HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 10:16 PM

Supervisors approve hotels, restaurants, and shops for Kino Sports Complex expansion

Looks like preliminary plans are for the ice house and field house to be completed by August 2023, the arena by November 2025, and the outdoor stadium (and parking garage) by February 2026.

Last edited by Patrick S; Jul 9, 2021 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Supervisors approve hotels, restaurants, and shops for Kino Sports Complex expansion

Looks like preliminary plans are for the ice house and field house to be completed by August 2023, the arena by November 2025, and the outdoor stadium (and parking garage) by February 2026.
It looks like the Pima County Board of Supervisors voted 3-2 to pass this. So it barely passed. Apparently Matt Heinz and Steve Christy voted against it. I have no idea why. Steve is a Republican and Matt is Democrat. Odd. i went to the video of the session and no reason was really given to their objection.

Last edited by AZ71; Jul 10, 2021 at 9:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 3:22 PM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
It looks like the Pima County Board of Supervisors voted 3-2 to pass this. So it barely passed. Apparently Matt Heinz and Steve Christy voted against it. I have no idea why. Steve is a Republican and Matt is Democrat. Odd. i went to the video of the session and no reason was really given to their objection.
I've been hearing that the NIMBY opposition doesn't want the field house and that hockey has no place in Tucson. By that logic, we should get rid of the Roadrunners and the U of A Icecats. Additionally, the NIMBYs have said they opposed the water park and that water parks should go to Phoenix. I'm wondering if the two who voted in opposition shared the same sentiment as the NIMBYs. It is interesting some of the comments on Facebook talking about hockey not being right for this city and that the whole sports complex is a waste. One lady even said that Tucson was too small of a "town" to host regional tournaments....I swear the delusion that a metro area of over a million being a small "town" just irks me.

We can be a big and appealing city without becoming Phoenix.

Your thoughts?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
I've been hearing that the NIMBY opposition doesn't want the field house and that hockey has no place in Tucson. By that logic, we should get rid of the Roadrunners and the U of A Icecats. Additionally, the NIMBYs have said they opposed the water park and that water parks should go to Phoenix. I'm wondering if the two who voted in opposition shared the same sentiment as the NIMBYs. It is interesting some of the comments on Facebook talking about hockey not being right for this city and that the whole sports complex is a waste. One lady even said that Tucson was too small of a "town" to host regional tournaments....I swear the delusion that a metro area of over a million being a small "town" just irks me.

Your thoughts?
I definitely get annoyed at those comments about being too small. People under appreciate and somehow underestimate all of the different things we have to offer here. I support all of the ideas for the Kino expansion but I will say that water parks is a no for me. We already use too much water here in the desert and adding a water park just adds to the water problems...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 6:25 PM

Quote:

Your thoughts?
I agree. With the sports complex...this is an agreement for the PRIVATE SECTOR to develop. If the private sector does an appropriate market analysis, then let them build. I hate when the neighborhood leaders rally the troops and negatively effect a developer's plan if they're investing their time and money into the region. I've learned in the planning and development world: 1 million people is the key number for a metro area to "grow up". This includes gaps in amenities, services, and economic development.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
I definitely get annoyed at those comments about being too small. People under appreciate and somehow underestimate all of the different things we have to offer here. I support all of the ideas for the Kino expansion but I will say that water parks is a no for me. We already use too much water here in the desert and adding a water park just adds to the water problems...
I have a problem with nimby's controlling the development of a city. That is not the proper way to grow a city our size. You end up with a city like Tucson without any mass transit, freeways, etc. because one person doesn't want this or that in their neighborhood. I dont know how this became the norm in Tucson but it really needs to stop.

And I have a different opinion about the waterpark. Tucson has had waterparks for over 50 years. Both Justins and then Breakers. Despite what most people think and the initial fill of a park...a mid size water park only uses like 130,000-160,000 gallons a day. That isn't much at all when you realize 1 person uses 100 gallons a day. I get tired of agriculture getting a pass on water usage when they use 72% of the water. Or the mining industry we welcome with open arms. Rosemont Mine is projected to use 6,000 acre feet a year. 1 acre feet = 326k gallons. Or the Pecan Tree farmers down by Green Valley that use 200-350 gallons of water PER TREE!!!! How about the filling and seepage of all the fake lakes in our region. From Reid Park to Agua Caliente Park to Silverlake Park, all the golf courses, to the fancy home divisions with lakes in the middle. No one talks about them. So if people really are worried about water...then that is where we need to aim our complaints.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 11:32 PM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
I know many folks in Tucson are happy to head up to Phoenix for a water park experience (lord knows there are plenty up there). I would like to see City of Tucson parks upgrade the pools though. Many of these pools are fairly old and lack any type of personality. I agree with you andrew that Tucson has more to offer than people think. The Kino expansion will definitely help and hopefully that sparks some good development along Benson Hwy from Campbell to Irvington (nothing against the old motels/lodges and trailer parks....but we can do better along Benson Hwy).

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 2:15 AM

More soccer fields or European style fields going in near 22nd and Kino Parkway. I never knew there was this large of a market for field space.

https://tucson.com/business/european...ource=twitter_

How do you post pics on this platform? You'll see in the link.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 6:54 AM

Quote:
More soccer fields or European style fields going in near 22nd and Kino Parkway. I never knew there was this large of a market for field space.

https://tucson.com/business/european...ource=twitter_

How do you post pics on this platform? You'll see in the link.
I have Microsoft computer so I usually use a snip it tool on the computer to snip a picture then save it under my pictures. I go to imgur, which is free, upload it as a post and copy the BB code link to paste it back here. Once you get the hang it of it, it's easy.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 5:29 PM

Updated rendering for the project on the southeast corner of Euclid and Speedway. They're applying to move the houses that are currently there to empty lots in West University.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 9:58 PM

Public comments can be made until COB on August 16th. Link is in the article.

I-11 Final Tier 1 EIS Available for Review

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 2:45 PM

Take a quick survey about the future of downtown Tucson.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/newsnet#com...owntown-tucson

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 7:40 PM

Rio Nuevo is having their July meeting tomorrow on Tuesday July 27th at 2:30pm
Listed in the agenda are a lot of issues only discussed in executive session. And a lot of mentioning of legal advice and ongoing lawsuits for Nor Gen Arena, 75 Broadway, Film project and more. None of this sounds good to me. If anyone has more detailed information, please let us know.

https://rionuevo.org/wp-content/uplo...ing-Agenda.pdf

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Rio Nuevo is having their July meeting tomorrow on Tuesday July 27th at 2:30pm
Listed in the agenda are a lot of issues only discussed in executive session. And a lot of mentioning of legal advice and ongoing lawsuits for Nor Gen Arena, 75 Broadway, Film project and more. None of this sounds good to me. If anyone has more detailed information, please let us know.

https://rionuevo.org/wp-content/uplo...ing-Agenda.pdf
I think the wording on the Agenda for executive session always states the board will "consult and take legal action" no matter if an issue is present or not. In the May agenda, it said the same thing about the monier apartments and that is almost finished!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 7:55 PM

RN meeting 7/27/21:

Most, if not all of the important juicy stuff was talked about in executive session so the rest of the meeting was just updates and an expansion plan for Zenam on Broadway.

75 E Broadway: even though this was in executive session there were tidbits of information from Fletcher that suggests this project status is "unclear". Which is ironic since so much time and effort was spent to secure a loan etc and we should have more info by now, imo. It is essentially unclear since there are NO updates provided from the developers (online) whatsoever and the only source Of update I get is from RN meetings. So, if anyone has any inside info that would be great In the budget overview, they had 75 e Broadway project cost as deferred or postponed. I don't remember if it was this way last time or if this has always been the case but they explained that it's deferred because they wouldn't owe any upfront cost until a few years...

TCC improvements: same info as last time but Lot C parking garage might be a little delayed because of all the rain we got but apparently they are going to work around that. Technology and better WiFi going in. Water in the Eckbo plaza is still scheduled for September and the music hall is getting new seats.

Zenam restaurant expansion called the Bazaar: located on Broadway, they have a cool idea for an expansion to include the two buildings west of it for two additional restaurants plus an area in the back to house food vendors (kinda like Boxyard or American Eat co) but I'm guessing with more African, Asian, middle eastern cuisine. They envision a central kitchen for the vendors to use and a bar/patio outdoor seating. RN liked the idea.

Hotel Congress expansion: basically what you can read about in the daily star recently. Jazz lounge is being built in the meeting room area and then there's the outdoor stage area renovation.

I think that's it.. If anyone else listened in please chime in.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 2:19 AM

Quote:
RN meeting 7/27/21:

Most, if not all of the important juicy stuff was talked about in executive session so the rest of the meeting was just updates and an expansion plan for Zenam on Broadway.

75 E Broadway: even though this was in executive session there were tidbits of information from Fletcher that suggests this project status is "unclear". Which is ironic since so much time and effort was spent to secure a loan etc and we should have more info by now, imo. It is essentially unclear since there are NO updates provided from the developers (online) whatsoever and the only source Of update I get is from RN meetings. So, if anyone has any inside info that would be great In the budget overview, they had 75 e Broadway project cost as deferred or postponed. I don't remember if it was this way last time or if this has always been the case but they explained that it's deferred because they wouldn't owe any upfront cost until a few years...

TCC improvements: same info as last time but Lot C parking garage might be a little delayed because of all the rain we got but apparently they are going to work around that. Technology and better WiFi going in. Water in the Eckbo plaza is still scheduled for September and the music hall is getting new seats.

Zenam restaurant expansion called the Bazaar: located on Broadway, they have a cool idea for an expansion to include the two buildings west of it for two additional restaurants plus an area in the back to house food vendors (kinda like Boxyard or American Eat co) but I'm guessing with more African, Asian, middle eastern cuisine. They envision a central kitchen for the vendors to use and a bar/patio outdoor seating. RN liked the idea.

Hotel Congress expansion: basically what you can read about in the daily star recently. Jazz lounge is being built in the meeting room area and then there's the outdoor stage area renovation.

I think that's it.. If anyone else listened in please chime in.
I wasn't able to listen in to the July meeting, but I was reviewing the transcript of the June 24th meeting released. I found something interesting on Page 22 Line 15 about the "television" project. McCusker just says the city, Visit Tucson and Govt had an amount to give them which they assume would be approved in the budget at the state level. But McCusker then says he thinks they have a "really good chance at landing what would be a significant film project based here in Tucson." It sounds like he quickly goes through it not to discuss anything further and moves onto the next subject quite abruptly.

Is he talking about this HBO tv project or is this another "film" project? I only ask because I know for certain the HBO project has already been approved and Film Tucson folks have been meeting all the time with them and already have secured sound stage location, etc.

But what is also interesting is Chuck Huckelberry and CEO, Visit Tucson, Brent DeRaad did a podcast with Buckmaster on 7/8 giving an update on Old Tucson (which he said now wont be open until late '21 or early '22 and that the county is making $1.7M dollars of repairs). But he also said when discussing OTS that there is a "certain film that they haven't announced quite yet but will soon".

So what else might be brewing? I do know that YOUNG GUNS 3 is in pre-production but I dont believe its at the location scouting stage yet. We all know the first two films were filmed at OTS and Mescal. It would be amazing if they were able to get that film. But I know Mescal hasn't been contacted about YG3.

Anyways..the OTS discussion starts about the 38:00 mark
https://www.buckmastershow.com/2021/...A0r8jB9pCyMw7I

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 8:47 PM

Love Burger concept which has ben proposed at the Corbett building site at 6th ave and 7th st.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:20 PM

110 acres of land west of I-10 and east of the Santa Cruz River between Prince Rd and Miracle Mile are in the development stage to be rezoned to accommodate a mixed-use interstate commerce campus. Would allow 10-12 story buildings for high-tech industry.
https://azbex.com/110-acre-mixed-use...ed-for-tucson/

https://imgur.com/a/MwikGVI

PS: I did the Imgur upload and copied that link into the "add picture" prompt and still no picture. This website sucks.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:47 PM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
Love Burger concept which has ben proposed at the Corbett building site at 6th ave and 7th st.

I tried googling Love Burger and couldn't find anything on this concept. Is this a local only concept or some up and coming chain?

Kind of interested to see more.e

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I tried googling Love Burger and couldn't find anything on this concept. Is this a local only concept or some up and coming chain?

Kind of interested to see more.e
Yea...I couldn't find anything about "Love Burger" nor anything about the Corbet Bldg redevelopment. I'm assuming this isn't using the historic Corbett bldg but the land east of it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest