HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 10:51 PM

YouTube stream is back after a brief hiatus.

The pit is actually getting pretty deep. Only three drill rigs left, it looks like the 4th one was removed today.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 9:04 PM

Only 2 drilling rigs on site now. They seem to be making good progress in digging the hole and hauling the muck away - including on Saturday.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 9:42 PM

From Sept 9:

Quote:
After a summer of drilling and installing almost 800 secant piles to form the perimeter of the new St. Paul’s Hospital at 1002 Station Street, the teams are nearing completion and excavation begins in earnest this fall until early 2022. It’s estimated approximately 300,000 cubic metres of fill will be removed from site, an amount equal to 120 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

The False Creek Flats were filled in with debris, garbage and soil in the early 1900s. All of that “fill” needs to be safely removed so the hospital can be built on the glacial till to ensure seismic stability and durability for the lifespan of the hospital.

Construction is on schedule. While the bulk excavation is underway, PCL Construction will also begin civil works, including the upgrading of existing and new roads, sewer and water lines on site.
https://thenewstpauls.ca/a-blessing-...vation-begins/

The YouTube stream hasn't gone live in a month..

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 1:04 AM

An interesting CBC article explains how they're designing the new St. Paul's campus with the expectations of the False Creek flats becoming a flood plain withing the next 50-100 years. So They are basically building a sub-soil dam at the foundations to prevent water ingress and allow the hospital to operate even after sea levels move up the shoreline.

Crazy to imagine that new buildings near the water line are going to have to be built metres higher up, within our lifetimes. Imagine Vancouver's crown jewel, the seawall, underwater.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uver-1.6248197

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
An interesting CBC article explains how they're designing the new St. Paul's campus with the expectations of the False Creek flats becoming a flood plain withing the next 50-100 years. So They are basically building a sub-soil dam at the foundations to prevent water ingress and allow the hospital to operate even after sea levels move up the shoreline.

Crazy to imagine that new buildings near the water line are going to have to be built metres higher up, within our lifetimes. Imagine Vancouver's crown jewel, the seawall, underwater.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uver-1.6248197
They should build asteroid protection into the plans while they are at it.

Quote:
"The message is as we learn more about it, these changes in sea level could be more severe than first thought and even if not likely, there are some catastrophic scenarios that could occur," said Paul Myers, an associate professor at the University of Alberta's Earth and atmospheric sciences department, who was not involved in the study.

Chances of that happening are low, he said, but people need to plan just in case.

Myers compares it to the potential of an asteroid strike. While the chances of an asteroid capable of an extinction-level event such as the one that wiped out the dinosaurs occurs on average once every million years, astronomers are still searching the skies for them and ones that are somewhat smaller.

"[Astronomers] are talking about probabilities of well under one per cent — point one per cent or less — and they're still planning for it because if it ever were to happen, it would be catastrophic. Here we're talking about five per cent."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/sea-...ange-1.5144739

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 7:54 AM

as with everything in human history, we will procrastinate and do what we need to do when we need to do it.

that is what we have always done, and what we will always do. seawalls will be raised, dykes will be raised, pumping stations will be built, and life will go on as normal.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 6:23 PM

It's possible the piling is complete. Phase 2 (The research campus) is moving ahead. There are three shortlisted partners (Greystar Canada Real Estate, Oxford Properties, and NorthWest Healthcare Properties) and there should be a decision on which one will develop in the summer. The size has increased to 800,000 sq. ft. (about 200K more than initially indicated).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 1:01 AM

The livestream is sort of back. An update for anyone that hasn't been by the site.

Video Link

Only one drill rig left.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 11:18 PM

All the pile driving rigs are gone now. They're making good progress on the excavation.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 4:14 AM

Rooftop heliport planned for new St. Paul's Hospital
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/st-p...ampus-heliport

Quote:
A new application outlines a concept to build a heliport on the 11th floor rooftop, nearly 190 ft above ground, on the north side of the building — close to Prior Street, Trillium Park, Chinatown, and Strathcona.

To achieve the addition of a heliport, the application seeks permission from Vancouver City Council to allow a slight 31-ft projection into the protected mountain View Cone 22 emanating from Main Street near its intersection with Kingsway. This would allow for the enclosure for the elevators and staircase to reach the rooftop, providing access to the helipad.

As well, mechanical equipment previously slated for the rooftop area would be relocated to the fourth level to accommodate the heliport facility.

View Cone 22’s height restrictions over the new St. Paul’s Hospital site in the False Creek Flats. (Providence Health Care)

View Cone 22’s height restrictions over the new St. Paul’s Hospital site in the False Creek Flats. (Providence Health Care)

The new St. Paul’s Hospital’s heliport impact on View Cone 22. (City of Vancouver)

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 4:25 PM

BC Children's wanted one on their new tower and was denied as far as I know. Hopefully this one happens.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
BC Children's wanted one on their new tower and was denied as far as I know. Hopefully this one happens.
it seems crazy to me that we are forbidding hospitals from having helipads.

it really shows what our priorities are when talking about healthcare.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post

They have a ground level helipad.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Yeah a helicopter needs to land on the ground (pretty close to Oak St), then an ambulance needs to drive the patient across the parking lot to the Emergency dept.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
yeah because that is a good idea. land, take them across a crosswalk in the snow, wind, rain, etc. a rough measurement from Google Maps shows over 100ft from the helipad - the door.

then they will need to wind their way through whatever the inside corridors looks like. yes, great! /s

or if they built it on the roof, have elevators going directly to the dept. that the patient needs. yeah, no, that is too much logic; i get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Yeah a helicopter needs to land on the ground (pretty close to Oak St), then an ambulance needs to drive the patient across the parking lot to the Emergency dept.
i didn't know they used a ambulance for it. i always assumed they would just walk it across the crosswalk.

i mean how much time does all this add? literally when you're in these situations every minute, every second can count.

its ridiculous and asinine that these major hospitals cant do what any reasonable person would see as common sense.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
i didn't know they used a ambulance for it. i always assumed they would just walk it across the crosswalk.

i mean how much time does all this add? literally when you're in these situations every minute, every second can count.

its ridiculous and asinine that these major hospitals cant do what any reasonable person would see as common sense.
Time and hassle. People being air ambulanced in are in pretty rough shape. The ambulance transfer keeps them on a stretcher and stabilized. The walk would be another 10 mins maybe? It's pretty bad.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 12:45 AM

Last edited by jollyburger; Dec 31, 2021 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 4:49 AM

Quote:

Am I reading correctly that a hospital doesn't have a rooftop helipad because of a view cone? Please tell me I need new glasses.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Am I reading correctly that a hospital doesn't have a rooftop helipad because of a view cone? Please tell me I need new glasses.
Perhaps that is want he is trying to imply buy it’s not reality, no view cone covers BC Children’s Hospital.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Perhaps that is want he is trying to imply buy it’s not reality, no view cone covers BC Children’s Hospital.
no, i wasn't implying that in the slightest.

i was saying it is ridiculous that Children's was denied a helipad on their new building. (i don't know why) but it doesn't matter why. the fact it was denied is asinine. all major hospitals should have at least 1 helipad with direct patient access to various hospital depts.

it would also be equally ridiculous if St Pauls didn't get one for any reason other than that of their own decision.

the ONLY time it should be okay not to have a helipad would be when the hospital itself says it does not and/or cannot have one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver