HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Like the women. Us prairie folk are a down to earth, hardy bunch.
Yes. So much excitement here when GWL built a second jaw dropping 5 floor tower on Osborne N and Air Canada a massive 9 floor skyscraper monster on Portage Ave back in the mid 1980's.
When Hydro was being built, the media said it would dramatically alter our skyline forever. What?
Not exactly.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 3:50 PM

I was downtown this morning and noticed a good amount of activity at the Sutton place site. Hopefully things are starting to ramp up again.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnickKnack View Post
I was downtown this morning and noticed a good amount of activity at the Sutton place site. Hopefully things are starting to ramp up again.
Don't give me hope. Not again.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:40 PM

I notice the crane is in different positions all the time. Not sure if they're using it or just weather vaning.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:05 PM

Just a handful of guys on site these days. Mostly working underground.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 6:52 PM

Hydro didn’t alter our skyline drastically because they went for essential big floor plates on 2 towers combined into one , if they had built just 1 slender tower with average floor plate size it could’ve been a 500 footer plus and there was something about the buildings “ shade factor “ in regards to Air Canada Park .

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Hydro didn’t alter our skyline drastically because they went for essential big floor plates on 2 towers combined into one , if they had built just 1 slender tower with average floor plate size it could’ve been a 500 footer plus and there was something about the buildings “ shade factor “ in regards to Air Canada Park .
Air Canada Park is shady enough, I guess. But geez, what a crummy reason not to build something taller.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 5:33 PM

There is a man in the crane.

I repeat. There is a man in the crane!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 8:26 PM

Excellent news, excellent gif response

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 3:08 AM

Quote:

Maybe it is Superman. He could probably complete Sutton Place by himself in less than 24 hours.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:17 PM

So, umm, anyone have any idea what they might be cleaning up here?

They're just pushing it off to the edge of the slab and letting it run down the edge of the foundation. It looks like it might be oil and if that's the case, that's fucked up that they're just pushing it into the ground like that.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:45 PM

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Excellent - called in!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Excellent - called in!
Hydraulic fluid from the crane maybe? I can't see why there would be motor oil. Either way, gonna nice extra 6 month delay when province orders them to remediate and fines Northland lol. These guys are such fucking clowns it's unbelievable.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 7:01 PM

Maybe they're just washing the crane.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Maybe they're just washing the crane.
Idk, on the bottom of the picture on the gravel there appears to be uniformly black or dark brown puddles. That crane wouldn't be that dirty. If it was wash water I would also expect some suds.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Hydraulic fluid from the crane maybe? I can't see why there would be motor oil. Either way, gonna nice extra 6 month delay when province orders them to remediate and fines Northland lol. These guys are such fucking clowns it's unbelievable.
Called the number rivercity provided (thanks again!) and the province's first response was 'call 311 because it's in the city and they can send someone over to see if it's actually a hazardous material and if it is they'll let us know'. They literally said that they were going to wait until someone could make a determination as to whether the material was hazardous or not before someone would go out - but at least acknowledged that it sounded crazy!

Called 311 and they were confused as to how to proceed, as it wasn't involving city infrastructure so they didn't think they had any option to get onsite - ended up passing me to Bylaw Enforcement, thinking that 'they' would know what options they had to get onsite to make the determination. Left a message but nothing will come from it.

Environment called back looking to see if there was an identifier for the company but I didn't have anything.

le sigh

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Called the number rivercity provided (thanks again!) and the province's first response was 'call 311 because it's in the city and they can send someone over to see if it's actually a hazardous material and if it is they'll let us know'. They literally said that they were going to wait until someone could make a determination as to whether the material was hazardous or not before someone would go out - but at least acknowledged that it sounded crazy!

Called 311 and they were confused as to how to proceed, as it wasn't involving city infrastructure so they didn't think they had any option to get onsite - ended up passing me to Bylaw Enforcement, thinking that 'they' would know what options they had to get onsite to make the determination. Left a message but nothing will come from it.

Environment called back looking to see if there was an identifier for the company but I didn't have anything.

le sigh
I'd try by-law again. Maybe also try workplace and safety? Finally, call your councillor and they can bash some heads if seen fit.

Edit: also found this number on the provincial hazardous waste website. I'm pretty certain that looks like POL which is super illegal and God knows what's down there that it could sleep into.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Idk, on the bottom of the picture on the gravel there appears to be uniformly black or dark brown puddles. That crane wouldn't be that dirty. If it was wash water I would also expect some suds.
Just spit balling here.

Maybe it is oil and they're pushing it to the granular material to sop it up. That's the standard procedure, except typically you'd cover it on the concrete and scoop it up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan