HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 5:23 PM

Whenever I am in Montreal for work/conferences I love going for runs along the Lachine Canal. As soon as the weather warms up a bit in the Spring it becomes such a happening area, filled with people young and old. I often use it as an example of what we could do at Lebreton in Ottawa....plus a new NHL rink.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 10:19 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Great to see a shot of the Hammer on here.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 12:02 AM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Whenever I am in Montreal for work/conferences I love going for runs along the Lachine Canal. As soon as the weather warms up a bit in the Spring it becomes such a happening area, filled with people young and old. I often use it as an example of what we could do at Lebreton in Ottawa....plus a new NHL rink.
When I first moved to Montreal in 2002, I was living a five minute walk from the Lachine Canal and it was pretty quiet most of the time, even on a nice day. Now it's absolutely packed with people. It's like the Seawall in Vancouver. That's entirely the result of the intense residential development in the neighbourhoods alongside it, including Griffintown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
When I first moved to Montreal in 2002, I was living a five minute walk from the Lachine Canal and it was pretty quiet most of the time, even on a nice day. Now it's absolutely packed with people. It's like the Seawall in Vancouver. That's entirely the result of the intense residential development in the neighbourhoods alongside it, including Griffintown.
Man I used to live biking/walking along the Lachine canal. That area area around atwater and on the other side of the canal where the point is one of my favorite parts of Montreal.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 2:55 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
The city is actively rebuilding all the streets in Griffintown, burying the hydro poles and getting rid of a lot of street parking. There are also a lot of parks and other community facilities under construction. It's a bit of a mess right now but in 10 years I think people who dismissed Griffintown will be surprised to find it's actually an interesting place. The ad hoc hodgepodge way it has developed is actually an asset since it will allow it to feel more lived-in than, say, Coal Harbour in Vancouver. Of course it helps that it's actually quite an old neighbourhood so the streets are narrow and there's a sprinkling of historic buildings that survived 1960s clearance/decay and have been preserved.

I think a better Vancouver comparison would be Yaletown, which was developed in a similar sort of slightly ad hoc way within an existing historic street grid and now that it's fully built out, is a fairly diverse, interesting neighbourhood; vs. Coal Harbour which was built from nothing and is now basically just a collection of multi-mullion dollar investment condos for the global mega-rich.

Coal Harbour sucks, but Yaletown compares more favourably to Griffintown (IMO). Of course, it's also a few decades ahead in the development cycle - but may be more indicative of how Griffintown will come to integrate into the wider urban fabric.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 2:05 PM
MTL♥

Helicraft on Instagram

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 6:26 PM

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 6:45 PM
Urban Fanactic

More Montreal
From my trip last October.

pics by me.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 8:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Love the Lachine Canal. For many years, I would rollerblade the entire length, from the Old Port to the border of Lachine and Dorval, once a week during the 6 warmer months. I never got tired of rollerblading the canal.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I think a better Vancouver comparison would be Yaletown, which was developed in a similar sort of slightly ad hoc way within an existing historic street grid and now that it's fully built out, is a fairly diverse, interesting neighbourhood; vs. Coal Harbour which was built from nothing and is now basically just a collection of multi-mullion dollar investment condos for the global mega-rich.

Coal Harbour sucks, but Yaletown compares more favourably to Griffintown (IMO). Of course, it's also a few decades ahead in the development cycle - but may be more indicative of how Griffintown will come to integrate into the wider urban fabric.
I completely agree. The City did a really great job on Yaletown. It is an interesting little area, vibrant, works very well into the urban fabric, and the city was smart enough to maintain much of its architectural integrity. Coal Harbour on the other hand was a complete missed opportunity. Absolutely no planning went into the area and was designed by and built for developers who just wanted a place for people to park their money.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 1:58 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 2:11 AM
The Vomit Bag.

love that shot of Ed

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 2:49 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
love that shot of Ed
You mean my avatar? Yeah that was taken years and years ago but it's still a classic.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 3:37 PM
I am the law!

Griffintown has a good start.

Coming from Toronto, there are great neighbourhoods where you don't bump into too many people milling about; poorly planned neighboourhoods with lots of people about; great neighbourhoods with lots of people. Density of people is overvalued.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 7:29 PM

For Griffintown, as of 2023, there are 9,600 housing units already built, including nearly 800 social, community and/or affordable housing units. Overall, there are still 8,000 homes to come, including 2,800 already in progress. In total, the population of Griffintown should increase from 14,000 to approximately 25,000 people.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 8:19 PM
菠蘿油

The comparison with Yaletown is more apt. Maybe an even better comparison would be Downtown South. Homer, Richards and Seymour were wastelands of parking, light industrial and the occasional intact historic building, and now they're part of a fully functioning neighbourhood.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 1:39 AM

Vancouver from the sea.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 2:01 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I recall that vista from my many sailings to/from Vancouver Island. It is nice to see that the formerly table-top skyline now has peaks and valleys, like the mountains that engulf it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:34 AM

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 2:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^great shot except for that wall of fugly concrete monstrosities at harbourfront from the early 80s.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada