HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
How's the construction coming along, does it look like it'll open soon?
From 37th Street it appeared as if the new Costco store was almost finished (signs up on building, etc). Looked to me like they are on track for a summer 2020 opening.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 4:32 AM

Last edited by Corndogger; Sep 23, 2020 at 3:57 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 9:53 PM

Last edited by Corndogger; Sep 23, 2020 at 3:57 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post

Paskapoo Slope
It's the Paskapoo section that'll fascinate me the most post-completion come winter time. I have visions of skiing cars.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 11:38 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Some updates on the West leg of 201 including a bit on the South Project of the leg. As far as I know the contract for that project has not been awarded yet.
All I can find on the Provincial website regarding the south portion of the west ring road is this:

”The Government of Alberta has selected three groups to submit proposals to develop the south section of the West Calgary Ring Road using a Design-Build delivery model. The submissions were evaluated based on several factors including experience, and past performance. The groups are consortia composed of construction and design companies.
Calgary Safelink Partners
EllisDon Construction Services Inc.
PCL Construction Management Inc.“

The schedule still has everything being done in 2022

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 11:45 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Great video of the SWRR progress by srperrycgy in the Canada section - I hope he doesn’t mind me re-posting it here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Spent yesterday morning filming the construction on the SW Calgary Ring Road. A lot of activity even though it was a holiday. There is a firm deadline of October 2021 for the road to be open.

Video Link

Last edited by craner; May 21, 2020 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
All I can find on the Provincial website regarding the south portion of the west ring road is this:

”The Government of Alberta has selected three groups to submit proposals to develop the south section of the West Calgary Ring Road using a Design-Build delivery model. The submissions were evaluated based on several factors including experience, and past performance. The groups are consortia composed of construction and design companies.
Calgary Safelink Partners
EllisDon Construction Services Inc.
PCL Construction Management Inc.“

The schedule still has everything being done in 2022
Is prep work normally done by other companies or did the government forget to post which consortium won the contract?

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Great video of the SWRR progress by srperrycgy in the Canada section - I hope he doesn’t mind me re-posting it here as well.
That is a good video. I drove some of those parts on Monday and noticed in the S.W. that they appear to be doing work on 22X well west of where 201 starts to head north. Highway 8 also appears to be getting expanded well west of where 201 starts to head up toward the N.W. It's too bad whoever is in charge of the SWCRR website stopped posting photos. I'd love to see some aerial shots of the work, especially of the areas that are inaccessible by vehicle.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Is prep work normally done by other companies or did the government forget to post which consortium won the contract?
The government can do prep work on their own before the awarding the contract. It might even be the SW contractor doing it for them. That being said, I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing about who won the next portion soon.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
The government can do prep work on their own before the awarding the contract. It might even be the SW contractor doing it for them. That being said, I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing about who won the next portion soon.
Thanks.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:44 PM

Key part of southwest ring road on track to open this fall, not 2021

Government set October 2020 opening date years ago in P3 contract

Scott Dippel · CBC News · Posted: May 22, 2020 6:00 AM MT | Last Updated: 42 minutes ago

For years, both the NDP and UCP governments have promised Calgarians that the $1.4-billion southwest ring road would not be opened to traffic until the fall of 2021.

But almost half of the freeway is actually slated to open this fall.

Alberta's transportation minister tells CBC News he's optimistic that will happen.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rail-1.5579780

The article goes on to say that it will be the Glenmore Trail to 146 Ave SW portion!

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:50 PM

The wikipedia page has had that date for years now.

Anyway, October is half a year away. Just looking at the amount of work left to do… Yeah, I think this is creating headaches for Alberta Transportation, just to land a scoop. Time for some damage control.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Key part of southwest ring road on track to open this fall, not 2021!
Reading the article, I don’t think the content is as optimistic the headline. Basically “Oct 1 2020” was mentioned in a document written back in 2016. All Ric McIver would say is hitting that date would be the “best case scenario”.

There’s a big difference between being “on track” vs maybe hitting an optimistic projection planned out 4 years ago. (Maybe I’m a pessimist but when it comes to construction assume the worst case scenario and add another year.)

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
Reading the article, I don’t think the content is as optimistic the headline. Basically “Oct 1 2020” was mentioned in a document written back in 2016. All Ric McIver would say is hitting that date would be the “best case scenario”.

There’s a big difference between being “on track” vs maybe hitting an optimistic projection planned out 4 years ago. (Maybe I’m a pessimist but when it comes to construction assume the worst case scenario and add another year.)
Other than the area close to Glenmore that's one stretch I haven't seen so I have no idea if they'll be done by October 1 or not. My guess is not. Next spring is probably more realistic.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Other than the area close to Glenmore that's one stretch I haven't seen so I have no idea if they'll be done by October 1 or not. My guess is not. Next spring is probably more realistic.
Farther south, The fish creek Blvd and 130th overpasses are done. The new bridge is done over fish creek, and remedial work is being completed on the original bridge(Eventual North bound lanes). The NB lanes on that area are currently being graded with a ton of earth works happening each day. The pedestrian bridge has girders in place and it looks like they are doing prep work for the concrete pours. Anderson interchange has all girders in and they have screed machines set up on them. I walk along woodbine most days and it is really cool to see how fast some of these changes occurred this spring. I might walk up towards the 90th ave overpass this weekend and see what it’s status is.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 5:11 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Bring a camera!

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 12:13 AM

Last edited by Corndogger; Sep 23, 2020 at 3:58 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 12:14 AM

Last edited by Corndogger; Sep 23, 2020 at 3:58 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 1:38 AM

Awesome updates as per usual Corndogger! Much appreciated.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:04 PM

Perhaps this subject has been discussed but I was wondering if anybody knew who the paving contractor will be for the new leg of the SWRR?

If it's the same as the SE and NE legs, then get ready for repaving in 5 years (they currently resurfacing portions). It's great to have a bidding process but you obviously get what you pay for and in this case it's crap.

NE is need of major resurfacing and SE is bumpy to say the least. Quality is quite poor.

Also, does the contract for the new leg require guardrails near abutments and light fixtures? I've seen and heard of a lot of unnecessary road casualties along the completed portion of the Ring road.

Thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure