HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 12:20 PM

Anyone know what's going on with the old building across from the downtown Irving?

It's down to its foundation now, but they seem to be taking their sweet time deciding what to do next. Part of the foundation seems to be damaged (the west end of it), and the north side is very close to the sidewalk so I can see them taking their time there. But still, if they were to take out the foundation and fill it in, it seems to me they would have done that by now.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:43 PM

[QUOTE=Taeolas;7477440]Anyone know what's going on with the old building across from the downtown Irving?

It's down to its foundation now, but they seem to be taking their sweet time deciding what to do next. Part of the foundation seems to be damaged (the west end of it), and the north side is very close to the sidewalk so I can see them taking their time there. But still, if they were to take out the foundation and fill it in, it seems to me they would have done that by now.[/QUOTE

Swimming pool for the seniors

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
I hope council approves it. The city shouldn't be run by NIMBYism, and we have enough "nothing should ever happen" people in this province already.
I always get my back up a little when people claim that Fredericton is 'so uptight' for this reason or that reason. I think a portion of people in Fredericton are uptight just as they are in any town. But the biggest growth industry in the region right now is beer (and related events involving drinking in public places - beerfest, spirit festival, etc), a heritage building is being transformed into a brewery, and the single biggest event the city does involves turning the whole of downtown into a giant blues bar. I don't think those things happen if the city, as a whole, is universally uptight.

I think most of the downtown dwellers, and Rabbit Towners specifically are ok with development and of course they want it done right. Most would agree densification and increased walkability and local services would be a good thing. With regards to the Harness NB bar - some if it is no doubt straight up NIMBYism - however, there is a moral aspect as to what you want in your backyard. Many people, myself included, feel that machines designed for the expressed purpose of separating people from their money used to support an industry that is not sustainable without them is not something we really want anywhere in the city (I don't live in that neighbourhood). That has a role to play in this in my opinion. If they wanted to put a neighboorhood pub in that spot, it may not have universal support but I certainly would. We need more neighbourhood pubs and I'd love one in my backyard, literally or figuratively.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 6:28 PM

Video-lottery lounge zoning rejected by Fredericton committee

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...cted-1.3638043

What a joke. The reasons cited by the opponents are laughable.

Quote:
Roberta Nixon, the executive director of Horse Racing New Brunswick, said the planned establishment on Aberdeen Street would not be a betting-focused establishment.

It's not our foremost raison d'etre. It simply is a component," said Nixon.

Some residents of the area argued that gambling would be the primary focus of the bar.
This is the planning equivalent of "Nuh-uh!" "Ya-uh!". Absolutely childlike.

Maybe Council will at least think of a valid reason when it's inevitably voted down.

Last edited by Franco401; Jun 17, 2016 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 6:43 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
I hope council approves it. The city shouldn't be run by NIMBYism, and we have enough "nothing should ever happen" people in this province already.
Chris Eaton or Lordtridus, I really think you should have ran for city council you would have been a good pick, I would have tossed you my vote

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 8:28 PM

Dr Devon well said. Id respond but obviously you are smarter then me. So to avoid looking stupid I wont . Have a great weekend everyone.
Peace out

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Anyone know what's going on with the old building across from the downtown Irving?

It's down to its foundation now, but they seem to be taking their sweet time deciding what to do next. Part of the foundation seems to be damaged (the west end of it), and the north side is very close to the sidewalk so I can see them taking their time there. But still, if they were to take out the foundation and fill it in, it seems to me they would have done that by now.
Would suspect that development will take place. No plans yet to PAC but I am assuming that something will surface soon otherwise they would have already filled in the basement.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 1:24 AM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 3:33 AM

Any news of an Irving Gas Bar / Burger King on the new Marysville bypass ??

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Chris Eaton or Lordtridus, I really think you should have ran for city council you would have been a good pick, I would have tossed you my vote
You know, I feel weird having my own personal fan club around here.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Devon View Post
I always get my back up a little when people claim that Fredericton is 'so uptight' for this reason or that reason. I think a portion of people in Fredericton are uptight just as they are in any town. But the biggest growth industry in the region right now is beer (and related events involving drinking in public places - beerfest, spirit festival, etc), a heritage building is being transformed into a brewery, and the single biggest event the city does involves turning the whole of downtown into a giant blues bar. I don't think those things happen if the city, as a whole, is universally uptight.
The city as a whole might not be "uptight", but it (and the province as a whole) have a strong contingent of anti-everything people. It's a running joke of mine that the unofficial provincial slogan is "Not In This Place".

Just look at the farce with Odell Park and frisbee golf. Someone wants to do something new in the park? Can't have that! Form a committee!

Quote:
I think most of the downtown dwellers, and Rabbit Towners specifically are ok with development and of course they want it done right. Most would agree densification and increased walkability and local services would be a good thing. With regards to the Harness NB bar - some if it is no doubt straight up NIMBYism - however, there is a moral aspect as to what you want in your backyard. Many people, myself included, feel that machines designed for the expressed purpose of separating people from their money used to support an industry that is not sustainable without them is not something we really want anywhere in the city (I don't live in that neighbourhood). That has a role to play in this in my opinion. If they wanted to put a neighboorhood pub in that spot, it may not have universal support but I certainly would. We need more neighbourhood pubs and I'd love one in my backyard, literally or figuratively.

It's not a "moral stand" if you don't want it in your backyard but are fine with it somewhere else in the city. That's the definition of NIMBY.

A moral stand would be pushing for the removal of VLTs everywhere in the city (and maybe the province) because of how terrible the things are. If they wanted to do that? I wouldn't mind a whole lot. VLTs are dangerous things. (I also don't give a fig about horse racing and really don't know why it gets special treatment in terms of being allowed to survive with special access to VLTs that other businesses can't get, but that's politics.)

Trouble is that to get rid of VLTs for real, you have to go after more things, including at least one "neighborhood pub" (Cannon's Cross has a few VLTs in the back, and it's in a primarily residential area, or at least it did last time I was there, all the construction has kept me away lately). If they want to actually do that, go for it... but I haven't got the time of day for NIMBYs.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 1:10 PM

That location on Aberdeen is actually the perfect location for a neighborhood pub. A few blocks from the downtown core, close to a lot of employers to entice the lunch crowd but still in a primarily residential neighborhood. I could see a pub doing quite well there.

I think it might be a bit challenging to establish the proposed business as a neighborhood pub because people would assume the primary focus is horse racing and gambling, not food and drink.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcav View Post
I don't think it could be on the bypass itself since I believe it is a controlled access highway. There is already a new gas station at the Penniac Road exit.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcav View Post
I had heard it's going up at the top of bridge street and might have an NB liquor agency store in it too.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 2:40 PM

I agree Tridus you should run for council. That's two votes. If were all in the same riding.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin6463 View Post
I had heard it's going up at the top of bridge street and might have an NB liquor agency store in it too.
To many church's in Mary's Ville to allow a liquor store.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
It's not a "moral stand" if you don't want it in your backyard but are fine with it somewhere else in the city. That's the definition of NIMBY.
I think you catch my drift but just to be clear I am not fine with it somewhere else in the city. Again, I don't think a bar that exists primarily for VLTs to support an unsustainable industry belongs anywhere in the city. But I'm no crusader. This will be the extent of my action on the matter

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Devon View Post
I think you catch my drift but just to be clear I am not fine with it somewhere else in the city. Again, I don't think a bar that exists primarily for VLTs to support an unsustainable industry belongs anywhere in the city. But I'm no crusader. This will be the extent of my action on the matter
Yep, I get it. That's an entirely respectable position.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin6463 View Post
There's work of some kind going on in that area, but what they're doing right now is actually on the bypass more than it is on Bridge Street. Probably close enough that they could extend access to Bridge Street, though.

I don't know if this is what that work is or if it's unrelated.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 9:27 PM

Quote:
There's work of some kind going on in that area, but what they're doing right now is actually on the bypass more than it is on Bridge Street. Probably close enough that they could extend access to Bridge Street, though.

I don't know if this is what that work is or if it's unrelated.
Re the speculated gas bar and agency store....Did I miss something? Would have thought this would go through PAC and council before any work would start..assuming the project is a go?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces