HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 1:42 AM
Round Head

No actual Flames flan could ever cheer for the Canucks. The only acceptable circumstance is if the Canucks are playing a team that needs to lose to benefit the Flames.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 4:33 AM
REALTOR

HOly crap! I'm not going to Flames Central again, it's not become "Meh-whatever Central".

All I can say to the Flames fans cheering for vancouver is, imagine a Sedin raising the cup, and kesler getting the conn smyth. And all the while, IGINLA is sitting at home, Pissed off!

How can a true Flames fan justify those donkey's getting a cup before IGINLA. (Yes, i yell IGINLA'S name even when i'm just having a normal conversation)

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 5:30 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
No actual Flames flan could ever cheer for the Canucks. The only acceptable circumstance is if the Canucks are playing a team that needs to lose to benefit the Flames.
I'd say I'm an 'actual' Flames fan, but I'm cheering (albeit a little reluctantly) for the Canucks. Better them win it than Tampon Bay again (because it looks to me like Boston is going to find a way to blow another series).

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 2:25 PM

I think I'll have to cheer for Vancouver over Tampa Bay, that or I'll watch baseball, can't decide which is worse at this point.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 2:34 PM
City of Blinding Lights

It's odd, we just don't have the same allegiances in sport as they do in, Soccer for example. I am a huge Manchester United supporter and cheering for the Canucks woul dbe like me cheering for Chelsea or Arsenal.

My wife finds it shocking that I have such hatred for the Canucks. The keyboardist in my band mocks me for not supporting a Canadian team.

No fucking chance!

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 4:28 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
It's odd, we just don't have the same allegiances in sport as they do in, Soccer for example. I am a huge Manchester United supporter and cheering for the Canucks woul dbe like me cheering for Chelsea or Arsenal.
I'm a Man U fan as well, but I would cheer for other English clubs in the Champions League, especially is they're playing Barca.

I'll never cheer for the Canucks or Oilers. If the Taliban had a team and were playing against the Canucks, I'd probably cheer for the Taliban.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 4:59 PM

I played sports all my life and do like to watch, but I never understood why people had such a hate on for other teams, or how they picked teams they like that were not their home team, anyone care to share some insight?

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 5:16 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
I played sports all my life and do like to watch, but I never understood why people had such a hate on for other teams, or how they picked teams they like that were not their home team, anyone care to share some insight?
Well, I'll never cheer for our biggest rivals (so Edmonton and Vancouver are on the hate list). I'd have a hard time cheering for Colorado, since they've been so dominant in the NW ever since moving to Denver.

As for teams I like, it gets more complicated, and is probably different for everybody.

Blackhawks - I like the players, the city, the jerseys, the fans; my favourite American team.

Canadiens
- I liked them more a couple years ago, but some of the SSP Montrealers have changed that a little. They used to be my second favourite team, but that title probably goes to the Hawks now.

Sharks - I hate to see teams do so well for so long without getting anything out of it. I would have loved to see Thornton and Marleau shut people up. The first sentence does not apply to the Canucks.

Penguins - Yeah, probably just Crosby, but Pittsburgh is a kick-ass city too.

Kings
- The Ducks are one of my least favourite American teams, so I've always sided with the Kings in the battle of LA. They're also fun to watch, and their black jerseys remind me of Darth Vader.

I could probably go on and rank all 30 teams, but these are the non-Flames clubs that I like the most.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 5:31 PM
Here and There

God, people will find a way to turn something positive into something negative whenever they can. Go Canucks.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 5:31 PM

Quote:
It's professional sports. There's no defensible logic to picking your favourite team or your least favourite. At the end of the day, none of it really makes much sense

Geography usually plays a role in picking favouites and league structure to picking rivals. Calgary plays against the teams in their division more often than the rest of the teams, and often is in more direct competition with them for playoff positioning. While that only applies to the regular season, the bad blood typically lingers. That's how rivalries develop.

Anyone but Vancouver.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 5:39 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
God, people will find a way to turn something positive into something negative whenever they can. Go Canucks.
How can you be sure you're not turning a negative into a positive?

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 5:50 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
No, I will not Go Canucks. It's not like I want the team to perish in a plane crash or arena fire, I just can't stomach the thought of them winning. Can't I have my natural emotional reaction? It's sports, that's what it's for.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
No, I will not Go Canucks. It's not like I want the team to perish in a plane crash or arena fire, I just can't stomach the thought of them winning. Can't I have my natural emotional reaction? It's sports, that's what it's for.
Amen.

Go Canucks? Go to hell is more like it.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 7:18 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Basically there are 2 camps of sports fans: those that pick teams based on their love of the sport itself (and therefore look at things like who's on the team, how much fun they are to watch, team history, jerseys, etc) and those that pick the team based on I WILL ONLY EVER BE A FAN OF TEAM X OR WILL NEVER BE A FAN OF TEAM Y AND ANYONE WHO DISAGREES IS A TRAITOR. Most homers generally fall into the latter category.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader as to which poster here falls into which category. Personally I find it completely hilarious to *solely* base your entire interest in sports on the completely arbitrary (and out of your control) location of your birth, but what do I know.

I also find the No True Scotsman logical fallacy fairly hilarious as well.

All that being said, *I* WILL NEVER BE A FAN OF THE LEAVES AND ANYONE WHO DISAGREES IS A TRAITOR. So sometimes you get confusing signals out of otherwise seemingly rational fans.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 7:31 PM
Round Head

I hate when people say they'll cheer for them because they're a Canadian team. Who cares? the NHL is not about a national team, the bragging rights are based on the cities they are located in. Vancouver being a Canadian team, makes me want to cheer for them even less because they are a regional rival. Go Tampa or Boston.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 7:36 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Basically there are 2 camps of sports fans: those that pick teams based on their love of the sport itself (and therefore look at things like who's on the team, how much fun they are to watch, team history, jerseys, etc) and those that pick the team based on I WILL ONLY EVER BE A FAN OF TEAM X OR WILL NEVER BE A FAN OF TEAM Y AND ANYONE WHO DISAGREES IS A TRAITOR. Most homers generally fall into the latter category.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader as to which poster here falls into which category. Personally I find it completely hilarious to *solely* base your entire interest in sports on the completely arbitrary (and out of your control) location of your birth, but what do I know.

I also find the No True Scotsman logical fallacy fairly hilarious as well.

All that being said, *I* WILL NEVER BE A FAN OF THE LEAVES AND ANYONE WHO DISAGREES IS A TRAITOR. So sometimes you get confusing signals out of otherwise seemingly rational fans.
But my interest in sports isn't based on the team I support or the city where I was born. I am more than happy to watch hockey, soccer, football, whatever the sport when "my" team isn't playing. I do just love the sport. I am just not going to rush out to support the team I don't support. Really i could care less.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 7:50 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Amen.

Go Canucks? Go to hell is more like it.
Quoted for mother fuckin' truth.

On another note:

If Boston loses tonight, you could say their season is... bruined YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 8:05 PM
Here and There

No one is rushing out to cheer for them in droves are they? I may watch their last games but wont be the one yelling BOOOOOO. That is the lamest thing in sports right now.

Im jut glad another Canadian team is in the final playoffs. Well, aren't all NHL teams mostly Canadian anyway?? lol

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 8:22 PM

Quote:
No one is rushing out to cheer for them in droves are they? I may watch their last games but wont be the one yelling BOOOOOO. That is the lamest thing in sports right now.

Im jut glad another Canadian team is in the final playoffs. Well, aren't all NHL teams mostly Canadian anyway?? lol
Well by that metric, the Canucks are one of the "least" Canadian, especially if you give any extra weight to their star players.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I hate when people say they'll cheer for them because they're a Canadian team. Who cares? the NHL is not about a national team, the bragging rights are based on the cities they are located in. Vancouver being a Canadian team, makes me want to cheer for them even less because they are a regional rival. Go Tampa or Boston.
Exactly, why anyone would suddenly expect you to cheer on your most bitter rival at a certain point on the calendar just because of nationality is ridiculous......especially when the team is full of Americans and Swedes. I might even be able to get over the players, but when you bring in the fans into it, it's a total no-go.

Normally, I would never cheer for Tampa (never forget 2004), but even I'm ready to put that aside the dislike for them to take down the Canucks. Sadly, I think the Canucks will steamroll over anyone who comes out of the East, but here's hoping they still have a shot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation