HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 2:47 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Fredericton is developing a new municipal plan and they've launched a web site about it: http://imaginefredericton.ca

There's a launch event next week at the convention centre: http://imaginefredericton.ca/events/
Ill be there anyone else plan on going ?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 5:47 PM
Any where but Fredericton

June 14th 6pm – 8pm At the Convention center. I think I might attend.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:14 PM

RE Starbucks the proposed location near Tim Horton's is one of the sits for the New Playhouse project and the possibility of the site being selected COULD have had something to do with Starbucks not building there yet.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
RE Starbucks the proposed location near Tim Horton's is one of the sits for the New Playhouse project and the possibility of the site being selected COULD have had something to do with Starbucks not building there yet.
I'm pretty sure the Starbucks construction predates the Playhouse project details. Besides, just because it was chosen as a potential site doesn't mean there were any formal talks with Irving about acquiring that land.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:33 PM

Yeah, the remodel and Starbux rumours started soon after Quiznos pulled out.

That the Playhouse needed replacing wasn't for a year or so after that IIRC. And as is, I'm pretty sure the city is preferring the City Hall/riverfront location over the old bus station location at this point. But nothing's decided yet. (or at least nothing is announced yet)

I wonder, and I know we're a long long ways away from needing to worry about it; but what will they do with the Playhouse spot once the new one is built? For the short term, I could see it as a park/courtyard for the convention centre; maybe space for exhibitors to set up outside for shows inside the centre. Definitely NOT a parking lot (especially with the parking garage next door).

Eventual long term? I'd say leave the space open for the Convention Centre. In 10-15 years maybe they'll be looking to expand and that would be good room to do that.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:52 PM

The Playhouse could also be sold to a private entity and continue to be used as a performance space for smaller events.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 8:24 PM

Quote:
The Playhouse could also be sold to a private entity and continue to be used as a performance space for smaller events.
From the way they described it, the current building might not be worth saving. Maybe in the short-medium term it is still useable, but the costs to bring it up to modern spec so to speak would be prohibitive. That's why the City's looking for a new Playhouse.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
From the way they described it, the current building might not be worth saving. Maybe in the short-medium term it is still useable, but the costs to bring it up to modern spec so to speak would be prohibitive. That's why the City's looking for a new Playhouse.
Part of the issue is that upgrading it results in a much smaller seating capacity. Without adding an elevator you lose the balcony. But a different owner might not need to perform those upgrades, especially if they buy it for a nominal price. It has been suggested that it could be sold to Theatre NB for $1.

I think that publicly owned buildings typically have higher standards for accessibility and things like that, so it's possible that a different owner could work with what is already there.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 12:40 PM

Any property that was owned by Irving is probably contaminated. The spot next to the Nashwalk and the Saint John Rivers is.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:12 AM

This has been discussed before but has anyone heard where the new Uptown NBLC store will be? i had heard the Corbett Centre but according to the original tender notice they require 13K sqft by August 31, 2016.

"Commodity Bid Matching
Rent & Lease
Tender Details

TENDER #P15-31
LEASED PREMISES
UPTOWN FREDERICTON, NB
Tenders are invited and shall be received up to 1:30:00 p.m., January 7, 2016 for a 13,000
(+/-) sq. ft. leased retail premise in the Bishop Drive/Arnold Drive/Knowledge Park Drive
areas of Fredericton, NB. The required facilities also involve related parking and
transport truck access space. The facilities are to be substantially completed by August
31, 2016.
A Bid Security in the amount of $5,000 shall accompany each tender.
Tender documents may be obtained from the "Receptionist", Alcool NB Liquor, 170 Wilsey
Road, PO Box 20787, Fredericton, NB E3B 5B8 (452-6826).
ANBL reserves the right not to accept the lowest, highest, or any tender received.
www.anbl.com"

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 12:44 AM

Little Caesars on Main St planned opening date is June 20th

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
This has been discussed before but has anyone heard where the new Uptown NBLC store will be? i had heard the Corbett Centre but according to the original tender notice they require 13K sqft by August 31, 2016.
I don't think there's room in the Corbett Centre. Doubt they are opening anything by the end of the summer.

The new Vietnamese restaurant is open downtown. I forget the name but I had lunch there yesterday and it was very good.

Also, looks like foundation work is ongoing for the townhouses on McLeod Ave.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 2:28 AM

Quote:
I don't think there's room in the Corbett Centre. Doubt they are opening anything by the end of the summer.

The new Vietnamese restaurant is open downtown. I forget the name but I had lunch there yesterday and it was very good.

Also, looks like foundation work is ongoing for the townhouses on McLeod Ave.
I was told recently that the NBLC store was going in where Hallmark is plus the adjacent space. That Rio Can wants to move Hallmark to another location. Unless they are staying put I can't think of another location in the uptown that would meet their needs and be available on their timeline

I believe the restaurant is Damda?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
I was told recently that the NBLC store was going in where Hallmark is plus the adjacent space. That Rio Can wants to move Hallmark to another location. Unless they are staying put I can't think of another location in the uptown that would meet their needs and be available on their timeline
No way that's happening, that space is only ~7500 sq ft. I think they're staying put for now.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 1:27 PM

Quote:
No way that's happening, that space is only ~7500 sq ft. I think they're staying put for now.
Isn't there an empty spot next to the card store?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
Isn't there an empty spot next to the card store?
That includes the empty space.

Looking here, the empty space is 4k and Hallmark is 3.5k.

That said, if they're set on a 10k footprint, that space should be trivial to expand to add another 3k or so easily.

Or the footprint for the last "Future Retail" pad might be expandable to 10k as well; currently it's got 7k allocated for it and if they take out the side parking, they would have more than enough room for a 10k store. If NBLC were to move into there, I think that is where they would want to go.

As for Hallmark moving, looking at the floor plans, I'm not sure where they could move. Deluxe is the biggest available space, and it's only 2k. I'm not sure Hallmark would want to downsize that much. If Thai Manao would move over by 1, then the space would be close to Hallmark's current size, but that is a lot of address moving.

*Edit* For some reason I thought NBLC wanted 10k not 13k as I now see up above.

The space next to Home Sense is way too small for their target sizes then, even if they were to expand. Even the available retail pad would be tight to expand to the 13k requirements.

All in all, I suspect the ideal option they would be hoping for, is for "Bishop Centre" to be officially announced, with Sobeys and/or Walmart anchoring, and the Cinemas and NBLC moving in as well. Other than the Target location in Uptown, there doesn't seem to be that much space available in a retail centre left in the Uptown area.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 2:07 PM

Speculation Time.

I'm just following a train of thought from the previous post, but it's distinct, hence its own post.

Assuming "Bishop Centre" is built, and it gets some of the stores we (I?) am theorizing; namely Sobeys, Walmart Supercentre, Cineplex and the NBLC store; how would that affect Regent and Uptown Centres?

Both would have huge holes in their floorplans at that point. For Uptown, it would mean both ends are empty; a tough situation to fill in.

The Cinema space in Regent likely wouldn't be *too* difficult to fill. There are some medium sized stores that could probably move up into that space eventually.

Walmart would be a tougher nut to crack. The dreamworld situation would be to see the Bay move in. Anchored by Sears at one end and the Bay at the other would have been ideal in the 80's/90's, but both chains are in a rough spot in the new century, so that may not be as good a situation as you might want. Still, the Bay is probably the best option if Regent can lure them in.

For Uptown Centre, with huge empty spaces at both ends; I'm not sure what they could do. Subdividing the spaces would be mandatory, but without the constant draws of the grocery and liquor stores, it would be in dire straits. And you can be sure that Staples would be counting down the days until they could claim a spot in "Bishop Centre". Marks would likely be quick to jump if they could too. Whoever owns Uptown Centre had better be ready to offer some sweet incentives to keep what they have, and to lure new stores in. Redeveloping the entire lot might be one possibility to consider; but ultimately it has to stay retail; the location doesn't really support anything else in that area.

So any other thoughts/theories/ideas for what might be happening for the future of the Uptown Retail heart of the city?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 9:16 PM

My sense is that Regent mall would recover to eventually fill the vacant space. I saw or read an article a year or two ago from the Regent owners saying that there was a pent-up demand for space in this market. That many of those stores waiting to come in require larger footprints than what they are currently able to offer.

Uptown is another story. Breaking up the space into smaller units would be a requirement. Also expect space to take longer to fill up than Regent. Could result in some "deals" for new tenants as both facilities scrabble for the A+ clients

Bottom line though is that this would be good for the region. I do agree though that something is up re a possible "Bishop Centre"

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 4:14 PM

Steel work going up at the Princess Auto site

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 7:25 PM

As expected, the new lottery lounge is where Winners Sports Lounge is looking to move to get away from the Exhibition Grounds.

Video lottery lounge move opposed by some Fredericton residents

Quote:
People living near the site of a proposed new facility featuring multiple video lottery terminals in Fredericton are trying to muster opposition to the project.

Horse Racing New Brunswick has applied for a zoning change for 444 Aberdeen Street that would allow it to operate a "drinking establishment" with VLTs and offer simulcast horse races to gamblers.

City planners are recommending the zoning change be approved.
From the sounds of it, some people are grumbling about it; but I suspect it will ultimately be approved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces