HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
I read that the official height of 75 E Broadway will be 250'. So that's a full 10 feet lower than the Pima County Bldg. So it will be the 4th tallest now. What a missed opportunity!!!
I dont know..maybe emailing Swaim begging to add height? It wont even come close to One South Church which is 330'. 80' different is pretty substantial. Disappointing.
Extremely disappointing but...and I think I can say this as a native Tucsonan...so totally Tucson to wait 30+ years for a new "tall" and NOT build a little taller for a new title. But, yeah, that's Phoenix's legacy also. I don't what this cult of shortness is in Arizona...exists nowhere else it seems. (sigh)

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
Extremely disappointing but...and I think I can say this as a native Tucsonan...so totally Tucson to wait 30+ years for a new "tall" and NOT build a little taller for a new title. But, yeah, that's Phoenix's legacy also. I don't what this cult of shortness is in Arizona...exists nowhere else it seems. (sigh)
Salt Lake City. Portland. Boise. Vancouver. San Diego.

AZ is not alone in this regard. Seems to be more common in newer cities with a few exceptions.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 5:07 PM

When the building heights are decided, I am assuming there is an engineering aspect to it. I don't think adding 2 more floors or 40 more feet is as a simple as dividing the current cost by floor and adding that cost to the total. I think the taller you go, the more robust the support structure and the cost starts to climb significantly. I think developers go taller if the economics of the project support it. It is probably much cheaper to build five 4 story buildings rather than one 20 story building. With land easily available here (and not so in New York or Chicago), you really have to develop the case for a taller building.

I also am not qualified in any of this, so I probably don't know what I am talking about

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Salt Lake City. Portland. Boise. Vancouver. San Diego.

AZ is not alone in this regard. Seems to be more common in newer cities with a few exceptions.
Not sure about Boise and SLC but every other city you mention has buildings taller than not only Tucson but Phoenix as well. This is an Arizona disorder, sorry. And when you factor in Phoenix's Top 5 city and Top 10 metro size...it's really pretty crazy absurd. Let's stop cutting developers and city planners slack here...everywhere else in the world, building height matters...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
When the building heights are decided, I am assuming there is an engineering aspect to it. I don't think adding 2 more floors or 40 more feet is as a simple as dividing the current cost by floor and adding that cost to the total. I think the taller you go, the more robust the support structure and the cost starts to climb significantly. I think developers go taller if the economics of the project support it. It is probably much cheaper to build five 4 story buildings rather than one 20 story building. With land easily available here (and not so in New York or Chicago), you really have to develop the case for a taller building.

I also am not qualified in any of this, so I probably don't know what I am talking about
I think you're correct. And many of these mixed-use buildings now include parking as part of the height of the structure where past "real" skyscrapers never did. So there has to be some kind of engineering aspect that one can only go so high. My guess is everything above the concrete parking will be made of wood. And I think you can only go so high with wood structures. That is my guess on all this. Its a lousy way to build buildings now.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
It's disappointing for sure. I think someone mentioned/inquired awhile ago on here about whether or not Tucson had height limits due to airplane flight routes more specifically FAA limitations on buildings if an airport is nearby which is the case for PHX. So I think that has something to do with it. In the case of Tucson though, it has more to do with economics.

Kinda read this from wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_restriction_laws

Old Posted Jun 5, 2021, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
It's disappointing for sure. I think someone mentioned/inquired awhile ago on here about whether or not Tucson had height limits due to airplane flight routes more specifically FAA limitations on buildings if an airport is nearby which is the case for PHX. So I think that has something to do with it. In the case of Tucson though, it has more to do with economics.

Kinda read this from wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_restriction_laws
I talked to the city planner about it and the general rule is 300' that was put in place on the books...but since all of downtown is in an overlay district they can go higher. Thats why ONE SOUTH CHURCH was able to go to 330'. And the antenna on the Bank of America tower goes to 360'. So it doesn't have anything to do with flight paths. Neither DM or TIA line up directly with downtown. Plus if you've ever flown into San Diego you zoom right beside taller buildings.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I talked to the city planner about it and the general rule is 300' that was put in place on the books...but since all of downtown is in an overlay district they can go higher. Thats why ONE SOUTH CHURCH was able to go to 330'. And the antenna on the Bank of America tower goes to 360'. So it doesn't have anything to do with flight paths. Neither DM or TIA line up directly with downtown. Plus if you've ever flown into San Diego you zoom right beside taller buildings.
The reason Tucson isn't getting a taller building is because there isn't an economic reason for a developer to build taller than necessary. Typically in most high rise buildings, the cost of adding a floor is not linear meaning that it costs each floor costs more to build than the floor prior to it. So, for example if we take a 20 story tower and want to make it a 40 story tower the new cost for the tower isn't just the original cost multiplied by 2. Additionally, if you add new floors, you will lose usable area on the lower levels to accommodate for the increased loads, and/or increased required elevators and stairwells and eventually you won't net enough square footage of usable surface area from each floor you add to really make pursuing building higher to be necessary.

What developers look for when determining how tall a building should be (aside from building codes, neighborhood requirements, airports, and such) is a sort of goldilocks zone. They don't want to build too tall and have to charge rents for residential/office units that are too high for the region they're in but they don't want to build so short that they aren't going to maximize their profits for the land that they bought.

In Shanghai, the city's Shanghai Tower is a tower that was conceived for the sole purpose of being the nation's tallest. Market demand didn't determine the tower's height. As a result it's struggled greatly. A very high percentage of the tower's budget went to making it tall - to give it the strength to be such a massive building. That caused the building to need to charge rents higher than the market was willing to pay in the city and it's since suffered from low occupancy rates.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, we have Billionaires' Row in Manhattan. Those towers are engineering marvels since they're so tall and narrow. They have huge unusable swaths of their floors that are completely unusable because they're filled with things necessary to support the towers' immense height and their usable floorspaces are tiny, relative to other skyscrapers. However, the heights of the towers are still market driven since wealthy clients were completely willing to pay for the penthouse suites to get the best view of the city & park.

Unlike New York, lots in Downtown Tucson aren't astronomical so the amount of revenue your proposed building needs to make doesn't require you to build a 40 story building to break even and even if you did, the rents you can charge in this city, even for a luxury apartment with city views are going to be miniscule compared to other American cities and won't maximize profits. As buildable lots downtown continue to fill up, it's likely the remaining ones will become more expensive and developers will want to build taller to make up the overhead costs but as for now it seems that Tucson's market isn't asking for a 300+ foot tall building.

However, Downtown Tucson is still doing phenomenal! 15 years ago we were basically building nothing downtown and had been for decades. Then in the beginning of the 2010's we got a few 4-6 story buildings and now we're wrapping up construction of apartments and hotels that are no shorter than 6 stories and it seems that this new Broadway tower and the 4th Ave. Apartments are shooting for 18 and 13 stories respectively. Outside of the core of downtown, we're still seeing fairly dense housing coming up (5 points area). Like other American cities, there just isn't demand for vertical office space like there once was and that's likely to remain true. The tallest buildings being built in cities across the nation are typically mixed use residential/hotel/office buildings or just straight up residential towers and Tucson is no exception. Height is vain and isn't a great metric to measure the success of a downtown area. Tucson's downtown went from a ghost town to a boom town in a very short amount of time. We went from having barely any apartments to opening up hundreds a year. The streets have night life, there is a diverse mix of residents, workers, and suburban residents drawn to attractions like Roadrunner games. Thousands of apartments have been built in the last decade and demand is strong (and not just by students). The population of full time residents is the highest it's ever been, the streetcar made the west side Mercado District a beautiful and viable region to downtown with great local businesses. The city is also blowing its similarly sized Southwestern peers out of the water. While Albuquerque and El Paso have been struggling to grow, our population growth stopped stagnating in about 2015 and has been up since while the other two metros are growing at snail speeds and we've been attracting better jobs and more workers since. The city is defining itself as its own entity from Phoenix as city that is culturally rich and environmentally friendly. Downtown Tucson's mix of residential, retail, and office space make it a better experience in my opinion than a place like Downtown Phoenix that has a bunch of office towers but no life on the street. Downtown is alive again for the first time since the urban renewal project of the 70's wiped the old barrio off the map to build the courthouse, the TCC, and the big empty lot between the TCC and I-10. Sure, the new tower would objectively be cooler if it was taller but I'm not going to cry that it's not. Downtown Tucson isn't a glass half full, half empty kind of thing. This glass is 100% full.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2021, 11:40 PM

I agree with some of what you said. But the cost different between a 300' and 330' is going to be minimal. The thing I get annoyed with is the skyline hasn't changed in 35 years. And the marketing possibility to changing that skyline and being able to claim it as the tallest will only help fill the place with more tenants. And really if you look at land...there isn't much open land available anymore in the downtown core without tearing something down and conceiving something else. I was disappointed they built that 6 story RendezVous urban lofts over what was supposed to be the 2nd ONE SOUTH CHURCH tower. Especially since the footings and depth to hold such a structure was already there. That was always intended to be a two tower project.

So many of us "skyscraper" fans were just hoping for that extra push. No one is vying for a 400-500' tower. I think most of us would agree its overkill. But I think we all would love to have something architecturally significant and beautiful that could define the city more...and downtown. I personally think the 75 E Broadway building is too wide. Its an entire city block. I would rather have seen half the plot used and hit that 330' height and used the other plot for something else. But yea, its cheaper for lower buildings. And I agree...Tucson's downtown has gotten new life. The planners were smart because of a few things. Rio Nuevo incentives, the trolley line and moving the UofA residential growth in that direction. It all contributed to it.

No one has really mentioned either what I call Downtown #2...which is the westside of the UofA. That is so packed with tall structures it really looks out of place to me. But they keep building. But I did hear that 4th Ave project of 3 buildings is currently dead.

We do have one last chance of a tall structure with the Speedway and Campbell project. Seems to be stalled though. I would rather see something of that height and style downtown where it does seems to make more sense. I wish they'd build that on that huge empty plot on Broadway and 4th avenue. That land has been empty for over a decade now.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapiwo View Post
The reason Tucson isn't getting a taller building is because there isn't an economic reason for a developer to build taller than necessary. Typically in most high rise buildings, the cost of adding a floor is not linear meaning that it costs each floor costs more to build than the floor prior to it. So, for example if we take a 20 story tower and want to make it a 40 story tower the new cost for the tower isn't just the original cost multiplied by 2. Additionally, if you add new floors, you will lose usable area on the lower levels to accommodate for the increased loads, and/or increased required elevators and stairwells and eventually you won't net enough square footage of usable surface area from each floor you add to really make pursuing building higher to be necessary.

However, Downtown Tucson is still doing phenomenal! 15 years ago we were basically building nothing downtown and had been for decades. Then in the beginning of the 2010's we got a few 4-6 story buildings and now we're wrapping up construction of apartments and hotels that are no shorter than 6 stories and it seems that this new Broadway tower and the 4th Ave. Apartments are shooting for 18 and 13 stories respectively. Outside of the core of downtown, we're still seeing fairly dense housing coming up (5 points area). Like other American cities, there just isn't demand for vertical office space like there once was and that's likely to remain true. The tallest buildings being built in cities across the nation are typically mixed use residential/hotel/office buildings or just straight up residential towers and Tucson is no exception. Height is vain and isn't a great metric to measure the success of a downtown area. Tucson's downtown went from a ghost town to a boom town in a very short amount of time. We went from having barely any apartments to opening up hundreds a year. The streets have night life, there is a diverse mix of residents, workers, and suburban residents drawn to attractions like Roadrunner games. Thousands of apartments have been built in the last decade and demand is strong (and not just by students). The population of full time residents is the highest it's ever been, the streetcar made the west side Mercado District a beautiful and viable region to downtown with great local businesses. The city is also blowing its similarly sized Southwestern peers out of the water. While Albuquerque and El Paso have been struggling to grow, our population growth stopped stagnating in about 2015 and has been up since while the other two metros are growing at snail speeds and we've been attracting better jobs and more workers since. The city is defining itself as its own entity from Phoenix as city that is culturally rich and environmentally friendly. Downtown Tucson's mix of residential, retail, and office space make it a better experience in my opinion than a place like Downtown Phoenix that has a bunch of office towers but no life on the street. Downtown is alive again for the first time since the urban renewal project of the 70's wiped the old barrio off the map to build the courthouse, the TCC, and the big empty lot between the TCC and I-10. Sure, the new tower would objectively be cooler if it was taller but I'm not going to cry that it's not. Downtown Tucson isn't a glass half full, half empty kind of thing. This glass is 100% full.
You're talking the economics of buildings. You provide a great read on that topic but it's not something most of us here are not aware of. Of course economics of constructions plays a part. But we're not talking 2x height economics. We're talking MARGINAL cost of adding 2-3 floors from current floor count. I would suggest the marginal cost is probably pretty low against add'l structural costs and the gain in rents long-term. Yes, it does take Chinese-like ambition to say, hey let's go another 3 floors and just claim the title. Apparently, nobody in Tucson who is building anything has much civic pride. The chance to build a new tallest (*marginally* so...) doesn't come around but every 30 years apparently. Embrace the challenge.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 10:57 PM

Union on 6th June 5 update:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aVWtgy7wrTo

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 4:12 PM

Construction imminent on the Grand Challenges Research Building at UA.

https://pdc.arizona.edu/project/18-9384?tab=camera

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:18 PM

Update on some businesses moving into the new Baffert Building.

3 new restaurants, butcher sign on for The Baffert at Five Points near downtown Tucson

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Construction imminent on the Grand Challenges Research Building at UA.

https://pdc.arizona.edu/project/18-9384?tab=camera
Also on campus:

Sundt Construction, Inc. recently returned to the University of Arizona campus to renovate the Old Chemistry Building it originally built in 1936. The renovation will consist of 55KSF. Additionally, the team will add a new three-story, 23KSF building consisting of offices, classrooms and a relocated machine shop and nuclear magnetic resonance space. Construction is scheduled for completion towards the end of 2022. Shepley Bulfinch is the architect on record and Poster Frost Mirto will consult on historic preservation.

Link is here: https://azbex.com/arizona-projects-06-18-21/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:24 PM

Roche breaks ground on Marana expansion

Southern Marana continues to grow as the international healthcare company Roche plans to double its footprint on Tangerine Road. On Tuesday, June 1, Roche broke ground on a 60,000 square foot facility, directly next to its current facility of the same size.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 5:04 AM

So I have some information on this entertainment "tv show" thing.

So I dont know if this means we got it....but I know production people for an "HBO" show are looking for sound stage space. The only HBO show I think anyone has even mentioned that has a big director attached would be that J.J. Abrams "Duster" show that is set in a 1970s southwestern city. So Tucson does fit the bill for the premise.

So maybe the production is still figuring out if Tucson is a viable option by trying to find a leasable space. They're looking for a 15,000 sq ft warehouse with 18' ceilings away from railroad or in a flight path of either TIA or Davis-Monthan. They're looking for a 1-year lease with the option to extend to (4) 1-year leases. Which says to me they'll see how season 1 does...and then potentially continue leasing for 4 more years for a total of 5 seasons depending how the show goes.

So what kind of pisses me off...is the utter non-existence of a sound stage that this even has to be an issue. I've told the city and county for years and years we have to build something for when someone comes. I've begged the operators of Old Tucson to rebuild their sound stage for what...25 years now. So here is the opportunity and a major production cant even find a warehouse that fits their perimeters. Tucson has absolutely no foresight whatsoever.

But keep your fingers crossed they find something. It sounds promising they are at least looking.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
So I have some information on this entertainment "tv show" thing.

So I dont know if this means we got it....but I know production people for an "HBO" show are looking for sound stage space. The only HBO show I think anyone has even mentioned that has a big director attached would be that J.J. Abrams "Duster" show that is set in a 1970s southwestern city. So Tucson does fit the bill for the premise.

So maybe the production is still figuring out if Tucson is a viable option by trying to find a leasable space. They're looking for a 15,000 sq ft warehouse with 18' ceilings away from railroad or in a flight path of either TIA or Davis-Monthan. They're looking for a 1-year lease with the option to extend to (4) 1-year leases. Which says to me they'll see how season 1 does...and then potentially continue leasing for 4 more years for a total of 5 seasons depending how the show goes.

So what kind of pisses me off...is the utter non-existence of a sound stage that this even has to be an issue. I've told the city and county for years and years we have to build something for when someone comes. I've begged the operators of Old Tucson to rebuild their sound stage for what...25 years now. So here is the opportunity and a major production cant even find a warehouse that fits their perimeters. Tucson has absolutely no foresight whatsoever.

But keep your fingers crossed they find something. It sounds promising they are at least looking.
Something west of 10, like where Dragoon Brewing is off Grant would seem to work.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Something west of 10, like where Dragoon Brewing is off Grant would seem to work.
Thats pretty close to the train tracks, but that is the right kind of building and structure I think they need. That's the big problem. Finding something away from tracks and a fair distance away from incoming or departing flights from DM or TIA. I've tried to help them with some out of the box idea more in mid city and going north to NE. But there just isn't much available. Neither of those buildings you suggested have space available.

I sent off an email to the mayor and all city council people saying if we lose a potential HBO show cause we've been too lazy to build a real sound stage despite knowing the industry is out there (and the fact Old Tucson stage burned down 25 years ago) that is pathetic for us as a city. Yet somehow we can sink money into Kino Sports Center, Industrial Parks, UA Tech parks, etc. Makes me upset.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 3:47 AM

Was just thinking, at 15,000sf, you'd actually have a lot of options in the vacant retail realm. For example, the old Bally Fitness at Grant and Swan is for lease and is 28,000sf. Ceiling height should easily be at least 18 feet.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Was just thinking, at 15,000sf, you'd actually have a lot of options in the vacant retail realm. For example, the old Bally Fitness at Grant and Swan is for lease and is 28,000sf. Ceiling height should easily be at least 18 feet.
Yes...I suggested that space too! The only problem is the old Bally's doesn't have loading docks which is a requirement of theirs. I suggested they look at it and see if the owner will install 2 doc bays for them. You never know.

I also suggested the old Kmart Building on Broadway & Kolb (but its WAY big. Not sure if the mere size alone is too much or if the owner could only lease half of the building. I also suggested the old JCPenney's at El Con. But again, enormous space. Problem with many of these is I dont know if they will want to go to the expense to retrofit retail spaces into empty warehouses. If that falls on the production team or the owner of the facility. That usually isn't part of a budget for a production. Or if zoning will be an issue as all these are zoned retail, not industrial. Or if the owner will want to gut a building for just a year lease if the series isn't renewed. Retail has a lot of complications than just empty warehouses designed as such.

What I've discovered is Tucson really lacks warehouse space. There just is NOTHING out there available. I guess thats good for our economy...but bad for companies or productions that need to rent.

Thats why I urge everyone to write Mayor Romero and every city councilperson and city manager to invest in a proper sound stage facility to be able to lease out space to incoming productions. City can build it then send out an SFQ for other operators to purchase the facility with the note that it remain a studio for lease to the film industry...or keep it under the wings of the city or county to operate.

The perfect place to build it is Gateway Center Industrial Park (there SE of the Walmart at Speedway and Kolb). Behind that Century Gateway 12 theaters off Kolb ...which I might add the building is for sale even though its opened again. They could retrofit that building into probably 2-3 stages if the city bought it. But its only for sale. So good for the city to buy...but doesn't solve this HBO show issues today. They need it ASAP.

Right now their best bet is an old OfficeMax off Broadway and Park if the interior height is 18'. They'll be seeing that this week. I've scoured the city for 2 days now trying to find something with 15k sq ft of space, 18' ceiling height, with docking bays and away from train tracks or airport. I've given them about 10 options, but all have their faults. I honestly think they're gonna have to give up their train tracks desire. That would open up a few more possibilities. And I dont think the trains come through that often.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest