HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 6:04 AM
BANNED

The return of an NHL team to Winnipeg would be a HUGE morale boost for this city.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 6:23 AM
BANNED

^ My point was that MTS boxes are now relatively cheap by NHL standards, and in order for the NHL to work in Winnipeg all those boxes must be sold at a much higher rate than they are now. Questioning whether there is enough corporate support when there clearly wasn't in the last NHL go-around is hardly a stretch.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 6:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

how many box's did the old barn have?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 6:38 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ My point was that MTS boxes are now relatively cheap by NHL standards, and in order for the NHL to work in Winnipeg all those boxes must be sold at a much higher rate than they are now. Questioning whether there is enough corporate support when there clearly wasn't in the last NHL go-around is hardly a stretch.
Not that this is a representative statistic, but a good friend of mine works at a law firm that shares a box at the MTS centre. I asked him if rates doubled or even quadrupled for the NHL if he thought his firm would still pay for the box. He never even hesitated to say absolutely. His reasoning is that there is so much more "prestige" with the NHL compared to the AHL, that the price will be worth it for the majority of the box owners and the customers/clients that they "woo" with box tickets.

Either way rrskylar - why do we have to be stuck in 1995? Isn't it possible that things have changed (what for it...) for the better in Winnipeg over the last 15 years? Isn't it possible that there is more corporate money now than there was then?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 3:47 PM

Was there corporate money then, but no way to utilize it (i.e. no boxes to sell)? or were companies more conservative back then (when the economy wasn't what it is today). Was corporate support as prevalent in the NHL then as it is now? Was lack of corporate support the reason the NHL was not able to continue in Winnipeg back then? Was it instead an arena with 5000 obstructed seats which was unattracive to ticket buyers, or a WEM that held on to all monies generated from parking and concessions back then? There are many factors as to why the NHL left Winnipeg. Remember, Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa were all in the same boat as Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 3:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I agree with your position on the CMHR, but do you have to be negative towards every issue that may/may not benefit Winnipeg?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 3:18 AM
Heart of the Continent

Well, at least he's not being hypocritical. You like the NHL idea because you're biased towards it. You don't like the CMHR because you're biased against it. He just hates everything.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 3:40 AM

Quote:
rrskylar, Why do you ignore this fact (link to source) below? If you question this then you should question Edmonton and Ottawa of their corporate support for NHL !!

http://www.financialpost.com/magazine/fp500/list.html

canada's 800 largest corporations:

Winnipeg: 32 + 3 subsidiaries = 35
Edmonton: 25 + 1 subsidiary = 26
Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 7:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I agree with your position on the CMHR, but do you have to be negative towards every issue that may/may not benefit Winnipeg?
Did you stop and think how stupid this statement is, I think anyone with a brain would be negative against something that may not benefit their own city.

And is it such a sacrilege to question whether something (the NHL) that failed before might fail again. I am simply stating my opinion that Winnipeg may not have enough corporate support to keep a team. There hasn't exactly been a rush for anyone to bring a team back in the thirteen years since the Jets left.

And of course I would like the NHL to return, as much as I would like to see a vibrant downtown, rapid transit and a lot more growth in the private sector.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 7:28 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

our downtown is not dead

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 7:31 AM
BANNED

^ Your quite correct, on life support would be a more appropriate term.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 7:34 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

no its not

its alive and having breakfast the next decade is going to be a very good one for this city

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 7:47 AM
BANNED

^ Sure hope so

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 7:57 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

by 2015 we have a new tallest built or under construction...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 8:16 AM

Quote:
^ Your quite correct, on life support would be a more appropriate term.
Off topic but,

It's not even on life support. Could we do better? Ofcourse. But there is a lot of action going on downtown these days. New lofts and condos are opening and being filled. At capacity yet? Probably not, but I know people are moving into Fairchild, the Edge, etc, so it's a good sign. The Waterfront has been developed. CMHR is well underway. The downtown nightclub scene is booming. Restaurants like Tavern United and Moxies are doing very well for themselves. We have a brand new state of the art highrise that has brought many new workers to downtown. And then, the MTS center is among the busiest venues in North America.

Not bad for a downtown on life support, eh?

On topic: Go Jets Go!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 10:13 PM

Hey all

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 10:32 PM

Question Looking for names of possible ownership group

Hey all..I'm new to this site so perhaps you can answer this question. Do you know the names of the people involved in seeking out a team for Winnipeg?
Thanks in advance

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Did you stop and think how stupid this statement is, I think anyone with a brain would be negative against something that may not benefit their own city.

And is it such a sacrilege to question whether something (the NHL) that failed before might fail again. I am simply stating my opinion that Winnipeg may not have enough corporate support to keep a team. There hasn't exactly been a rush for anyone to bring a team back in the thirteen years since the Jets left.

And of course I would like the NHL to return, as much as I would like to see a vibrant downtown, rapid transit and a lot more growth in the private sector.
RRSKLAR- Still ignoring facts... !!! WHY ?? see my last post... Debate is over about corporate support and size of MTS Centre. OVER<OVER<OVER
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anni 62 View Post
Hey all..I'm new to this site so perhaps you can answer this question. Do you know the names of the people involved in seeking out a team for Winnipeg?
Thanks in advance
The strong rumour is David Thomson and Mark Chipman as the two main potential owners. They are both the majority owners of a company called True North which 100% owns MTS Centre.
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 3:57 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
rrskylar, Why do you ignore this fact (link to source) below? If you question this then you should question Edmonton and Ottawa of their corporate support for NHL !!

http://www.financialpost.com/magazine/fp500/list.html

canada's 800 largest corporations:

Winnipeg: 32 + 3 subsidiaries = 35
Edmonton: 25 + 1 subsidiary = 26
Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16
I think it has less to do with 'largest' corporations and more to do with 'corporations that like to shell out cash for hockey games'.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan