HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 5:02 PM

Excellent news! (Always nice to see another surface lot bite the dust as well...)

I didn't know the streetcar was originally supposed to cut through the site. What happened there? I'm going to guess the parking was too lucrative to give up at the time...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:34 PM

That block was originally planned for the Oregon Sustainability Center that proved too be far too expensive.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
It would be nice to have the streetcar run through the building as was originally planned years ago. Great place for a station and also cleans up the mess on 4th and Montgomery streets.
anyone aware of who the architect is for this effort?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerBeav View Post
That block was originally planned for the Oregon Sustainability Center that proved too be far too expensive.

Ah. I have heard of this but I'm not very knowledge about it since it had came and went before I became interested in Portland development.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
anyone aware of who the architect is for this effort?
According to the DJC (behind paywall):

Quote:
Bora Architects has done some preliminary design work for the project, Effros said.

A request for proposals for a design firm will be posted in April, and design work is slated to begin in July. The team is aiming to break ground in 2018.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:12 AM

Updated story:

Quote:
Portland colleges, city tout new $100 million academic building in downtown

Portland State University struck out in 2015 when it asked state lawmakers for $17 million to help build a new home for the Graduate School of Education. But the upside did not become apparent until Monday.

That's when PSU President Wim Wiewel revealed a bigger and bolder vision for the city-owned parking lot on the edge of campus, and the new partnerships that would make it happen: A $100 million hub for public health, education and city services.

The new tower at Southwest Fourth Avenue and Montgomery Street, is expected to open by 2020. It brings PSU, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland Community College and the city together in an effort that wasn't certain less than a year ago.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Ah. I have heard of this but I'm not very knowledge about it since it had came and went before I became interested in Portland development.
Here's a link to SERA's blurb about it - my firm was actually looking at being a tenant in the building for a while. Was a nice idea but impractical - rental rates in order to make it pencil out were going to be extreme.

http://seradesign.com/projects/orego...bility-center/

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 8:36 PM

Karl Miller Center

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 7:17 PM

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 7:36 PM

Drawings [PDF - 45 MB] for the Neuberger Hall renovation.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:48 PM

Quote:
PSU heads down the home stretch on its new School of Business Administration center (Photos)

In the old days of MBAs, students would come to class, sit through lectures and then leave.

But these days, there's much more collaboration that goes on. It's a much more team-oriented approach. Students work together on projects, and after their classes are done, they stick around and continue collaborating — assuming they have a place to do that.

At Portland State University's old School of Business Administration building, there was no such place. But in the forthcoming Karl Miller Center, students will not only have plenty of room for collaboration — there will be 21 classrooms and 12 team rooms — but simply more room in general.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:08 AM

Karl Miller Center

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Jordan Schnitzer gives PSU $5 million for art museum in downtown Portland

Jordan Schnitzer, the Portland real estate developer and philanthropist, will give $5 million to Portland State University to open an art museum in the heart of campus.

The school and the Portland native announced the gift during a Thursday morning news conference. The 7,500-square-foot art museum will bear Schnitzer's name and occupy parts of two floors of Neuberger Hall.

PSU is planning a $70 million renovation of the building, backed by $60 million in state bonds approved by the Oregon Legislature in 2015. Construction is expected to begin this summer and finish in 2019. The school still needs to raise another $5 million from donors to pay for the project.

In an interview, Schnitzer said he's familiar with the building from his drives along Southwest Broadway through campus. "It's pretty dismal going by that concrete bunker," he said in an interview. "It looks like a prison."

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:26 AM
A before E

That is awesome, PSU is really feeling like it is becoming more and more like a legitimate university.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 10:24 PM

On Prosper Portland [PDC] agenda for Wednesday:

Quote:
Action Item: Authorizing the Executive Director to Amend the Disposition and Development Agreement with Portland State University for Redevelopment of Multiple Properties within the University District Area and University Place Site

Report 17-23
Resolution 7239

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Portland State building gets $51 million in state bonds

The Oregon Legislature has approved $51 million in state bonds for a new academic building on Portland State's campus.

The previously announced $100 million project will house the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health, Portland State's Graduate School of Education and Portland Community College's dental programs.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 9:51 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
SW 4th & Montgomery... That means this will be right across the street from the HUB project (whatever it's named these days), correct? That's fantastic! They'll both be going up at the same time. What a wonderful change for that section of town.

Quote:
The building, expected to open in 2020, will house the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health, Portland State's Graduate School of Education and PCC's dental programs. It also will be home to a city bureau.
...from a previous PBJ article about this building.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
PSU gets $5 million for Neuberger Hall renovation from biggest donor

Fariborz Maseeh already has his name on one building at Portland State University, and now the mechanical engineer, philanthropist and entrepreneur is donating millions to help the downtown campus transform another.

Maseeh, the founder and president of the Massiah Foundation, will give his alma mater $5 million to renovate Neuberger Hall. According to its website, the Massiah Foundation makes philanthropic investments in education, the arts and health-related causes.

PSU announced the gift at a news conference Thursday morning. The gift is the final piece needed to move forward with the $70 million project.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 4:20 AM
A before E

They continue to make me jealous of what the campus is becoming. So much better looking than when I went there.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 2:08 PM

Man that will look soooooooooo much nicer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland