HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 9:03 PM

^ That's what I'm talking about. Awesome nerds.
These will save us.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 9:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ That's what I'm talking about. Awesome nerds.
These will save us.
I wish there were more positive focus on science and technology. That has really been in decline even just since the 1990's or early 2000's, at least here in Canada.

The CBC is obsessed with climate change but almost all of the content is Greta Thunberg style finger pointing and moralizing. That approach will fail to cut global emissions because it's very easy for bad actors to make up for any emissions cut by countries like Canada or Sweden. The solution is to create low emission energy sources and transportation technologies that are more affordable than oil.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 9:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A few pictures from today's rally in St. John's.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 9:33 PM

Didn't notice anything here concerning the climate strikes. Haven't even found anything in the media yet. I'm not even sure if high school students held a demonstration. But we are a mining city... The only protesting I've seen lately has been concerning homelessness and Indigenous issues. But I do know many of the younger people here are concerned about environmental issues.

Last edited by Loco101; Sep 27, 2019 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 9:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Didn't notice anything here concerning the climate strikes. Haven't even found anything in the media yet. I'm not even sure if high school students held a demonstration. But we are a mining city...
We're an oil and gas city but still pretty passionately left-wing on these sorts of issues. The government talking points in the media today were basically:

1. We support the rally. We are part of the rally.
2. Government has a climate change action plan, and industry is on board.
3. Even without government funding, our carbon-contributing industries are taking steps to minimize their impact.
4. We can't just flip a switch. The world will need oil for at least a couple decades yet, and ours is among the lowest-carbon-cost oil in the world to produce.

The rally participants want two things at a provincial level - they don't accept Canada's declaration of a climate emergency to be enough, they want their provincial government to do the same. They also want us to stop investing in oil exploration (we spend a fortune on seismic activities, etc., to increase the value of parcels of our offshore because we can show bidders - hey, there's clearly X barrells here. So they spend billions to buy these plots of offshore land instead of just hundreds of thousands. They want us to not do that anymore).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
We're an oil and gas city but still pretty passionately left-wing on these sorts of issues. The government talking points in the media today were basically:

1. We support the rally. We are part of the rally.
2. Government has a climate change action plan, and industry is on board.
3. Even without government funding, our carbon-contributing industries are taking steps to minimize their impact.
4. We can't just flip a switch. The world will need oil for at least a couple decades yet, and ours is among the lowest-carbon-cost oil in the world to produce.

The rally participants want two things at a provincial level - they don't accept Canada's declaration of a climate emergency to be enough, they want their provincial government to do the same. They also want us to stop investing in oil exploration (we spend a fortune on seismic activities, etc., to increase the value of parcels of our offshore because we can show bidders - hey, there's clearly X barrells here. So they spend billions to buy these plots of offshore land instead of just hundreds of thousands. They want us to not do that anymore).
We are a left-wing city as well but we are not a provincial capital and we are fairly isolated. There just isn't the activism and enthusiasm here either. We are very ignored by both provincial and federal governments. It's amazing what mining and forestry companies can get away with here. I never realized how much carbon output there is in mining. The oil industry gets all of the blame.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 10:02 PM

VPD estimates "well over 80,000" people marching in Vancouver today.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 10:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
We are a left-wing city as well but we are not a provincial capital and we are fairly isolated. There just isn't the activism and enthusiasm here either. We are very ignored by both provincial and federal governments. It's amazing what mining and forestry companies can get away with here. I never realized how much carbon output there is in mining. The oil industry gets all of the blame.
Timmins is left-wing in the old-time sense, along with much of Northern Ontario.

It's the workers versus the company mentality - they want their share.

I'd not expect them to support a cause that would seriously erode their livelihood.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
VPD estimates "well over 80,000" people marching in Vancouver today.
A good photo on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...&utm_term=link

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 12:40 AM
Go Chiefs!

Glad this social gathering is finished. That so called strike was worst for the environment than a regular day. Image the litter they will leave behind.

Let's get real, Montreal saw so many people because a lot of schools/colleges/universities were closed. If those kids cared about the environment, they would stay in school and educate themselves. I mean tell them to explain to you what causes climate in their opinion. No numbers, no fact!

How about organizing themselves to go clean a park.

The climate is affected very slightly by human activity. No talks about the sun's cycle on the climate. How convenient?

Don't be surprised if the PPC gets more votes than the Green in the Federal election. People are getting sick of having to endure listening how the World is coming to an end in 50 years.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 12:54 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Let's get real, Montreal saw so many people because a lot of schools/colleges/universities were closed. If those kids cared about the environment, they would stay in school and educate themselves. I mean tell them to explain to you what causes climate in their opinion. No numbers, no fact!
Montreal's was so large because it's such a large city. Everywhere did those things. The university, colleges, high schools, junior highs, and elementaries in St. John's all issued news releases granting students academic amnesty (which, here, means they can suffer no consequences for missing classes today - if they had an exam, even at university level, the professor is required to reschedule, etc.). Our shitty public transit was free from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Countless businesses, private and public, let them employees leave at 10:30 a.m. I would be shocked if this didn't happen everywhere. It's a very normal thing to do. And when a city the size of Montreal does it, they get 300,000.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Don't be surprised if the PPC gets more votes than the Green in the Federal election. People are getting sick of having to endure listening how the World is coming to an end in 50 years.
Quoted to laugh at later. You're so out of touch with the world and scientific reality it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:20 AM
Go Chiefs!

Says the biggest extreme left poster in the forum. No surprise. 90% taxes won't be enough for you.

May's finance platform received a failing grade from economists btw.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:36 AM

WarrenC12 is extreme left? Guess I am too then.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Glad this social gathering is finished. That so called strike was worst for the environment than a regular day. Image the litter they will leave behind.

The climate is affected very slightly by human activity. No talks about the sun's cycle on the climate. How convenient?

You sound like you belong on AM talk radio. You should apply for a job

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Says the biggest extreme left poster in the forum. No surprise. 90% taxes won't be enough for you.

May's finance platform received a failing grade from economists btw.
That's high praise. I love being called both extreme right and extreme left.

I base my views on facts and science. Sometimes they point out hard truths like climate change and its potential impacts. I don't have an easy answer to it because there isn't one. Denial is ignorance.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 4:11 AM

enegy

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 4:16 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

He saved some ink...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 4:53 AM

A big day for kids is coming up Oct 31. Let’s see how many of those hundreds of thousands will refuse to partake in Halloween. What better way for kids to show the world that the climate is much more important than the millions of single use plastic wrapped candies that likely traveled thousands of kilometres. A climate strike March is one thing, but refusing to take part in something that privileged first world children are known to love is another. I understand that many of those who marched are too old, but they should be the leaders to prohibit their younger followers from something every child loves. One Halloween at a time, in every center across NA and the globe will have a huge impact in helping the climate. Lead us, children.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 10:36 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I can agree that some may exaggerate the significance of these marches but nothing prevented high schoolers from skipping both school and the march and playing Fortnite at home all day. Some probably did that but many tens of thousands obviously did not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada