Dip does have a substantial drainage system. There's a massive pumping station right next to it with 3x 12' pipes leading out. Is this not for draining the underpass?
The pumping station was nothing more than a pure pork barrel project, poorly designed (better to say insanely designed) with completely inadequate subsurface holding basin. This would have been a good chance to build an overpass over the tracks instead of wasting the $ on that crap of a pumping house that doesn't work and is an eyesore entering Orleans from Jefferson

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 8:06 AM

Quote:
This would have been a good chance to build an overpass over the tracks instead of wasting the $ on that crap of a pumping house that doesn't work and is an eyesore entering Orleans from Jefferson
Given that it was built to blend in with the sound walls that currently stretch from the city to Vets and will eventually make it to Kenner you might as well count everything west of Airline as a giant eyesore. I can't think of many, if any, major drainage issues that we've had since the station was built with Katrina being an exception.

Quote:
I don't see a friggin contradiction anywhere in here. If the metairie dip would have been built with a substantial underground drainage tunnel and properly designed pump station and system (instead of the crap of a mess that's there now) we would never have had a problem. If a drainage tunnel were built under a Claiborne automobile tunnel (stacked tunnels one for traffic and one for drainage(similar to Napoleon Ave subterranean drainage tunnel) to catch the storm water runoff, and pumped into the river there would be no problem. IMO
I don't think the main issue with a tunnel would be flooding, but more so the balance of keeping it from rising out of the ground from subsidence and finding a financially feasible way to keep it from sinking under its own weight. Tunnels aren't unheard of around here, but the Harvey and Belle Chasse tunnels are closed so frequently for maintenance that they probably wouldn't be missed by the general public. If the funding is available, I'm all for it. Maybe something like the hybrid tunnels they are building in Dallas would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
On a related note, it would be nice if we could have something like the High Line in Manhattan built on one of the spans. It could also be a great location for a high speed light rail line.
I love that idea. I think we might need a lot more density in that area to make it work, but that would be awesome.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 11:28 AM
life is good

A tunnel is a non starter. There isn't the density of land use to need one. And the city and state don't have the money for it, either.

That said if they pull down the elevated highway, Claiborne can become (go back to?) being one of the nicest boulevards/areas of the city. The location is superb.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, those 3 12' pipes are supposed to keep the Metairie Rd/I-10 dip dry. An overpass probably would have been a better solution in that area given the fact that cemeteries are on both sides of the expressway. I think the tracks are to be rerouted in the future anyway, and an overpass is in the design phase as I write this. The harvey tunnel was built in the 50's or 60's so there is bound to be lots of maintenance. The 310 bridge in Luling is "surprisingly" in a constant state of maintenance. And it's not that dated. Everything depends on the quality of the design. A tunnel at Claiborne wouldn't be underwater, so that is an advantage. But if these things can't be built the right way in New Orleans, then I have to agree with you.....why waste the time and money. If thoroughly thought out like most major cities in the US when designing major heavily used expressways, it could work. It could be prefabed in sections and installed one section at a time. Not being an air tight container like a casket, it wouldn't pop up out of the ground during heavy rain storms. Friction piles would keep it from sinking under it's own weight, land subsidence could be a problem but that area of Orleans has little subsidence per: http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=6623.

It's Just a thought on improving the neighborhood with the expressway below grade and a nicely rebuilt well landscaped surface Claiborne Ave above the tunnel........if it's an impossible idea, or not worth the expense, then certainly scrap it!

LAND SUBSIDENCE RATE IN NEW ORLEANS, LA Last figure should read: -1.79 - 1.30 (typo)

Last edited by nola3; Oct 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 6:07 PM
life is good

City seeks master tenant for renewed St. Roch Market
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...t.+Roch+Market
Quote:
The market includes 6,800-square-feet of leasable space with about a dozen vendor stalls in the front of the building. It also includes kitchen and restaurant space, along with outdoor seating.
The building is being left as a “white box,” meaning the interior will stay mostly unfinished and prepped for tenant improvements outside of upgrades made in the renovation. This allows for a variety of uses including the sale of fresh seafood, produce, meats, baked goods and prepared foods...
Lunch time anyone?
A new generation flips the script on traditional Vietnamese fare

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...tion-flips-the

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 11:41 PM
TL;DR

The St Roch market looks really good. I especially love the little plazas in front and back, with granite cobbles to boot.

(excuse the crappy wavy iphone image)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 12:09 AM
life is good

That is going to be an incredible amenity for that neighborhood.

Edit: what's the plan for the front of the market?

Volunteers of America unveils Tchoupitoulas Street riverfront development
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...pid=nwsltrhead

Quote:
The formerly vacant industrial buildings on Tchoupitoulas Street -- once home to Lykes Brothers Steamship shipping and a cotton press -- were transformed over the past year in a $19 million, mixed-use renovation project by Volunteers of America. On Wednesday, the group gathered to celebrate the project and officially unveil the work...

Last edited by Eightball; Oct 31, 2013 at 5:59 PM. Reason: Add article

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 6:07 PM

Quote:
The St Roch market looks really good. I especially love the little plazas in front and back, with granite cobbles to boot.

(excuse the crappy wavy iphone image)
I think the St. Roch market will be great provided the city finds the right operators. I know of only one group that has submitted a proposal to the city. Here is the link to their proposal: http://www.redmellon.com/projects/St-roch-market.html

I hope the link works. I think the group has a solid plan.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 8:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
I think the St. Roch market will be great provided the city finds the right operators. I know of only one group that has submitted a proposal to the city. Here is the link to their proposal: http://www.redmellon.com/projects/St-roch-market.html

I hope the link works. I think the group has a solid plan.
Looks good to me! wish i had some extra money right now because I would love to buy and renovate that blue two story across the street.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
That is going to be an incredible amenity for that neighborhood.

Edit: what's the plan for the front of the market?

Volunteers of America unveils Tchoupitoulas Street riverfront development
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...pid=nwsltrhead
Here's the tenant that's going into the 4,500sf commercial space in this development: http://www.goodeggs.com/nola

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 6:36 PM
life is good

Nice, looks like a great company. Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 2:59 PM
life is good

Cities a model for La. leaders
Working together is topic of conference

http://theadvocate.com/news/7486621-...a-model-for-la
Quote:
RLANDO — The frigidity that historically has characterized the relationship between New Orleans and Baton Rouge melted away Sunday as about 170 government, private-sector and nonprofit leaders from both metropolitan areas gathered in Orlando to explore opportunities for collaboration on economic development initiatives.

The 2013 Super Region Canvas, a partnership between the Baton Rouge Area Chamber and Greater New Orleans Inc., is a three-day conference that includes travel between Orlando and Tampa for seminars on how those cities and others in central Florida work together to improve the region’s digital media and health care industries and attack issues such as crime and poor transportation...
My take: interesting. We have already seen some BR - NOLA cooperation around the need for a rail link connecting the two cities. Hopefully that can happen sooner rather than later, and there can be additional cooperation. Really BR - NOLA is one region. They need much better connecting transit, though. Its really a shame how the state government in BR has typically been hostile to NO. Not too mention this extends to the University system, with UNO being treated like s**t in favor of LSU.

Edit: Ride New Orleans is live tweeting this conference if ya'll are interested in more.

Last edited by Eightball; Nov 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 5:10 PM
TL;DR

So... officials are learning how to improve the NO-BR region by studying Florida?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 7:32 PM
life is good

Lol!

Edit:
http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...f&e=8e019711ab
Quote:
Transit Week 2013
November 11 - 15, 2013
For NOLA Transit Week 2013, Ride New Orleans will shine a spotlight on transit and raise awareness about the role that transit plays in strengthening our regional economy and ensuring that all New Orleanians have access to opportunity.

Take part in Transit Week by:

Leaving your car or bike behind and trying a transit commute. Already riding? Keep at it!
Shining your own spotlight on transit by use the hashtag #TransitWeek to share your photos and experience on Twitter, Instagram and other social channels. Tag us as well @RideNewOrleans and three lucky winners will receive 31-day jazzy passes.
Coming to our kick-off party Monday, November 11th from 5pm to 8pm at Bellocq. Live music by the Little Makers and proceeds from transit-themed drinks go to support Ride's advocacy & organizing work.
Looking out for media stories on important transit issues to our region.

Last edited by Eightball; Nov 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 8:18 PM
-

Coroner, EMS expected to be in new offices in a year

After being consigned to temporary and unsuitable quarters since Hurricane Katrina, the city’s Emergency Medical Services and Coroner’s Office should be occupying a new, permanent building by this time next year, officials say.

Work on the $11.2 million, 37,000-square-foot building at Earhart Boulevard and South Claiborne Avenue began in July after years of delays caused by design, money and environmental remediation issues. Construction is expected to be completed by mid-October 2014, Deputy Mayor Cedric Grant said.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...expected-to-be

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 9:25 PM
-

New Details on Square Root, Opening January 2014

New Orleans City Business reports that chef Philip Lopez' upcoming Square Root is taking shape at 1800 Magazine in the LGD. Developer Nicholas Shay, a business partner in Root/owner of the Square Root building, says the restaurant "should be ready to open by January" 2014. After putting about $500k into renovations, and another $500k into restaurant equipment/"other components" Shay says the 3,700-square-foot building will house two completely different restaurant concepts over two floors. Here's the latest details on upcoming Square Root, per City Business:

· Downstairs level will have a horseshoe bar that seats 16 people with a chef in the center.
· Downstairs menu will feature a "dozen pre-planned, tapas-style dishes. "
· Upstairs will specialize in housemade charcuterie and cheeses, with a small-plates menu as well.
· "There will also be arrangements for small private events, which, he said, has been in demand at Root."
· The second floor has a "wraparound balcony with 600-square-feet of additional seating space."
· A third floor will have a wine room and office space.

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2013/...nuary-2014.php

Preview of Crescent Park in the Marigny:

New Orleans City Council member questions French Market Corp. management of Crescent Park

A key New Orleans City Council member on Monday questioned the French Market Corporation's ability to take over management of the new 1.4-mile Crescent Park, which is expected to open by the end of November.

Councilmember Kristin Gisleson Palmer said during a budget hearing that it might not be wise to hand over control of such a large facility to an organization that has gone through three executive directors in three years and is typically used to managing smaller properties like the Upper Pontalba Building and Dutch Alley.

"We don't want to set the corporation up for failure," said Palmer, who is vice president of the French Market Board. "There's been a lot of fluctuation there and we have to ensure there is the capacity to do this the correct way. I'm not sure it's there yet."

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._membe_21.html

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 10:54 PM
life is good

Thank goodness it's finally opening! This is a big deal for NO. I do think the concern around French Quarter Corp management of the park is valid.

Renovation complete at Gravier Street hotel
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...-street-hotel/
Quote:
HRI Lodging and Carey Watermark Investors Inc. announced today the completion of a $3.5 million renovation of the Hilton Garden Inn Hotel on Gravier Street...
The property at 821 Gravier St. was originally developed in 2004 by HRI as a conversion from the old Commerce Building, an empty office tower originally constructed in 1956 in the International Style. The hotel is situated on the 11th through 18th floors with 10 levels of parking below.

Last edited by Eightball; Nov 6, 2013 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 7:23 PM
-

Fulton Alley opening next week:

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 5:04 PM
life is good

As more people are killed in South Claiborne traffic, residents get angrier
http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ss...lled_in_s.html

Quote:
Residents are growing outraged about the increasing number of deaths along the stretch of South Claiborne Avenue between Louisiana and Napoleon avenues. Neighbors say that at least seven pedestrians have been killed in the area, and they blame both speeding drivers and a lack of streetlights.
My take: This car dependency is literally killing residents. As an interim solution, speed cameras need to be there asap, as well as strong NOPD presence.

http:// http://neworleanscitybusines...Orleans+babies
Oschner is putting the final touches on a 40 million dollar renovation...

Last edited by Eightball; Nov 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations