HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 6:32 AM

The controversial (at least on this board) hotel that would abut the Whole Foods is not happening: http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=CUP15-00076

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 3:14 PM
not a cynic

I'm not sure where you're seeing that.

Here's a memo dated Nov 30:

Quote:

Background:

The applicant is seeking a conditional use permit for a 5-story, approximately 65,000 square foot hotel with 106 rooms on a 1.7 acre parcel located at 350 E. Myrtle Street in an R-ODD (Residential Office with Downtown Design Review) zone.

Request / Recommendation

The applicant has requested additional time to work through changes to the design and parking configuration of the project.

The Planning Team recommends the Commission defer consideration of the applications until January 4, 2016

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 3:45 PM

^^^^^ this

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
I'm not sure where you're seeing that.

Here's a memo dated Nov 30:

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 6:40 PM

Here is the final plan for the grove plaza: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e47337790.html

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 11:27 PM
Closed account

Jump

https://www.facebook.com/jumpboise/?fref=ts

JUMP Plans for a December Opening

Boise, Idaho – The Treasure Valley community will get a first look at JUMP – Jack’s Urban Meeting Place – when the project, created by the JR Simplot Foundation, Inc. opens its doors with community open houses in early December.

The open houses, which are scheduled from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 13th, 20th and 27th will provide an opportunity for the community to start experiencing the uniqueness of the project and the scope of the opportunities JUMP will bring to the community. The lobby, with its entrance located below the large orange JUMP sign near 9th Street, will be open to the public starting Dec. 15 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday to Friday but will not be open on the upcoming holidays.

“We are opening the doors so the community can experience and explore our building and learn about our vision and charitable mission, which will be driven by integrating the passion of our community directly into our programming,” said Maggie Soderberg, JUMP’s executive director.
JUMP, located between 9th and 11th and Front and Myrtle streets, has been an anticipated yet mysterious project for many in the greater Boise area. Commuters who drive by everyday see the tall JUMP sign above a larger-than-life vintage tractor.

Soderberg said interior construction of JUMP is virtually complete, which will allow for the commencement of initial programming and events. The community will be invited to participate in community programs, classes, workshops and events in this program-driven space during the initial winter hours while work will continue on some of the external projects, including onsite parking, which isn’t available yet. Work will also continue on the park and external features and park amenities.

JUMP is home to a number of creative studios co-mingling together where activities and programs will become a regular occurrence for those in the greater Boise area.

There is a “studio” that boasts a fully equipped modern kitchen that could be used for cooking classes, cooking competitions, and community gatherings. There is a studio full of tools for makers, both traditional tools and modern ones like a 3D Printer. There is a media studio with cameras, green screens and editing bays and there is peaceful dance studio that overlooks the park and a studio for brainstorming with large groups.

All of the studios are connected by inspiring terraces and inviting walkways. There will be an amphitheater, lawns, rooftop gardens, a play structure, a five story slide and a large pathway that seamlessly connects Boise’s Greenbelt to the Downtown district. Inside JUMP is an inviting lobby and two large event spaces.

“JUMP was developed with the guiding philosophy that we all have something meaningful to contribute and that you can achieve things you didn’t think were possible,” Soderberg said. “There is no other building like JUMP in Boise or anywhere else and the best way to understand what JUMP is all about is to experience it for yourself.”

Displayed throughout the JUMP building and site are dozens of vintage tractors that were purchased for the JR Simplot Foundation, Inc. by the late J.R. “Jack” Simplot, founder of the J.R. Simplot Company. In fact, the building is a tribute to Simplot whose entrepreneurial spirit helped build one of the world’s most successful agribusiness companies.

“The tractors are innovation made visible. This is the kind of thinking that will carry America forward,” said Scott Simplot, J.R.’s son and Simplot Company Chairman.

The goal of JUMP is to create an environment for inspiring human potential.

“With the essential community interaction and feedback, JUMP will continue working on developing inspirational programs, events, workshops, and festivals” said Kathy O’Neill, JUMP community engagement director. “Our vision is for each of us - young and old alike – to be inspired, try new things, learn from each other and expand our imaginations.”

(208) 860-1792 or Kathy.ONeill@jumpboise.org

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:20 AM
Closed account

The Grove Plaza

The new look in 2016 for the plaza:

CCDC just released new renderings to the press.
Renderings from Idaho Statesman and KTVB

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Dec 2, 2015 at 6:24 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 2:15 AM

Hi all, I've been lurking for awhile now and decided it was time to join in on the conversation.
Following the Grove topic, I noticed this RFP from the Auditorium District had a rendering of the new concourse in it. It looks like they cut the wood elements.

Rendering from the Greater Boise Auditorium District and ZGA

Here is the full RFP:
http://boiseauditorium.com/pdf/RFP/2...rtationRFP.pdf

Last edited by TVurban; Dec 2, 2015 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 2:00 AM

Regarding the Grove Plaza renovation.

Are you sure they cut the wood??? I hope they did..

The wood doesn't really make sense for that region.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakor21 View Post
Regarding the Grove Plaza renovation.

Are you sure they cut the wood??? I hope they did..

The wood doesn't really make sense for that region.
I'm not certain but the construction documents attached in the RFP look fairly complete. I'm assuming that the rendering will be close to what gets built.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 6:29 PM
All man. Half nuts.

personally, i like the wood. i think it looks too bland without it. it's not a make-or-break for me, though.

i'm a tad disappointed that the fountain design didn't change much. i've always liked the raised fountains/pools in europe, but i understand that they want to keep the plaza open for concerts and other events.

sure seems like we hit a bit of a lull after all the hotel proposals this summer. i wonder if there will be a pleasant surprise this winter of a new office building or something taller than 10 stories...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 5:42 AM
Closed account

The grove plaza

It seems the renderings I posted on Dec 1 are the final design.

http://www.ccdcboise.com/thegroveplazarenovationdesign/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 5:33 PM

I'm not totally sold on the "final design" of the Grove Plaza as the ultimate solution..

But maybe it will look better once completed I don't know.. What do others think??

I feel like the 'wood' elements somehow offset the structures that they are attached to and doesn't provide a continuous vibe..

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 9:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not totally sold on the "final design" of the Grove Plaza as the ultimate solution..

But maybe it will look better once completed I don't know.. What do others think??

I feel like the 'wood' elements somehow offset the structures that they are attached to and doesn't provide a continuous vibe..
The structures they are attached to are unattractive and at this point, anything would be an improvement. I don't mind the wood; it looks modern to me and not at all out of place in the design.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 2:35 AM
Closed account

Quote:

The entrance to the convention center would now be framed to catch your eyes, and with banners and lighting is an improvement to a now boring building. It seems the trend is glaring billboards in other cities, and I don't mind the wood touch as it softens the look.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 3:09 AM
Closed account

Views from jump

Dec 6,2015
Photos from 2nd floor terrace from JUMP

Downtown buildings

Looking east down Broad St

The view up 10th St from pioneer staircase

More photos:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...169661&page=57

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Dec 14, 2015 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 4:01 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Jack's Urban Meeting Place.
I'm going to post a lot more in my Fall thread. It is not Winter yet There are two more weeks of Autumn.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 4:14 AM

Great pictures Architecture Buff and Sawtooth! JUMP is going to be such an asset to our city as the new HQ reaches completion and the new hotels on the plot just west of JUMP are built. Has anyone heard anything new about the planned Gardner hotels since the first renderings came out a few months ago? Also, the more I see Gardner's new City Center building reach completion, the more I like it.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:33 PM

I just noticed the Christmas tree is not on top of the US bank this year. That's the first time I can remember that happening. Anyone know why?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:01 PM
All man. Half nuts.

i wondered the same thing about the tree. i thought maybe since Gardner now owns that building, they're letting the Zion's color LED lights be the city's holiday feature instead of the tree. not sure.

BTW, Idaho Business Review has a good article about the new grove plaza, with a lot more detail. i'd recommend reading it if you have a subscription.

also, it looks like CWI is moving ahead with purchasing the 10 acres downtown to build their urban campus. i'm hoping they go with the vertical concept.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:16 PM

The tree is not on top of US Bank due to the tower crane for City Center Plaza.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West