HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 10:02 PM
c'est le temps.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1011214...7635909904934/

Incredible Mammoth concrete wall.......wow, impressive piece of engineering!

But, if I remember correctly, is this wall only supposed to protect against a Category 3 storm?

Last edited by Exiled In Lafayette; Sep 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 10:44 PM
c'est le temps.....

I think you guys did a phenomenal job, the racks look great, Sad it took so long to finally install something that'll benefit the cyclists' community for years to come...
Would DPW or the VCC allow benches surrounding the racks instead of curb stops? It would be better protection from bad drivers, and be less a tripping hazard and liability. The benches in the link attached are at UNO, It could provide additional places to sit and rest, they're very simple but still stylish, solid concrete and maintenance free, any one can run over a curb and wipe out a row of racks........ a solid concrete bench would be better protection to protect your property.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1011214...7635989844994/

Last edited by Exiled In Lafayette; Sep 29, 2013 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 4:21 AM

Battle of New Orleans Monument

http://theneworleansadvocate.com/hom...leans-memorial

This is pretty cool, but I wish Andrew Jackson would have picked the site for the battle a little closer to downtown

Photo courtesy of The Advocate

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 8:01 AM
TL;DR

This is cool. It's such a simple idea, but it makes a lot of sense to put the interpretive stuff and the memorials in the shade, where people can hang out and rest, and then leave the battlefield open to preserve a sense of the original scene.

I had no idea there were even plans for this kind of improvement at the battlefield, but I'm glad to see New Orleans investing in other types of tourism and really glad to see them holding a design competition (we need more of these in the US generally).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 10:10 PM
c'est le temps.....

This is an incredible proposal that is well thought through and probably one of the most important proposals for the future and survival of New Orleans and Jefferson Parish. More than 30 years ago something very similar to this was proposed and shot down by many local political figures for reasons better left untold. I sincerely hope something along these plans transforms the water issues of NOLA, It's a brilliant idea that has already been a part of Amsterdam for centuries. It too can work here. I hope all of this is taken seriously, I have nothing to lose personally, I don't live there any longer, but future generations will benefit tremendously. It's a long presentation but well worth reading through it's entirety. Please check your egos at the door, and humble yourselves enough to come together as a community to support these well thought out environmental solutions.

http://media.livingwithwater.com/gno...ban_design.pdf

Last edited by Exiled In Lafayette; Sep 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Absolutely. I know ATL got Uber a few months back, hopefully it comes to NOLA soon. I would also add Car2Go for one way trips, and of course a bikeshare system. That, coupled with the transit improvements, could really make car free living in NO attractive.
We may all get our wish of a parking lot/garage free downtown someday. This WSJ article says we're 10 years away from cars being able to automatically drive you, drop you off at home, park themselves elsewhere, and come pick you up when you need. This could be a game-changer for cities like New Orleans.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 10:25 PM
TL;DR

While cool, that's not really a solution. We'd still need to accommodate massive numbers of cars somewhere in the city, and it'd have to be close enough to minimize waiting times. I guess the city could build some massive centralized garage, but we could already do that and then free developers of the burden of providing parking (hell, we should do that anyway).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
While cool, that's not really a solution. We'd still need to accommodate massive numbers of cars somewhere in the city, and it'd have to be close enough to minimize waiting times. I guess the city could build some massive centralized garage, but we could already do that and then free developers of the burden of providing parking (hell, we should do that anyway).
It might lead to people rarely even owning cars, and just taking a car service anytime they need, like a taxi but faster/cheaper/easier. If a car is an individual's/family's second largest expense (on average), then imagine what society would be able to do with all of that money people are saving. It could be like a second industrial revolution.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 12:53 AM
-

Ive been harking on this a while, but this new driverless car has the potential to change the way we think about cities and their design in dramatic ways. I can see why Google invested so much in Uber recently. These services would compliment a self driving car service. I love uber and this just means humans wouldnt be behind the wheel and that should make the service cheaper. Anyway, I cant see why we need the parking that we currently require if cars are no longer needed in the ways they currently are.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Ive been harking on this a while, but this new driverless car has the potential to change the way we think about cities and their design in dramatic ways. I can see why Google invested so much in Uber recently. These services would compliment a self driving car service. I love uber and this just means humans wouldnt be behind the wheel and that should make the service cheaper. Anyway, I cant see why we need the parking that we currently require if cars are no longer needed in the ways they currently are.
I would hate, hate, hate having to use driverless cars. I have a crappy little Mazda2 and I still love driving it.

Also, in the Battle of N.O. picture above, the color guard is made up of black soldiers...is this some piece of history that I'm missing?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Also, in the Battle of N.O. picture above, the color guard is made up of black soldiers...is this some piece of history that I'm missing?
Of the 8 thousand soldiers fighting under Jackson, 462 were free people of color from the Louisiana National Guard. I think they later on formed their own regiment or company. It may still be around today.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, Jackson made extensive use of the local militias of color during the Battle of New Orleans. Some 462 of the 910 Louisiana militiamen who fought were free people of color. Their valor was praised immediately after, and many received pensions. This chapter in history is significant (and it is represented at the battlefield site), because (1) before the Civil War, militias composed of black men were extremely rare in slaveholding states, since it was seen as a threat to the institution, and (2) it is a product of our French and Spanish colonial history distinct to Louisiana. During the French, enslaved men from New Orleans were sometimes used to settle the skirmishes between french settlers and Native Americans, and they would be freed as a result, but this was sparingly and informal. This tradition was institutionalized under the Spanish, who felt that if you offered consistent streams to freedom, then the enslaved population would remain content, because they would have a goal to work toward. The pardo (mulatto) and moreno (negro) militias grew under this period and formed one of the major foundations of New Orleans's large free people of color community. Thus, the history and tradition of militia service by men of color up and through the Battle of New Orleans is significant to the city's history, because no other southern locale had a number close to our free black demographic, who would then participate in an unheard of (in the South) cultural flourishing during the nineteenth century--literary, orchestral, religious, etc.

This is why the Battlefield makes use of as many black re-enactors as possible. Sorry for the long explanation, but this is part of what I teach and research, and I figured that this is a question on here to which I could contribute. LOL!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 5:00 PM
-

Quote:
I would hate, hate, hate having to use driverless cars. I have a crappy little Mazda2 and I still love driving it.

I dont think anyone will force you to do that, although your insurance will probably be much higher if you decide to do it.

Whole Foods Market seeks local vendors, employees
Posted by Marta Jewson at 11:24 am business
Sep

The Whole Foods Market on Broad Street is slated to open Dec. 16 and they are accepting job applications through Oct. 22

http://midcitymessenger.com/2013/09/...ors-employees/

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 7:34 PM

Airport to CBD Regional Rail Line

I am not sure if this was mentioned but i know that there has often been discussion of an airport to CBD rail line on this forum. It looks like that may be a reality in the next few years. I just noticed this in the 2013-2014 capital outlay bill passed during the legislative session back in June.

50/N70 REGIONAL TRANSIT AUTHORITY
36 (1907) Airport to CBD Regional Rail Line
37 ($5,000,000 Local and $10,000,000 Federal Match)
38 (Orleans)
39 Payable from General Obligation Bonds
40 Priority 1 $ 500,000
41 Priority 5 $ 4,500,000
42 Total $ 5,000,000

Only 500k is priority 1 for the current fiscal year which means they are most likely just funding the planning and design process this year but i think this is a huge step in the process.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillardAlum View Post
Yes, Jackson made extensive use of the local militias of color during the Battle of New Orleans. Some 462 of the 910 Louisiana militiamen who fought were free people of color. Their valor was praised immediately after, and many received pensions. This chapter in history is significant (and it is represented at the battlefield site), because (1) before the Civil War, militias composed of black men were extremely rare in slaveholding states, since it was seen as a threat to the institution, and (2) it is a product of our French and Spanish colonial history distinct to Louisiana. During the French, enslaved men from New Orleans were sometimes used to settle the skirmishes between french settlers and Native Americans, and they would be freed as a result, but this was sparingly and informal. This tradition was institutionalized under the Spanish, who felt that if you offered consistent streams to freedom, then the enslaved population would remain content, because they would have a goal to work toward. The pardo (mulatto) and moreno (negro) militias grew under this period and formed one of the major foundations of New Orleans's large free people of color community. Thus, the history and tradition of militia service by men of color up and through the Battle of New Orleans is significant to the city's history, because no other southern locale had a number close to our free black demographic, who would then participate in an unheard of (in the South) cultural flourishing during the nineteenth century--literary, orchestral, religious, etc.

This is why the Battlefield makes use of as many black re-enactors as possible. Sorry for the long explanation, but this is part of what I teach and research, and I figured that this is a question on here to which I could contribute. LOL!
No apology needed. Interesting post.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
I am not sure if this was mentioned but i know that there has often been discussion of an airport to CBD rail line on this forum. It looks like that may be a reality in the next few years. I just noticed this in the 2013-2014 capital outlay bill passed during the legislative session back in June.

50/N70 REGIONAL TRANSIT AUTHORITY
36 (1907) Airport to CBD Regional Rail Line
37 ($5,000,000 Local and $10,000,000 Federal Match)
38 (Orleans)
39 Payable from General Obligation Bonds
40 Priority 1 $ 500,000
41 Priority 5 $ 4,500,000
42 Total $ 5,000,000

Only 500k is priority 1 for the current fiscal year which means they are most likely just funding the planning and design process this year but i think this is a huge step in the process.
This is really exciting news. Anybody have more info?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:14 AM

CBD-Airport Line would be great...how does the state capital outlay actually work? Is there any other approval that must happen before the RTA can use the money? What does Priority 5 mean?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 7:22 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
CBD-Airport Line would be great...how does the state capital outlay actually work? Is there any other approval that must happen before the RTA can use the money? What does Priority 5 mean?
Priority 5 means the RTA is seeking to get state money this year but doesn't plan to spend it until later years. Often these are deferred to the following years' outlays, but since the project has been patiently waiting in line, it earns a higher priority in subsequent years.

$5M is a drop in the bucket. It's probably what the RTA needs to fund a full Alternatives Analysis study, identify a routing and design concept, and qualify for Federal New Starts funding. This includes planners, engineers, and a full outreach team, so the money adds up. Even after this study, though, our project will go to the end of the line in Washington, and there's already a massive backlog because of Congress' refusal to fund transportation properly.

There's probably some urgency to do this soon because the airport terminal is moving to the north side of the airfield and access by rail is about to get a lot more difficult. The study is needed to help the RTA and the Airport Board coordinate. I hope some thought is also given to rail access from the west... MSY is Baton Rouge's airport too, and it really needs to be a stop on the NOLA-BR line.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 2:04 PM
life is good

I am glad that the studies are proceeding, albeit slowly, however how frustrating. if Jindal didnt place politics above the needs of the state we would have a 90 mile per hour train between BR and Nola already

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:45 PM
c'est le temps.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
I am glad that the studies are proceeding, albeit slowly, however how frustrating. if Jindal didnt place politics above the needs of the state we would have a 90 mile per hour train between BR and Nola already
I'd have to say for a self proclaimed "Problem Solver" he moves a little slow when it comes to Louisiana State issues.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations