HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 1:43 AM
BANNED

Job boom predicted for Winnipeg

Manitoba is headed for a period of steady economic growth, according to a report issued Wednesday by Bank of Montreal.

In Winnipeg alone, the bank expects to see 12,000 new jobs created over the next three years. That would pull the jobless rate in the province's largest city down to five per cent, among the lowest in Canada.

The bank estimates Manitoba's economy will grow by two per cent this year, down from 2.7 per cent last year, but still better than the national average.

It says Manitoba's manufacturing sector is on the mend after falling seven per cent during the 2009 recession.

BMO says Manitoba's mining and energy sectors are also seeing strong momentum, though they are a relatively small part of the province's economy.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-manitoba.html

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:13 PM

Browaty to block big box
By David Larkins

A Winnipeg city councillor says a proposed 37-acre commercial development just north of the city will cause nothing but headaches and provide significant safety concerns for a quiet neighbourhood nearby.

Coun. Jeff Browaty (North Kildonan) said Thursday, if necessary, he intends to block the extension of Gateway Road to the city limits, the main artery that would lead into the proposed big-box development, which is officially located in the RM of East St. Paul. Browaty said Headmaster Row, a two-lane road that connects Lagimodiere Boulevard to Gateway Road, is not prepared to take on the significant increase in traffic.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/07/1...-block-big-box
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I don't spend a significant amount of time using the routes Jeff Browaty is speaking of, how much will this 37-Acre retail development affect the residential traffic patterns he's speaking of?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Browaty to block big box
By David Larkins

A Winnipeg city councillor says a proposed 37-acre commercial development just north of the city will cause nothing but headaches and provide significant safety concerns for a quiet neighbourhood nearby.

Coun. Jeff Browaty (North Kildonan) said Thursday, if necessary, he intends to block the extension of Gateway Road to the city limits, the main artery that would lead into the proposed big-box development, which is officially located in the RM of East St. Paul. Browaty said Headmaster Row, a two-lane road that connects Lagimodiere Boulevard to Gateway Road, is not prepared to take on the significant increase in traffic.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/07/1...-block-big-box
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I don't spend a significant amount of time using the routes Jeff Browaty is speaking of, how much will this 37-Acre retail development affect the residential traffic patterns he's speaking of?
Similar convo. going on in the construction thread. But there's no way to access the site without using residential streets or Gateway/Raleigh. Another point is this development is outside city limits. So why should the city bend over backwards only to destroy even more city streets with no tax dollars coming in.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Similar convo. going on in the construction thread. But there's no way to access the site without using residential streets or Gateway/Raleigh. Another point is this development is outside city limits. So why should the city bend over backwards only to destroy even more city streets with no tax dollars coming in.
Just noticed that..posts were almost at the same time. Makes sense both points. Residential streets turning in major connection routes to the proposed development located outside the city limits putting even more of a strain on city taxpayers.Thx Bomber.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 9:40 PM

Does anyone know where this oil terminal will be built. I assume near the TransCanada Highway near the MB border.

Alex Pourbaix, president of energy and oil pipelines for TransCanada, confirmed that an oil terminal and “a relatively significant investment associated with that” is planned for construction in southeastern Saskatchewan

http://metronews.ca/news/regina/7560...-saskatchewan/

Edit: apparently it will be at TransCanada's existing compressor station NE of Moosomin, straight north of Fleming.

Last edited by Stormer; Aug 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 10:40 PM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Sep 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 2:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

There is an oil terminal at Cromer, MB.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 6:01 PM

http://www.ckom.com/story/sk-premier...ne-news/124089

Well it's going to be in southeast sask somewhere, not Manitoba. Another quote from an article

We're going to build a terminal in south-east Saskatchewan with significant oil storage capability," said TransCanada's Alex Pourbaix during a media conference from Calgary. The location for that terminal hasn't been revealed yet.

Meaning it still has to be built, not a current terminal and it also sates the location has not been revealed. But as stormer said could be near an existing pump station by moosemin. I believe we could be looking at a a significant size tanker farm for the area.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 6:43 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
Well it's going to be in southeast sask somewhere, not Manitoba.
Yes, my mistake. The Cromer terminal is owned by Enbridge, TCP's competitor. TCP is fairly new to the business of shipping crude so one or more terminals are needed. As the article stated, this is very good for Sask.

IIRC I remember reading the Cromer terminal is being expanded to load railcars with crude.

“This is a non-renewable resource. We ought to optimize the value,” the premier said.

“We should get the best possible price for Saskatchewan people for their oil, so that we can build infrastructure, pay off debt and maybe keep taxes low.”

Must be nice to have an intelligent premier.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Yes, my mistake. The Cromer terminal is owned by Enbridge, TCP's competitor. TCP is fairly new to the business of shipping crude so one or more terminals are needed. As the article stated, this is very good for Sask.

IIRC I remember reading the Cromer terminal is being expanded to load railcars with crude.

“This is a non-renewable resource. We ought to optimize the value,” the premier said.

“We should get the best possible price for Saskatchewan people for their oil, so that we can build infrastructure, pay off debt and maybe keep taxes low.”

Must be nice to have an intelligent premier.
What is your impression of Selinger? My brother farms in SW Manitoba so you can fairly assume what his opinion is but since you are in the Winnipeg area you may have a different view.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 4:08 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
What is your impression of Selinger?
My opinion is the same as your brother's. If he farms, he uses his head, so I know his opinion is the same as mine. Selinger makes Rob Ford look like a Rhodes scholor.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 4:56 PM
Heart of the Continent

Selinger is getting pretty tired, and in 2015, it seems that the NDP will be ready for the boot.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 8:28 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
selinger is getting pretty tired, and in 2015, it seems that the ndp will be ready for the boot.
+1

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 4:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Selinger is getting pretty tired, and in 2015, it seems that the NDP will be ready for the boot.
Sellinger is about as bright and charismatic as a bar of soap, kinda show the quality of other NDP members in Manitoba if he could grasp the brass ring as party leader.

PS

Nice to see you back jmt!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
There is an oil terminal at Cromer, MB.
I found some material from June where TransCanada told people in Moosomin that the terminal would be NE of town and that they would build a feeder line from Cromer to bring Bakken oil in. Seems odd they would connect with Enbridge but a that is what they said.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 4:28 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Sellinger is about as bright and charismatic as a bar of soap, kinda show the quality of other NDP members in Manitoba if he could grasp the brass ring as party leader.
Yeah...I was a big supporter of Gary Doer...not Selinger. I may still vote NDP because my local MLA (Ron Kostyshyn) is really good, but if I do, it won't be because I want them to form government again.

I also used to support of Stephen Harper too...I don't do that either. I'm hoping that October 2015 will be a month of change.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 2:46 PM

Can't speak too much as to what's going on in Cromer, but it seems to be an ever evolving thing. CN built a small loading facility in conjunction with others and they haven't shipped a single car. But there's plans to octuple it's capacity.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Can't speak too much as to what's going on in Cromer, but it seems to be an ever evolving thing. CN built a small loading facility in conjunction with others and they haven't shipped a single car. But there's plans to octuple it's capacity.
Posted this earlier but as of April of this year these are the plans for Cromer Mb from the Journal of Commerce.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=704

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:22 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I found some material from June where TransCanada told people in Moosomin that the terminal would be NE of town and that they would build a feeder line from Cromer to bring Bakken oil in. Seems odd they would connect with Enbridge but a that is what they said.
There is a website up on the new pipeline.

http://energyeast.wpengine.com/about/the-project/

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 2:33 PM

Looks like they're getting close to finally shipping out of the port pending approvals and upgrading the facility.

Shipments of crude oil on tap
Fall start in plans for Port of Churchill
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...219365891.html

Quote:
Darcy Brede, president and chief operating officer for Omnitrax's Denver-based parent company, Omnitrax Inc., said negotiations are underway with about 25 Alberta oil companies that are interested in shipping oil through the port to refineries on either the east coast of Canada or in Europe.

But before prospective customers are willing to commit to anything long term, they want to conduct a trial run, Brede said. So if all goes well, a tanker carrying about 330,000 barrels of oil will leave the port on a test run in October.

Before that can happen, the port has to complete about $2 million in upgrades to its oil-handling system, Brede said. The upgrades, which should be completed by the end of next month, will boost the port's oil-pumping capacity to about 3,000 gallons per minute from the current 800 to 900 gallons per minute.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan