HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUclimber View Post
Different cultures certainly have different standards, but if I were paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for a condo in this building I'd at least like the drywall to be installed neatly.

Just look at the terrible job they did on the air vent in Photo #3, post #7663.
lol. Becuase clearly they intend on leaving crumbled holes on the wall!

Have you ever installed drywall? It's crumbly, especially when you have to cut it and chunks break off of the brittle edge. And it's damn heavy too, and putting up a sheet of it and sealing it is a lot of work. It's a compressed powder, so it may seem airy, but it is much, much heavier than wood! It's made of Gypsum, and Gypsum is a rock.

If you were using a razor edge to cut a hole for a vent, and some of your drywall crumbled and the paper/cardboard covering tore a bit in a corner, what would you do, patch it up (since this is expected and they sell products just for that purpose) or rip out the entire wall and re-install, which probably entails hours of labor?

I bet you'd opt for the repair option. Furthermore I'd be really surprised if you walked into a room where someone was putting drywall up and you found no breaks or cracks in it whatsoever.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Have you ever installed drywall? It's crumbly, especially when you have to cut it and chunks break off of the brittle edge.
I have, actually.

And I generally patch it up before I paint it and install the finish hardware on top of it.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 5:47 PM

Quote:
I have, actually.

And I generally patch it up before I paint it and install the finish hardware on top of it.
It is obvious that this thread is almost finished as we have sunk into pointless debates about global drywall installation standards.

It's a beautiful building and I have been thoroughly amazed watching it rise.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 9:11 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

the interiors are ok...

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:35 AM

Quote:
I have, actually.

So, what - your conclusion is that they plan never to patch it?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 5:37 AM
Mile High City

I think the general surprise of the quality of the room that we have seen stems from the overall hype of this building. Maybe it makes more sense to make the majority of rooms "average" because there are just so many of them to fill, but I think many of us were expecting lavish rooms for the most ambitious structure ever created.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:06 AM
Hala Wal'la

A deluxe 1 bedroom at the Burj Dubai is going for 600,000 US$ on some floors which i think is pretty damn cheap , so i wouldnt expect lavish interiors in these sort of rooms

some apartments are going for 25 million US$ and im sure they will come with some pretty lavish interiors ....

you get what you pay for.

Yum

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 8:12 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
Burj Dubai opening delayed by three months to December

Angela Giuffrida

Emaar has been tight-lipped over the final height of the Burj, which is thought to have topped out earlier this year at 818m. Some reports have suggested the building could rise to 888m. Burj Dubai is part of the Dh73.4 billion (US$20bn (Dh73.4bn) Downtown Burj Dubai development.

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...707129966/1001

Are they suggesting adding a bit ???

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 12:22 PM
Dubai

19/July/2009

Burj Dubai

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 1:50 PM
Dubai

19/July/2009

Burj Dubai

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 2:30 PM
Dubai

19/July/2009

Burj Dubai

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 4:37 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Adding height to the BD would make it look bad. It's already taller than any manmade thing on earth. What's up with this floor [where the windows are translucent in the middle of the picture]?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 4:00 PM
Dubai

Armani hotel ‘will open this year’

Rebecca Bundhun

Last Updated: July 25. 2009 6:43PM UAE / July 25. 2009 2:43PM GMT The world’s first Armani Hotel will open this year in the Burj Dubai, its developer and the fashion house say.

Following reports this month that the world’s tallest tower would not open in September as scheduled, Viviana Giussani, a spokeswoman for Armani in Italy, said the Dubai Armani Hotel “is not opening in September but later, anyway by the end of 2009”.

Ms Giussani said the Armani Hotel Dubai opening “has simply been moved to a new date but this decision has nothing to do with delays or any kind of problem”.
The hotel occupies the levels between the concourse and the eighth floor, and levels 38 and 39 of the tower.

The final height of the building has yet to be revealed, although it is believed to have hit its maximum earlier this year at 818 metres. The Armani Residences, which consist of 144 one and two-bedroom suites, are between levels nine and 16 of the Burj.
“The first phase of the Armani Residences has been sold out and we continue to receive strong global investor interest,” Emaar Hotels and Resorts said in a statement.
The hotel is a joint project between Emaar Properties and the designer Giorgio Armani, who has personally designed the 160 rooms.

It will also have a nightclub called the Armani Privé, a spa, an Armani Dolci confectionery store and an Armani Galleria.
Despite the increasing number of five-star hotels in Dubai, Emaar remains confident the hotel will be successful.

“The difference lies in the fact that the Armani Hotel Dubai has been personally designed and conceived by Giorgio Armani himself,” Emaar said. “There are indeed luxury hotels in Dubai but there will only be one Armani Hotel.”

Emaar said a worldwide search to recruit 600 staff for the Dubai hotel had already started. Interviews have already taken place in Italy.
Analysts have said that designer hotels with global names were in a good position to succeed.

“I strongly believe that the key of success for designer hotels will be to partner with professional and experienced hotel operators, as Giorgio Armani did with Emaar Hospitality, in order to better differentiate themselves from the competition,” said Arnaud Andrieu, the vice president at CB Richard Ellis Hotels Middle East.

The opening of the hotel will be followed by the launches of Armani hotels in Milan, Marassi in Egypt and Marrakech in Morocco, and later in what Emaar calls the key international destinations of New York, Shanghai and London.

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....59956/-1/SPORT

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 8:38 PM

Man, it went by so fast...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:40 AM
Dubai

Last cladding panel at Burj Dubai

Posted by: Bradley Hope on July 28, 2009 2:45 PM

Emaar Properties just sent out these photographs of the "last cladding panel" of the Burj Dubai. There are some 24,347 panels already installed in the building. This piece will be transported to the tower in the "coming weeks" for installation.

One thing you will never notice in any of these photos is journalists. Emaar is on communication lock-down.

http://blogs.thenational.ae/crane_country/index.html

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:01 PM

"communication lockdown"?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 12:57 PM
Dubai

29/July/2009

Burj Dubai

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 1:16 PM
Dubai

29/July/2009

Burj Dubai

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:13 PM
Dubai

29/July/2009

Burj Dubai

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 1:55 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Man, this thing is dirty. It's good to hear that the last panel will be on it's way soon!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive