HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 9:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
New proposal for a 14 storey residential building. Info and pic at - http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...456/story.html
Another project that is about as likely to happen as those residential highrises behind Tillicum Mall. Yeah, the ones that never happened.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 2:20 AM
Website Manager

Here's "the 834." There was some sort of issue with excavating the west side of the site, or doing the foundation work, so even though most of the building is up 10 floors already, the west side of the podium and tower is not yet complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noss
...the West side of the building was muddy and slowed down progress in terms of pouring concrete (which is now underway).

Quite a bit of the concrete for the west side of the building (the podium and the tower) has not yet been poured. There is exposed rebar on every floor on the west side of the tower where additional floorspace has yet to be poured. Here are some photos I took today.

See the rebar sticking out of the floors. An extra 10 to 20 feet of floor slab still needs to be put in place on this side.

The west side of the tower.

There is supposed to be a four storey podium (plus foundations) here between the tower and the red building. This is what will support the extra floorspace on the tower.

The east side looks good.

Work continues.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 11:05 PM

Hello Victorians! Not certain if this is best for the "Construction" thread here, but I am not used to the BC forum

Didn't know whether to start a new thread or not, perhaps a mod can move it if so:

Victoria upgrading to AHL?

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...351/story.html

Quote:
From the Victoria Times

Rumours swirling again of Victoria's return to WHL
BY CLEVE DHEENSAW, TIMES COLONIST MARCH 1, 2011
A rumour racing across Victoria, about a potential announcement regarding the return of the Western Hockey League, has been scotched.

At least for now. "There has obviously got to be interest in Victoria . . . simply has got to be because it's such a great market . . . but nothing is imminent," said Bruce Hamilton, chairman of the WHL board of governors. "It's a question of whether we can find a team for Victoria or not."

Sources have indicated to the Times Colonist an announcement may be coming this spring about a Victoria team in the WHL for the 2012-13 season.

That, however, is not the vibe Hamilton is letting out.

"We aren't expanding, unless Victoria is working on other avenues [moving an existing franchise] that I am not aware of. And I'm as closely connected as anybody," he said.

There, however, has yet to be anything of substance to any of this speculation.

Sources close to the situation indicate RG Properties, having built equity in the minor-pro brand with the Salmon Kings of the ECHL, were torn between potentially pursuing the pro AHL or the major-junior WHL. That internal debate has apparently been settled in favour of the WHL.

The issue that could change that equation is if the Canucks' main farm team, the AHL's Manitoba Moose, became available if the NHL quickly decided to move back to Winnipeg this spring with the Thrashers or Coyotes. RG Properties has built a solid secondary farm-team relationship with the Canucks through the Salmon Kings, and Victoria would likely be the first choice of destination for the Moose.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 4:08 AM
BANNED

^Yeah I wouldn't mind discussing this but it does belong in it's own thread.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Mar 13, 2011 at 10:24 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 10:49 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Hey everyone...sorry it's been so long since I've logged on here.

I thought everyone might be interested in this old Victoria Time's Article from January, 1964

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55063726@N00/5498521689/

I posted it on my flickr account. It has some cool info in it and reads about at 25 story proposal on the corner of Pandora and Blanshard Street.

I have a few more pics to post from around Victoria too that I've photographed lately. I've yet to upload them. In the next few days I'll get to this.

Cheers, Bob

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 3:34 PM
Website Manager

Last week

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 5:48 AM

Bosa is partnering with Bayview to build the second phase of the Bayview project. I think this sort of tower is exactly what the Songhees neighbourhood needs:

picture from http://www.bosaproperties.com/bayview/

More info:
http://www.bosaproperties.com/bayview/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 11:58 PM

It's confirmed. The second phase of Bayview will become Victoria's tallest building.

Quote:
Victoria’s tallest building to rise above Vic West
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/local-news...bove-vic-west/

After nearly five solid decades of holding the venerable title as Victoria’s tallest building, the 62 meter tall, 22-storey Orchard House in James Bay will slip to second place as a new residential tower proposal in Vic West moves from concept to reality.

Bayview Properties and its newly-introduced partner Bosa Properties confirm plans for a 21-storey, 66.3 meter tall residential tower perched above Vic West as phase two of the Bayview project (see Bayview One for information on the first phase).

“Unit ceiling heights will be in excess of 9 feet making the 21-storey tower the tallest in Victoria,” said Vania Wong of Bosa Properties, adding that project marketing is expected to begin within several months and be in full swing by summer of 2011. Rennie Marketing Systems of Vancouver is charged with the sales and marketing of the tower. [Read more]

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 5:32 AM
Website Manager

Downtown condo site on the block

Dubai company abandons plan for parking lot next to theatre - http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...#ixzz1HSfn8HbF

New design for the Cosmopolitian

http://vibrantvictoria.ca/constructi...al-commercial/

Tallest building U/C downtown. My pic from today.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 2:44 AM
It's all about the view!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
Hey everyone...sorry it's been so long since I've logged on here.

I thought everyone might be interested in this old Victoria Time's Article from January, 1964

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55063726@N00/5498521689/

I posted it on my flickr account. It has some cool info in it and reads about at 25 story proposal on the corner of Pandora and Blanshard Street.

I have a few more pics to post from around Victoria too that I've photographed lately. I've yet to upload them. In the next few days I'll get to this.

Cheers, Bob
Wow I wish that was a more current article! Anyone know where this was planned for?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 3:46 AM
Website Manager

NW corner .

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:42 PM
It's all about the view!

^ Oh where that piddly 3 storey office went in. That is a big density reduction!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 4:14 AM
BANNED

^No kidding. That Rotherham Building is a waste of valuable downtown land. The only good thing about it are the grounds.

Dylan, you said a "new" design for the cosmopolitan. Wasn't the last building with that name proposed for the NW corner of Vancouver and View years ago?

This building looks unremarkarble but it's still a big improvement over those rundown old buildings that are there now.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Apr 7, 2011 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 4:02 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Here's a few pics I took this last week. I got a new Camera just over a week ago. I'm trying to figure out how to use it...it's taking time but I'm enjoying it. I haven't taken City shots for ever just because my better camera broke almost a year ago. I'll be getting a good zoom lens for it soon too.

The Falls Downtown.

A guy doing a front flip in Centennial Square.

Uptown Mall..

I took this from North Park Tower with my old camera last month..

New Atrium

I took these pics yesterday...

Anyways I'll play with the camera a bit more.. These new pics aren't great...it's all trial and error. But at least I'm having fun with it. I'll try and post a bit more next week.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 10:10 PM
Website Manager

Awesome dude nice photos!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 6:21 AM
Ack Thptf

Great pics Great Scaper. Been a while since I've been in Victoria. Some nice building going on.

One question though. That lasts pic looks like a rendering. Did you do something special with that pic?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 3:27 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

I was playing around with the in camera HDR mode. It didn't come out as well as I hoped. The first photo was also an attempt at this too. It was a little under done but still looks better than the last pic.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 3:30 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Finally!!!!

A DOWNTOWN VICTORIA BURGER KING COMING!!!

This was an old Blenz coffee shop. Back in the 80's it was an A&W. Anyways it's going to be soon Victoria's first Downtown Burger King. There use to be a Burger King on the Corner of Bay and Blanshard..but not really downtown. That was also back in the 80's.

I'm looking forward to having this downtown. I like it so much better than MC D's... which we have over 20 of in the CRD.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 12:35 AM

That's a hell of a thing. The two McDonald's locations that closed recently were the ones that didn't have drive-thru windows. It will be interesting to see if Burger King can work there. The Burger Kings from before both had drive-thru windows if I remember correctly.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:05 AM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
I'm looking forward to having this downtown. I like it so much better than MC D's... which we have over 20 of in the CRD.
There is a Fatburger opening DT soon too @ 1209 Douglas St. - Much better than BK

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia